FIC: Forces - PT. 2 (Part 7 of the 'Who Am I?' Series)

Hey.

The long-awaited second part is done. Call off the tarring and feathering Janine. Stop cracking the whip Erin. Please stop threatening to beat me Kimber. :-) Enjoy.

FORCES - PT. 2 (OR - IF YOU DON'T COME IN AFTER ME, I MIGHT…)

"I'm being babysat now?" Riley asked Graham.

They were the only two people left in the complex now. The rest of the members were either on assignment on just going about their lives. Not Riley though. He had lost track of how long he had been down there. Long enough, he figured, for it to be past nightfall. That meant Buffy was either slaying, or knew he was contained and was trying to figure out how to get him out. He hoped she wouldn't try anything, but he knew she would.

He'd have to try and make things easier for her then.

"It's the way it has to be. You know that better than any of us."

"Yeah, but that was before I found out we were all lied to."

"What are you talking about?"

"We were taken from other assignments to this town, and told that it was because we were the best. We were going to handle the problems the majority of the public would rather not know about. Demons. No…they told us they were animals. Dangerous animals, nothing more than that.

"But they are more than that. They're intelligent, resourceful, capable of things that…I couldn't even imagine in a nightmare. They've been around for a real long time, and most of them want nothing more than to kill for fun. Or end the world. But we don't kill these threats.

"We cage them and experiment on them. To learn. To create super soldiers. But the prototype must have gotten a few wires crossed, because he's loose, indestructible, and kills anything and everything. Instead of helping mankind to survive, we're helping to destroy it. You don't see anything wrong in that?"

"Nice speech."

"Come on, Graham. We've all been played, and I know you. I watched your back; I've saved your life. We're friends. Forrest has always been a loose cannon. Always wanted the highest rank, and given the opportunity, he would do anything to get it. And he has. You're better than that. I know you are. You know this isn't right."

Graham's resolve was melting. "You just want out."

"I don't think it's a secret that I don't want to be in here, but believe what you want."

Graham stood there for another second, and quietly walked away to think.

***

Faith bent over, and Spike was moving so fast that he did the only thing he could think of. He tried to jump over her. She straightened up, grabbed his leg as he was in midair, and tossed him down. She kicked him in the stomach quickly, but he just as quickly got to his feet.

In the blink of an eye, his hands were on her shirt, and he threw her over his head. She was able to flip enough so she landed upright. She had a small grin on her face as she turned around to face him, proceeded to pull a stake out of her leather jacket, and then they circled one another.

"You're a tricky one aren't you, pet?"

"And you're just as dumb as you look. I thought that hair cut was bad before, but with the ridges, it looks wicked gross."

He reached forward and grabbed her stake-free arm. She used the butt of the stake to hit has face, and he let go when it connected. She grabbed his wrist, twisted, and he had no choice but to move behind her so she wouldn't tear his hand off.

"Oh please. You're a randy slut. You've wanted to shag me as soon as you saw me."

"Don't flatter yourself. A girl has needs. You were just a convenient toy at the time. There are other ways to get off. Seeing you squirm did the job just fine."

He head-butted her, and she stumbled backward, releasing his wrist. He took advantage of her temporarily stunned state, and swept her legs, making her fall on her back. He stood over her.

"No, you didn't want me, did you? You want the blonde bitch. You want to shag her, discard her, and add another name to your list."

"Don't call her that!" She kicked her leg up, connecting with his groin. He dropped to one knee, and she flipped forward back to her feet, roundhouse kicked him in the side of the head, and he fell on his side. "And I wouldn't do that to her. I won't."

"You're only fooling herself. What? You think you love her? That's bloody rich. You have no idea what that is."

"And you do?"

"You’d be surprised."

She bent down over him. "I do love her. And if it ever…it won't be screwing."

"How will you know the difference?"

"I don't know. Guess I'll have to wait and see." She picked him up and thew him over the side of the docks. He hung on by his hands, keeping himself from falling down into the water below. "What's the matter, little rusty?" She stepped on his hand hard, making him lose half of his grip.

"God…I hate slayers."

Faith was quiet then. After a few seconds, he began to wonder what was going on. Then he felt a hand reach down, and he had no other than to grab it. He was dragged up back onto the docks, and stood up. Buffy was staring him in the face.

"How's the soldier?" He asked smugly.

"Dumb move." Buffy said.

She pushed him back hard into the warehouse wall, and used her weight to keep him there. He was able to get his arm up, and slug Buffy in the face. She was unfazed, and connected with his face next. Faith pulled him back, and kneed him in the gut.

