Re: RE: Round-robin thingy

Hey.

I posted it to this list. It also should be up at Pinkrabbit in a day or two. Here it is again though. Hope you like.

DRAWING CLOSER

Buffy entered the restaurant. She knew Willow was already here. She and her "Wiccan other half" were actually going to attempt a traditional date. The last time they had done that was a bowling alley and the ice cream shop. She smiled at the memory.

Willow knew she had been on edge lately. After talking to Giles about what Xander and Oz saw, they were all pretty sure that opening the Hellmouth was Angelus' plan. And that mysterious cloaked figure.for lack of a better term, "wigged her."

She and Willow had set up a slaying schedule. Three days out of the week, they would slay together. And the other four days, they would split up, and try going solo. To hone, and so they didn't get dependant on one another. After all, there were times that they'd get separated. It was a good system.

In all their nights, there hadn't been any major conflicts with Angelus, but weirder things were popping up. Slightly bigger problems than Hell snakes. Which were distracting them from concentrating on how to deal with the big picture of the Hellmouth, how to keep the demons where they belonged, and close their exit permanently.

Tonight was one of her solo patrol nights and she promised Willow, that no matter how horrible she thought she looked afterwards, she would meet her here. In the restaurant. It was a nice place. Not stuffy, but not a fast food place either. All tables, no booths, candles in the center of the tables, and a straightforward menu.

She spotted Willow sitting at a table near the back, looking around. Probably looking for her. She made her way back to her.

"Here I am. Disheveled, but here." Buffy said.

"You look great." 'And you know you do.' "The waiter was starting to get impatient. I think this was my eighth glass of water."

"I suppose a bladder comment might be inappropriate, huh?"

"Could ruin the mood just a little."

Buffy sat down on a chair at the other side of the table. They had originally planned on this being a group dinner, but Xander and Cordelia were into serious "alone" time, Oz was at a practice, and Giles and Wesley wouldn't take a single break, which made all of them feel guilty. But the two men insisted that they all took their moments when they could. While they had them.

Which actually depressed them quite a bit. But sitting down and preparing to order, Willow and Buffy promised themselves that they would push all thoughts out of their heads. At least for a few hours.

"So."

"So."

They were quiet. Conversation topics weren't coming.

"Hellmouth, huh?"

"Big and scary."

Buffy shook her head. "I don't wanna talk about it.but I do. You know?"

"As in you'd like to ignore it, but you know we'll have to deal with it?"

"Hmm hmmm."

"Well.did you run into anything big during patrol?"

"Not really. Six of those flesh-eating lizard things, though."

"Buffy!" Willow said, worried.

"I have all my flesh."

"How'd you get them all?"

"They don't like matches. Especially the lighted kind that burns them till they keel over."

"And you avoided burning anything else?" Willow's look said, 'Please say you did.'

"Yes. There was carefulness and avoidance. Geez! But.if we can get a chance to actually get to the Master's lair, I say we just go in hard and fast, destroy Angelus' decorating, and then him."

"You think that's a good idea?"

"Well Xander and Oz were down there. They were fine."

"That was before Angelus knew we were onto him." Willow sighed. "But you're right. Let's not talk about this."

Buffy saw the waiter start to come over out of the corner of her eye, and focused to get a better look. The waiter, well, he wasn't the waiter anymore. The Master stood in his place.

"This time, I'll make sure you stay dead." He said.

Then Buffy felt Willow's hand atop hers. She turned around.

"Buffy? You okay?"

She looked over. The waiter was there now.

"Are you ready to order?"

***

Wesley was on the phone when Willow walked into Giles house.

"No one has seen him at all?.are you sure?.well thank you.be cautious.good bye."

Giles heard the last part as he came walking down the stairs, but Willow asked the question before he could.

"What was that about?"

"One of my confidantes, my only confidante, at the Council says Quentin has.disappeared."

"Disappeared?" Giles asked.

Wesley nodded. "And ever since, random watchers have done the same."

"Did you talk to any of them much?" Willow asked.

