FIC: Chanukmas Part 2

Here's the next installment.

(PART TWO)

The thrill and excitement of air travel wore off when they got on the plane at Philadelphia. By then, they were all irritable, and really tired. Buffy, Willow, and Joyce were sitting together; Cordelia, Xander, and Giles were across from them; and Spike, Angel, and Kate were behind them.

After awhile, the only ones left awake were Cordelia, Buffy, and the two vampires. Willow had fallen asleep on Buffy's shoulder, and the blonde had to smile. She had planned everything. The trip, got everyone to chip in for the cost, she did all of it. Buffy couldn't wait to see what else she had up her sleeves.

"Hey Cor, you still awake?"

"Barely. He kept talking about the Mile High Club until he finally gave up and fell asleep. I'm just trying to make sure he doesn't drool."

Buffy smirked. "I take it you didn't want to?"

"Oh no, it's just too late." She grinned back. "So were you surprised?"

"Pleasantly. How long did she plan this for?"

"Months. She even had Giles and Angel dig up all the books and make sure there wasn't any prophecies predicting dorm for the world for the next week and a half. Of course I had to do the actual finding of the books."

"Lots of dust?"

"You have no idea. But wait'll you see where we're staying."

"The surprises just don't stop."

"Do you want them to?"

Buffy looked at the woman resting at her side again. The woman who had shown her that love wasn't an impossible dream. She still couldn't believe it had been two years. She had never been in a nice, happy, solid relationship for that long. With anybody. But then again, Willow wasn't just anybody. She was.Willow.

Her mom had taken awhile to get used to it. But she when she had seen how happy her daughter was, she couldn't help but support her. Buffy remembered her reaction when her mom had told her she and Giles were seeing each other. It was a similar reaction to her mother's. But she was happy, and so was Giles, so how could she not be happy for them?

"Buffy.you there?"

"Yeah. No. I mean, I don't want them to stop."

"You seem awfully relaxed considering we've been running like crazy around two different airports, got on two planes, and it's been the middle of the night twice. And you can just sit there and zone out. What gives?"

"I never did understand why they called it the Mile High Club. We're way more higher in the air than a mile, right? Or, at least.I was."

Cordelia gasped. "You mean.no.when you.no.wasn't it a tight fit?"

***

Behind them, Angel kept an eye on Kate as she slept. Watching her, he still couldn't quite figure out how he'd gotten so lucky. He figured it would always be part of him. The need to question why he was given chances, given anything remotely good. He always expected there to be a catch.

But he knew Kate was like him. She didn't let that many people in. A lot of that had to do with having to maintain an image as a cop, but he also guessed it had a good deal to do with her father, and the loss of her mother. From the short time he had been around the man, he could tell the retired cop wasn't very open or caring towards his daughter. But she was good at hiding everything. Just like he was.

So Angel kept telling himself that he would take the risk. Take the leap and let her in. Maybe they could break each other's walls down. The woman needed to be loved, and if he was honest with himself, he knew needed to be too. He took his gaze off of her, and saw Spike looking across him at her too.

"She's got some brass ones. Tough as nails and all that."

"That a compliment?"

"Just saying I respect a woman who can hold her own."

"She does what it takes to be a good cop."

"That's crap. We've both been around long enough to read people as soon as we see them. The reason she's good at her job is cause she was raised to be a hardass. She doesn't go weeping at home every night. Most cops are bloated; donut-eating wankers who couldn't catch a quadriplegic. Doesn't let things get to her, and she gets the bad guys. Simple."

"But locking yourself off is unhealthy."

"And you have the key, right? I know what's going on with you. You're thinking you'll get each other to open up. To love. You're already hopeless. But if you work the sensitive angle.well you do that, you'll ruin her."

"You can't stop, can you?"

"What? Tearing at your core? It's a hobby." Spike smiled, and then turned serious. "But you know I'm right. If she starts caring, she'll lose what makes her a good cop. Emotional detachment. It's a necessity in her line of work, mate."

"Down the road, that kind of lifestyle can eat away at a person. Change them."

