From: badbard <tiger_by_night@xxxxxxxxx>
To: buffyloveswillow@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [buffyloveswillow] FF Slow Dance Around It
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 19:29:18 -0800 (PST)

Slow Dance Around It
by badbard
(tiger_by_night@xxxxxxxxx)

WARNING/DISCLAIMER:- Buffy, Willow and Xander belong
to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy & Warner Bros. I know
profit like Xander knows good taste, in other words,
I'm making nothing except for happies.

I make use of the lyrics to the dance hit 'Bizarre
Love Triangle' as produced and mixed by Stephen Hague
& Mike 'Spike' Drake for the band, 'New Order'.

Timezone - takes place towards end of third season.

Two girls in love. If that offends, you're missing
out on something special.

Finally I must admit to a happy ending at long
friggin' last. It PAINS me to write such. *EG* As
such I included some er...pain in my happy ending.
But it is happy. Really.

***

Xander inched closer to Willow on their customary
couch at the Bronze. Why had he taken so long to see
the blazing light? Willow, his little Willow, his
faithful friend from first grade and beyond, loved
him. Loved him as more than a faithful friend. Loved
him like a...here Xander gulped...like a lover. Or a
lover to be. In a way no other girl seemed to even
consider him, not even Cordy. He hadn't wanted to see
it. He'd looked the other way and turned the other
cheek to her tentative kiss. 'Rosenburg' hadn't been
his idea of an exciting date. No, Xander had
preferred batting in the big leagues and striking out
each and every innings.

No longer. To the hellmouth with Cordy and that
stupid, insipid Wesley. Damnit, Xander was hurting
and Willow, his Willow, was the only one who could
take away the pain. Forget Oz and his puppy-dog looks
of longing. Hair-ball-boy didn't scare Xander one
bit. Well, okay, maybe quite a bit but that was no
reason to shy away. Oz would scarcely dare to bite
the hand that locked him up on the full moon, would
he? Would he? Eh, Xander could live with a bloodied
nose and a rabies shot. What he couldn't live without
was Willow. Why, any second now he was going to be a
real man and turn to her and take her into his arms
and...do something. Something exciting!

Willow gazed into the blazing disco lights that lit
pockmarks of the dancefloor. Where was she? Who
was she with tonight?

Xander followed Willow's wide-eyed wonder. He
followed it and found Buffy on the other end and had
to pause to take a lengthy lustful look of his own.
The Slayer was dancing by herself, swaying sinuously
from the shadows to the light and slipping back into
the dark. There was moonlight in her hair and
bloodlust in her eyes and an enigmatic mood in her
every movement.

"Buffy," Willow whispered and Xander was shocked from
his reverie. He turned to tell his oldest friend
earnestly,

"She's so beautiful."

"I know," nodded Willow. "I don't think she does
though."

"No?" wondered Xander, turning to gaze at Buffy again.
For just a whisper of time, steady green eyes caught
his and he caught his breath. Then Buffy looked down,
knowing her watchers would too, studying her slightly
rocking hips as she curved her hands up and over them.

"Oh!" gasped Willow.

"She knows," sighed Xander, crossing his legs and
looking uncomfortable. "She's always known." He
could remember another night so clearly now, a night
when he'd been Buffy's dance partner, a night when
she'd toyed with him mercilessly. A night he'd
dreamed about countless nights since. Cibo Matto
playing Sugar Water. Buffy, guiding his aching body
to hers, asking him to dance. Buffy, moving him to
her beat. The smell of Buffy's silky hair, the light
that wasn't in her anguished eyes, the play of shadows
across the golden expanse of her skin. Looking up for
an instant, catching Angel's impotent rage, hurling it
back at him with a triumphant smirk. Catching
Willow's wide green eyes, watching them with wishing
and wondering about it.

Yes, Willow loved him. They were more than friends.

Buffy's head went back, baring her throat to the
hungry disco light, even as her busy hands smoothed
suggestively at her little black dress.

"Oh!" gasped Willow.

Xander couldn't stand it anymore. He grabbed his
oldest friend by the hand and pulled her up and onto
the dance floor. He went to take her other hand but
suddenly Buffy was there, excercising her Slayer
reflexes, slipping between them, curling a slender
muscled arm around Willow's neck.

"Dance with me," she commanded.

"Oh!" gasped Willow.

"I'll take that as a yes," grinned the Slayer as she
slid behind her closest friend, resting her head on
Willow's shoulder as her arms hugged Willow's waist.

