From: badbard <tiger_by_night@xxxxxxxxx>
To: buffyloveswillow@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [buffyloveswillow] FF Eat & Sleep (dream theme)
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 00:58:56 -0800 (PST)

Eat and Sleep
by badbard
(tiger_by_night@xxxxxxxxx)

WARNING/DISCLAIMER:- This is my contribution to the
buffyloveswillow's dream theme of the week.

Buffy, Willow, Xander, Cordy etc belong to Joss
Whedon, Mutant Enemy Inc and Warner Bros and I'm not
making money. I'm making entertainment! *G*

Two grrls are clearly in love and I don't know about
you, but that sure makes me want to keep reading.

The setting takes place in Sunnydale High's cafeteria,
sometime during the school year when Cordy & Xander
made a very cute couple and Angel and Oz were Buff &
Will's resident boyfriends. Er...except that Angel's
currently residing in hell. Y'know what they say
about long distance relationships...

One last tidbit - think about my title after you've
actually read the story and hopefully you'll get a
little thrill...er...chill. If you're...*VEG*...into
that kinda thing.

***

"It was a nightmare!" revealed Buffy to her avid
audience, namely the Slayerettes who were eating at
their customary lunch table. "My overbite was so bad
that the other vampires had taken to calling me
'Rabi'." She shuddered.

"'Rabi'?" wondered Xander, trying to cop a feel of
Cordy and getting his hand firmly sat on. He grinned
lustily.

"Short for Rabbit," explained Buffy with another
shudder. "And my hair! It was the sucky sequel to
'Gone With the Wind'. Talk about lifeless. To cap it
off, the hair salon closed before sunset!" She lifted
her hands in evident disgust.

"I feel for you," said Xander with as much sincerity
as he could muster, all the while groping and gazing
into Cordy's beautiful brown eyes.

"Xander Harris, you are one sick puppy!" she yelled,
hitting him with her handbag. "You have no fashion
sense, do that a little to the left, you're totally
uncool, ah a little more, that's it, and Buffy's ex
has a better tan than you. Which is saying alot."

"Hey!" griped the Slayer. "Have a little respect for
the undead." Willow touched Buffy's knee under the
table.

"Buffy," she asked tentatively, "you almost sound like
you liked it."

"I did like that," agreed Buffy, looking at where
Willow's hand rested. The Wiccan blushed and decided
she had misunderstood. She also decided to move her
hand a little higher. It was completely innocent of
course. She was just getting Buffy's attention.

"I mean, you sound like you liked dreaming you were a
vampire. Apart from the bad hair and big teeth
and..."

"...the skin condition I couldn't buy enough clearasil
for if I had Cordy's entire fortune," cut in the
Slayer.

"But other than that..." prompted Willow.

"Well the blood tasted good," admitted Buffy to every
Slayerette's immediate horror. "Sort of thick and
spicy. Like tomato sauce but with less tomato and
more raw meat." Willow took her hand back.

"Eugh," spat Cordelia. "Gross much? God, Buffy,
remind me not to neck with Xander in front of you. I
wouldn't want to make you sicker than you already
are." Xander stopped groping.

"Cordy? That didn't come out with us in a favourable
light." Cordy was too busy glaring at Buffy to pay
attention.

"Listen, freak, I think you have a serious iron
deficiency. Or your rabid boytoy from hell is rubbing
off on you." Willow pushed her chair back with a
grimace.

"Imagery," she muttered to nobody in particular. "Bad
pictures. Bad bad pictures. And oh! Bad thoughts
too."

"It was more than the salty tingle on my tongue,"
reminisced Buffy, caught up in her dream world. "It
was like I was the god of the vampires. Here I am,
the Slayer, and I used to go around stakin' hearts for
a living. They know I can put the pointy on them
before they can pretend to take a breath and add to
that my suped up strength and infravision..."

"Plus you get to live forever," added Xander, not so
helpfully in the others opinon.