"Why?"

Giles saw what Willow was getting at, and it made sense. Even though he didn't like to think it. "Quentin's and the watchers' disappearances may not have been so random, Wesley. If someone found out Quentin let you leave discreetly."

"He could have been killed." Wesley said.

"And whoever did it could be trying to find out where you went. By asking people you knew, and then killing them if they don't tell." She added.

"Oh God." Wesley said sinking into a chair.

"Don't say 'it's all my fault' and 'look what I've done.' You did the right thing. We've known the Council was dirty, and you should be glad you got out."

"But they're not all bad people."

"No, they're not." Giles agreed. "But that isn't the issue. Your safety is a priority as of right now."

Wesley just stared blankly. Willow decided to take the opportunity of silence to explain why she came.

"Sorry to change topics a little, but there's another priority now too. I had to fight with Buffy over this to get her to let me tell you.and it's a good thing she has a class right now or else she probably would have tried to stop.well I'm exaggerating just a."

"Willow?"

"Buffy's been seeing the Master." She said, ending her rambling abruptly.

"As in?"

"Visions, dreams, it's really getting to her. Besides Angelus, he's the only one who can.unravel her. It's scary. For both of us."

"I'd imagine it is. I thought we had gotten rid of."

"So there's a possibility? Cause I was kinda hoping you would tell me it was just her nerves, and I could do the soothing thing."

"There are no certainties as far as the Hellmouth is concerned, Willow. You know that." He ran his hand through his hair. "I should read."

"I'll assist you. Whatever or whomever may or may not be searching for me, has not found me yet, and there is still work to be done." Wesley said, focusing.

"I'll go to Buffy and try.something. Oh and Wesley? There's no shame in hiding. It's saved me plenty. See ya."

Willow left, as Giles started to leaf through his collection.

"She's right." He said.

"If the need arises." Wesley stated, trying to look tough. Then his expression relaxed into a more worrisome state. "Are there any really good spots around town.that is.if one should.want to hide?"

***

Xander was lying on his bed, marker in hand, reading a newspaper. The real estate section to be more specific. Cordelia was sitting on the edge, glancing down at it with him.

"Any of these look good? I don't wanna get something too cockroach infested."

"It's up to you."

"Wait. I just had a.why don't we share an apartment? We could split the rent."

"You really think we're gonna be around long enough to enjoy it?"

He moved the newspaper off to the side, and sat up next to her.

"You don't think we'll win? We always win. You know the saying. Good always triumphs over evil. Buffy and Will, they know what they're doing and -"

"Okay.that wasn't the reason." She took a deep breath. "I've.been making some calls, and there's a job opening up in New York. It's a boutique, and the owner was really good friends with my parents, and she's gonna try and keep it open as long as she can."

"New York?"

"I'm thinking of going to Columbia."

"So you're leaving again? Only this time you're going cross country?" He got up off the bed, and stood with his back turned to her. "I hate déjà vu."

"Only this time I want you to come with me."

"But."

"Look, the only reason I'd even consider not going is because of you. But if you come with me, we can start our lives over. And do that togetherness thing Buffy and Willow are so good at."

"What about them? They're our friends." He asked, turning around.

"Yeah, and I'd miss them. But people move away all the time. I don't want to get away because there's vampires here or anything, but because there's no chance for me to make anything of my life here. And none for you either.

"Their life has direction. They're in college, and I'm sure if everything goes well, they'll get the hell outta here eventually too." She stood up, and grabbed his hand.

"I tried to go it on my own, but I couldn't. It would help if I had someone to back me up. And I know people in New York. Not as many as I used to, but you can get a really good job, maybe take night courses -"

"I need to think."

"We've got time. I wouldn't leave until after the whole Hellmouth thing is over anyway. I'll leave you alone. Just.consider it?"

He nodded, as she walked up the basement steps.

***

"His ignorance will be his undoing."

Buffy lifted her head up off her desk, to find the classroom empty. And standing by the chalkboard-on-wheels was the Goddess.

"What are you doing here?"

