FIC: Pain of the Past

Hey.

My fourth installment to my Faith series here. Enjoy.

PAIN OF THE PAST (OR - ALL MEN ARE BEASTS)

Faith stood in the middle of the park. It was bright, sunny, and peaceful. She saw Xander, Willow and Giles sitting over at a picnic table. They were calling her over, and she saw Buffy come up to her. The blonde reached for her hand.

"Come on, we have plenty of food. Don't tell me you're not hungry."

"I'm coming. Just thinking."

"About?"

"How long this'll last."

"We'll make it last. I've got your back." Buffy started to look around. Something wasn't right. Faith felt it too. "Hurry."

The sky changed. Over by the gang, the sun shined brightly. Past where they stood, the sky had darkened. They were in the middle. The two slayers tried to go back to their friends, but they couldn't move. Out of the darkness, a figure emerged.

"Faith, I told you never to leave me. Now look what you've gone and done. You have to do the right thing, my dear. I can't wait forever." The Mayor said.

"I am doing the right thing."

"I was hoping you wouldn't say that." Buffy had had enough. She rushed over to the dark side of the park, ready to attack him.

"Buffy, no!"

The Mayor changed forms. A large snake was in his place. Also out of the darkness, came Spike, who held Buffy still for the hungry beast. Faith ran to try and save her, but as soon as she got close enough, Spike released Buffy, and threw her back into the light.

Buffy screamed to her. "Faith! Get out!" She couldn't help her now.

Faith struggled, as the Mayor-Snake dipped down, his jaws opened wide.

"You belong here, Faith. Stay with us."

"No!"

"NO!"

Two slayers screamed simultaneously, though both at different places. At Giles' house, Faith's scream awoke Giles, who was very startled. In the dorm, it awoke Willow, who was instantly at her friend's side.

***

"You're sure you're all right?" Giles asked Faith some fifteen minutes later.

She sat at the table, picking at a scone. "Just a dream. Nothing."

"Possibly, but in my experience, a slayer's dreams are more often than not, prophetic."

"Nah, I think it's more my own personal demons."

"You say that so casually." He came from the kitchen carrying a kettle. "Tea?"

"It's a gift. I'll pass."

"I'm here to listen if you should ever need it."

"And major appreciation for that." Faith got up, and walked over to the stereo. "Mind?"

"Nothing too mind numbing?"

"Reforming Slayer's honor."

She turned on the power, and a song was just beginning. She waited to see what it was.

(When you look into a mirror
Do you like what's looking at you
Now that you've seen your true reflections
What on earth are you gonna do

(Find some inspiration
It's down deep inside of you
Amend your situation
Your whole life is ahead of you
Your whole life is ahead of you

(Remember the time you hung out with the boys now
Remember the things you used to say
I thought by now you'd be the president
But after all that was yesterday

(You've had time to go out in the world now
But you chose to run away
People ask you what your doin' now
You don't even know what to say

(You think life is like a movie
Where it all works out in the end
I think life is like a dessert
Where does it go where does it begin

(When you look into a mirror
Do you like what's looking at you
Now that you've seen your true reflections
What on earth are you gonna do

(Find some inspiration
It's down deep inside of you)

She just stood still after it was over. How come everything just seemed to connect sometimes? The dream…and now this. Did she like what she saw? She had the inspiration, but was her reflection changing? Was she changing? Running her hands through her hair, she closed her eyes, then turned off the stereo, and faced Giles.

"Too early for music, don'tcha think?"

***

The college gym had become the slayers' training spot. They were able to schedule to have an hour a day, so no one would interrupt them. Well, everyone except the gang, and its new member, who were just observing and speaking amongst themselves. Tara, Willow, and Xander.

Buffy and Faith were sparring with staffs. Their bows clashed.

"Where's the Bo', B?" Faith asked her.

"You really have to learn my whole name, cause that just sounded really funny." She brought the staff to a vertical position, and Faith matched it. "Actually, if you make the vamps fall over cause they're laughing hysterically, that could be a bonus."

"So are you gonna answer my question sometime in the next millennium or what?"

"He's -" Faith tried to sweep her legs, but Buffy jumped up, missing it. "Teaching."

Faith stopped abruptly, and Buffy was able to knock the staff out of her hands.

"A teacher?"

"He was my old Psych professor's TA. He has to take over until they get a replacement."

"How'd she bite it?"

"She's Adam's Dr. Frankenstein."

"Damn. Harsh. Wait, is that the name of the monster or the guy?"

"I…don't know. Anyway, that's what you get for messing with the dark, I guess."

They both thought it was a good idea to stop. They both knew they had shared the dream, though they didn't say much about it. Now wasn't the time anyway, because they were both still a little freaked by it.

"It's the name of the guy who made him," Xander said, "and is the sweatfest over?"

"'Fraid so, Xand."

"There you are!" Anya said loudly, entering the gym.

"Just in time too." Faith smirked.

