FIC: Setting Things in Motion(Part 3 of the "Finding Life" Series)

Title: Setting Things in Motion (Part 3 of the "Finding Life" Series)
Author: Pat Kelly
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Joss and Mutant Enemy only. I do not own. Raziel, Kain, the Elder, Sanctuary
of the Clans, Nosgoth, etc. are all from the videogame, "Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver" and
are creations of Eidos and Crystal Dynamics. I am using them in my own way, for my own
plot and storyline for the Buffyverse.
No money is being made.

SETTING THINGS IN MOTION (OR - GET IN THE GAME)

"It was a woman…she…they knew each other…" Joyce said.

Buffy couldn't really think. Giles was on the floor, and it looked like he was a few seconds away from dying. She had no idea from what. Her mom was obviously in shock.

"I should call 911." Buffy said, getting up.

Willow put her hands on Giles' chest. "No."

"What? Will, he -"

"They can't help him Buffy." She said softly. She bent down close to Giles. "You'll be okay." She said a few words under her breath, closing her eyes. "Just take small breaths. Don't force it. You'll be fine. I'm not going anywhere, and neither are you." She talked to him quietly, pushing her hands gently down.

"Will?"

Giles was slowly calming, and he was doing as he was told, no longer gulping. His body didn't feel as tense as it had moments ago, but it was still shaking. He was shivering.

"He needs a blanket."

Joyce had snapped out of her numb state and went to get one. She was angry with herself. He had been on the floor, hurting and confused, and she had stayed frozen. What if Buffy and Willow hadn't come? No, she couldn't think about that.

"Talk to me." Buffy told Willow, getting on Giles' other side.

"I don't know how, but something…drained his soul of some of its energy. I think. But it wasn't enough to…"

"Kill him." Buffy sighed in relief for that. "So what did you do?"

"His body just reacted in a way that was…bad. Wouldn't you if your soul was fed off of? I just relaxed him a little."

"Fed off of?" Buffy asked.

"Sword…Olivia…" Giles said, sounding somewhat delirious.

Buffy and Willow looked at each other.

"It's okay, Giles. You're going to be okay…" Buffy said soothingly. "We should get him out of here. He needs to rest."

"I don't know if he can walk." Willow said.

"Then we'll help him. Take his arm."

They both pulled him up, slipping his arms around their shoulders, keeping him steady. Joyce came in, and she flung a blanket around his back. He lifted his head slightly to show her that he appreciated it.

"I'll get the car started." Joyce said.

Slowly and cautiously, Giles, Willow and Buffy began to walk out of the gallery.

***

"Look, C, just get him on the phone, all right?" Faith said. She was already on edge, and Cordelia wasn't helping.

"All I'm saying is that there's a fee. And you'll need to pay." Cordelia said at the other end.

Faith sat on the edge of the bed, and felt like yelling into the cordless phone. Instead, she just clenched her teeth, and hissed. "I don't care. Get him now."

"Geez. Okay."

There was some noise, most of it sounded like Cordelia yelling, and then she knew Angel was there. "You really have to get a new receptionist."

"She just went in for a third audition for a part in a movie she was sure she was going to get -"

"Don't tell her that!" She heard Cordelia scream.

"And she didn't. What's going on?"

"Long story short, the Mayor left me some cash and -"

"Now his lawyer paid you a visit."

"How'd you know?"

"Wolfram and Hart have their hands in just about anything supernatural. Most of their clients are."

Faith gripped the phone tighter. "That's just great. Wonderful. Probably means they know everything about me. And if you knew…"

"As far as I know they're not planning to make any kind of move against you. They'd risk exposure."

"Doesn't mean much. They could always hire someone."

"I'm watching them. If I find out anything I'll let you know." He was silent for a few moments. "Are you going to tell her?"

"Don't want her to worry about me. I can handle this."

"I tried the same thing. And she still did."

"Yeah, well…thanks." She hung up.