He looked at the two slayers, and they stared at him. His chances weren't looking too good. He looked over the edge of the docks. "What the hell." He dove off, and plunged into the water.

They both ran to look, but they couldn't see him.

"Let's get him." Faith said.

"He's not worth the effort. Next time he's dead, though."

"Why'd you -?"

"He pissed me off." She took a deep breath. "And got Riley captured."

Faith went wide-eyed. "And you're just gonna let him slide?"

"As long as he stays away from me. Got bigger things to worry about, anyway. Listen, I…heard some of -"

"Forget it, B. Never happened." The brown haired slayer began to walk away. She had expected Buffy's reaction. She debated and debated with herself, but she knew Buffy wouldn't want her around after what happened.

"Wait." Buffy said, and Faith stopped.

She still wasn't sure of her feelings exactly, and things had gotten too complicated too fast for her to really figure anything out. But, she did know that she didn't want Faith out of her life. Not for a second.

"Yes it did. And I liked it. But I'm…there's circumstances, and I'm not very focused right now. I do know that I need you right now. Slaying, my life..."

"What did you say?" Faith asked, turning around with a look of disbelief on her face.

"I need you. And I want us to be, to coin your phrase, five by five. I really do want to talk about this, but…"

"We have a jailbreak to plan. Let's get it done." Faith said, smiling.

Buffy Summers just said she needed her, and right now, that was good enough.

***

Later, at Giles' house, Willow, Giles, Faith and Buffy were looking at blueprints and maps of the Initiative complex. They were laid out on the coffee table.

"These were the only files Riley gave to me." Giles said.

"Least we can figure out the best place to go in." Faith said.

"It has the alarm triggers marked too." Buffy said.

"And Tara and I could whip up a spell or two." Willow said.

"This is all great, but how are we supposed to take on a group of marines that have access to guns and other warped Jetson-like weaponry?"

The door opened then, and Xander and Anya walked in. The four people looked up, specifically at Xander, with small smiles on their faces.

"What? What'd we miss?" He asked.

***

Graham lowered the field so he could bring Riley in some food. Riley sat, holding his knees, up against the far corner. For a moment, he thought Graham had come to let him out. No such luck. The soldier simply sat the tray down on the floor, backed out of the cell, and punched in numbers on the wall keypad to bring up the field again.

"First unit's due back in two hours." Graham said, and then disappeared from Riley's sight.

He went over to the tray. It had a turkey and cheese sandwich and a Coke on it. At least it wasn't bread and water. When he went to pick up the sandwich, he moved the plate a little. He noticed there was something underneath.

It was a Swiss Army Knife. That happened to have a pretty sharp knife and a screwdriver.

He went over to the wall of the cell that held the wiring for the keypad outside. His brain started to work as he realized what Graham had given him. If he could cut away the padding and reach the panel, he could shut off the electrical field by severing the wires, and then hopefully get and reach Buffy before she came down there.

He had two hours, so he pulled the knife out and began cutting away the thick padding, and got to work.

***

They sent Xander off to the army base, Tara had come over with a very old looking spell-book which she and Willow were currently searching through, and Anya, finally having some time to confront Faith, decided now was the time to make sure her territory had been clearly marked. Territory, meaning Xander.

She walked over to where Faith and Buffy were sorting through Giles' box of weaponry. Both slayers had a feeling his collection would be a bit too dated to be effective against marines. Before Anya could say anything, she saw Buffy pull out a couple bullet- proof vests, and turn so she was looking in Giles' direction.

"Where'd you get these?" Buffy asked him.

"Ah…" Giles was slow to answer. "The night your mother and -"

Buffy visibly shook, and held her hand out. "Forget I asked."

Anya walked up to Faith. "You can't have Xander."

"Got it. Does it count if -" Faith cut herself off when she saw Buffy shaking her head quickly. Anya eyed the dark-haired girl and eventually left them alone. "For someone who's getting it regularly she sure is a tight ass. And I know the problem can't be satisfaction."

"Can we not go down that down that road?" Buffy asked, a pleading edge to her voice.

"Yeah." She said softly.

Both of them were surprised how quickly she agreed. But Faith's emotions were becoming clearer to her. It wasn't just…lust with Buffy. Xander was a fun relief, but not Buffy. It was more than that with her. A lot more. She was sure of that now. She was still a little scared of the whole 'love' thing, but she knew. Buffy knew how she felt too, because she could see the shock on the older slayer's face.

"Faith…"

"So," Faith said grabbing a vest and getting them out of the tense moment they were currently in, "if we don't get shot in the face, these could be real useful."

"We won't be."

"If we pull this off, they'll be too busy to shoot at you." Willow called in their direction.

