SPOILERS: "New Moon Rising" and "Sanctuary"

Warning: I'm pretty harsh on Buffy (the character, not the show) in this
review, so if you'd like to keep your view that Buffy can do no wrong
untainted, don't read on. If you do, I want no flames, 'cause I warned you.

Spoily-type space...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"New Moon Rising":

Before I saw this ep I decided to get myself in the mood by watching "Wild at
Heart" again. My, how times have changed. This was truly a Willow transition
episode (with some fun set-up for next week's Angel/Riley confrontation), and
in form I thought it was just beautiful. Talk about an episode title with
meaning...

First off, Alyson Hannigan was superb. I really think that's her best acting
yet. The emotional scenes could have been really flat, but she's managed to
find the perfect balance between Willow's Willowy nature and subtlety. The
last scene in the van with Oz was...wow, heartbreaking. The way the loss of
first love and moving on was handled was very elegantly done, and in a
different way than Buffy and Angel. Mainly, because Willow and Oz didn't need
to come to blows. They understand each other. They will always love each
other, but both understand that moving on doesn't mean that love is gone.
That's an important element which I think Buffy has really yet to grasp, but
if I got into that I'd be *completely* digressing into a rant (see "Angel"
review below <snicker>). Anyhow, as small and seemingly insignificant as my
favorite piece of dialogue was, the way it was delivered by both Seth and Aly
was what made it the most telling and powerful: Oz: "But now is not that
time." Willow: "No."

What made the ep really amazing to me was that I was sort of in the same boat
as Willow. I *love* Oz as a character, and I have a feeling this means the
end of his presence on the show. I will miss him terribly, yet I never wanted
him to get back with Will. I never thought they were meant for each other,
and I like Tara and think she's what Willow needs right now. So, like her, as
much as I didn't want him to leave, there was really no reason I could see
for Oz to stay (besides finding Devon and making mad monkey love with him,
but that's in my own little fic world). He was always in it for Willow. He
was a Scooby by association, and I thought it in keeping that the end of them
was the end of him fighting the good Scooby fight. <sniffle>

So, moving on... Tara. I'm very, very happy things went the way they did. May
I just give kudos and lots of respect to Joss and Co. for making this a
believable and non-gratuitous relationship? Not that I wouldn't want to
someday see them at least kiss (if the evil underground organization known as
the WB ever allowed it), but I think it's a lot smarter to wait until all the
emotional trauma and newness involving them has settled down so that we
believe it was done because that's what couples *do* and not because of
ratings.

Next week: Well, Oz's return did provide for the perfect segue into next
week's episode. Let's see if Riley can *really* handle the prospect of
non-evil evil things when Angel comes to town, huh? <snerk> If you're
expecting predictions...as Cordy would say, "Not!" Oh, wait, I will predict a
lot of bitchiness from Buffy towards Angel (whine, this is all about me,
whine, you hurt my new boyfriend, smack, punch, I can't believe you hit me!).
Don't get me wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised if she actually thinks of
anyone but herself, I just don't forsee it happening. But other than that, I
wash my hands of Angel and Riley. I hope they both beat each other to a pulp
and then move on with their lives. *Please*?

"Sanctuary":

How do I describe my reaction to this episode? Well, let me just say that it
was so intense that when it ended, I couldn't even form thoughts. The tears
were running, but if you had asked me at that exact moment what I was
feeling, I honestly would have been speechless. I can tell you now that this
was a great character episode for our L.A. residents.

I suppose the highlight of the episode was supposed to be Faith's change from
evil to good. I'll get to that, but what had the effect on me that I
described above was not anything to do with Faith, but the last scene between
Buffy and Angel. It was at that very moment that I realized how far Angel has
come in finding himself and becoming someone worthy of redemption. Sure, I
knew it before, but it wasn't until now that I felt the full impact of it.
That he could stand up to Buffy that powerfully even though it hurt him so
much to do it was just too intense for words. (And it was so in keeping with
his character that he said what had to be said and then immediately shifted
the blame to his "big mouth." :-) My love of this scene is probably helped a
lot by the fact that I have felt that same way about Buffy's manipulation of
Angel's emotions and feelings for her in order to do whatever the hell she
wants. And he -- *finally* -- saw right through her. Buffy: "I came here
because you were in danger." Angel: "I'm in danger every day. You were in
this for vengeance." I am so, so proud of him, and at the same time, my heart
aches for him. I started crying so hard when he said, "That's great that
you've moved on. I can't. You found someone else. I'm not allowed to,
remember?" And I finally feel gratified in the fact that the writers haven't
been oblivious to Buffy's behavior for, oh, the past couple seasons. I won't
get *too* into what she said to him about "trusting him" and "knowing him,"
'cause I'll go off on a *really* long rant, but... You're right, Buffy. You
don't know him. Because, judging from your parting comment, you can't even
*grasp* everything Angel is. "Go home."

