From: jbstories _ <jbstories@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <buffyloveswillow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 1999 4:58 PM
Subject: [buffyloveswillow] Theme fic:"A Little Birdie..",End

From: "jbstories _" <jbstories@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"A Little Birdie Told Me So"
--------------------------------

Disclaimer: All the characters, Buffy, Willow, Giles, Xander, etc. belong
Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy Inc., and Warner Bros. I'm just borrowing
their
brilliant creations. I intend no copyright infringement from my use of
their
characters, and will receive no monetary or any other compensation for
their use, in any form, of the story that succeeds.

Part Five
-------------

"Where is everybody?" Anya asked finally emerging from the back room.

"Buffy's out walking Spike, and Xander and Giles went to the butchers
shop,"
Willow responded looking up from her book. Giles always had the best
spell
books just lying around his house.

"Oh," Anya said taking a seat on the couch. "Are you doing anything fun?"

"Well, I was looking through Volume III of the Dreger's almanac, and I
found
this super cool incantation for." Willow started to say but Anya
interrupted her.

"Please, stop," Anya said holding up her hand. "I'm already regretting my
inquiry immensely."

"Boy, you must be a joy to be around in the morning," Willow said as Anya
yawned.

"Mornings tend to lose their thrill after 2000 years or so," Anya
responded.
"Let's see how you're doing after your first millennia," she continued.

They sat in silence for a while after that, but Willow found it impossible
to concentrate on the text with Anya sitting behind her doing nothing.

"You know," Willow said standing up and moving over to the couch. "It
occurs to me that we've never really had the opportunity to just sit down
and talk."

"Are we going to bond now?" Anya asked looking over at her.

"We're going try," Willow said building up her resolve. "We are certainly
going to try."

"I don't see why I have to be here," Spike grumbled kicking a pebble along
the ground.

"You said you wanted some fresh air, so I'm giving you some fresh air,"
Buffy responded. "Now be good or I'll put on your leash."

"I don't bloody believe this!" Spike exclaimed kicking a wall. "Oh! God!
Bloody hell that hurts!" he said now bouncing on his good foot holding the
one he'd hurt. "I'm William the Bloody, the scourge of Europe.and some of
Asia. Whole country sides bowed down to my will."

"One more word out of you Mister and I swear." Buffy said holding up the
leash and clicking the clasp.

"Why don't you just stake me?" Spike muttered under his breath.

"Don't temp me," Buffy retorted. "I'm disliking you more than usual right
now.which is saying a lot."

"Oh, this is about Birch again isn't it?" he asked limping slightly.

"That's it," Buffy said reaching out for him. "An important part of
functioning in society is learning to respect authority. Without that
fundamental respect, chaos ensues.as you well know. You, Spike, have
spent
too much time on the outskirts of society and it is my duty not only as
the
Slayer, but as a human being, to re-integrate you," Buffy continued
attaching the leach to his collar.

"Were you this mean when you WERE getting some?" Spike asked. Buffy
simply
yanked in response. "I'll take that as a yes," Spike muttered under his
breath.

"So," Willow started. "How are things going with you and Xander?" She
could only hope that her inquiry wouldn't be met with graph descriptions
of
the sex they were having.

"He's distracted," Anya responded. "I had to make my own orgasm," she
added
sourly.

Willow visibly paled.

"TMI," Willow said clasping her hands over her ears. "T-M-I," she said
again pronouncing each letter distinctly.

"I'm not familiar with that acronym," Anya said completely unfazed.
"Explain."

"Too Much Information," Willow responded finally unclasping her hands from
the side of her head.

"You shouldn't have asked then," Anya responded. "I don't understand why
humans insist on making queries that they don't wish to know the answers
to.
It's highly illogical."

"Thank you for sharing that diatribe Mr. Spock," Willow responded. Her
face
was starting to regain colour.

"Mr. Spock? Is that some sort of pop-culture reference?" Anya asked.
"Because I don't do those."

"Okay," Willow said shifting her position. "This is not going at all
according to plan."

Anya just stared at her.

"Maybe we should just forget about this 'bonding' thing and go back to
sitting in silence," Willow suggested. She knew that silence was looking
really good to her at the moment.

"Wouldn't a change of topic be more appropriate?" Anya asked. She wasn't
really a fan of the silence. Besides she did have something in mind to
talk
about.

"Yeah," Willow responded eyeing her a bit. "Sure, change of topic, a
topic
different from the original.a whole new area of discussion, a completely
separate."

"I get it," Anya said interrupting. "It's new."

"Before I start I'd like to make it clear that I'm not at all interested
in
seeing you attain any sort of happiness," Spike said as Buffy dragged him
along.

"Ditto," she said simply.

"But."

"There's always a but," Buffy muttered.

"Why don't you just tell her how you feel and get it the hell over with so
that I can get some goddamn rest," he continued testily.