They went over to see what the two witches had in mind.

***

"You need help getting the vest on there, Buff?" Xander asked.

He had come back with two M-16's, seven clips, ten grenades, and a few flashbangs. It was getting harder and harder to come up with excuses to take the weapons, and if he had taken anymore, well…it wouldn't have been pretty. While he was teaching the two slayers how to use the equipment, Willow and Tara were setting up for their spell.

"No." Buffy and Anya said at the same time. The ex-demon stormed out of the house. "You're gonna go after her, right?"

He took a deep breath. "Guess I have to, huh?"

"How come you sound upset over that? You're gettin' boinked daily, aren't you?" Faith asked.

"You'd think that'd be enough, but boinking, much to my surprise, isn't enough. I wish there was more to us than that, but I don't think there is."

Faith was a little surprised. She thought guys were only interested in getting some. That's where she got most of her philosophies. The guys wanted quickies, so she learned to just get quickies and go. It was easier for all involved. But now that she was starting to change her thoughts on the matter, Xander's admission rocked her foundations just a little more.

"Maybe you should tell her that." Buffy said softly.

"Yeah. I…should…"

"Go. We've got it covered." Faith said.

Buffy smiled at Faith, thanking her for encouraging him. As he walked out, she went over to Willow and Tara.

"Everything five by - I mean…set?" Buffy said, stumbling over her words. She couldn't believe she said that.

"Mi lingo es su lingo, B." Faith said, a smile in her voice, while she was trying to get a feel for the sight on the M-16.

"Yeah, we're good." Willow assured her.

"It'll take us about forty five minutes to get through it. It's a pretty heavy conjuring spell." Tara said.

"But you'll have control, right?" Buffy asked.

"Hey, we're the two baddest Wiccans this side of the Mouth. We can handle anything." Willow said, looking at Buffy.

Buffy's gaze shifted to Tara, who had the biggest smile she had ever seen. As soon as Willow looked over, Tara looked down at her lap. Buffy couldn't stand it. She looked at Tara and moved her finger in a 'come here' motion.

Tara stood up nervously, and Buffy led her back to where Faith was.

"You better say something to her soon, or I will." Tara looked down again, and Buffy lifted her chin up. "Hey, it's cool. I think it's great. Or it will be once you tell her."

"She's practically smitten with you, Tar'." Faith added. "It usually makes me violently ill, but not in this case. What the hell does smitten mean anyway?"

"You think?" Tara asked.

"We know." The slayers said.

"So do I." Tara said, a small grin on her face as she looked at them knowingly. She went back over to Willow, leaving them speechless.

"Feel like kicking some military ass?" Buffy asked eventually. 'Riley, Riley, Riley…'

"Thought you'd never ask." 'Taken…don't deserve her…be happy with her friendship…'

As they walked out of the house, they heard calls of good luck.

***

Riley was now at the point where one screw up could ruin everything. Which wire to cut? Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green? Circuitry wasn't his specialty. He had to pick the right one, though, or else the alarm system would go off, and every marine would swarm the place in minutes. And Graham was "ignoring" everything he was doing, so the other marine wouldn't further implicate himself.

Red meant stop. So it had to be the red. Or maybe the green. Cause that meant go out. That's where he wanted to go, right? Out? Maybe it was…

"Just do it." He commanded himself.

He reached forward with the knife, and cut the red wire…

And the alarm sounded.

"Which one was it?" Riley asked as Graham came over.

"Red and blue. Sorry…sir."

Two wires? The only thing he could think was of how unfair it was.

"It's all right soldier. You were just doing your job."

All he could do now, was wait. It would all be over soon

***

As soon as Buffy and Faith slid down the cable in the elevator shaft, they heard the alarms sound. They had all their gear either around their shoulders, or stuck in pouches on their waists. Faith opened the hatch on the top of the elevator, and looked down into its white-walled, somewhat claustrophobic space.

"You ready for this? Will and Tara should be halfway through it by now." Buffy said.

"After you, girlfriend." Faith had this confident, somewhat cocky look on her face that Buffy drew strength from.

Buffy's thoughts got strangely focused right before she went into slaying mode. All those extra thoughts kind of took a backseat, and she would just become an instinctive machine. Looking at Faith now, actually seeing, without all those other distracting thoughts, allowed her to finally see the truth.

She did love her. She had for a really long time. It had started as soon as Faith come to town she realized. But not at the time. Faith was unlike anyone she had ever met, and she was drawn to it. The other slayer had kept her on her toes, connected with her, excited her, in a way no one else had. Of the three people she had opened her heart too, again discounting Parker and Scott, she was glad she had. They were all special.