Now, for Faith... After last week's amazing Faith character episode, I have
to say this fell short of what it could have been. I have a hard time
figuring it out, but the style and her transition and dialogue just didn't
feel quite right. I won't hide the fact that I blame it all on Tim Minear's
part of the writing (shared by Joss, thank God, or the whole episode might
have gone down the toilet). Sorry, I just have "Hero" issues, and I felt that
this episode had some of the same tone and poor writing that "Hero" had. Just
some, mind you, because I didn't feel this episode regarding Faith was bad,
just not up to its highest potential. One thing I *do* feel was pulled off
rather nicely was Angel's understanding of Faith's situation (which I believe
last week's flashbacks were trying to portray, though not as well). One thing
that he said to her struck me in particular, and once again it simply yet
very effectively shows their connection: "*Feel* it."

Despite the lackluster writing of Faith, there was one point where I saw her
come alive, balancing her regret with her complex Faith-ness, and that was on
the roof. She may hate now what she did to Buffy, but she won't apologize for
the fact that Buffy can't handle not being in control. She may see the damage
she caused inside of Buffy, but from inside of Buffy she also sees that none
of this was about *Faith*, it's about Buffy not being able to handle Faith
"winning," no matter whether it's while kicking her ass or in a jail cell. If
Faith wants it and she gets it...no matter how good it may actually be in the
grand scheme, that's Faith winning, and it's not acceptable to Buffy. Proof
is in the fact that she wanted Faith in jail, but once she was in there of
her own free will, Buffy had no peace with the situation, and in fact
resented her more and aimed *really* low (figuratively) on the man who loves
her because he wanted the same thing as Faith.

If there's one thing that annoys me about Angel (and I mean that as an
affectionate annoyance, since it's just so very *Angel*), it's how he never
refutes it when people think he's evil. They know or find out about vampires
and what they're like. Then they find out that Angel is a vampire and is well
known for being a bad-ass vamp himself. But those who don't know he has a
soul, he just doesn't tell them. He could avoid a whole lot of trouble if he
didn't feel such a need for penance that he lets people only vaguely know
that he's "reformed." And I think this is the main problem with Kate. I feel
sorry for the poor woman, and Angel needs to be very up front with her if he
wants her to understand him and his cause. How can she understand that the
creatures that killed her father are any different than Angel if he doesn't
explain it to her? Yes, she's seen him do good things, but she's always
suspected him of keeping secrets from her, so I don't blame her not trusting
him anyway...especially after reading all about the "Scourge of Europe." In a
lot of ways, from the beginning, Kate has reminded me of Riley. Pretty naive
at first, leading to everything they've thought to be true falling down
around them...and then comes the "accepting it" part, and the only reason
Riley is able to deal is because Buffy has explained things to him. Kate,
like Riley, is a very black and white person, but *she* is completely new to
this side of the world...Angel needs to just tell her a few crucial things
about himself, and she may eventually be able to consider him a friend again.
The success of these shows lies in delayed gratification, but if Angel waits
too long she may become even more alienated from not just him, but everyone
around her as well. Ever since her father's death and truly coming
face-to-face with evil in a "demon" way and not an "evil thing" way, Kate's
had the weight of this secret on her shoulders, and it's separated her from
anyone who doesn't know about the supernatural. She needs to be able to share
it with Angel, because I don't think she can mentally handle it all on her
own, no matter how tough Cop Lady thinks she is.

Speaking of disagreements between characters (don't you just love my cheesy
transitions?), I mentioned last week the issues between Angel and Wesley. If
there's one thing I will say about Faith, whether good or evil, she tends to
cause chaos. So therefore, we got more Angel and Wes clashing, full-force.
Which is good, because I think it gives Wesley more leeway in becoming
accepted as a legitimate character by those who haven't yet accepted him. I
love Wes, and even though I disagreed with him regarding Faith, the depth
he's given by both the writers and Alexis is unmistakable. He's doesn't mean
the same thing to Cordelia and Angel that Doyle did, but he means something.
It's just different. And Wesley's come a *long* way since his Watcher days,
when he was pretty much a stock character (annoying and prissy, but also
*meant* to be annoying and prissy so we could all hate him and laugh at him
with no stipulations). I just went "wow" when he said, "Don't you dare take
the moral high ground with me." Then later, he still admitted that he trusts
Angel. Their relationship isn't buddy-buddy, hero/sidekick, like he and Doyle
had. It's harder, and it's based more on equality, morals, and a mutual
understanding not to let petty things get in the way. And Wesley's
relationship with Cordelia is a lot different too, where instead of romance
it exudes brother/sister. They squabble all the time, but there's concern and
love and respect, which was revealed in the very sweet examination of
Cordelia's face, and also the anger it caused. To make a long paragraph even
longer, A/C/W may not be a big, happy family all the time, but the family is
still there, and it's what makes "Angel" my favorite show.

Next week: After "New Moon Rising" and "Sanctuary," I was emotionally
drained. Thank God for a more episodic episode coming after next week's
"Buffy." I can handle street gangs on a weekly basis...I can't handle "The
Buffy & Angel Show" that often. If that were to happen, you'd get these
horridly long reviews *every* week. For being "speechless" after this ep, I
sure did babble a lot...

Jennifer NightBloom
http://angelshellmouth.faithweb.com
http://graham_crackers.tripod.com
http://cawriters.faithweb.com
"Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy." - F. Scott Fitzgerald