Faith put the phone on the bureau and sighed. This was nuts. She had to take that stupid test soon, her life was finally coming together, and something always had to try and screw her out of it. She was enjoying being with Buffy and just being happy, she wasn't going to stop just because some guy showed up at her door and freaked her a little.

She saw that the bureau drawer was open some. She went to close it, and saw something sticking out. Curiosity getting the better of her, she opened the drawer, and pulled out the wire-rimmed notebook that was inside. It wasn't labeled, but she knew it was Buffy's, because it certainly wasn't hers. She opened it, and the words, "invasion of privacy" were gone from her mind as quickly as they had appeared.

She started to read.

***

'Okay. I don't really know why I'm doing this, but the bond between Faith and me is getting stronger, and we don't really talk about it. Giles said I should try and write what it feels like to me so I can make some sense of it. I already know I'm not going to let him read this.

'I can feel her emotions now too. Not just her memories. For the most part they've been happy. Probably cause I'm out of the coma and stuff. She may think she's the lucky one, but I know I am. She's been so good to me, but not smothering, you know? We both need a certain amount of space and her giving me mine has made me feel closer to her. Does that make any sense?

'So…emotions. Like I said, it's happiness for the most part, but also a little afraidness. Not a word, I know. She decided to try and get her diploma and I was so glad she did. She's got so much going for her, even if she doesn't know it. But I think she's afraid that all the time she's putting in won't get her anywhere. I feel that way a lot too. I've been through thirteen years of education and I still don't know if it'll do me any good.

'Can she feel mine too? Of course she can. A bond has to go both ways, right? I just hope she knows that she's not the only one who's afraid of the real world. And I try to show her more than tell her. But maybe I have to. I have *no* idea where I'm going with this, but…
-----------------
They tell you to go out into the world and set out on your own,
They may give you facts and some knowledge,
The only problem is,
They don't bother to throw you a single bone

Grasping blindly for support,
Struggling to make everything sort,
Desperate to find direction and hear a call,
Just know I'm here to catch you if you fall

Wrongs have outnumbered rights,
You want to change your sights,
There's no rush,
You wouldn't want to get lost in the crush

Grasping blindly for support,
Struggling to make everything sort,
Desperate to find direction and hear a call,
Just know I'm here to catch you if you fall

It's been a long road for you,
It hasn't been all roses and dew,
You hurry cause you think your choices will run out,
But you've got quite a few

Grasping blindly for support,
Struggling to make everything sort,
Desperate to find direction and hear a call,
Just know I'm here to catch you if you fall

No matter what happens I'll be here,
You don't have to hide behind your fear,
Even if you do get scared,
I'll be ready to help you steer

Just know I love you, Faith.
-------------

Wow, where'd that come from?'

***

Faith closed the notebook and stuck it back in the drawer. Tasting the tears on her lips, she realized yet again just how much she loved Buffy Summers. The girl just made everything else go away, at least for a little while, and she made her think everything was going to turn out okay.

The phone began to ring, and she picked it up, smiling when she heard the voice on the other end of the line.

"Can you come to Giles'?" Buffy asked her.

***

"Yes sir…right…no everything's taken care of." Lindsay Macdonald said to one of the owners of the firm in which he was employed.

He was in the back of a limousine that was on his way back to LA, his cell phone held firmly in hand, listening to the response.

"No, I couldn't agree more. It couldn't have happened at better time."

***

"Will he live?" Olivia asked as they walked through the sewer tunnels.

"Of course. As I said, killing him would have been a mistake." Raziel stated.

They continued walking, Olivia telling him all she knew about Buffy and Faith. Fighting style, personality profiles, and all information the Council had provided her with. She didn't like what she had to do, or the person she was becoming, but she would do what was necessary to stay alive. Almost anything anyway. She still wasn't sure if she would have shot Giles.

She eventually noticed that they had passed the entrance up into Willy's.