"There's nothing to tell," Buffy said yanking him a bit. For someone who
was technically dead he sure did talk a lot.

"Yeah, and I'm Martha Stewart," Spike responded.

"Well, that menorah you made for Willow really was very pretty," Buffy
said
smiling.

"I was bored and Giles had just gotten back from the pottery barn," Spike
said defensively.

"Keep telling yourself that," Buffy said turning down the road that would
bring them back to Giles'.

"Come on," Spike said. "Talking about it will make you feel better."

Buffy just looked back and glared at him.

"I won't tell anyone, I swear it," Spike continued when Buffy didn't
respond.

"Since you seem to be so smart why do you need me to tell you anything?"
Buffy asked. She wasn't even really upset at Spike, he was just
being.well
Spike. She was upset that she was seriously considering talking to him.
Besides Claire and her posse, Spike was the only person Buffy knew was hip
to her feelings about Willow, and she really needed to talk about it.

"I was just trying to be civil," Spike responded in a slightly wounded
tone.
"Since I can't kill you and all," he added under his breath.

"I can't tell her," Buffy mumbled.

"Why the hell not?" Spike asked. Humans were so annoying, that's why he
ate
so many of them.

"I don't want to ruin our friendship," Buffy answered. "Telling someone
that you're in love with them and want their body usually tends to have
SOME
sort of effect on a relationship."

"Yeah," Spike agreed. "You tell her and then you both have sex, and I
don't
have to watch you pining after her anymore. Everybody wins, but more
importantly I'M happy."

"If I tell her, there won't be any sex or anything else to be had since
she
doesn't feel the same way I do, "Buffy said scuffing her shoes along the
ground. "She's probably still not even over Oz."

"Who?" Spike asked staring at Buffy's neck.

She looked back at him.

"The werewolf," Buffy responded.

"Oh him," Spike responded. "She's not in love with him. I'm sure he was
very snuggly but they were just passing time."

"Excuse me?" Buffy asked stopping and trying around to face the vampire.

"I'm surrounded by stupidity, utter, ubiquitous stupidity," Spike said
exasperated flinging his hands into the air. "I try, and I try, but I'm a
demon not a bloody miracle worker."

"Are you finished wallowing in self pity?" Buffy asked. Spike nodded
sullenly. "Okay, then do you mind telling me what the hell you were
getting
at with that 'passing time' comment?"

"Willow's in love with you too!" Spike exclaimed. "Whenever you're in the
same room she's gives off as many pheromones as bloody dog in heat."

"You went to the 'Cordelia Chase School of Tact', didn't you?" Buffy asked
looking him.

"Honesty's the best policy," Spike respond shrugging.

Willow somehow got the impression that her conversation with Anya was
going
to be a trying event, so before they started in with the new conversation
she went into the kitchen to get some refreshments.

"So," Anya said once Willow re-joined her in the room. "When are you and
Buffy going to become orgasm friends?"

Willow sat in a stunned silence and started at her. The hacker thought
that
she was alive, she could still see and think, but she felt oddly detached
from her body, like she wasn't really in it, let alone in the room.

"Oh god, I think I killed her," Anya said when Willow didn't respond. The
ex-vengeance demon moved over and the couch and started poking her. "Are
you dead?" she asked. "Because I don't think that the others are going to
like that."

"You.I .you.said.orgasm," was all Willow managed to get out before her
oral
skills once again deserted her.

"Well?" Anya asked.

"I.me.Buffy.me.and Buffy.not.one with.orgasm," Willow said. She couldn't
seem to get past that word.

"I'm beginning to think that the silence probably would have been the
better
of the two ideas," Anya commented.

"Buffy.Buffy doesn't feel the same way I do," Willow said a few moments
later in a soft voice.

"Really?" Anya asked. "What Buffy are you talking about, because the
Buffy
I know can barely keep her eyes, and hands off of you," she continued.

"No," Willow said. She was sure that there was more to that sentence but
"no" was all that came out.

"Ah, yeah," Anya responded.

"No," Willow said again. Her brain refused to engage.

"Yeah," Anya retorted.

"No."

"Yeah."

Part Five
-------------

Buffy and Spike arrived back at Giles' house shortly before Xander and
Giles
got back, and on the tail end of Anya and Willow's conversation which they
were assured was "nothing". By the time they had all gathered in the
house
again it was getting late and Buffy and Willow decided that it would
probably be best to head on back home. Xander and Anya also had to catch
up
on the some quality time before Giles brought Spike over to Xander's, so
they left at the same time as the Slayer and hacker.

Buffy and Willow were now back in their dorm rooms lying on their
respective
beds staring up at the ceiling thinking about the completely bizarre
conversations they had had with their respective partners.

"Will?" Buffy asked finally.

"Yeah," Willow answered.

"I don't think that I'm going to take Spike for anymore walks," Buffy said
decisively.

