FIC: Chanukmas (Part 3)

The third installment. Pretty sure there'll only be one more after this.

There are two songs used in this bit that aren't mine:

The Hanukkah Song, by Adam Sandler and
Christmas Song, by Dave Matthews.

So without (further) ado:

CHANUKMAS

(THROUGH CHRISTMAS EVE)
As they neared the front door, the noise still hadn't stopped. Buffy whispered to her two followers.

"Okay, Cordelia. If something starts happening, you scream. You're good at that. Willow, get by the phone and be ready to dial 911."

"Hold it." Cordelia said. "Why are we sneaking? Just open the door and pulverize -"

"One, I don't know who it is. Two, if this person has a gun, and shoots it before I have a chance to do any pulverizing.as much as I wish I could, I can't deflect bullets. I'm not Supergirl."

"Maybe you should buy a vest. You know, in case the demons get creative." Willow said.

"Remind me later. Positions."

Willow went to the phone, and Cordelia stood behind Buffy. As Buffy was about to open the door, the person opened it for her. Buffy raised the knife, and caught sight of the person's face.

Cordelia turned on the lamp, and they all sighed in relief. Buffy put her arm down.

"Oh.hi mom."

***

"Well, that was certainly an interesting greeting." Joyce said to her daughter in the kitchen.

"Yeah.um.sorry about that. We weren't expecting.how are you home?"

"They ended the gala early. There were a lot of people who wanted to get home to their families. I got the earliest flight I could. And I tried to be quiet, because I thought you'd be asleep."

"We weren't tired. I'm.glad you're home." Buffy smiled.

"You did a fantastic job. Both of you. How'd it go?"

"Aside from some minor.annoyances, it went good. Oh, you got Anya's gift by the way."

"She seems.nice, and a little different."

"No argument here."

"Looks like you got everything. A chicken too, I hope."

Buffy's eyes went wide. "Chicken?"

"Traditional Christmas dinner?"

"Oh, right.carving of a bird. I can't believe I forgot. I've been so busy and.we'll probably never get one now."

"Sure you can. I can go -"

"No, no. I'll get one. This is independent Buffy. I can handle it."

"Well, just remember that I'm here."

"And I'm glad you are." They were silent, each not sure what to do next. They weren't the most openly affectionate people. Eventually, Buffy caved, and hugged her mother. "Thanks for.being here."

"You don't have to thank me, Buffy. I'm your mother. I'll always be here." A few seconds later, they broke the hug. "Did you reach your mushiness limit yet?"

"Almost." Buffy grinned.

"It's almost two. Get some sleep."

"Yes, mom."

***

Buffy entered her room, finding Cordelia asleep on the floor, and the still form of Willow lying in her bed. She quietly walked over to her bed, not wanting to disturb them. She sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Is everything okay?" Willow asked softly.

Buffy jumped. "I thought you were asleep."

"I waited for you."

"Yeah. Everything's fine. I feel better -"

"Now that she's here?" She saw Buffy nod. "Good. Then it's time for a nice, restful sleep."

"Sounds good to me." Buffy laid down, and snuggled closer to Willow. "Love you, Will."

"Feeling's mutual." Willow replied, kissing Buffy's hair. "Night, Buffy."

"Night."

***

The following nights went pretty much in the same fashion. The lighting of the next candle, arrival of their friends, exchange of gifts. And comments by Spike.

The second night was a Christmas moviefest. Snoopy, Rudolph, Frosty, A Christmas Story, all the classics.

The third night, Willow made Latkes, Hebrew for potato pancakes. After two mornings of searching, the three girls finally found a chicken for Christmas dinner. An expensive one, but they found it.

The fourth night, they watched a video on the history of Chanukah. It explained how the Greek kings had outlawed the Jewish religion. Their army ravaged over everything, and when they entered the Sanctuary, they defiled all the oils, and when the Maccabees defeated them, they searched and found only one remaining jar of oil with the seal of the Kohen Gadol, the High Priest. Although it contained only enough oil to burn for one day, a miracle occurred, and the oil burned eight days.

The fifth night, they all went skating at the rink just outside of town, and then out to eat.

It was the sixth night. Anya's hatred of Cordelia had dwindled since the first night. She realized Cordelia was no longer a threat, so she was being civil, and acknowledging Xander's presence again. They were all in the living room just listening to music.

Joyce, sitting next to her daughter on the couch, looked over at Spike, and then whispered to Buffy.

"Untie him."

"What?"

"He's uncomfortable."

"That's the point. He's a vampire, mom. Tried to kill me and most of the people in this room? Ringing any bells?"

"He can't hurt anyone now, can he?"

"Not really."

"Then untie him. He may be a vampire, but he's still a guest in our house."

"But."

"Buffy."

Buffy got up reluctantly, and got behind Spike's chair.

"Just shut up. Not a word."

"I knew I always liked your mum."

"Whatever." Buffy said, sighing, and undoing the last knot.

He stood up. "Aw, cheer up, Slayer. I won't tell the boys your mother pulled rank on you."

"Course you won't. Because then they'd use you as a punching bag, then starve you, tease you, and make," She looked at his groin area, "fang jokes. No, you won't tell anybody, Spike. You've got it too good here."

"I swear.I'll rip."

Buffy walked over toward the stereo, where Xander headed her off.

"Getting our minds off whiny, fangless people," Spike glared at him, "I think it's time for a change in music. Don't get me wrong, I love the classic 'Oh Tannenbaum' and the well written 'Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel', but it's time for some real holiday tunes. First, the comic stylings of Adam Sandler."

He put two CD's in the stereo, and hit play. The song came on.

(This is a song, that uh, there's a lot of Christmas songs out there, but not too many about Hanukkah, so I wrote a song for all those nice little Jewish kids who don¹t get to hear any Hanukkah songs -here we go...