"Where are you going? The bar was -"

"The slayers are bound to come looking for me. Given what I know of the man's reputation, they'll ask him about me. It would be unwise for me to go back there."

"You knew they'd try and find you if you fed off of -"

"I want to face them. By weakening someone they're close to, I have instilled fear in them. They'll be cautious now. The best way to know a foe is to face them in battle, and they will be testing me as much as I will be them."

"So what do you want to do?"

"Wait." He sat up against the wall of the tunnel. "Is it true?"

"What?"

"That you are doing this because of fear of dying?"

"Yes." Olivia admitted.

"I'd imagine they consider you to be expendable."

Olivia swallowed hard. "Why do you say that?"

"Simply that we used to be called vicious monsters, and humans seem no better."

"I suppose in some cases that's true..."

"What a sad world this is. Lives extinguished without remorse by beings that are supposed to have human souls. Does no-one of your kind appreciate their lives?"

***

Faith met up with Xander and Anya in Giles' courtyard. Anya looked very frustrated.

"She called you too, huh?" Faith asked, surprised. If everyone was coming, it must be big, she reasoned.

"Yeah…" Xander said, forcing a cough.

"Right as we were about to -" Anya began.

He put a hand over his girlfriend's mouth. "I beg you not to finish that sentence."

Faith shook her head, and entered the house first. Willow and Tara were pacing, glancing up at the stairs, as the three of them came in. The witches gave silent waves, and continued walking. Eventually, Buffy came down the stairs, sliding her hand down her face. She smiled when she saw her.

Buffy walked up to Faith, and seemed to study her. "What's wrong?"

"Thought that was my question." Faith dodged. Buffy knew something was up.

Faith's quick avoidance seemed to be enough, because Buffy began to explain what had happened. "Mom's upstairs with Giles now. He's sleeping." She took a breath before continuing. "From what she knows, Olivia,"

"Girlfriend Olivia?" Xander asked, shocked.

"Yep. Her and some thing came in asking about a sword mom just bought for the gallery. And then it…"

"Fed off his soul." Tara said.

"He'll be fine." Willow made sure to say.

"Was it a vamp?" Faith asked.

"Mom couldn't tell. But they're supposed to drink blood. If it is a vamp…it didn't."

"Is there a plan?" Xander asked.

"We track it down and kill it." Faith said, as it was plainly obvious to her.

"I'm all for the tracking part, but seeing as we don't know anything about it…" Buffy tried to explain to her eager partner.

"Damn logic." Faith smirked. "So we hit up Willy."

"Good idea."

"Wait." Anya said, making everyone focus on her. "It drank his soul?"

Willow and Tara moved in closer. "Anya? Do you know something?" The redhead asked.

"I don't know…"

"Then stay here and think." Buffy said. She turned to Faith. "You ready?"

"I'm always ready, B."

***

Faith and Buffy entered "Willy's Place" just after sundown. The place was no more crowded than usual, but they weren't in the mood for an audience. Willy was behind the counter. They'd get to him soon enough.

"Beat it." Faith said, looking around at all the demons in the bar. Some lifted their heads up, but nobody moved.

"Hmm…I don't think they heard you." Buffy said.

"Well maybe they'll see me."

Faith pulled out the knife she always kept with her, and threw it into a Chaos Demon's back in less than a second. It tensed in its chair, and then its head slammed down on the table. She walked up to it, looked down, and retrieved her knife. She held up the slime-covered blade for everyone to see.
Every demon took off like a bat out of hell. Buffy saw Willy trying to follow his customers, and she yanked him out of the retreating crowd. She slammed him up against the counter, holding his shirt with both hands. Faith just stood back and watched.

"Answers. Now."

"What do you mean?" Willy asked, trying to sound clueless.

Buffy grabbed a beer bottle off the counter, smashed it and held it against Willy's neck. "In case you can't tell, I'm very pissed off right now. When I get pissed off, I start doing crazy things."

