Becoming One (Part 8)

Enjoy. Buffy's coming back after this part. So...hope you like it.

RESTORATION - PT. 1

Three vampires at once, was a daunting task. Well, to Willow anyway. She had gotten stronger magick wise and more adept at slaying over the past two weeks. She wouldn't say that battling vampires was a walk in the park now, but it was definitely easier. Still, when they attacked in a pack, it got tricky.

She knew the Goddess was watching. The woman had tried to keep her distance, slowly trying to build up Willow's confidence in herself and to teach her self-reliance. And Willow was learning. Even how to pun too.

She looked at the three vampires around her. "Do I have to shoot a starter pistol or wave a checkered flag? Let's go!" That was one of her better ones.

They obliged her. Two ran around behind her, and one charged from the front.

'Concentrate.' She thought quietly.

She round-housed the one in front of her, while at the same time, moving a fallen branch off the ground. Waiting to see where he landed, she then thrust the branch into his chest. He turned to dust.

The two behind her each grabbed one of her arms and held her. This was the tricky part. As she was trying to figure out what to do, she felt a pain in her stomach.

The pains had been coming fairly regularly recently, and just when she thought she had gotten rid of them, they came back stronger. And so were the vampires grips.

Mentally telling her body to knock it off, she propelled herself, using all her strength, over and behind her two captors. When she finished the backflip, the vampires were stunned. Using that, she got Mr. Pointy from her jacket, and using the old fashioned method, staked one in the back. She grabbed the other by his shirt collar, and reached her arm around to his heart area, and finished the job.

Taking a breath, Willow started to walk. "They seem more focused lately. Wonder why."

"I'm not one to take all the credit," Angelus said walking towards her from the street, "but I have to be honest. It was me."

'Don't freak out, Willow.' "Doesn't look like you've done a very good job."

"Oh they're still idiots, but like you said, they're focused. But enough about me. You seem to have gotten a little more interesting since I've been gone. Now it's my turn to ask why."

"Steroids." Willow deadpanned through her fear.

"Where's Buffy, Willow? I've been watching you for awhile. Never any Buffy. In fact, I can't seem to find her at all."

"And it's gonna stay that way." She felt the pains begin again.

Time was running, and he didn't have time to beat around the bush.

"I still can't figure out how you didn't die." His face shifted, his yellow eyes locked on hers. "And right after I beat what I want out of that pretty, red head of yours, I'll correct my mistake."

***

Across the ocean, a secluded complex sat in the English countryside. Inside the series of connected buildings, everything seemed normal. People were going about their business. Potential watchers not assigned to Slayers trained, studied, and some just did paperwork.

But there was an underlying tension that enveloped everyone. Ever since the active slayer, Buffy Summers, had removed herself from the Council, they had been waiting for the inevitable dissolution of their institution. If they weren't connected to the Slayer, there was no need for them to exist.

There had been suicides. Demons they held captive for study purposes had picked up on the fact that things were falling apart, and had risked escape. People had died. Of course, nobody spoke of the occurrences. It wasn't good policy. The Council ran a tight ship. Or tried to.

They all knew that with Buffy's calling, things were going to change, they just hadn't anticipated how much. She had friends, a life, and a mother who knew about her destiny. Slayers weren't supposed to have those things.

They lost one of their most respected watchers. Rupert Giles had been very respected. But some, basing it on his rebellious past, had suspected that he would follow his darker tendencies, and turn against his employers. The loss was still great, however. And a shame.

In the extensive occult library on the grounds, one man was searching volumes furiously. A man who knew all about the 'Buffy situation', and had experienced it first-hand. Wesley Wyndam Pryce was one of the youngest watchers enlisted in the Council's ranks, very promising, and to some, the most impressionable.

He had left Sunnydale months before, his views, the rules he lived by, shaken. When he first met Buffy and her friends he couldn't figure out how a Slayer, a misguided ex-watcher, and a few civilians had managed to last three years. One would have expected them to last at the very least, three months. He soon found out why.

Emotional attachment, he had figured out, was the reason for their survival. And that was surprising, because that was one of the main things the Council frowned upon. But emotional attachment gave those people reasons to fight. To keep each other alive.

And they were efficient, and creative. He had tried to keep control, but at the time he hadn't realized that it was already under control. Just not the kind he was used to. Terrible things had happened to them, things that could have destroyed them, and not just physically. Yet they were still strong and together.

They were the balance between the Earth and its destruction, and he knew now, but the rest of the Council chose to ignore it, that the mixed group in Sunnydale was necessary and nobody could do any better. And now that the situation had taken a turn for the worse over there, he had to do something. Had to help.

In the library, he was sure the Council had the book that held the right spell, the right instructions, to restore Buffy's soul back to her. And the quicker he found it, the better. As necessary as Willow was to the cause, and important as she and Buffy were to each other, a Slayer's soul belonged in the body it was born to. No one else.

But if he was reading the spell correctly, he was only half-right.

"What are you researching?" A man walked up to the table Wesley was sitting at.

"Mr..Mr. Travers. Just for my personal knowledge. Can't be too informed."

"Quite." Quentin Travers looked down at the book, and began to read. "I hope you're not planning on sharing this with anyone."

'Stand up to him, Wesley.' "We have the information they need. Why not give it -"

"Because they chose to leave us. You know the policy."

"I hardly think the policy applies anymore. We're losing our status. Besides, and correct if I'm wrong, we were created to rid the world of evil creatures, and they've done that better than any single slayer in history. We cannot let them -"

"If she dies, we can summon the next slayer. Then we will regain control."

"You and I both know that something big is approaching," Wesley stood from his chair, and looked Quentin in the eyes, "and any slayer we activate will not be prepared for the battle."

"What did they do to you?"

"Nothing. Sir. I just went out in the world. You should try it sometime."

"I could have you fired, you know."

"I suppose you could."

Quentin picked up the book off the table, and placed it in Wesley's hands.

"But I won't."

"If you want to help, why -?"

"I have some power, some influence, but we all answer to someone. Now go. And good luck."

Wesley looked at him, and then they both turned and saw another man approaching. A man he recognized as a fellow watcher. When Wesley turned back, Quentin was gone.

***

Willow and Angelus approached each other cautiously, both assuming battle stance. She was scared out of her mind. Slayer abilities or no, this was Angelus. The man who had inflicted hours of torture on her while she was chained against a wall. But she couldn't let him see that, or he'd use it to his advantage.

He snarled, and threw a punch, which she avoided. She kneed him in the chest, and magickly threw him backward onto the ground.

"Hiding behind spells. I never pegged you as a cheater."

"Being moral is at the bottom of my list right now. And like you wouldn't cheat if you got the chance."

"You know me too well." He lunged at her, tackling her to the ground. She tried rolling, but it didn't work. His body weight kept her firmly beneath him, and her brought his arm down towards her head. "Tell me what I want to know, or I start crushing."

"You'll do it whether I tell you or not."

He brought his hand closer, and leaned down closer, and she was starting to find breathing difficult. Then he started to smoke, and recoiled, jumping off her. She flipped back up into a fighting stance, and showed him the cross around her neck.

"Bitch."

"Thanks." She grabbed her stomach. Why wouldn't the pain stop?

Angelus was enraged now. This was Willow. So what if she had some slaying ability, and a little magick? Still, there was something strong about her, and something making her weak at the same time. He couldn't figure it out.

He was about to use Willow's temporary pain, to kick her head in, when the Goddess appeared between them, facing Willow.

"Let's go, child."

"This isn't your business, witch." Angelus said to her.

She turned around. "I'm not stopping you." Not having learned his lesson from last time, he tried to attack her. Without lifting a finger, the Goddess' mere essence caused him pain. She turned back to Willow. "It's time to leave."

They walked away, and Angelus stared after them, and then disappeared into the shadows.

***

"That was close. Thanks." Willow said to the Goddess when they were far enough away.

"I will not always be there to help. Or be able to."

Willow nodded. "I.Buffy and I will get him."

"Keep that determination. You'll need it. It seems the pain is getting worse."

"I'm a little scared. What's happening to me?"

"What do you think is happening?"

"I don't know. It probably has something to do with.Buffy's soul?"

"Most likely."

"Most likely?"

"It is not my body. You have to discover the problem for yourself."

"Well I just can't talk to my soul. It's not something you talk to. 'Hey soul, how are you? Keeping my girlfriend company?'"

"Not in the conventional way. You're soul, Buffy's soul, is a part of you. You can communicate with it. Not many people know how, but you have the ability. Most times it happens involuntarily through dreams. Although it doesn't have to happen that way."

"Oh.okay. Well.um.I have to go see her."

She visited Buffy after every patrol. It was a ritual. "Be careful."

"I know. Will you be at Giles'?"

The Goddess had vanished. Willow should've gotten used to that by now, but it still freaked her out a little. She glanced over her shoulder, and made her way to the hospital.

***

Cordelia, Xander, and Oz sat in Giles' house, reading. They had been trying to find anything to put Buffy back where she was supposed to be, but so far, there was nothing at all. They were starting to get worried.

On the plus side, Xander was back to full strength. His legs had healed, and his bones had set rather quickly. Quicker than expected by normal medical standards, anyway. They all figured that it had to do with the Goddess' presence in their lives every day.

She hadn't healed him directly, but when she was around, things seemed to flourish, and the air was charged with feelings. Feelings of goodness, healing - positive things. Of course Xander hadn't thought that deeply. He was just glad that his legs were in working condition again.

"Who else is frustrated?" Cordelia asked. The three other people raised their hands.

"These books could use simplification." Oz said.

"Somehow I don't think that would help." Giles said.

"What are you saying?" Xander asked, already knowing the answer.

Giles took his glasses off, and rubbed his eyes. "That none of these books may hold the answer."

"Well, what about the Goddess person? Who by the way, could use massive amounts of plastic surgery."

"She chooses that guise."

"Well that's the worst choice in the history of choices. So back to my question. what about her? She's gotta know something."

"If she did, I think she would have given a clue as to where to look, but she hasn't. We cannot rely on her for everything. We're lucky she's aiding us at all."

Cordelia flinched slightly at his tone. "Somebody needs a pill."

"I'm sorry, Cordelia. I'm just -"

"Exhausted. Like the rest of us." Xander finished.

"Call it a night?" Oz asked, although it was more like a statement.

"Yes, you three should. I have to wait for Willow to return." They all hesitated. "Go. I'll call each of you when she gets back."

They waited another second, and went out the door. Giles turned around, and came face to face with the Goddess.

"You should rest." She said.

"Eventually I'll get around to it. Is she all right?"

"For now. When she returns she'll have things to tell you. Things are."

"Things are what?"

"Progressing. On both sides. Someone carries the answer to restoring Buffy to her rightful place, but there are difficult times ahead."

"When are there not?"

The Goddess smiled briefly, and disappeared as quickly as she had come.

***

Angelus followed Willow as she walked. Seeing no sign of the Goddess, he was glad. More than he would admit to himself. He was evil, sure. But he wasn't strong enough, powerful enough, to match the goodness, and the light that emanated from the old witch. So he had no choice when he succumbed to her.

But it was still embarrassing.

He followed Willow every night, but somehow after awhile, she had managed to elude him. Fighting her tonight, he came to the conclusion that it probably had something to do with magick. A trick so she was invisible to him or something. He always despised spells. Well, only when it was used against him.

He noticed that she always passed by the hospital. She would walk the next block down, turn onto the next street, and that's when he'd lose her. Tonight as she turned down that street, he hung back, and waited across the street from the hospital.

Sure enough, a couple minutes later, Willow jogged to the hospital entrance.

'So.Buffy's out of commission. Clever, Willow.'

He started to walk over to the hospital, and then stopped, cursing under his breath. He could smell the sun coming. Frustrated, but feeling better, he stalked off. He'd be back. After all it was good manners to pay respects to sick. He was practically family, after all.

