FIC: The Rocky Road Chapter 4: Saying Without Speaking (5/?)

Title: The Rocky Road Chapter 4: Saying Without Speaking (5/?)
Author: Kimber (kacoe@xxxxxxx)
Disclaimer: All BTVS characters belong to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy.
else, e-mail me please.
Author's Notes: The more feedback I get the more fic I write. . .nuff said.
Thoughts are enclosed in < >
Flashback are enclosed in <<<< >>>>
------------

Oh and every time I'm close to you
there's too much I can't say
and you just walk away
And I forgot
to tell you I love you
and the night's too long and cold here
without you
I grieve in my condition
for I cannot find the words to say
I need you so
I Love You by Sarah McLachlan

Shed just dusted the last of the late risers and was headed back for home when she
stopped short. I know youre there.

He waited a moment then jumped down from the tree he was sitting in. No so stealthy guy
anymore. Ill have to work on that.

What were you doing up there, Xand?

Just keepin my eye on ya. He shrugged and offered a slight grin.

She scrunched her eyebrows. Now one more time with feeling. She beckoned him to follow
her. Come on. Whats on your mind?

He sighed and was lost in thought for a moment before he answered. Is. . well, is
everything okay? Between you and Will I mean.

Why do you ask?

I sensed some tension the night I came home and even more when we were researching.

She sighed and stopped walking. Were having a hard time adjusting. Shes been away for
a while and. . .

Feed me anything Buff, you know Ill take it. . .but dont feed me that line of
bullshit. She gave him a look of shock, but he continued. Everything went back to
normal when she came for a visit during her freshman year at Oxford. We were the Scoobs
all over again the minute she walked through the door. Now things are, well, different.

Its complicated. She shrugged and continued walking.

He stood there then fell back into step with her. Do you love her?

Of course I do, shes one of my best friends.

He grabbed her arm. You know what I mean, Buffy. Dont play dumb with me.

Xander let go. What the hell is up with you?

Dont be evasive girl with me. You love her, she loves you, whats the problem?

She shook her head. Its not that simple.

Did she find out about. . .

God no Xander! Not if I ever want her to speak to me again. What am I supposed to say
to her? Gee Will, Xander and I got all cuddly when you were at Oxford because I didnt
want to admit I was in love with you. Her eyes widened and her hand covered her mouth.

I knew, Ive always known.

She shook her head. No. I didnt tell anyone. I never. . .

Let me tell you something, Buffy. Ive been on the road more often than not in the past
five years. The things Ive seen, well, I wouldnt wish it on anyone. Ive slept in rat
infested shacks and roach motels and Ive been beaten to within an inch of my life too
many times to count. You know what kept me going? You. You and Will. You guys were my
lifeline out there. I kept on thinking, how would Buffy get out of this? or if I was
as smart as Will, what would she do?. And you know what I came up with? Youd go to her
for advice and shed do the same. Ive known Willow all my life and I know when she loves
someone with all her heart, I can tell. . .unless of course its me then Im Blindboy.
The fact of the matter is that no matter how hard I tried, I could never be to you what
she is and I could never be to her what you are.

She put her hand on his. Xander, what happened to you out there?

He looked down for a moment, lost in thought. <Everything happened to me, Buff.
Everything, too much and not enough.> It doesnt matter. Not now. He lifted his head
and suddenly he was like the old Xander again. Go to her Buffy. Fix things before its
too late. She loves you I can see it in her eyes. She never even looked at Oz like that,
or me. What ever it is your punishing yourself for, just stop. Its not worth it. I
know how you can get so just dont. The only thing you have to do is let her love you.
He kissed her forehead and touched her cheek for a moment. Its not too late. Night
roomie. And he walked off into the night. <God knows its too late for me.>

--------

She let herself into the house quietly so as not to disturb the sleeping form she knew
would be on the couch. The talk with Xander really had her shook up.

Buffy? A sleepy voice called from the couch.

Yeah, Will.

How was patrol? She sat up and wiped the sleep from her eyes.

Piece of cake. I ran into Xander. She sat down next to the redhead.

Yeah? How is he? I made him promise hed stop in for some quality Oreo cookies and
milk time but he hasnt yet.

Hes good, I guess. Hes being, I dont know.

Mystery guy?

Yeah. Its like hes not saying everything he wants to say. I got a lot out of him
tonight. Apparently he had it really rough these past few years while traveling. He
never let on in his letters. I wonder why?

Willow shrugged. Im not sure. Theres something missing in his eyes. He always looks
so tortured. Reminds me of Angel.

Buffy nodded. Yeah. Hes still perceptive though. He knows theres something off.
Between us I mean.

