FIC: A Nightmare in Sunnydale(Prologue)

Okay. I've wanted to do this ever since I saw the Nightmare on Elm Street films. Who better Freddy Kruger than Buffy?

I don't know what I'm gonna do with it yet, but it's set after Buffy's return in Becoming One. (Which isn't written yet) So it'll probably be a part in the story. A distraction from Angelus and the bigger plot.

A NIGHTMARE IN SUNNYDALE

The lights in Jake's bedroom were off. Candles were lit all around the room. The flames flickered showing the various objects that he had on display. A Freddy Kruger poster hung on his door. A glove with five razors sat on his bureau. All seven films were on his shelf, along with a doll, a dirty brown hat, and red and green sweater.

Playing in his VCR was the original film. The one that started the series. Started his obsession. His friend sat beside him, looking nervous.

"This is crazy."

"Why? You scared?" Jake asked, amused.

"Course not, it's just -"

"Ssh. This is cool. Right before Tina bites it."

The TV showed Tina, the first victim, staring down an alley at an approaching Freddy.

"Please God."

He held up his gloved hand. "This.is God."

Jake focused his attention back on his task. He dropped a magazine clipping of Freddy into a bowl, and a piece of the sweater. He bought the original outfit at a recent auction, it had cost him, and his parents' credit cards a lot of money.

"He's the best horror villain of all time, man."

"Yeah, yeah he is. Isn't this.dangerous?"

"Look, I got this book that said that if people believe in something enough, even something in a movie, it can take on a life of it's own."

"But.he's just a guy in messed up latex."

"Maybe, but the name Freddy Kruger scares everybody in some way. He's etched in my mind. Every night I go to sleep." He knew he sounded nuts, but he was beyond caring.

"So you wanna make him real? Come on, Jake."

"If you don't believe, get out. I won't stop you."

"No.no.I'll stay."

Jake closed his eyes, and began to chant the words from the book. He had become fascinated with the occult. And that coupled with obsessing over a teenage-killing maniac, was not a good mix.

"Bring forth the essence of the being." Jake lit a match, and started burning the contents of the bowl. Smoke started to rise. "Let him enter reality. Let his evil leave the fictional realm, release him from his prison."

The wind picked from outside and the candles blew out. The movie was still running.

"I brought something back from my dream." Nancy said on screen, holding Kruger's hat.

It all stopped after a minute. And both boys jumped up, looking around the room frantically.

"Didn't work." His friend sighed in relief.

"Guess not." Jake said, almost sadly.

"See you tomorrow? Gotta get home."

"Yeah, tomorrow."

"Sleep night." He said sarcastically.

"Funny."

***

An hour later, Jake went to sleep frustrated. He knew it wasn't going to work, but still.

In the middle of the night, he woke up hearing a screeching sound. He reached over to his bureau, and turned on the lamp.

The glove.was missing. He got out of bed quickly.

The TV came on. Little girls in pure white dresses were jump roping in a park. And singing.

"One, two Freddy's coming for you,

"Three, Four better lock your door,

"Five, Six grab your crucifix,

"Seven, Eight better stay up late,

"Nine, Ten never sleep again."

He went over to the TV, and checked the VCR on top of it. No tape. This dream was different. He didn't feel.in control. He went to turn the TV off, and a gloved hand reached through the TV, and grabbed his shirt.

He was staring face to face with his obsession.

"You wanted me, Piglet. Well, Freddy's home."

"But. this isn't Elm Street."

"You watch too many movies."

The last thing Jake saw was razor blades coming at his eyes.

***

"When I held that gun, I felt an incredible surge of power. Like God must feel when he's holding a gun.." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You've been fighting evil here for three years, and I've helped some, and now we're supposed to decide what we want to do with our lives. And I just realized that that's what I want to do. Fight evil, help people. I mean, I think it's worth doing. And I don't think you do it because you have to. It's a good fight, Buffy, and I want in."

"I kind of love you."
(Willow Rosenberg, Buffy Summers, BTVS)

"Don't.."
"What? Don't love you? I didn't know I got a choice in that."
(Angel, Buffy Summers, BTVS)