"But..." began Xander when Willow smiled up at him.
She looked so happy. Surprised, excited, terrified
too but he knew that smile anywhere. That was
Willow's, 'I just hacked into the school's records and
you're not gonna fail, Xander and be kept down like
you would be if you didn't know me' smile. That was
the smile of guilty pleasure. Xander grinned back.
Partly because he was getting some major cleavage view
at that point and partly because the band had stopped
playing their unadulterated crap and had started
ruining other people's songs.

Buffy's warm lips moved against Willow's neck as the
opening notes of New Order's version of the dance hit
Bizarre Love Triangle lit up the dance floor. "I like
this song. Reminds me of..."

"Adult's Only Channel?" asked Xander cheekily.

"That too," smiled back Buffy. "But mostly us. All
of us."

*Everytime I think of you
I feel a shot right throught with a bolt of blue*

Willow blushed. Xander gazed at her but she wasn't
looking at him.

*It's no problem of mine
But it's a problem I find
Living a life that I can't leave behind*

All of a sudden he was back to that night and that one
deadly dance. Buffy, seduction personified. Xander,
sooo seduced. Angel, the undead, rejected for the
living, looking like he was going to die all over
again...

*There's no sense in telling me
The wisdom of the fool won't set your free*

Buffy's hands slipped down to push Willow's hips back
against hers. Her breathless smile met Xander's
shocked brown eyes over Willow's shoulder.

*'Cause that's the way that it goes
And it's what nobody knows
Well, everyday my confusion grows*

Xander felt lightheaded. The music was the tide and
it was pulling him in. He was drowning in Willow's
tear-filled eyes and burning up in Buffy's.

*Everytime I see you falling
I get down on my knees and pray*

Willow had turned into Buffy's embrace now and was
nestling against her neck. Xander felt like he was
about to fall off his feet. He wanted nothing more
than to pull one of them away. It didn't matter
which. He loved them both.

*I'm waiting for that final moment
You say the words that I can't say*

Willow dared to look down into Buffy's own brimming
eyes. She dared to kiss Buffy's upturned nose.

*I feel fine and I feel good
I feel like I never should*

Buffy looked like she couldn't believe it. Her hands
went to frame her best friend's face. Xander felt
like he was going to faint.

*Whenever I get this way
I just don't know what to say
Why can't we be ourselves like we were yesterday?*

Xander stumbled to the wall and leaned against it's
comforting strength. This wall would always be
here...unless of course demons invaded AGAIN and the
slayerettes found the need to blow up the Bronze...

*I'm not sure what this could mean
I don't think you are what you seem*

A muscle worked in Xander's jaw as he watched his
Willow and his Buffy beam at each other in
ever-growing excitement. For some strange reason
Angel flashed into his mind. Angel, hearing Buffy was
in danger, morphing into vamp mode, teeth shooting to
the fore with the force of his unexcercised emotions.

*I do admit to myself
That if I had someone else
Then I'll never see just what we're meant to be*

All three friends looked at the floor unable to stand
the intensity of what they were feeling. Buffy was
back in Angel's bed, safe asleep while he screamed in
agony outside, loosing his soul. Willow kissed an
injured Xander and Xander looked up from his bloodied
bed to see Cordy falling down the stairs...they'd all
been through so much together.

*Everytime I see you falling
I get down on my knees and pray
I'm waiting for that final moment
You say the words that I can't say*

"Willow," gasped Xander, searching the now crowded
dancefloor for his best buddy. "Willow, I love you.
Willow? Willow!" The music pounded in his brain.
Screaming his love over the lyrics, he pushed past
gyrating couples.

*Everytime I see you falling
I get down on my knees and pray
I'm waiting for that final moment
You say the words that I can't say*

"Buffy," gasped Willow, gathering her courage like it
was her magick and hoping against hope Buffy would be
spellbound. "Buffy, I love you." Buffy stopped
dancing. Stared at Willow like she didn't understand.
Felt weak in a way a Slayer wasn't supposed to feel.
Grabbing Willow's hands she sank to her knees, taking
the terrified hacker down with her.

"S...say that again," she stammered.

Xander burst through as the music ended, tearing a
happy couple apart in his haste. "Willow," he
started, absolutely determined. Then his brain
registered the sight he was seeing. His two best
friends were on the floor, down on their knees, eyes
tightly closed, lips pressing softly together.

Xander promptly had a coughing fit. Relunctantly his
friends took note of his presence and pulled apart.
Willow staggered to her feet, hands buried in Buffy's
hair as the Slayer cried happy tears into the wiccan's
soggy jean leg. Xander smiled grimly and raised his
hand. "I have dibs on telling Dead Boy."

=====
Get an eyeful inside Gabby's BGSB!
http://members.xoom.com/badbard/

FanFiction Addiction? Satisfy your cravings
http://members.xoom.com/badbard/fanfiction.html

Join my update list. Mail bgsb-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx