Re: A musing

Time to dodge out of lurk mode, I feel.

I'm going to admit that I'm pretty much a random shipper in Buffydom, if that makes any sense at all. There are some couplings I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, but there are some I really like, and Buffy/Willow just appealed to me the moment I stumbled onto the website (all hail the great Sonja-Marie).

Their the only two people we can see in a >relationship. But why? It's not like we're >given much to work with from the show. We >hardly see the two of them having fun, or >having a regular conversation. Their talks >usually involve crying or talking about an >evil thing they have to vanquish.

For me, they're not the only ones I could happily see in a relationship. But I'm reluctant to get into that on a Buffy/Willow list. Don't want to betray the cause. ;)

I always felt that the point of fanfiction in general was to fill in the gaps surrounding the scenes, specifically the relationships. My first fandom was SW, and my first non-canon shipping was Obi/Qui (all hail M/A...), but the Buffyverse rapidly took over because it has so many more possibilities.

The fact that Buffy and Willow hardly have any screen time anymore is probably one of the main reasons why we do ship them. If they were together all the time it might be harder to see subtext, because their time together would no longer be as significant. I could be wrong about that though.

And did you notice that most of the authors >interpretations of Buffy and Willow involved >are pretty damn similar? Is it because we all >watch too much Buffy and can write the >characters with our eyes closed?

Yup. I think that, after three and a half seasons, we know the characters pretty well. And everyone reads everyone else's work; after a while, one view of B/W will develop that will be followed by everyone who writes it, whether conciously or subconciously. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or not.

The only characters I can't see Willow with are Faith and Cordelia, and I loathe Xander/Willow because it's been done to death. Buffy has far less possibilities, IMHO: Willow is a much more complex character. B/F is fun, B/S more so, but B/W is satisfying in a way the others aren't. Willow has less baggage than Angel, is less annoyingly perfect than Riley, and understands Buffy in a way none of the rest of them do.

Anyway, I think that's quite enough rambling from me. Any ruffled feathers? Hope not.
Dodging back into lurk mode,
athaclena.

---
What's the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can't blow something up?

chickclick.com
http://www.chickclick.com
girl sites that don't fake it.
http://www.chickmail.com