"You mean turn them into them into mental cases? Yeah, that would be a damn shame. Thankfully, I happen to find insanity very attractive."

Why didn't he realize it sooner? "All this time, your whole speech has been because you can't let go of her." Spike glared at him. "That's truly sad."

"Great all-knowing, humanity-having Angel."

"You're giving me too much credit, Spike. I just know you. And you're still trying to get to me and make me question myself. All to help you forget your problems.you never change."

"I was busting your stones to keep myself from getting bored. You know it and I know it. You got the chick, so leave it."

"Fair enough."

They were both quiet after that, lost in their own thoughts.

***

"We're here, honey. You're going to have to wake her." Joyce said.

Buffy ran her hand through Willow's hair. "She's.so beautiful." She said softly.

"Yes she is." Joyce didn't get a chance to see the two of them together like this very often, but when she did, it was like watching a well-done romantic movie, and at the same time, it was better than any movie. They were so close, and that in itself was beautiful. "But she's also the one who ordered the rental car."

"Disney World awaits." She touched Willow's cheek, and Joyce got up out of her seat. "Hey you. We made it."

Willow stirred awake, a smile on her face. "Good."

"I didn't think it was possible for anyone to sleep that well on an airplane."

"You were my pillow." The redhead stated matter-of-factly.

They got up then, and started walking towards the door.

***

"You coming?" Kate asked Angel as he helped her out of her seat.

"Yeah. I'll grab the bags. Be right behind you."

She smiled at him, and he reached for the overhead compartment. He started reaching around for their things. Then he felt Spike's hand on his shoulder.

"She may not be my type, but she's nuts about you. Don't screw it up."

He watched Spike walk off, smiled, and shook his head in near disbelief.

***

"Yes! We're here! Florida! Fun, sun, swamps." Xander said excitedly as he and Cordelia walked through the jet-way, Giles and Joyce behind them.

"Sssh! It's midnight!"

"Somebody's grouchy. You know, if you had slept on the plane like I did, you'd be full of pep too."

"Doubt it."

"Oh come on. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride awaits."

"Four parks with all kinds of stuff to do, and you pick the one with the kiddy rides."

"That's what Disney does to you. It makes you feel like a little kid, while at the same time, taking all your money and making you poor like one. It's an amazing place." He looked at her more closely. "I see that twinkle. You're just as excited as I am."

"Well.I've always liked.the Dumbo ride."

"A woman after my own heart." She laughed, and then he kissed her. "Last one into the airport's Donald Duck!"

He started to run down the nearly empty corridor. "Oh no you don't!" Cordelia called after him, running as well.

Joyce smiled, as did Giles. "This is going to be an interesting holiday."

"Let's go start it then."

***

"How's it feel driving a real car, Giles?" Xander asked as they tried to find their way out of the airport.

"Actually, it's a minivan." Willow said.

"You know what I meant. What are you, some sort of automotive expert?"

"If she was, she would've gotten something with more leg room." Spike said.

She turned around and stuck her tongue out at him. Buffy had a map in her hands and was half paying attention to the conversation. "Take the south exit out, Giles."

"I could sleep for days." Kate said.

"I hear ya, sister." Cordelia agreed.

"But you can't! There's things to do tomorrow! Vacationy, fun things!" Willow said panicked.

"We will. We will. But sleep. Need sleep." Xander said.

"What road?" Giles asked.

"Oscar Ebola Parkway." Buffy said trying to decipher the name.

"Osceola?" He asked, seeing her nod in the rearview mirror. "Says there's a toll up ahead."

"Here." Joyce said, and got a dollar out of her purse.

Buffy watched Giles accept the bill, and he smiled. She knew there were a million different things meant when her mother and her almost father touched hands. If she didn't feel about Willow the same way they felt about each other, she wouldn't have picked up on it. But since she did, it gave her bad images. They were over the hill for crying out loud.

Thankfully, Willow's tugging on her arm let her become distracted. "You're gonna back me up, right?"

"Completely, Will. But tell me where we're staying."