"Exactly!" grinned Buffy, showing all her teeth.
"Like, literally. No Slayer's gonna stick the stake
in me 'cause I know all the tricks of the trade."

"Buffy," asked Willow, feeling something cold gripping
at her insides, "Buffy, why are you talking in the
present tense?" Cordy's eyes narrowed and she studied
the Slayer suspiciously.

"Gee, Willow, she doesn't look that tense to me.
Crazy, sure, but tense? I'd have to go with
power-hungry." Xander gave a nervous giggle.

"Or just plain hungry!"

Buffy's grin seemed to get toothier. "Oh, you guys,"
she said. "What would I do without you? I'd hate to
have to find out. I want us to be together, forever."

"That makes one of us, you crazy freak," muttered
Cordelia.

"B...Buffy," whispered Willow. "Is there something
you want to tell us...about the dream?" The Slayer
shrugged and shifted back towards her friend so that
their legs were touching under the table.

"I can't wait to go back to sleep?"

Willow's hand shook as she reached into the front
pocket of her overalls. Buffy simply smiled at her.

"Did I tell you what else was so cool about being one
of the well-fed undead?"

"You got to hang out more with your kind of
ex-people?" guessed Cordelia. "Your kind of freaky
crowd?"

"Oh Cordy," sighed Buffy, twirling her fingers slowly
through her golden hair. "You're so cold and
heartless. You're more than half way changed."

"Changed?" asked the tall brunette, staring down at
her skimpy outfit. "Why, what's wrong with my
original Zealimiinbartatsoperati?"

"Nothing," giggled Buffy, still twirling away, "but
where's the rest of it?" Xander fought to control his
smirk as his anxious eyes met Willow's across the
table. The hacker's hand closed over the grainy wood
of her emergency cross. "What was so cool," continued
Buffy, "was that I was so much more than a regular
creature of the night. My Slayerness had all these
handy side effects. For instance, no smoking involved
where sunlight brightened my day." She basked in a
ray streaming through the lunchroom window. "Brings
out my healthy complexion."

Willow lifted the cross from her pocket. Her hands
were shaking so badly that she dropped it twice.
Buffy turned the toothy smile on her best friend.
"Got a splinter yet?" Willow's hand dropped to her
side as though burned. "Let me help ya out," invited
the Slayer, casually slipping her hand into the pocket
over the Wiccan's chest. Willow's breath grew ragged.

"Eugh," sniped Cordy, turning to Xander. "That is
sooo gay. They are so gay." She turned back to oggle
and a slight smile curved over her perfect lips. "I
suppose I can totally understand it though, what with
them having beasts for boyfriends."

"As in actual beasts," agreed Xander, beginning to fan
himself.

"Yeah, after dating a werewolf, I can really see how
Willow would go in for a little less hair," mused
Cordy, licking her lips. "At leasts Buffy shaves that
thing."

"What thing?" wondered Xander, beginning to pant.

"That thing!" insisted Cordy. "Y'know that thing!
You must know what I'm talking about. Haven't you
ever noticed that thing of hers? You can't tell me
nobody else has noticed that thing!"

"That thing on her face?" remembered Xander from a
previous conversation involving plastic surgery.

"That thing too," decided Cordy, wrinkling her nose.

Buffy ignored the banter. All her formidable
attention was focused on the heaving rise and fall of
Willow's delectable chest. Slowly her hand slid down
over denim, searching, searching...Willow closed her
eyes.

"Oooh, what's this?" said the Slayer far too brightly,
finally withdrawing the wooden cross and holding it
high for all to see. "A Jewish icon? Something you
picked up in the playground?" A muscle twitched in
her jaw menacingly. "A test? Guess I failed. You'll
have to come over tonight, Will, so we can..."
darkening eyes slid over Willow's shivering
form..."study."

"Is that like, your idea of a come on?" asked Cordy
disdainfully. Buffy arched an innocent brow.

"What? I'll bring her flowers I snatch off somebody's
grave."

