FIC: The World

Hey. This is my fic in tribute to Andy Kaufman and Man On the Moon. Go see it. I use a song from the soundtrack called, "This Friendly World" sung by R.E.M., Andy Kaufman, and Tony Clifton.(Both portrayed by Jim Carrey)

THE WORLD

Buffy came back early from patrol, and she did something that was rare for her. She was doing homework. Or dorm work. Actually, she was just passing time until Willow got back. Xander had dragged her to some new movie, and she was late.

Buffy knew she shouldn't worry, but it was night. In Sunnydale.

'It's just your nerves. Relax.'

It was just that every time Willow, or any of her friends, went out during the night without her, she got this knot in her stomach. Which wouldn't go away until she knew they were safe. And right now Willow was out, and her worry was higher than usual.

The hacker/aspiring Wicca, had become her world. Over the years she'd known her, the friendship they'd gained.if she lost it.lost her world.she shuddered thinking about it. And since college started, Willow was her savior when she dealt with the horrors that came with higher education. She was the one who was able to make sense of it all.

There was also something about living together that deepened things even more. And despite her lack of contact with most everyone, but her small circle, Willow had enveloped every aspect of her, and was her connection with.everyone else. But she really didn't care for everyone else.

Then, the door opened, and Willow walked in. Buffy sighed with relief.

"Sorry I'm late. I would've been here earlier, but Xander liked the movie so much that we had to go buy the soundtrack."

"That's the movie about the comedian everyone hated, right?"

"Yeah. Andy Kaufman. If the movie was accurate, though, he was really a sweet guy under everything."

"So you liked it?"

"It was really good. Strangely moving too. Made me think."

"About what?"

"You."

"Me? How could a guy who acted like a nut, make you think of me? Maybe I shouldn't have asked that."

Willow took a CD out of her jacket, and stuck it in their boombox.

"He was a guy who hid behind different personalities. He was never really himself. He only showed himself to a few select people. Like you."

"I'm me all the time."

"But you never let down your defenses to let people see who you really are."

"Not for anyone but you. You're special to me, Will. You get me. No one else really does."

"They would if you let them."

"But I don't want to. I can't afford to."

"That was Andy's problem. He never showed people who he was, and when he finally tried to, people didn't believe him, and stopped caring."

"Why are you saying this?"

"Because as much as I appreciate having you all to myself," Willow went to sit next to Buffy and brushed her hair back, "I don't want you to think that you have to hide from everyone. And spend your life.not living."

"Is that what you think I'm doing?"

"Buffy, I love you, you know that right?" Buffy nodded, and they kissed. "I want to see you as happy as you can be. I know being a slayer and having a life is hard, but the world's not that bad of a.wait. Listen to this."

Willow got up, pushed play, and sat back down. Buffy was about to say something, but Willow put a finger to her lips.

(In this friendly, friendly world,

With each day so full of joy

Why should any heart, be lonely

(In this friendly, friendly world,

With each night so full of dreams

Why should any heart, be afraid

(The world is such a wonderful place,

To wander through,

When you've got someone you love,

To wander along with you,

(With the sky so full of stars,

And the river so full of song,

Every heart should be,

So thankful,

(The world is such a wonderful place,

To wander through,

When you've got someone you love,

To wander along with you,

(With the sky so full of stars,

And the river so full of song,

Every heart should be,

So thankful,

(Thankful for this friendly, friendly world)

Buffy got the message. "The world isn't a bad place, huh?" Willow shook her head. "Show it to me?"

Willow's answer was a kiss. She always looked out for her. And it looked like they had some wandering to do.

"When I held that gun, I felt an incredible surge of power. Like God must feel when he's holding a gun.." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You've been fighting evil here for three years, and I've helped some, and now we're supposed to decide what we want to do with our lives. And I just realized that that's what I want to do. Fight evil, help people. I mean, I think it's worth doing. And I don't think you do it because you have to. It's a good fight, Buffy, and I want in."

"I kind of love you."
(Willow Rosenberg, Buffy Summers, BTVS)

"Don't.."
"What? Don't love you? I didn't know I got a choice in that."
(Angel, Buffy Summers, BTVS)