***

Willow entered Buffy's room. The nurses had stopped trying to deny her access. It wasn't worth the effort. She saw Joyce asleep in a chair, by the bed. Willow smiled sadly. She didn't know who missed Buffy more. Her or Joyce.

Not wanting to wake her, Willow walked around to the other side of the bed. There were no more chairs, so she knelt on the floor, and grasped Buffy's hand.

"I.kinda need to talk to you. Big patrol tonight. Finally ran into Angelus. That was a big, not very fun thing. We're close to getting you back. I can feel it. So, I'm gonna try something."

'The Goddess said I could talk with my soul. I just have to close my eyes, and concentrate.'

***

She closed her eyes, thought about Buffy, envisioned her inner self, and took deep breaths. After a few seconds, she wasn't aware of the hospital anymore, and the next thing she saw was her dorm room. Their dorm room.

"Willow?"

That was Buffy's voice. Willow looked around to Buffy's bed, and saw her soul and Buffy's sitting on it, joined together. "Buffy?"

"You're here." They both said at the same time.

Willow went over to her, and they embraced.

"And here I thought." Buffy trailed off when she felt the tug of her soul partner.

"What's wrong?"

"Soul You has been a little more active lately. I've been fighting it, but I don't know how long I can last."

"Until what?"

"I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with permanent melding."

"That's probably what."

"Huh?"

"Nothing. I'm gonna get you back in your body, don't worry."

"If you tell me not to, I won't. You been okay?"

"So far. You?" Not exactly sure what to say.

"Gets lonely."

"Even with -"

"This," Buffy said looking over at Soul Willow, "is just a part of you. I want the whole package."

"Big agreeing ditto from me. I miss you."

"Same here, Will. Come 'ere." They hugged again.

Willow looked over at her soul. "And you behave. Don't fight with her. You'll hurt both of us."

"But.I want her to stay." Her voice echoed back at her.

"You know where she belongs."

"In your arms? Physical arms, I mean." Buffy smirked. Well, as much as she could in her current state.

"I like the sound of that." Willow felt herself, her body, calling her back to the world.

"I know you have to go.just hurry, okay?"

"Count on it. Love you."

She heard Buffy echo her words as everything disappeared.

***

"Willow? Willow, are you all right?"

It was Joyce. She was leaning over her, and Willow realized she had been lying on the floor of the room. She knew what she had just experienced had happened, but every time she did something mystical and metaphysical, she was always questioning if it was real or a dream.

She realized she hadn't answered Joyce. "Yeah, Mrs. Summers. I'm fine."

"I woke up and you were laying on the floor. I tried to wake you, but you wouldn't, and I was just about to get a nurse -"

"I'm fine, really." Joyce had been through a lot lately, and Willow saw how worried she looked. She embraced her.

"I was so scared. If something happened to you.Buffy wouldn't have a reason to come back." Joyce took a deep breath. "That sounded horrible.I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I know what you meant. Did you get much sleep?"

"Enough. Come on.I'll give you a ride to Mr. Giles' house."

"Okay." Willow put her hand in Joyce's. "Soon. I promise."

Joyce smiled at her, and they walked out of the room.

***

Around noon the next day, they were all in Giles' house, and Willow had filled them in on everything that had happened. They all were a little more hopeful, because it meant Buffy was really there. With Willow. It was something to help them keep going.

There was a knock on the door, and Giles went to answer it. They all looked as he opened it.

"Hello everyone." Wesley said, as they stared at him.

"When I held that gun, I felt an incredible surge of power. Like God must feel when he's holding a gun.." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You've been fighting evil here for three years, and I've helped some, and now we're supposed to decide what we want to do with our lives. And I just realized that that's what I want to do. Fight evil, help people. I mean, I think it's worth doing. And I don't think you do it because you have to. It's a good fight, Buffy, and I want in."

"I kind of love you."
(Willow Rosenberg, Buffy Summers, BTVS)

"Don't.."
"What? Don't love you? I didn't know I got a choice in that."
(Angel, Buffy Summers, BTVS)