"I don't want to bond with Anya," Willow said in response.

"It's been a peculiar couple of days," Buffy continued still staring at
the
ceiling.

"Very peculiar," Willow repeated.

"Yep," Buffy said.

"What were you and Anya talking about anyway?" Buffy asked tilting her
head
to the side.

"The Book of Levitain, I thought that it was a well-written worthwhile
piece
of literature, and Anya thought that it was unadulterated crap," Willow
responded thinking quickly.

"Don't you hate it when that happens?" Buffy asked.

"What about you and Spike?" Willow asked. "You two seem to be at each
others throats even more than usual."

"He's just really, really, irritating," Buffy responded. "Really."

"Really?" Willow asked turning her head so that she was looking at Buffy.

"Cute," Buffy responded in a dry tone even though she was smiling.

'As always," Willow responded grinning before returning her gaze to the
ceiling.

"You know coming from anyone else that would have sounded impudent," Buffy
said still watching Willow. "But coming from you.it's a statement of
absolute truth," she continued in a soft almost reverent tone.

When Buffy had finished speaking Willow turned her head back around so
that
she was looking directly into Buffy's eyes. They held each others gaze
for
what felt like an eternity, drowning in the depths of each others eyes,
longing to be closer. They continued this until Buffy finally broke the
contact by returning her gaze to the ceiling with a soft, inaudible sigh.
She couldn't trust herself to continue looking at Willow, and remain only
looking. She wasn't stoic, but she wasn't exactly an open book either.
Yet, despite her median disposition Willow had always been able to tell
how
she was feeling, just from looking at her. Even when Buffy was beyond
confident that her face showed no emotion at all, somehow Willow still
knew.
That's why she had to look away, because Willow couldn't know this, not
yet, maybe even not ever.

"Did you notice something going on with Xander today?" Willow asked a few
moments after Buffy had looked away from her. As she asked she shifting
her
position a little trying to get comfortable. The look that they had
shared,
it had touched her in some deep place and she was feeling nervous. It had
left her with this craving to hear Buffy's voice, to be close to her.

"He seemed kind of agitated.but he's always like that so." Buffy just left
the sentence hanging. She had really said all that she planned on saying
so
there was no reason to continue. "Why?" she asked as an afterthought.

"Anya said that he was distracted about something," Willow responded.

"That what you two were talking about? Xander?" Buffy asked. She knew
that
Willow was lying when she had answered earlier. The book of Levitain had
been burned down along with the school in June.

"At first," Willow said. "But then."

"Then what?" Buffy asked encouragingly.

"She.you really don't need to hear this," Willow said. "I didn't need to
hear this. If there was a way that I could possibly undo hearing it, I
would do it, but I can't so I suffer."

"Come on, tell me," Buffy said. "It'll make you feel better."

"She.well she.she started talking about how she had to make her own
orgasm's," Willow said in a rush.

"Oh," was all Buffy said in response. She wasn't expecting that, she
thought that it was going to be some demon thing, a curse or something
like
that.

"Yeah," Willow said nodding knowingly. This kind of thing had a way of
leaving one speechless.

"On that note." Buffy started to say slowly.

"We should probably just go to sleep," Willow finished for her.

"Yeah," Buffy responded nodding even though she wasn't really very tired.

"Okay then," Willow said. She sounded like she was trying to talk herself
into it.

"Sleep it is," Buffy said in response.

"Goodnight Buff," Willow said turning out her light.

"Night Red," Buffy said turning out hers.

As they lay there in a comfortable silence, both pretending to be asleep,
their thoughts ran along identical paths. It had all started with a
rumor,
but it had evolved far beyond that in the few days since it all started.
The issue had changed from who was speculating what, to the very real
emotions that had been growing inside of them both for a very long time.
rumor had changed it all. The creature that-until those fateful days-had
been content to stay on the fringes of their consciousness, had now
stirred
and crept forth into their conscious minds, settling, and allowing them no
rest. It all started with a rumor, but it had been far eclipsed by
itself.
It was ironic although they didn't know it at the time. Two girl, two
friends, two souls both with the same secret, same fears, and same love.
Both oblivious to the fact that the plight of the other was the same as
their own. As they drifted off to sleep they were both aware that
something
needed to be done, but the question that nagged at them, consumed them,
was
what? What could be done? What should be done? And of all of the
actions
or inaction's they could choose, which ones, which one, could they live
with? In the end, it all came down to one thing. Love. And the real
question that they were asking themselves was, was love worth it? Was it
worth it worth risking the single most important thing in their
lives-their
friendship-for?

The answer.well, the answer whatever it be, would change their lives
forever.

The End
(of "A Little Birdie Told Me So" anyway :-)
To Be Continued in a sequel "More Than Words" (were the good
stuff--smoochies--gets going on)

Later,
Janine

Post message: buffyloveswillow@xxxxxxxxxxx