***

It was the nightly patrol. This time they were patrolling campus, thinking that's where Adam would stick close to. This time, Willow and Tara were with them, walking a few feet behind. Xander was with Anya, apparently "making up for lost time", and they didn't want to go there. Not even Faith.

"You really wanna be out here?" Willow asked Tara.

"You talk about it all the time. If this is something you do, I wanna see...you know, be with you." Tara realized how that last part sounded. "Be with you when you do this." She looked away, trying not to hyperventilate.

Willow smiled. "I like that you want to, really, but it's dangerous."

"It's not that safe for you either, is it?"

"Well…yeah. But Buffy watches out for me. That and I use my resolve face till she caves."

"I heard that." Buffy called back.

"And now I have someone to watch over. I don't wanna see you hurt." Willow whispered, grabbing Tara's hand. "We'll be careful, and I won't let you be."

"I know. I trust you."

***

Faith looked back at the two girls. "There's not many people who can border 'cutesy' and the 'get a room' phase as well as they can. Not that I'd know much about how relationship phases work, but - "

Buffy had been lost in thought, absentmindedly twirling a stake. "Hmmm? What are you talking about?"

"You mean you don't…? Nothing."

"Oh. So…the dream."

"Definitely a bitch."

"It had an unpleasant quality to it, yeah. Do you think that's what we're both scared of?"

"Huh?"

"You know. Me not being able to save you from something and you not…being able to save yourself? I mean, I don't think it was prophecy-related. Because of what happened with Spike he's been on our minds, and…"

"Dream psychology and slaying really don't mix, B." Buffy looked down at the ground. Faith cursed under her breath. "Hey, you know I'm not exactly the 'lay on a couch, poor out my feelings' type of girl." 'Or am I and I just don't know it?'

"Yeah. But I had the dream too, and I just thought that we could try and figure it out. Leaving things unsettled isn't my style."

"I…when we're done…" Faith trailed off, her eyes widening. "You can tell me why you totally played down this thing."

"What thing…damn."

They stared at Adam, and he stared right back.

***

Buffy risked a glance back at them, and Faith's look was a little more forceful.

"What's that?" Tara asked, pointing up ahead.

"Something we run away from." Willow said.

"But -"

"This is also what I do. I go get help."

"Who?"

"Giles, or Xander, or Riley…just come on."

***

"I wore him out. I think it was the tying to the bedpost." Anya said.

She and Xander had come to Giles house. She was currently explaining to Giles the details of their latest "go in the hay". Xander was sitting on the steps, his head in his hands. Giles wasn't fairing much better.

"Why do you insist on always coming here directly after…God, I can't say it." Giles said.

"You mean after the orgasms?"

Giles rubbed his eyes. "Forget it. Please."

"Well I have to tell somebody. The whole point of making somebody have good orgasms is to make others jealous."

"Jealous? I'm rather revolted actually. Most humans do not go into detail about their sexual exploits. Normally, they light a cigarette and keep things to themselves."

"Where's the fun in that? And cigarettes aren't good for health."

"And you're not good for mine." Giles muttered. He looked over at Xander, trying to understand why the boy was just satisfied…he stopped that train of thought immediately.

"I don't think he wants us here. We should leave."

Xander jumped up off the steps. "Oh thank God."

Just then, the front door opened, and Tara and Willow came bursting in. They were both out of breath.

"Good…you're here…" Willow panted.

"Willow, what is it?"

"Buffy…Faith…went…Riley's…not there…campus…bad…Adam…"

"Buffy and Faith are on campus and they're in trouble. Adam's there." Tara cleared up.

Willow nodded quickly. Xander ran to the chest of weapons, and pulled out the blaster.

"Stay here." Giles told the three girls.

"We can do a protection spell." Tara offered.

"Anything that might help is a good idea."

Anya went up to Xander and kissed him quickly, and then he and Giles were out the door.

***

Buffy and Faith circled Adam cautiously. He had not made a move, but was merely watching them. Studying them. Normally Faith would rush in and attack, but most bad guys weren't as calm as he seemed to be. She couldn't predict what he was going to do, and her Slayer "sixth sense" was telling her to be cautious. Buffy was glad Faith was following it for once.

"So, Adam, where's your flunkies?" Buffy asked.

"Flunkies?" He appeared to think a second. "Ah. The vampires. I have no desire to waste a resource. You would easily end their existence, would you not?"

"Yep. Can see you're still big on the learning and science experiments."

He appeared to think once more. "Yes. Buffy Anne Summers. You possess strength that others of your species do not. Enemy of vampires. A Slayer. An intriguing being."

"That's me. Have you met Faith? We're in the same business."

"Whoever did the rush job on you has to go back to the drawing board." Faith said.

"A sarcastic remark meant to increase anger. I am unaffected."

"But I try so hard."

"I was informed of your presence. My learning process is nearly complete. But I must know something. A question plagues me."

"What's that?"

"Faith Adams. Eighteen human years. Conceived in Boston by Jack and Christine." Faith paled, and Buffy just held her breath.

"Father arrested for spousal abuse the following year and convicted in conjunction with possession of narcotics.