Angel had been a beautiful, passionate experience, and even through all the pain she was glad she had gone through it. Allowed to love him like she had. She didn't think any relationship she had would ever be the same as that. But they were over now, and that was for the best.

Riley was nice and stable, and she loved him, and would get him safe, but even though he had been involved in an underground organization that kinda fought demons, he was still…normal. And that was great, it was a nice change from the cloud of darkness that had surrounded her and Angel for longest time. But there were just things he would never understand, things he had to know if they could hope of surviving. Their relationship had started out based on untruths about who they were, and that was never a good way to begin. They were too different.

Faith? She had lied, sure. So had Buffy. But they weren't involved then. They had been cautious. It wasn't just Faith who tested her limits; Buffy had been testing too. Now all that was over, the walls were crumbling, and they knew each other. They were friends. And she had wanted that for so long. Now she wanted to see what the next level would bring, as apparently, did Faith.

If Buffy wanted to know something, no matter what it was, Faith would tell her flat out. Nothing was toned down, and she knew Faith just by looking into her eyes. Buffy was the same way. If you looked hard enough, they were both open books. And Buffy wanted to read.

She didn't know how far they would go, what would happen…but she did know they both had a lot more in common then one would think. Sure their childhood's had been pretty different, but they both weren't perfect. Buffy knew that just one thing out of place, and she could have had Faith's life; and Faith hers. They both were cautious about whom they let in and shut out, and had a connection only they understood.

They made a pretty damn good team too. Buffy had been searching too deeply for a reason she liked Faith's kiss. A bond between them might have helped to reveal her feelings and brought them closer, but she liked the kiss because she loved Faith. It was a simple answer, however complicated. There were still doubts in her mind as to what a "relationship" with Faith would be like. But she could see Faith's eyes. They were scared too, but there was also love in them.

She realized that this dawning had come at a really bad time, but she was glad it did. Because it would've unfair to both Riley and Faith if she had tortured herself over it for months. She would feel guilty with him, and awkward with her.

Angel had been detrimental to her too. If she hadn't been so caught up in him last year, allowed herself to open her eyes and realize the dead end they had been headed towards sooner, she wouldn't have had to watch Faith or herself do those things to...but the past was the past.

She felt good now, and would feel even better once Riley was safe and this was over.

"B? You okay?"

"Huh? Oh. Yeah."

Buffy dropped down into the elevator, Faith soon behind her.

***

Just as Riley had expected, every soldier was standing in front of his cage within five minutes. Forrest approached Graham, and asked him what had happened. Riley watched as Graham simply said that he must have hidden the knife, and they just didn't pick it up when they patted him down.

After Forrest was finished, he turned to Riley looking angry and somewhat disappointed. Then he spoke into the to the small intercom on the opposite wall.

"Gas. Cell Seven."

Inside the cell, the hidden vents on the ceiling revealed themselves. The gas was tinted yellow, and Riley tried to prepare himself by holding his shirt over his mouth, but he was just delaying the inevitable. That's when they all heard the shots.

Before they could react, they were hit by the disorienting and nauseating effect of a flash bang grenade. More shots rang out, and the crackle of electrical sparks echoed off the walls. Hacking and wheezing from the gas, Riley noticed that the electrical field was down. He stumbled out, and was caught by two strong hands.

After a few more seconds, everything was clear and silent once again. Most of the Initiative was trying to figure out what the hell was going on, and then they saw. Supporting Riley a few feet away was Buffy, M-16 being held in her free hand; and Faith holding one as well. The marines quickly took their weapons into their hands.

"Gotta love a stand-off." Faith said, fire in her eyes.

***

Back in Giles' house, Tara and Willow sat in a circle on a cleared off spot on the floor, pink and blue powders surrounding them. At the center, their hands met, and they chanted as a mist swirled around them. They were both near physical exhaustion, their bodies shaking lightly.

Giles watched with extreme fascination as they said the final line of the spell.

"Let it be! Let him be the protector! Let it be!"

***

"I love having the advantage even more." Faith added.

The complex shook, and almost out of nothingness appeared a hulking form. The creature was massive, his blue-pinkish skin ripping with supernatural muscles. Near the bottom of his stomach, a small, yellow crystal pulsated, clawed hands balled into fists, and horns protruded from the side of his mouth.

First he looked back at Buffy and Faith, and they pointed to the group of commandos in front of him. He nodded, faced them, growled, then attacked. Faith joined him. Buffy helped Riley back against a wall, and told him to stay put.