"You're dreaming. I took the opportunity to come talk to you. I don't think we've formally met."

"This isn't that formal either, but hi. Willow said you left."

"Not completely. I've just taken on my more traditional role."

"What's that?"

"An unseen guide and watcher. As I told her, I cannot assist you anymore. Directly."

"What did you need to talk to me about?"

"His ignorance will be his undoing."

"Who? The Master?"

"Yes. I realize he is unnerving to you. He is an evil creature, but you should not fear him. He is too single-minded. Much like Angelus."

"What do you mean? Are you saying he's the one Angelus is working with? Positively?"

"Demons, vampires, when they are killed on Earth, lose their body here, so they can no longer be a threat. But they are not completely destroyed. They just wander Hell aimlessly. When vampires are created, these wandering demon spirits are reborn into a host body on Earth."

"So demons are recycled?"

"Much like souls. You can never truly destroy a soul, or a demon. You can damage it, take its energy, but it never vanishes completely."

"And the Master?"

"He's a special case. He had been on Earth quite awhile. So long, that his host body became disfigured and evil just like him. The body became attached to the parasite, so to speak."

"So when I dusted him."

"He went back to Hell, in the same form that he had in this dimension. And because of that, he has not wandered aimlessly. He has been marshalling forces. He is the one who got Angelus released."

"To get him out. And the rest of Hell. But why couldn't he ask to leave just like Angelus?"

"Because Angelus was not destroyed. He was 'visiting', where as the Master had been sent to Hell properly. He belonged there. The Master needed someone on the outside, to bring him back ritually. And you and Willow are meant to stop it. Once and for all."

"But how? The Master -"

"He thought he had destroyed you once. Underestimated you. So in ignorance, and assuming he had won easily, he went to claim power. It's always power. But you made him pay for that ignorance."

"Maybe.but he still.that was then."

"True. But the Master has been residing in Hell for a long while. He does not know how powerful you've become, or what Willow has grown into. Even now he ignores Angelus' warnings."

"But if the Hellmouth opens all this other stuff will be supporting him."

"He is their leader. An army, even one of demons, cannot function properly without -"

She was awoken by the bell signifying the end of class.

'Without what?'

***

She returned to the dorm after leaving class, to find a message on the machine. She pushed the playback button.

"Buff, it's me. Could you meet me at the coffee place? Will's coming too. See ya there."

What did Xander want to talk to them about?

***

Wesley sat in Giles' house reading over the volumes on Hell they had managed to dig up. There were very few, and he knew if he still had access to the Council, he would have gotten a wealth of information out of their resources. But he had to keep reminding himself that the Council was started for an evil purpose, and had fooled them all.

The thought overwhelmed him. The institution he dedicated himself to was run by a dark influence. One that was apparently after him. He started to put everything together. When the Hellmouth was opened, the Council would conveniently disintegrate, following orders, and leaving only one thing standing in the way of the demonic takeover.

Seven people that were three thousand miles across the ocean. Two of them having a destiny to do so, another a werewolf, two others civilians, and two ex-watchers.

He shook his head to clear it. Focusing on numbers wouldn't do any good. Giles had gone to try and speak with the Spirit Guides at Wesley's urging. Normally, the ominous future tellers wouldn't release much information, but circumstances were becoming more and more dire. It was worth a shot. They hoped they'd at least find out when it was supposed to occur.

They had basically put together that the opening of the Hellmouth had to be done through a ritual that had been ordained to take place for quite some time. There had been occurrences of "almost openings" throughout history of course. Most notably the Master's attempts, but they had all been thwarted.

The difference between the ones before and now, was that if the Hellmouth were opened, there'd be no closing it. No temporary sealing it. If they failed to prevent it, and the demons were let free, there was only one option. Destroy it. Or, let Hell's minions pour out onto the Earth.

The destruction could only be done by one person. The Great Sorceress would have to be it. While her fellow warrior and life partner, the Slayer, would be left to battle the leader of Hell's forces and his army. Everyone knew who those two people were. Buffy and Willow.

