A musing

Hey people.

I've been thinking about Buffy and Willow while trying to figure out what I'm going to do for Chapter 6.

More specifically, I've been wondering why we all write them the way we do. To me, and to most people on this list, Willow is the only person that would make Buffy happy without major consequences, and vice versa. (And when I say consequences I mean on the level with Angel turning evil or Oz being a werewolf. 'Coming out' is a different thing all together)

We know they're friendship is a big part, they've been through a lot, their confidantes, there's been a couple 'I love you's'...

Their the only two people we can see in a relationship. But why? It's not like we're given much to work with from the show. We hardly see the two of them having fun, or having a regular conversation. Their talks usually involve crying or talking about an evil thing they have to vanquish.

So how do we do it? I don't know about the rest of you, but I can tell if a scene feels wrong to me. I don't know how, I just do. But how? And did you notice that most of the authors interpretations of Buffy and Willow involved are pretty damn similar? Is it because we all watch too much Buffy and can write the characters with our eyes closed?

I don't know, but it's just something I've been thinking about. There's two words that I can use to describe the two of them together: Cute and Happy. Plain and simple. Well let's go down the list of possible other relationships shall we?:

Buffy/Faith: If Faith ever did let Buffy in, there would be so much baggage on both their parts that it would be depressing. There's sexual energy there, but Faith could never make Buffy happy.

Buffy/Spike: We've seen it. There's sexual stuff there too, which was disguised as love, but they still hated each other.

Buffy/Cordelia: Given Cordy's current growth, I can't rule this off outright, but I can't visualize it either. They've got they're own agendas, and let's face it, they were never really friends.

Buffy/Giles: Giles is a father figure. I just can't see it. I don't want to either.

Buffy/Xander: Xander is firmly in guy-friend role. No, can't see it. The way Kimber wrote it I could see, but nothing long term.

Now Willow: I'm not going to even go through a list. Oz or Buffy are the only people I'd ever consider. She hates Faith, the Xander thing fell through...maybe, given the right circumstances(again b/c of Kimber) Cordy. But are they really that close?

Sorry that went on so long :-) Just thinking, and thought I'd share. I'll go.

"I have misplaced my pants." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You know what the secret of life is?"
"Your finger?"
"One thing. Just one thing."
"That's great, but what's the one thing?"
"That's what you gotta figure out."
(Jack Palance, Billy Crystal, City Slickers)

"I heard your heartbeat." (Buffy Summers, to Angel, ANGEL)