"At age five police were called to your residence for a domestic disturbance. You were found in the corner, shattered alcoholic containers surrounding you, facial lacerations and cigarette burns on your forearm.

"Taken to a hospital, several hours later, doctors were shocked to learn that all your wounds had healed. Mother agreed to attend meetings and seek counseling in order to retain custody.

"A year later your father was released on probation and forced to go to a drug treatment center. He returned home and proceeded to strangle your mother terminating her life. Police arrived just before your father did the same to you."

Faith was shaking, and couldn't move. Buffy knew she had to make some kind of move. This was too much.

"You were placed in an orphanage. Caretakers noted that you were frightened, sometimes hostile. At the age of fourteen you had tried to run away several times, succeeding temporarily, for months at a time. Authorities often found you in bars or street corners, offering yourself.

"They repeatedly returned you, despite your attempts to stay away. They did not recommend you for a foster home, or adoption. Psychologists recorded deep emotional scarring, and they couldn't stop you from trying to take your own life.

"At fifteen, despite objections, a woman chose to adopt you, and strangely, there is no more record of your existence after that point."

"That woman was my watcher, you bastard." Faith said.

"Bastard? Hmm…fatherless son. That's an appropriate description."

Buffy was a few feet behind him.

"What's your question?" Faith asked.

"I know all about you, yet I can't understand the reason you continue to live. Is it not rather pointless?" Faith was clenching her fists. "My question upsets you? Interesting."

Buffy ran, and jumped on his back, grabbing around his neck area. Faith's attention had been focused on Adam, so she had not seen where Buffy went. Adam flung her off, and she hit a tree.

"Buffy! No!"

Faith charged him and he grabbed her easily by the neck.

"Faith! Get -" Buffy yelled, and tried to run to help, but something pulled her back.

"Your life has been full of negative emotion. Humans, I've learned, struggle with such feelings. Losses, grief, pain. The right thing to do would be to end it. Would you like me to?"

Faith struggled, her legs kicking wildly. "I'm doing the right thing. I don't need the easy way out."

"What do you need?" Adam squeezed harder. "Air? Friendship? Lov -"

***

Adam was cut off, as he felt an electrical blast hit him from behind. He dropped Faith, who was gasping for air. Seemingly out of nowhere, a team of commandos in full gear came out of the shadows, and surrounded him. Buffy ran in, and pulled Faith out quickly.

All the men aimed at him, firing, but except for being mildly jolted, he continued to walk. As he reached a man standing in his way, he released a skewer from his arm, which went directly through the man's heart.

"Fall back!" One of them yelled.

They broke out of their containment formation, and Adam continued to walk.

"I can learn no more here." He said.

One of the men waved his hand, and four commandos disappeared, silently following Adam. Three others picked up their dead friend, and vanished into the darkness as well. All except one, who rushed over to Buffy and Faith. He took off his facemask.

It was Riley, and as soon as Faith saw that it was him, she bounced up and grabbed him by the shirt.

"How. Did. He. Know." She said, stated each word slowly, and angrily.

"Professor Walsh must have downloaded files into his brain."

"But you didn't know about slayers until me." Buffy said.

"No, we didn't. The Initiative has files on anyone who's ever been in Sunnydale. No matter who it is. It's policy handed down by the higher ups."

Faith let go of his uniform, but still glared at him.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Buffy asked.

"I wasn't sure if...not until I saw."

"Like hell." Faith said.

"How'd you know he was here?" Buffy asked.

"I was down there searching through the computers when Graham spotted him walking on campus. Since I was there, and I'm commanding officer, I led the team. I'm just glad we were in time."

"Good thing you were." Faith turned and walked away somewhat. "Later, okay?"

Riley nodded, and walked off. Neither he nor the two slayers saw the person watching off to the side. Buffy went over to Faith, and they both knew the dream discussion wasn't necessary anymore.

***

Faith couldn't hide her past anymore, either. She wanted to remain stone-faced, and tough, but as soon as she caught Buffy's eyes and comfort they were offering, telling her it was okay, she dropped to her knees, her entire body shaking with sobs.

Buffy wrapped her arms around her friend, her partner.

"Look at me. I'm…"

"A survivor."

"Oh yeah? And what do I have to show for it?"

"A friend."

"Who pities me."

"Who respects you, and wants your friendship too."

"Why?"

"Cause, well…you're wicked cool girlfriend." Faith choked on her own laughter, and Buffy tried to glare, but couldn't pull it off. "And it looks like some of our other friends are calling us over."

Faith looked up and saw Giles and Xander standing a couple yards away. She got up, shook off her tears, and with Buffy's arm around her shoulders, they went to meet them.

"I have misplaced my pants." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You know what the secret of life is?"
"Your finger?"
"One thing. Just one thing."
"That's great, but what's the one thing?"
"That's what you gotta figure out."
(Jack Palance, Billy Crystal, City Slickers)

"I heard your heartbeat." (Buffy Summers, to Angel, ANGEL)