But they were all hoping it wouldn't come to that. The Opening ritual, while the books they had didn't go into detail, did say it was simple to execute, but preparation was long and tedious. Which explained why Angelus had been so scarce.

As much as they didn't think it was an intelligent idea, storming the Master's lair was turning out to be their best option. And that meant risking a confrontation with Angelus as well as whatever other traps and dangers might have been waiting down in the sewers and the old vampire's sanctuary.

At least it was a simple, straightforward plan. Not very complicated.

Wesley was in the midst of turning a page when the front door flew open. Angelus stalked in, fangs gleaming.

"Rupert should really lock his door."

"What.what do you want?" Wesley asked, standing up.

"Insurance. You'll do fine. And they say you can't find a good policy these days."

"Why?" He began feeling underneath the papers and books on the table for something.

"Seeing as Hell's gonna come to town tomorrow night -"

"Tomorrow night?"

Angelus grabbed him by the shirt. "That's right. And I can't have Buffy spoiling everything."

"So you're going to keep me alive?"

"As much as I want to kill you, you're no good to me dead. Besides, I've heard somebody else has first crack at you."

Wesley finally grabbed what he wanted. He flung the cross in front of Angelus' face, and the vampire cringed. And then he slugged Wesley in the face, knocking his glasses off, and making him enter unconsciousness.

"I really, really hate those things." He went to pick Wesley up, and then stopped. "I should leave a note."

***

"Okay. Here's the thing." Xander said once Buffy and Willow were sitting at the table in the corner coffee shop. "Cordy wants to go to Columbia. And that's in New York, and."

"You want to go with her." Willow stated.

"I'm thinking about it.yeah. But I wanted to hear what you guys thought, before I committed to anything."

"It doesn't matter what we think." Buffy said.

"Just humor me?"

"From a realistic standpoint, this could.be really good for you. And I think you know that. You can get out, start a life, make a career. It'd be safer.somewhat. It is New York, after all." Buffy grinned.

"But from a friend standpoint.we'd miss you." Willow said. "We've known each other forever, and not having you in my life every day."

"Why do you think I'm up in the air about this, Will?" He asked.

Willow smiled at him, and turned to Buffy. "I didn't mean to exclude you from the friend standpoint, Buffy. It's just -"

'It's okay. You and Xander have history.'

Buffy grabbed Xander's hand. "Xander even though we'll both miss you, a lot," Buffy looked to Willow for the okay for what she was about say, "what we're trying to say -"

"Is that you think I should go."

"Only if you want to, but it's probably the best thing you could do for yourself." Willow added.

"Well.I don't wanna lose her again."

"And you don't have to. I mean, it's not like we won't ever see each other again."

"She's right, Xand." Buffy said. "It's your life. We'll back up your decision. Right?"

"Right." Willow agreed. She had known something like this was bound to happen, but she still couldn't get her mind around the fact that her lifelong friend would be going away. "Right. Your life, you should do what you want."

"This is one of those 'crossroad of life' things, isn't it?" He asked.

"Looks like it." Buffy said.

He sighed. This wasn't the kind of decision you made lightly. "I don't know.I'll decide after -"

"There you are. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find you." Giles panted, running up and holding a piece of paper in his hand.

"What's wrong?" The three of them asked simultaneously.

Giles gestured to the paper he was holding as he handed it to Willow. He also pulled Wesley's glasses out of his pocket. They went wide-eyed as Willow began to read.

" 'I've got him. He's safe for now, but if I so much as smell you, and you try to interfere, he dies. Can't wait to see you afterwards. Hell. It'll be quite a sight.' "

"When does this happen, Giles?"

"Tomorrow night."

"If I could just say a few words...I'd be a better public speaker." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You know what the secret of life is?"
"Your finger?"
"One thing. Just one thing."
"That's great, but what's the one thing?"
"That's what you gotta figure out."
(Jack Palance, Billy Crystal, City Slickers)

"I heard your heartbeat." (Buffy Summers, to Angel, ANGEL)