The men were getting thrown every which way, their bullets having no effect on it. Faith turned her gun around, hit Graham in the head with it, and tossed him in the cell. Buffy ran up to Forrest who was trying to aim his gun at the conjured creature. She got behind him, and put him in a chokehold.

"Call them off, we walk out."

"Not an option." Forrest said.

"Don't say I didn't warn you."

She let go and pushed him in front of her, and then kicked him in the chest. He dropped to his hands and knees, and his gun clattered to the floor. Buffy went to join Faith, who wasn't even breaking a sweat.

"Ready to go?" Buffy asked while backhanding someone to the ground.

Faith shook her head. "They'll just keep coming. This is a war to them. Let's give 'em one."

"No guns unless absolutely necessary."

The two slayers fell in sync, and along with the creature, continued to thoroughly beat anything that crossed their path.

***

Riley, his eyes a tad blurry, watched the fight from his semi-safe position. As his vision cleared, he found Buffy in the crowd. Then he scanned the rest of the battle and saw Jackson aiming his gun in Buffy's direction. He shouted to her, and she looked in his direction, but by then the bullet was on its way, and she dropped to the ground.

He scrambled to his feet, panic and anger rushing through him, and noticed that Forrest was struggling to get up and reach his gun that sat a few feet away. Their eyes met and they knew what the other was thinking. They both got bursts of energy and lunged for the weapon.

Both of their hands latched onto the barrel, and they were struggling on the ground to get the upper hand. Riley used all his strength and drove the gun forward making it hit Forrest's cheek and cut it open. Forrest retaliated by bashing Riley's face with his elbow, and Riley lost his grip.

He got to his feet, gun in hand. Riley got up then too, and tried to kick out his ex-friend's legs. Forrest anticipated this, and got close enough so Riley couldn't use his legs.

"I told you, Riley. Should have listened."

He pushed the gun barrel into Riley's chest, driving him back, and shot him with extreme precision in the heart. Riley's eyes went wide, he dropped to his knees, and then finally all the way to the ground. He was gone, and his blood pooled underneath him.

***

The bullet had simply lodged in Buffy's vest, but it still took the wind out of her. She pushed herself onto all fours after a few seconds. Faith was about to help her the rest of the way when they both heard two shots. Buffy stood immediately.

One shot had come from a commando who hit the yellow jewel on the creature's stomach. The creature slowly faded away. The other shot was harder to place. Faith saw who had done it first.

"B! Over there!"

Buffy looked and saw Forrest, who appeared to be looking down at something. She looked to where she had left Riley then, and he wasn't there anymore. She fought her way over, Faith following.

'No. It's not what you think…it's not…'

Then she saw his body, and went completely numb. Faith wasn't though. She saw too, and quickly weighed her options. Forrest was a threat to her, Buffy, and had just killed Riley. It wasn't murder. It was war. So, she did what you're supposed to do in a war. Take down the enemy. Guns were definitely necessary now. She raised her M-16, and shot Forrest in the back. The man lurched forward, and fell.

Everyone stopped then. Buffy finally walked forward, and crouched by Riley's body. Faith turned to the rest of the team, and pulled a grenade off her waist.

"We could've just taken him and split. But no. One last chance. How do you want this to end?" She held the grenade out for them all to see.

They still had their guns aimed at her when Graham emerged from the cell, holding his head in pain. He looked around at what had happened. He was in command now.

"It's over. Back off." He told his men. "Now."

They lowered their weapons. Faith looked at Graham, and then tossed him the grenade. He caught it shakily.

"We're gone." She knelt down by Buffy and shook her shoulder. "Come on, B. Gotta go." She said softly.

Buffy gave her a look that broke her heart. She eventually stood, and taking one last look at Riley, she walked out with Faith, leaning on her for support.

When the two of them left, Graham walked up to the bodies of Riley and Forrest.

"Incinerate him." He pointed to Forrest. "He never existed."

"What about -" One of them started to ask.

Graham looked at Riley. "They say he's been ready. Hurry."

Two men grabbed Riley's arms, and dragged him towards a room. A room with the numbers '314' on the door.

***

Spike came to in the woods. He tried to remember what happened, and figured he must have hit something that knocked him out when he hit the water. But…how did he get here? That's when he saw a man's shadow looming over him. He looked skyward, and suddenly froze.

"What do you fear?" Adam asked him.

"I have misplaced my pants." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You know what the secret of life is?"
"Your finger?"
"One thing. Just one thing."
"That's great, but what's the one thing?"
"That's what you gotta figure out."
(Jack Palance, Billy Crystal, City Slickers)

"I heard your heartbeat." (Buffy Summers, to Angel, ANGEL)