(Put on your yalmulka, here comes Hanukkah

It's so much fun-akkah to celebrate Hanukkah,

(Hanukkah is the Festival of Lights,

Instead of one day of presents, we have eight crazy nights.

(When you feel like the only kid in town without a Christmas tree,

Here's a list of people who are Jewish, just like you and me:

(David Lee Roth lights the menorah,

So do James Caan, Kirk Douglas, and the late Dinah Shore-ah

(Guess who eats together at the Karnickey Deli,

Bowzer from Sha-na-na, and Arthur Fonzerrelli.

(Paul Newman's half Jewish; Goldie Hawn's half too,

Put them together--what a fine lookin' Jew!

(You don't need "Deck the Halls" or "Jingle Bell Rock" [E]

Cause you can spin the dreidel with Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock--both Jewish!

(Put on your yalmulka, it's time for Hanukkah,

The owner of the Seattle Supersonic-ahs celebrates Hanukkah.

(O.J. Simpson--not a Jew!

But guess who is...Hall of Famer--Rod Carew-- he converted!

(We got Ann Landers and her sister Dear Abby,

Harrison Ford's a quarter Jewish--not too shabby!

(Some people think that Ebeneezer Scrooge is,

Well, he's not, but guess who is: All three stooges.

(So many Jews are in show biz--

Tom Cruise isn't, but I heard his agent is.

(Tell your friend Veronica, it's time you celebrate Hanukkah.

I hope I get a harmonica, on this lovely, lovely Hanukkah.

(So drink your gin-and-tonic-ah, and smoke your marajuanic-ah,

If you really, really wanna-kah, Have a happy, happy, happy, happy Hanukkah.)

Xander looked at their puzzled faces. "No?" They shook their heads. Even Willow. "Okay, fine. Try this. Dave Matthews."

(She was his girl; he was her boyfriend
She be his wife; take him as her husband
A surprise on the way, any day, any day
One healthy little giggling dribbling baby boy
The wise men came three made their way
To shower him with love
While he lay in the hay

(Shower him with love love love
Love love love
Love love is all around

(Not very much of his childhood was known
Kept his mother Mary worried
Always out on his own
He met another Mary for a reasonable fee, less than
Reputable was known to be

(His heart was full of love love love
Love love love
Love love is all around

(When Jesus Christ was nailed to his tree
Said "oh, Daddy-o I can see how it all soon will be
I came to shed a little light on this darkening scene
Instead I fear I spill the blood of my children all around"

(The blood of our children all around
The blood of our children all around
The blood of our children all around

(So I'm told, so the story goes,
The people he knew were
Less than golden hearted
Gamblers and robbers
Drinkers and jokers, all soul searchers
Like you and me

(Rumors insisted he soon would be
For his deviations
Taken into custody by the authorities
Less informed than he.
Drinkers and jokers. all soul searchers

(Searching for love love love
Love love love
Love love is all around

(Preparations were made
For his celebration day
He said "eat this bread and think of it as me
Drink this wine and dream it will be

(The blood of our children all around
The blood of our children all around
The blood of our children all around"

(Father up above, why in all this hatred do you fill
Me up with love
Fill me love love love
Love love love
Love love
And the blood of our children all around)

He got nods this time.

"Better." Buffy said.

"Adam Sandler's funny and all, I just don't see the hype over that song. They really do need to make better Chanukah songs." Willow said.

"They're right." Cordelia said.

"Actually, I thought they both -" Spike started as Buffy elbowed him in the stomach.

***

It was Christmas Eve now. Tonight was the group sleepover, so tomorrow they could all wake up Christmas morning and open the gifts. Well, except Giles, who took Spike with him and said they'd be back in the morning.

At the moment, Buffy and Willow were sitting on the couch, relaxing. Joyce had taken the rest of the gang on a drive through the town to see how the other houses set up their outside Christmas lights and decorations. The two of them had politely declined, simply because they were exhausted.

"Tomorrow's gonna be the busiest day, you know." Buffy said.

"Yep. Cooking. Lots of -"

"Cooking. Lots and lots and even more lots."

"Sure is a lot of lots."

"Has to be a lot."

"Because there's lots."

"Yeah.wait. What were we talking about again?"

"No idea." They both started laughing hysterically.

"Okay," Buffy began saying catching her breath, "either we've both just become certifiable, or somebody slipped us some eggnog. A lot."

They started laughing again. When they calmed down, Willow spoke. "Ooh, that sounds good. Make it?"

"Why me?"

"Why not?"

"Fine. Just be glad I'm a pushover."

"Oh I am." Willow flashed Buffy her brightest smile.

Buffy got up and stood over her. "You know what? Sometimes you just make me want to."

"What?"

"Kiss you." Buffy said, and leaned down, and covered Willow's with hers.

"This is nice." Willow said, when she could get words out, "but it still doesn't get you off the hook. I want nog."

"Okay.you win. But you'll pay."

"You're all talk."

Buffy couldn't think of a comeback, so with a false look of defeat, made her way into the kitchen. Smiling in triumph, Willow got up and went to look out the window. She thought she saw someone. Watching closely, she was sure of it.

"When I held that gun, I felt an incredible surge of power. Like God must feel when he's holding a gun.." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You've been fighting evil here for three years, and I've helped some, and now we're supposed to decide what we want to do with our lives. And I just realized that that's what I want to do. Fight evil, help people. I mean, I think it's worth doing. And I don't think you do it because you have to. It's a good fight, Buffy, and I want in."

"I kind of love you."
(Willow Rosenberg, Buffy Summers, BTVS)

"Don't.."
"What? Don't love you? I didn't know I got a choice in that."
(Angel, Buffy Summers, BTVS)