"Oh this is so not good," moaned Xander, eyes flicking
restlessly towards the nearest exit. "Somebody pinch
me or better still, somebody stake her!" Buffy
pointed at herself with a throaty chuckle.

"Me? Somebody stake me? Who? Are you gonna do the
honours, 'Nightwing'? Is Miss Self-Obsessive here
gonna break a nail?" Xander pinched at his pant-leg
with fingers that were fast going numb.

"This is a nightmare," he mumbled. "I gotta wake up.
I gotta wake up."

"What's your dementia?" snapped Cordy, glancing from
him to Buffy in obvious irritation. "Who's this Miss
Selobsessy? Some new student teacher?"

"Willow," singsonged Buffy, reaching for her friend's
icy hand. "Willow, I want you to be my first."

"Is that what Dead Boy said to get you into his
coffin?" Xander wanted to know. He glared across the
table at the Slayer, courage sparking within him as he
took note of the mindless dread in Willow's wide green
eyes.

Cordy sniggered than shut up suddenly when Buffy
rounded on them, fury etched sharply into every
feature.

"I can't believe this! I thought my friends would be
happy for me."

"Happy for you?" choked out Willow.

"Yes!" cried Buffy. "Don't you see? I'm saved! My
nightmare is finally over! I'm not gonna die before I
can skull down a keg at my 21st birthday party."

"What 21st birthday?" muttered Xander.

"Did somebody say party?" asked Cordelia. Buffy's
face began turning red.

"Shut up. Just shut up! I'm not gonna be just
another crappy footnote in the Watcher's Manual. I'm
free! It's a dream come true!"

Xander joined Willow in gaping at their frenzied best
friend. Cordy got her compact out of her bag and
started doing her eyeliner over.

"Will," said Buffy softly, hunkering back down beside
her best of friends. "I want to share it all with
you. I want both my dreams to come true."

"Oh Buffy," rejoined the Wiccan, finally daring to
gather the Slayer into her shaking arms. To stroke
Buffy's silky hair while she stared miserably over
Buffy's back. "Buffy I want that too.
But...B...Buffy?"

"Yes," whispered the Slayer hoarsely, letting herself
be held. "Yes, Willow, tell me everything. Tell me
you love me. Tell me you'll come with me."

"Oh Buffy," sighed the Wiccan, green gaze fixed
resolutely on Cordy's eyeliner pencil. Slowly she
tugged it up with her power, out of Cordy's fingers
and into the air where it hovered over Buffy's back.
Over Buffy's heart. "Buffy I want nothing more than
to be with you. But Buffy? I know you. I know you
wouldn't want it to be...this way." She slammed the
pencil home.

Buffy hugged Willow tightly, feeling hot fear as holy
flames coursed through the insides of her corpse.
"Come with me?" she pleaded, exploding into ashes.

Xander sat stock still as Buffy dust rained down,
telling himself it was just a dream. A horrible
nightmare sent by the very hellmouth. It had to be.

Cordy scowled at Willow with righteous indignation.
"Hey! That was my favourite eyeliner! While we're at
it, could you be any more moronic, staking Buffy in
front of the entire school in the cafeteria? The
cafeteria for godsakes! People are trying to eat!"
Then her mouth sagged open as she realised what she'd
just said...

"I love you Buffy," whispered Willow, bringing her
lips lightly to the dust cupped carefully in her
palms. "There, I've told you. I wished so many times
that I could. Don't worry, Buffy. Everything's gonna
be alright. I WILL come with you. We'll be
together." Somehow, she staggered to her feet and
stumbled her way to the exit, leaving her old life
behind in favour of the next one.

THE END

Footnote: I wouldn't be lying if I said I really,
really enjoyed writing this story. ;) Although it is
a little closer to out and out horror than I ever want
the show to come.

=====
Get an eyeful inside Gabby's BGSB!
http://members.xoom.com/badbard/

FanFiction Addiction? Satisfy your cravings
http://members.xoom.com/badbard/fanfiction.html

Join my update list. Mail bgsb-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx