FIC: Enough of Me (2/?)

Title: Enough of Me (2/?)
Author: Kimber (kacoe@xxxxxxx)
Disclaimer: I am a gnat in the world that is the Joss (watch out for
the fly swatter). All characters belong to him and Mutant Enemy. I'm
only borrowing them. I promise to put them back when I'm done, maybe
with a little more angst. This is non-profit.
Author's Notes: Feedback = Food. Story probably still has to be
beta'd, any volunteers would be appreciated. PG-13. I'm not sure yet.
It's probably for most audiences.
Thoughts are enclosed in < > and flashbacks are enclosed in <<< >>>
------------

"Hello? Um, yes. Oh, yes…how are you dear. I've heard so much about
you. No, I'm sorry, she's had a long trip and is resting now. I'll let
her know you called though. Have a nice holiday. Bye."

Willow was sitting on the couch drinking tea when her Grandmother came
in from the kitchen. She stood in the doorway and glanced at her
granddaughter.

"I know Nana. I'll call her soon." Willow replied to the gaze.

"But I don't understand it dear. You've written me so many letters and
we've had so many phone calls. You've told me all about Buffy, and it
seems to me that she's your best friend. Why on earth would you not
want to talk to her?"

"It's complicated, Nana."

"Seems that nothing should be that complicated, dear. If two people
care for and love each other then that's the most uncomplicated thing we
can wish for." She smiled down at her granddaughter. "Let me know if
you need anything. I'll be in the sewing room."

"Thanks Nana."

Willow sat there for a while, taking in the scent of the familiar. She
spent many holidays and vacations here. The house brought back
comforting memories, the smell of baked cookies and vanilla and
flowers. That's what her grandmother always smelled like. It was
comfort she sought when she got on the plane, comfort in the familiar,
the unchanged. Willow's thoughts were broken by the sound of the phone
again. Knowing Nana wouldn't hear it in the sewing room, she went to
pick it up.

"Hello? Mom! Hi. Yes, I'm fine. I just wanted to be with Nana for
winter break. Yes, I know. I'm sorry you can't be here too. No, we'll
be fine. Nana always takes good care of me. You too, I'll see you at
home after New Year's. Love you too, bye."

Willow was relieved that it was her mother on the other end of the
line. Sheila and Ira Rosenberg were spending time with Ira's parents in
between conferences. They'd go to the temple there, in Chicago, to
worship. Anticipating the separation, Willow's mother sent her Hanukkah
gifts to her with strict instructions to not open them until the right
time, and they were even numbered.

Willow wandered into her bedroom, deciding that the plane trip had
indeed wiped her out, and decided to take a nap. Curling up on her
childhood bed, she soon found out that her mind was working overtime.
Buffy. She'd been the reason Willow left. Right? Now she wasn't so
sure. Oz? Giles? Xander? They could all be construed as contributing
factors to her turning tail, but she knew that in the end, her own
insecurities won out and forced her two states away from the people she
loved.

Buffy didn't want her. Not really. It was a fluke. She was still
missing Angel and Willow had to admit that she still loved Oz. That's
why she did the spell. She did a love spell the night she ran from
Buffy after their awkward meeting in the Psych building. After weaving
her way through the throng of students she made her way home and went to
the basement where the bulk of her supplies were stored. It was meant
to be a harmless spell, designed to have true love reveal itself to her
and Buffy. It was supposed to help them both get back together with the
ones they loved. But she did it wrong, she must have. Right before the
spell was to be completed, she heard footsteps on the porch outside the
basement window. Her mind immediately shot to Buffy and she became
distracted with the days events. Instead of thinking of Oz, she thought
of Buffy. In hindsight of everything that happened, she could see why
she got caught in the spell too. With those thoughts, Willow finally
began to drift off to sleep.

-----------

<<<"Can't stop……..duty……..chosen……understand……"

Willow strained to hear the conversation behind her door. She knew it
was wrong but still, she couldn't help herself.

"I have…..duty too……choice……care about you…….get hurt……"

She could tell that it was Buffy and Riley. All she knew was that he
helped Buffy defeat the Gentlemen and that he had a secret of his own.

"Want to try…….relationship……take it slow……..kiss you again……..please"

"Can't……..kiss was good……too fast……need time……sacred duty."

From the pieces of conversation she heard, Willow surmised that Buffy
and Riley kissed, Riley wanted a relationship with her and Buffy wanted
to but wanted to take it slow. Every word was like someone punching her
in the gut. She couldn't take it anymore. Making sure she made plenty
of noise with her keys, Willow walked into the room and over to her bed.

"Hi guys, how's it going?"

"Will, your back from your 3 o'clock class." Buffy gave her a look of
relief.

"Willow, hi." Riley grinned at her. "Well, I guess I should be going.
Buffy, we'll talk again soon?" He gave her a hopeful look.

"Sure. Take care Riley.">>>

Willow woke up snuggled under the covers. She guessed her grandmother
came in and pulled them over her at some point in her slumber. Restless
and no longer tired, she got up, went to the bathroom and decided to
call Giles. If Buffy was there then so be it.

"Giles, hi….I'm with my grandmother in Wyoming….yeah….I just wanted to
wish you a happy holiday….hmm…yeah, I'm OK. Just woke up from a
nap….really?…..I guess you'll have your hands full with those two. You
take care too…I'll see you after break…Yes, I'll be back a week before
classes start. Bye."

That was interesting. Buffy was staying with Giles for Christmas. It
was pretty ironic actually. A happy little family unit flashed in
Willow's mind. Xander digging in the cabinets for something to eat,
Anya pouting at the lack of attention, Giles rubbing the bridge of his
nose because Buffy and Spike were trading insults back and forth in
front of the fireplace. Yes, one little demented, dysfunctional family
complete with a slayer, an ex-watcher, a demon, a 200 plus year old
vampire, a 1120 year old ex-demon turned teenager and Xander.

She found her by the window. Looking out on the snow, there was an
expression of sadness on her face that made her look much older than her
18 years. She'd never be able to figure her granddaughter out. They
say the eyes are the window to the soul. Willows eyes were empty from
the moment she'd walked through the door. Something had happened to her
granddaughter, something that took the fire out of her eyes, and Nana
was determined to find out what it was.

"Why don't you come talk to me dear. The snow will still be there when
we're done."

The older woman's voice shook Willow out of her trance. How long had
she been standing there?

"Sure Nana. What's on your mind." Willow walked over to the fireplace
and put another log on the fire.

"That's exactly what I was thinking. What's on your mind? Something's
happened to my granddaughter and I want to know what it is. Where has
my Willow gone?"

Willow gave her a halfhearted smile. This was going to be a long
night……..

"….so then I went back to his room, and all of his stuff was gone. He
left me Nana. How could he do that? Devon said he sent for the rest of
his stuff. He's settled down somewhere….else….that's not with me."
She was crying again. The tears turned on and off in the past fours
hours, now they were making an appearance once again. She had told her
grandmother everything. EVERYTHING. Graduation, Veruca, werewolf
boyfriend and slayer best friend. She'd began to confide in her when
she was in high school, when the fluke happened with Xander. Now
everything came spilling out, and she held nothing back.

She looked at her, sobbing in the firelight. Such things to go through
for someone so young. So much weight on her shoulders, weight she
shouldn't have to bear alone. But she didn't did she? Buffy was always
there by her side. But now she wasn't. Her granddaughter ran from the
comfort of her friends back home and she still didn't understand why.

"Oh, my beautiful Willow. Such pain and heartache. I wish I could make
it all go away. But I can't. You have to allow yourself to grieve.
Grieve for your lost love, your lost innocence. Only then will you be
able to pick your self off the ground and stand tall. There's no way
around it. But, there is a way for it to be easier…."

Willow looked up from her hands. "What Nana? Anything…I-I'd do
anything to feel better….anything."

"You have friends that love you. Why did you come here when you have so
many people to fall back on at home?" Willow began to shake her head,
but Nana continued . . ."You've confided in me, and to be a part of your
life, to willingly make me a part of your life….I couldn't have
received a better gift than that. But there are people more suited for
the kind of comfort you're looking for. People like Mr. Giles, and
Xander and Buffy. Why not sleep on it love, perhaps you'll see that the
things you've run from are the things you need most." She got up and
gave her granddaughter a hug and a kiss goodnight and left her to her
thoughts. Willow followed soon after, crawled into bed and into sleep.

---------

"Yes….Mr. Giles please……Mr. Giles? Yes, it's Margaret….Hmm, yes, it has
been a long time…fine, fine…enjoying my retirement….Yes, I was sorry to
hear that, we both know what they're missing…….Rupert, I need to ask a
favor….It seems to me that we have something in common…or should I say
someone…..Yes, it's very important, I wouldn't ask if it wasn't…..of
course….I probably should have come to you sooner, I'm afraid it may
have gotten out of hand…..Would you mind a little trip?…..I won't keep
you long….no, only two days or so……really? Wonderful…I'll make the
arrangements….no, no, don't be silly….the council can foot the bill for
this one….I think they owe us both as much, don't you? Splendid….yes,
one more thing….why don't you bring your slayer….yes…I realize she's not
taking council orders…..it's important Rupert, I wouldn't ask if it
wasn't….wonderful! Tomorrow then? OK, I'll make the arrangements and
have the travel agent call you with the airline and times. Thank you
Rupert, I owe you one."

She realized that she may be overstepping her bounds. But this was her
granddaughter's happiness at stake! In all her years as a watcher, all
the prophesies all the doom that was predicted, she was well prepared.
The fate of the world rested on the slayer's shoulders, and when she
steered her daughter and son-in-law towards Sunnydale to begin their
life together, it wasn't by chance, it was by choice. She only prayed
that her granddaughter would be able to hone and perfect the powers she
had within her. The choice had been the right one, and her Willow and
the slayer worked together. It couldn't have been any better had she
written the prophesy herself. Now other forces threatened to take over,
forces that were unpredicted or over-looked. Well, there would be none
of that. Not while she was around.

------------

"We'll only be gone for a few days, Buffy. Xander has already agreed to
watch Spike, I'm sure that he's more than capable…."

