--- "A.M. Glass" <glasswrks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: "A.M. Glass" <glasswrks@xxxxxxxxx>

Title: "Why My Heart Aches."
Author: Angela
E-mail: glasswrks@xxxxxxxxx
Copyright: February 15, 2000
Rating: 'PG'
Disclaimer: Joss owns the characters from "Buffy The
Vampire Slayer" and all background information. No
copyright infringement is intended or inferred. The
story is mine.
Author's Note: This would be the fourth story in
what
I can now call a series. You must have read the
others, "Heart Ache" "Another Heart Ache" and "Yet
Another Heart Ache", to follow the story line. Just
how long will the series be is up in the air at the
moment.
Thanks: To those of you who have told me how much
they
have liked the previous stories. I hope I won't
disappoint you with this one. This has not been
beta'd
only spell checked using Microsoft Word '97.

***
Previously:

Tara walked alongside Willow who was lost in
thought,
more than once she had to stop her…

'What are we to each other?' she wondered.

Were they involved? Sure they had kissed; the memory
made her smile. They had done a little more than
kiss
that one time… but did that mean she could she call
Willow her girlfriend? Had they reached that far? It
was confusing, Tara hoped that Willow might think
about her that way. Lover? Ooh, that was a huge
decision that they'd both have to talk about,
eventually. Hopefully?

'Buffy where are you. Please come back, I need you…
here,' Willow silently pleaded.

***

A few days later:

The gray clouds drifted in the sky, interspersed
with
pink underneath, giving a somewhat dark cotton candy
appearance.

They moved across the sky as a steady breeze
accompanied them, rushing them along.

Traffic was heavy, it always was. Cars steadily made
their way on the street, lights cutting into the
impending darkness.

A passing car breaks the silence as a commercial
blears from its speakers.

"….no money down…"

People walk on the sidewalks at a steady pace,
either
heading for the relative safety of their cars or
heading home.

If you looked overhead, you might possibly see an
airplane cutting through the darkening clouds.

You can smell the approaching rain in the air.

She noticed all of this in a five-minute time span.

'It's getting colder,' she thought, as she hugged
herself. Once more she wondered what she was doing
out
here, standing in the shadows, careful not to be
seen.

She thinks quietly, glancing quickly in the sky as a
single engine plane announces its presence to anyone
who would care.

The orange-yellow tinted street lights come on,
throwing its illumination, but no warmth her way.

She steps back, once again blending with the
shadows.

She cups her hands in front of her mouth and slowly
blows false warmth into them. False, because once
she
stops, her hands will once again remind her of the
cold.

She begins to rub her hands on her pant legs,
creating
a slight friction that warms the palms of her hands
more than anything else.

'A few more minutes, then I'm leaving,' she tells
herself as she waits patiently.

Her head jerks up as she hears voice approaching her
hiding place.

"Um… I'm not sure, why?"

"I was wondering if you might want to…"

That was all she was able to hear. She stepped out
of
the shadows and watched as the two young women
walked
together, their shoulders touching briefly.

"Will," she whispered.

Buffy knew that she had to do something, quickly.
Shaking her head, she stared at the retreating
figures
until they had left her sight.

She and Spike had finally come to an understanding;
she stayed and he shut up. Of course fighting a
couple
of demons helped his disposition immensely.

She had spoken with Giles as she said she would. She
loved him dearly, but she couldn't burden him with
the
situation she found herself in. She would have to
deal
with it.

She began her trek back to Spikes', taking her time
and she thought about things she had discovered.

She knew the feelings that coursed through her body,
she recognized them after much soul-searching.

Love.

She was in love with Willow.

She begrudged each moment Willow spent with Tara.
She
wasn't at all certain how far they had gone and
could
only hope that the relationship was still in its
infancy.

The thought of Tara holding… touching… *kissing*
Willow made her blood boil. She knew she had to calm
down, she couldn't afford to alienate her friend.

But how could she get Willow to choose her instead
of
Tara.

Perhaps she could find something out about the other
teenager.

'Will, I'm only trying to help,' she could already
hear herself saying.

She would be the one who would comfort, her
shoulders
would be the one used to lean on.

"I can't do that, not to Will," she muttered to
herself as she neared Spike's home. "I'll have to
show
her, prove it to her," she said.

***

"Are you sure?" Tara asked as they neared her dorm
room.

"Yeah, I'm sure. I brought it up, and I wouldn't
bring it up unless I was sure," Willow replied.

"Okay."

Tara opened the door and allowed Willow to enter
first, looking down the hall; she had had the oddest
feeling that someone had been watching them earlier,
prior to shutting her door behind her.

TBC