"Disney's Wilderness Lodge."

Buffy whistled as Willow handed her the brochure. "Wow."

"I didn't hear that." Spike said. Everybody was silent. "Not the D word. No.no. Aw, bloody hell."

He was trapped, because they were already turning onto the exit. They were almost there.

***

They entered the Wilderness Lodge Resort and went to the check-in desk and got their keys, and headed to their rooms. As they walked through the lobby and saw the Christmas trees and gigantic fireplace that added to the rustic cabin motif, they were all awed. A deluxe Disney hotel might have cost an arm and a leg, but it was worth it.

They headed to elevators, and Buffy whispered what they were all thinking, looking at the Lodge's employees.

"They probably all went through some kinda hypnosis where by it's impossible to not to smile."

"I'd hate to see the bills to their psychiatrists." Cordelia said.

When they reached their rooms, Willow handed off four keys. One, to Giles and Joyce, one to Cordelia and Xander, one to Angel and Kate, and one to Spike.

"I figured you wouldn't want to bunk with anyone, Spike." She said.

"Considerate of my feelings, Red? How you."

"You're welcome. Goodnight guys."

"Night." They all said and broke off to go into their rooms.

Willow pulled Buffy into their room, and switched on the light. The Slayer gasped. A table, chairs, TV, minibar, and there was a private balcony. As they walked into the adjoining area, the bedroom, there was a king size bed, and a set of French doors that led into yet another room.

Inside there was another TV, an already decorated Christmas tree, and a menorah in the center of a table. Also a fridge and wetbar.

"Oh my God."

"I wasn't sure they'd get everything right, but it looks like they did."

"Whoa. This is.this is.incredible."

"Enjoy it."

"Thank you."

"You deserve to live in luxury for a little while."

Buffy kissed her. "Come on. A good snuggle always helps me sleep, and the bed is calling to me."

Before Willow could respond, she was already being carried off.

***

Angel stood out on his room's balcony, looking out at the night sky. He knew Kate was watching him before he turned around. She was wearing an oversized T-shirt with Mickey Mouse's face on it.

"That's definitely appropriate."

"I bought it in the gift shop while we were getting checked in. I don't think any one realized I slipped away."

"I did."

"Watching me?"

"It's hard not to."

She smiled. "Dawn's coming in a few hours. Time for all good mysterious, handsome men to sleep."

"Forgot vampire."

"Did I? Well, we all have different diets." He laughed quietly. "It really scares you doesn't it? Even though you know the risk is gone?"

"You mean loving someone? I hurt Buffy that way, and it took me a long time to come to grips with it. I don't want to the same thing to you."

"You can't. Isn't that the whole point? Your soul isn't a curse. At least not anymore. I'm taking a risk here too. And it's not loving a vampire. It's loving anybody. If I can do it, so can you."

"You love me?"

"Why's that come as a shock to you? I'm here aren't I?" She reached for his hand. "The real question is, are you?"

He looked at her outstretched hand for a few moments and then took it. "Yes."

"I would've stayed out here until you gave in."

"I don't doubt that."

"Or I would have kicked your ass."

"I don't doubt that either. But I know there's a regulation against the use of excessive force."

"Good thing I'm off-duty."

They walked inside.

***

Spike wasn't tired at all. He through his shoes off, opened the wet bar, and was sitting on the bed enjoying being drunk. He took a swig of the wine, and turned on the TV.

"Now this where I belong. Not in a damn crypt, with rats the size of dogs. I'm gonna get rid of the whole creature of night thing when I get back. Maybe get Giles to give me his place. God knows he spends enough time shagging.yeah that's it.

"High society for me. All the way. Thanks Mickey!" He laughed hysterically and in about fifteen minutes, he was passed out.

"I have misplaced my pants." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You know what the secret of life is?"
"Your finger?"
"One thing. Just one thing."
"That's great, but what's the one thing?"
"That's what you gotta figure out."
(Jack Palance, Billy Crystal, City Slickers)

"I heard your heartbeat." (Buffy Summers, to Angel, ANGEL)