"And who is this woman again? A retired watcher or something? Why does
she want me to go? Reliving old prophesies is so not what I had in mind
for winter break, Giles" Buffy rolled her eyes, but the look she got
from Giles told her that there was no way to get out of it.

"Buffy, Margaret is a very respected member of the council. Yes she is
retired, but she still holds their favor, and mine. She's done so many
things for me in the past I cannot even begin to repay her. If she's
summoned both of us, there is a good reason, I assure you."

"I know Giles….When do we leave?"

"Tomorrow. Margaret has arranged for us to take a direct flight into
Cheyenne and then a private plane…"

"Cheyenne? Wyoming? That's….that's where Willow is!"

"Yes, I know, but this is business and I don't think we'll have time to
search the entire state of Wyoming for Willow…" Giles saw the look on
Buffy's face, like someone had punched her in the face and she stood
there and took it. "If we have time, we'll look her up."

With that, the slayer and the watcher prepared for the trip ahead of
them.

----------

"Willow, you've been in this house for two days…...Why don't you go out
and get some fresh air? Here, I'll give you some money and you can take
a cab into town and go shopping, buy some gifts for your friends back
home."

"I'd much rather stay here. I'm in the middle of something on my
computer and I don't want to leave it…"

"You've been in the middle of your computer for two days, Willow, I'm
sure what ever it is, it will keep. Come on now, get your jacket….or do
I have to dress you myself?"

Willow knew she'd lost. She saved her document and put her computer on
the bed. Grabbing her jacket and the envelope her grandmother gave her,
she called for a cab and waited by the door.

"It'll be good for you to get out, dear. Look, the cab is here. I'll
have dinner ready for you when you come back….now go…shoo!" With a kiss
on her cheek, Willow was off to town.

--------

An hour later, a black car pulled up the driveway. Giles and Buffy
stepped out and the driver carried their bags to the door, where a woman
stood to greet them.

"Rupert! Oh, it's so wonderful to see you again. You're still as
handsome as ever. And this must be Buffy, I've heard so much about you
dear….well, what are you waiting for, come in, come in."

"Nice to meet you…..Mrs.?"

"Oh, please….call me Nana…everyone does. Now come on…I have tea on and
I hear the water boiling."

After they settled in, the three of them sat down in the living room.

"You're probably wondering why I've asked you to come Rupert."

"Yes, the thought had crossed my mind. You said we had something in
common, someone…."

"Yes, well, I'll get to that. I've been retired for almost six years
now. Retirement is such a bore you know." Giles nodded his head in
agreement. She then turned her gaze to Buffy. "I was never an active
watcher in the sense that Rupert was. I never had my own slayer. The
council decided that I was better suited for books, prophesies and that
sort of thing. It was quite mundane really. I was banished to the
demon section of the card catalog more times than I can recall….."

"Hmm, prophesies…..we just love prophesies, don't we Giles?" Buffy gave
him a look and they both smiled.

"There was one prophesy in particular that I researched, and the council
saw it fit not to, shall we say, advertise the information."

"Oh, dear." Giles gave Buffy a look of 'here we go again'.

"Yes well….I believe the year was 1979…" She got up and went to her
bookcase. After some searching, she found what she'd been looking for.
"I was researching hellmouths. Several of them had cropped up at once
and the slayer at the time had quite an ordeal going from town to town
trying to close them all…or at least inactivate them…"

"I seem to recall that they formed some path….." Giles offered.

"Quite right Rupert. You remember, very good. The path led straight to
Los Angeles. That is where the last hellmouth opened and,
unfortunately, the slayer met her demise."

They all took a moment, lost in their own separate thoughts. Giles and
Buffy remembering the time Buffy had literally died trying to close the
hellmouth.

"It's not a secret that most of the prophesies you and other watchers
have dealt with have been predicted and researched by myself, along with
a few others. I was given this duty because I am not only a watcher, I
am a seer." Both sets of eyes were on her now.

"A seer? Well, yes…I suppose that would make the most sense, now
wouldn't it? I always thought as much…." Giles trailed off.

"Oh, but that's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg Rupert."

"Figures as much." Buffy offered.

"Yes, well, I came to find out that there was to be a slayer born. A
slayer like no other we've ever seen. Her powers, combined with her
intelligence and wit, would be like nothing we've ever seen before, or
will see again. She would be THE Chosen One….the one to bring balance
to the forces of good and evil. She is…"

"Buffy?" A little voice squeaked out from under an armful of packages.
"Giles? What are you……Nana?…..Oh, man…." And with that, the petite
redhead dropped her packages and fainted straight away.

//That's it for now...I'm workin on it guys. Hooked yet? I know it
started out kinda slow..but *eg*//
~~Kimber

-------
Willow: It's horrible! That's me as a vampire? I'm so evil and...
skanky. (aside to Buffy, worried) And I think I'm kinda gay.
Buffy: Willow, just remember, a vampire's personality has nothing to do
with the person it was.
Angel: Well, actually... (gets a look from Buffy) uh, That's a good
point.
-------
Visit me! http://go.to/KimsCorner