--- "A.M. Glass" <glasswrks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: "A.M. Glass" <glasswrks@xxxxxxxxx>

Title: "The Deciding Heart Ache"
Author: Angela
E-Mail: glasswrks@xxxxxxxxx
Copyright: March 12, 2000
Rating: 'PG'
Disclaimer: Joss Whedon, Fox, Mutant Enemy all have
something to do with "Buffy, The Vampire Slayer" and
all the characters contained herein. The story is
sole
property of the author, me. No copyright
infringement
is intended or inferred.
Thanks To: Microsoft Word '97, I couldn't have done
it
without you& (EG)
Author's Note: Hello, I just want to say that this
is
part ten, the second to last part of the series. I
have decided to conclude the series with two
individual parts, and you'll see what I mean when I
post them. The conversation at the end of this story
hasn't been easy, as I'm not sure if I'm staying in
character. I'm not sure if this is what she might
say,
so, I hope you'd forgive me if it seems totally out
of
character. Thanks to all of you who have asked& (s)
demanded, at times that I continue. So; and I
personally get a kick out of doing this, it's *so*
Giles like&

PREVIOUSLY:

"Willow, what's wrong?" Buffy asked when the hacker
pulled away abruptly. Perhaps she pushed to quickly.

"I& I need some time to think," she replied, moving
to her bed.

"Oh, okay, I understand, I guess. You know what, I
think I'll head out and do a quick look-see on
campus.
That'll give you time, I'll see you later," Buffy
said
as she grabbed her coat and left the room.

***

When Buffy finally returned to the room she shared
with Willow, she had expected the other girl to fall
asleep and they would have picked up the
conversation
later in the day. She was surprised to see that
Willow
had not moved from the position she had left her in,
sitting on her bed facing the door.

"You're awake," she stated as she closed the door
behind her.

"Yeah& um. I've& I've made up my mind," she replied
quietly.

"Oh& okay. Should& should I sit down for this?" she
asked.

"If you want. I called Tara, I thought I'd just
tell
you both at the same time."

"Good idea," Buffy answered as she stomach tossed
and
turned. She walked over to the closet and hung up
her
coat. Needing something to do, she went to the small
refrigerator and taking out the milk carton, she
took
a healthy swig, before putting it away.

"Um& Buffy?"

"Yeah Will?"

"You& um& you've got a milk mustache," she said
gesturing by her mouth.

"Oh&" she replied licking it off. "Better?"

Willow only nodded.

'Okay, whatever happens, try to act like an adult,'
Buffy thought to herself.

***

Tara rushed out of her dorm room and headed towards
Stevenson's Hall. The early morning light made it
easier for her, she felt somewhat safe out this
late,
or early, depending on how you looked at it.

She could recall the telephone conversation she had
had with Willow less than ten minutes ago.

"Hello?"

"Tara, it's me. Can you come over?"

"Right now?" she asked looking at the time.

"Yeah& it's important. I& I've made my decision."

"I'll be right over."

She had dressed in record time and was now rapidly
nearing Stevenson's Hall. Her steps faltered as she
reached the outer door. This was it; there was no
turning back. Taking a deep breath, she entered the
building and walked towards her future.

***

'Come on& come on,' Buffy thought as her leg
nervously tapped on the floor.

Willow had not said a word since she had announced
that she had made up her mind. And now, thinking it
over, Buffy realized how difficult the decision was
going to be for Willow. Whoever she picked, that
person would be the only ecstatic one in the room.
Willow would more than likely be crushed at having
hurt someone's feelings.

'God, if she chooses Tara, will she leave me?' she
thought, glancing at Willow as she sat on her bed,
her
gaze fixed on the door.

KNOCK& KNOCK& KNOCK

Buffy jerked her head quickly towards the door.

'This is it,' she thought, getting up and standing
in
the middle of the room, ready to ward off whatever
came her way. Willow opened the door.

"Hi& um& I got here as soon as I could," Tara said
apologetically.

"Come in," Willow replied stepping out of the way.

"Hi&" Buffy told the other girl.

"Hi," Tara replied raising her hand in a slight
wave,
before crossing her arms.

"Tara& Buffy, why don't you two sit down."

Buffy could feel the tension building in the air as
she sat back down.

"Is this okay?" Tara asked pointing to Willow's
bed.

"Yeah."

Willow closed her eyes and thought about what she
was
about to do.

'I can do this,' she told herself. "I& I never
thought I'd& I'd ever be in this position& again,"
she
started off saying, quickly thinking back to Xander
and Oz. "I& I& don't know why me? Why now?" she
shrugged as she began to pace. "I find myself having
to make a decision that& that will not only affect
me,
but you two as well," she said gesturing to the
other
girls' who hung on every word. "I don't want to hurt
either one of you, but that's *exactly* what I'm
going
to do& and I'm not sure I'm worth the pain I'm going
to cause. I've been thinking about this very, very
seriously& and please believe me, it wasn't easy."
Willow looked at the two women who had captured a
part
of her and wanted nothing more than to hide. Knowing
that she couldn't, she said the words that would
most
likely haunt her for a long time. "I've chosen&"

TBC