Something is off between us. . .you cant sleep on the couch forever you know. Buffy
got up and began to walk away only to be stopped by Willow grabbing her arm. Hey. Talk
to me.

She couldnt face her, couldnt look at her. Things had gotten better, but not really.
Will, can we just not? Im too tired to fight and I need a shower.

Who said anything about fighting? She rose from the couch and put her hands around the
Slayers waist. Thats the last thing I wanna do. Ive been home for almost three days
and we havent even slept in the same bed.

I fell asleep

Watching TV, I know. Willow nuzzled her neck and placed a kiss there. Ive missed
you. YOU you. Know what I mean?

Buffy sighed in her arms. Will. . .

Shh, not now. I dont wanna talk. She turned her around so they were face to face.
She leaned in to kiss her, but Buffy turned her head and Willow kissed her cheek. Buffy,
what are you so afraid of?

I dont know, Will. She closed her eyes to possibly keep the tears from coming. When
you left it was like, God, it was like when Angel left but worse in a lot of ways. She
pulled from the redheads embrace and stepped a few paces away. All I could think was
what if she doesnt come back? What if she meets someone there and forgets all about me?
What if Im not good enough anymore? She turned to face her now. And Xander? He left
too, Will. He packed up his things and left me a note and walked out of my life. He
didnt even say goodbye. She began to pace. We brought you to the heli-port so you
could go to LAX and go back to England. I went on patrol, he went home and packed. I
stayed downstairs with my mom that night so I never even knew until the next morning.

Buffy. . .

So you see Will? You left, Xander left. . .and now your both back. Whos to say your
not gonna leave again? She stopped and leaned against the wall, bringing her arms around
herself.

Willow approached her. Im here to say it. As much as I can mean it, I can say that Im
not gonna leave you. I cant promise that Giles wont send me on an assignment that you
cant go on, or that my parents are gonna suddenly call me to come visit them, but. .
She wrapped her arms around the girl in front of her. I can promise you that Id hate
the idea of being away from you again. Buffy, I never WANT to leave you again. If I have
any control over my life for the rest of it, Id steer it towards yours and never let go.
So this way its our life, not just yours or mine. Ours.

She swallowed the tears down. I want to believe you Will. . .

If you dont believe my words, then let me prove it to you with actions. She took her
hand and led her to the bedroom. Willow softly closed the door and lit a few candles that
were scattered around the room.

Buffy stood at the foot of the bed, their bed, feeling like a scared teenager again. In
truth it had been two years since that amazing night in Spikes attic. Theyd had two
nights just like it since then. Once on Buffys birthday and on the night before Willow
went back to Oxford. Sex hadnt been important to them, truth be told, theyd achieved a
greater and more lasting bond by getting to know each other inside and out. Nothing was
more intimate than looking in your lovers eyes, seeing a small change there and knowing
exactly what it was and how to fix it. It was an almost spiritual experience to know
someone that well.

Willow approached her from behind. Slowly, she slipped the sweater Buffy was wearing off
her shoulders. She laid it on the bed and kissed her neck. I never want to leave you
again. <I love you Buffy. You have to believe me.>

Buffy turned and gazed into her eyes. I couldnt take it if you. . . She was cut off
by a kiss. <I love you Will. But Im scared.> She wrapped her arms around Willows
waist.

She froze and opened her eyes.

Will? What is it? <Oh, God. . .Ive done something wrong.>

She shook her head. No you havent. She whispered.

It was Buffys turn to freeze. But I didnt. .

Kiss me.

Will, I dont. underst . .

Just do it. Trust me.

Buffy leaned in and kissed her again. The kiss grew in intensity when Willow opened her
mouth to ask for more. Buffy entwined her tongue with Willows and both girls breathing
increased. <God, Will. . .torture to be away from you for so long.>

Willow pulled away and gasped. I can hear your thoughts.

No. Its impossible.

You just said that it was torture to be away from me so long.

Oh. She blushed a moment but then became concerned. What does this mean? Why cant I
hear what your thinking?

I dont know, but I know someone who might. She sighed in resignation. This wasn't
exactly the night she had planned.

Buffy nodded and put her sweater back on. Giles.

----------------

--
http://www.Kimbers-Corner.net

"Sure Willow is bi! And she's getting it on with a man! To all you fanboys out there:
Damn, I am an *evil bastard* ain't I?"
Joss Whedon, Creator BTVS

". . .and so far, well, the only thing that I know she likes is you."
Riley to Willow, 'Initiative'

"It's a good fight, Buffy, and I want in."
"I kinda love you."
Buffy and Willow, 'Choices'

"I. . .I just kinda like having something that's just . . You know, mine."
"I am, you know. . .yours."
Willow and Tara, 'Who Are You?'