FIC: Reflections

Hey.

Fic here. The song is Dave Matthews' "Pig". Enjoy.

REFLECTIONS

"It was rough, wasn't it?" Buffy asked Willow in the dorm room.

"Yeah, it was."

"But it comes with the job. You know that."

"You shouldn't have had to."

"I hate it as much as you do. Well, probably. I've been thinking a lot lately. About how lucky I've been."

"You have some weird definitions for things."

"Hey! I am. Everything I've had to go through, and I could always come back to you. I got you."

"It took us too long. It's really my fault."

"Don't dwell, Will. I know it took us awhile. Looking back, hindsight really is a beautiful thing, when I sat next to you on that bench the first day, and you asked me to move, I didn't want to."

"I didn't want to either." Willow smiled.

"I wanted to hug you and never let you go. You just seemed so vulnerable, you know? And I wanted to show you that you didn't need to be."

"You have."

"By sticking you in the middle of."

"It was my choice. "

"Like clockwork. Or at least I hope I know you as well as I think I do."

"Nobody else knows."

"Remember when we finally got our act together? Wow, it's been a year, hasn't it? Best year of my life."

"Mine too."

"I was coming back from patrol."

"And I was in the dorm."

***

Buffy listened outside the door, as Willow and Tara talked inside.

"Tara, I like you.really."

"What is it then? I rally like you Willow. You're nice and you're really good at magick."

"I'm not. I'm small potatoes. Or even small potato chips."

Tara chuckled. "And you make me laugh. So if you don't think you're that good, and I don't think I'm that good, why can't we learn together?"

"But we are already. Why do we have to -"

"Oh." Tara looked down at the ground. "I thought you were.I'm stupid."

"You're not stupid."

"Then what? You are or you aren't?"

"I am.kinda."

"Kinda. Gay or not?"

Outside, Buffy gasped. And leaned in closer.

"There's somebody else."

"You should really let him go. He left you."

"I know. It's not him."

"Then.oh. Does she know?"

"No."

"You should tell her. If you really love her that much."

"More than my life."

"Wow. Guess I can't compete with that."

"Friends?"

"Wicca partners too?"

"You bet."

They hugged, and Tara whispered to her. "Tell her. Let her love you."

"What if she -"

Buffy leaned so hard against the door, that the hinges broke, and she and the door fell into the room. "Whoops." She smiled sheepishly.

Tara carefully stepped over her, and out of the room. Willow walked over to her friend, and helped her up.

"Are you okay?"

"They really don't make doors like they used to."

"Well.maybe if you didn't break them.while.while.eavesdropping."

"Sorry.I just came back and I heard you.and."

"You want me to go away."

"No. Get ready for a cheesy romantic line. I want you to let me love you."

"Are you serious?"

"As heart attack."

***

"That's when you said."

"Your heart won't be attacked anymore. I'll protect it." They said together, laughing.

"So corny."

"I loved it. And everything was better for both of us after that."

"Until now."

"Until now."

"I shoulda been there, Buffy."

"Whatever happened."

"You wouldn't have let me. But you should have told me."

"At least you're alive. I hope."

Willow started to cry. "But I don't wanna be."

"Don't go all suicidal on me. Please. I couldn't stand it if you did that to yourself."

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Go find happiness. Never lose that. It's why I love you."

Willow cried harder. "It's not right."

"Listen to this, please.

Buffy went over to the CD player and started a song.

(Isn't it strange
How we move our lives for another day
Like skipping a beat
What if a great wave should wash us all away)

(Just thinking out loud
Don't mean to dwell on this dying thing
But looking at blood
It's alive right now)

(Deep and sweet within
Pouring through our veins
Intoxicate moving wine to tears
Drinking it deep)

(Then an evening spent dancing
It's you and me
This love will open our world
From the dark side we can see a glow of something bright)

(There's much more than we see here
Don't burn the day away)

(Is this not enough
This blessed sip of life
Is it not enough
Staring down at the ground)

(Oh then complain and pray
more from above
Greedy little pig
Stop just watch your world trickle away)

(Oh it's your problem now
It'll all be dead and gone in
a few short years
Just love will open our eyes
Just love will put the hope in our minds)

(Much more than we could ever know
Don't burn the day away)

(Come sister
my brother
Shake up your bones shake up your feet
I'm saying open up
And let the rain come pouring in)

(Wash out this tired notion
That the best is yet to come
But while you're dancing on the ground
Don't think of when you're gone)

(Love! love!? what more is there?
We need the light of love in here
Don't beat your head
Dry your eyes)

(Let the love in there
There are bad times
But that's ok
Just look for love in it
Don't burn the day away)

(Look
Here are we
On this starry night staring into space
And I must say
I feel as small as dust)

(Lying down here
What point could there be troubling
Head down wondering what will
become of me
Why concern we cannot see)

(But no reason to abandon it
Time is short but that's all right
Maybe I'll go in the middle of the night)

(Take your hands from your eyes, my love
Everything must end some time
Don't burn the day away)

(Come sister
My brother
Shake up your bones shake up your feet
I'm saying open up)

(And let the rain come flooding in
Wash out this tired notion
That the best is yet to come
But while you're dancing on the ground)

(Don't think of when you're gone
Love! love!? what more is there?
We need the light of love in here)

(Don't beat your head
Dry your eyes
Let the love in there
There are bad times)

(But that's ok
Just look for love in it)

"Will you do that for me?"

"If that's what you want, then I'll do it."

"I'll always watch your back, and I'll always, always love you."

"I.I'll never stop."

"See you around?"

The tape ended, and Willow got off the bed and took it out of the VCR. She put it in its jacket, and stuck it under her pillow. She laid back down, and started to laugh.

"Oh Buffy.whatever heaven you're going to, you're going to give them all a run for their money. You better save me a space."

"I have misplaced my pants." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You know what the secret of life is?"
"Your finger?"
"One thing. Just one thing."
"That's great, but what's the one thing?"
"That's what you gotta figure out."
(Jack Palance, Billy Crystal, City Slickers)

"I heard your heartbeat." (Buffy Summers, to Angel, ANGEL)