"She won't hold back." Faith assured him.

"You girls are nuts, you know that?"

"Coulda sworn she said that already."

"Someone I love was hurt today, and I think you know by who. Tell me." Buffy said forcefully.

Faith hopped over the counter, and poked him in the back of the head with her knife. "Come on, Willy. You were born a weasel. Now's not the time to grow a backbone."

She started sliding the knife down his back, cutting his shirt. Buffy pushed the bottle further into his neck. "Okay, okay! He's an old vamp. Name's Raziel. Not from around here. He's in the sewers now. That's probably who you're looking for."

'Out of towner? That probably means… shit. Lawyers work fast.' Faith thought.

"That all you know?" Faith asked, breathing into his ear.

"Cause if we find out you lied…" Buffy started to warn him.

"On my mother's life."

"Then we're done." Buffy let go of him and backed away. "These meetings could go a lot smoother if you just tell us up front, you know."

"I'll remember that."

"I bet you will." Faith walked to the door. "We got a sewer to search."

"Right behind you." Buffy said, taking a final look at Willy.

When they were gone, he stood up and straightened his shirt. "Oh yeah. He's looking for you too." Willy said with a smile.

***

"They're coming. Go." Raziel said to Olivia as he stared at the top of the tunnel. He could hear their footsteps above ground.

The two of them went in opposite directions. Him walking calmly, her running.

***

"Any manhole's as good as the next, I guess." Buffy said, looking down at the circular piece of metal secured in the street.

Faith now had it set in her mind that this "Raziel" had come for her. The stuff about a sword was obviously just to throw everybody off. She was expecting to die, but she had no intention of throwing in the towel. She'd fight and she'd claw, because she was determined to hold on to her life. She wasn't done seeing how far she could take it yet, and she had one other really good reason to want to stay alive.

"I know, B. Whatever goes down, I know."

"Faith…?"

Before either of them could speak another word, the manhole cover flew up into the air, and a figure shot out of the sewers and into the sky. Both slayers whirled around as it landed, bringing its wings behind it.

There was somewhat of a staring match as they circled him. He was sizing them up as much as they were him. Finally the silence was broken.

"Nice entrance." Buffy commented. "Raziel, right?"

He stayed silent.

"Think he's mute?" Buffy asked Faith.

"Talk gets us nowhere." Raziel said.

"Then let's skip right to the action." Faith said.

***

Olivia came into the gallery through the same subterranean entrance she and Raziel had used before. She knew the Summers' woman would have locked up and probably had an alarm system, so there was no way she was going to use the front door.  She was no-one special. She was just a person in a bad situation, and she wasn't really skilled in breaking and entering.

But it wasn't like she had the option of saying no to an "older than recorded history" vampire. She was supposed to get the sword while he kept the slayers occupied, and that's what she was going to do. Having a feeling that it wouldn't be with the main displays, she went around to all of the side storage rooms.

Nothing.

She got to a room, where the door was locked. Smiling, she raised her gun and shot the lock mechanism. She went in, and at first, she didn't see anything spectacular. Getting increasingly frustrated, her attention was drawn to a stack of boxes. She saw a faint outline in a part of the wall which they seemed to be blocking. It could have been a compartment. As she started moving the boxes out of the way, she heard sirens. It had completely slipped her mind that the building might have had a silent alarm. Sound sensitive, probably. She figured she must have set it off when she fired the gun.

Cursing, and rushing now, she threw the boxes carelessly, and there was indeed a compartment. Thankful she had good night vision, she slid up the small door. Inside was a long object wrapped in cloth. Grabbing it, she ran out of the room, and towards her exit. She dropped in just as the police had kicked in the door.

***

Buffy went in first, trying for a quick roundhouse to Raziel's face. He caught her leg, and her eyes went wide. No vampire, or demon for that matter, had ever caught her kicks with their hands. She reacted quickly, bringing her other leg around, and that did connect, even though she fell. Raziel simply staggered, but he was impressed by her speed.

Faith was a little more aggressive. She rushed him, giving him a hard kick in chest that drove him into the front end of a car. She ran and jumped over top of him onto the car's hood. She kicked him in the face, and he shook his head. Her skills matched her partner's, he noted, but she was in too much of a hurry.

"Tell them I'm not that easy to get rid off."

"I do not want to take that trip again."

"Huh?" Faith was confused.

He reached his arms up, grabbed her shirt, and lifted her above his head. Effortlessly, he threw her square into a parking meter. Buffy had gotten up, and was now extremely angry with the newcomer. Raziel had moved away from the car, and Buffy, making sure to pick up speed, jumped high over him, and wrapped her legs around his neck in midair. As she came down, the momentum flipped him over onto his back and she landed atop him.

"First you hurt Giles, and now you hurt Faith. That's a big no no."

"Then kill me. Now's your chance."

She pulled out her stake, and went to drive it into his heart. He didn't stop her. She plunged it in…

And nothing happened.

He raised his arm and gave her a swift, powerful uppercut that sent her flying through the air.

Raziel got up, and looked at his opponents. "You certainly have potential. You're both too overconfident. She's," He pointed to the now semi-upright Faith, "too eager, and you're too cautious. When we meet again, I warn you, I will not hold back."

He flew away.

Faith and Buffy met up, watching him go. Buffy held her head, which she thought was slightly cut, while Faith had her hand on her back.

"You okay?" Buffy asked.

"Five by…" She winced. "Maybe not."

"That was something I'm not looking forward to repeating."

"Smug bastard. Can you believe he critiqued us?"

"I was rather insulted…but if that was holding back…plus the no dusting factor…"

It was all a complicated puzzle they were too tired to figure out. Even more so for Faith, who was now completely confused. Did Wolfram and Hart send him or not? If he was, why was he playing games? Why didn't he just get it done? Feeling something close to a migraine coming on, she forgot about it for the moment, and they silently walked home.

***

 Raziel came back down to the sewers to find Olivia back. She looked worn, but she was holding something in her hand. The night just continued to improve.

"I have it." She said to him.

"Thank you." He replied as she handed it over to him.

He looked at it. Finally, after so many years, it was his again. The things he could do. Make the vampires the dominant force on the earth once again. Have order, respect, and power. He was not one who was overcome by the mere thought of having control, but there needed to be leadership. And he was the only one left to assume such a position.

Trapped in its physical form, he knew the only way to set it free was to destroy it. After he had it, he would deal with the slayers and start his kind back on the road to greatness. He closed his eyes, turned the blade toward the tunnel floor, lifted up the sword, and drove it into the ground, shattering it to pieces.

He waited for the mystical sword to attach itself to his body.

And waited.

And waited.

"Isn't something supposed to happen?" Olivia asked eventually.

"It's a fake. A forgery." His eyes narrowed, and he turned to her. "Did they know about this?"

"No." She said, backing up.

"Did they just assume that I could be used? That I wouldn't figure it out?" He closed the distance between them.

"They…didn't know." She stuttered.

"I know they do not think too highly of you. Perhaps they lied to you…or," He grabbed her neck with lightning fast speed, "perhaps you lied to me."

"I didn't! I swear!" She gagged.

"Only liars swear."

"Please…"

"You seem surprised. I do think its appalling that your kind would put you in this position, I however am not of your kind. You were useful, and now you're simply food."

He began to satisfy his hunger as well as release his anger.

***

In a large, spacious office on the highest floor of the Wolfram and Hart offices, there was a glass case attached to the wall that was behind a very expensive desk. Inside that case, sat by all appearances, a simple, practically worthless, piece of wood. But as its current owner swiveled his chair around to admire it, he knew it was so much more than that.

Yes, everything had fallen into place nicely.

It was only a matter of time now.