FIC: Being There (Part 4 of the "Finding Life" Series)

Title: Being There (Part 4 of the "Finding Life" Series)
Author: Pat Kelly
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Joss and Mutant Enemy only. I do not own. Raziel, Kain, the Elder, Sanctuary
of the Clans, Nosgoth, etc. are all from the videogame, "Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver" and
are creations of Eidos and Crystal Dynamics. I am using them in my own way, for my own
plot and storyline for the Buffyverse.
No money is being made.

BEING THERE (OR - I COULD DO IT EASY)

Hands hit padded palms.

Punch with the left. Punch with the right. Front kick.

Again and again. Faster…faster…

Then the pads were dropped in a blink of an eye.

A wide arced kick was ducked.

Arms connected with arms. Attacks blocked.

A hand grabbed a wrist.

Buffy flipped Faith down onto the mat, and still held on to her. She stared down at her, seeing her faraway _expression_. Buffy sighed, released Faith's wrist and knelt down beside her.

"Please talk." Buffy said. "You wanted to train, and you're not focused."

Faith sat up. "Nothing to talk about. Money's just going to my head."

They both looked around at their new place. It was a large studio apartment. Wood floors, large windows, sliding door closets…it was perfect for training. Everything except the bedroom was in the same open area. The kitchen was a tad small, but that was fine with them. They didn't get much in yet. It was already semi-furnished. Two leather chairs, coffee table, medium size fridge…the barest of essentials. The rest would come later.

It had been a week since they had faced Raziel, and they hadn't heard a peep out of him since. Faith had been hesitant to spend any of the money, but when she saw that the threat given to her by Wolfram and Hart was not being carried out by Raziel or anything else, she took a gamble and she and Buffy bought the place. She was still distracted, however, and was developing a little paranoia.

"Wrong." Buffy told her.

"What do you mean wrong?"

"You and I both know that's a load of -"

"It's not." Faith got up and walked over to the kitchen area.

Buffy followed. "Oh yeah? I can feel you, Faith, and you are not okay." The brown-haired slayer looked her in the eyes. Buffy went quiet. "You read it."

Faith got a bottle of water out of the fridge. "Yeah."

She wasn't upset. Only more confused. "You have to know I'm here for you, then."

"I didn't need a notebook to tell me that."

"Then what is it? That you have to take the second part of the test tonight? That we lost to Raziel? That we found Olivia and had to be the ones to tell…"

They had searched the sewers the day after to see if they could find Raziel, and instead of finding him, they found Olivia's body lying rather haphazardly on the ground, surrounded by pieces of wood that they could only assume had once been the sword Joyce had talked about.

Going to tell Giles had been difficult, who immediately got out of bed and made the burial arrangements, despite all their protests health-wise. He hadn't said much to anyone. Except to Joyce who had asked him to stay instead of going back to his house. He didn't fight with her. He was the only one they knew who could possibly help them figure out what was going on, so they hoped he'd be okay. Olivia had apparently been a longtime friend and lover, and he was in no rush to talk about her.

"I'm fine. Could we please drop this?" She took a swig of water, and went to sit down on one of the leather chairs.

"You just seem…off. There's a lot of stuff happening now. I go back tomorrow and…"

"Plus the test tonight. So shouldn't we spend some quality time together?"

Buffy sat on her lap, admitting defeat. "Kiss me."

"Now this I can do."

***

Willow and Tara stood in the doorway of their dorm. The college let residents on campus a day early so they could get their living arrangements settled. They walked in, and over the next hour, they put their clothes away, hooked up Willow's computer, found a place for their spell materials, and they saved the placing of stuffed animals, pictures, and knick-knacks for last.

Willow brushed her hands together. "We're done."

"Uh huh." Tara nodded.

"Looks good."

"Yeah. Good."

As their eyes were admiring their work, their gazes finally settled on the largest object in the room.

The bed. The single, uno, one and only, bed.

"Should we…uh…pick sides?" Tara asked.

"Seems like the thing to do." Willow shut the door, and walked up to Tara. "Or we could do this." She started to kiss her.

"Are you sure?"

"I want to do this. I've wanted to for -"

"Me too." Tara kissed her back.

"It's scary, yeah, but…"

"Okay." Tara said softly, smiling.

She leaned in to kiss the blond again. "I love you."

"Love you too…but…wait."

Willow's face scrunched into a confused look. Tara reached behind her, and flicked the lock. The girls then lowered themselves onto the bed, their mouths just as locked as the door.

***

"She was… when I was attending Oxford, she was the only person who made me forget who I had to become. Everyone else I knew, professors, my friends, all reminded me of it. She helped me get through. If that makes sense." Giles said, sitting on the couch in Joyce Summers' living room.

"It does." Joyce assured him, sitting in a chair across from him.

"I didn't have to think about prophecies, or vampires, or the Council…it never mattered when we were together. Even now, I was still just a person to her. Sometimes I forget that I am."

Joyce had a sympathetic _expression_. "Would you like some coffee? Or tea?"

"Coffee would be wonderful." He smiled gratefully. She got up, and stood there looking at him.

"I don't know how you like it."

"Normally…ah, black." She still stared. "Would you like some help in the kitchen?"

"Yes. Thanks for asking."

He followed her in. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be -"

She opened a cabinet and pulled out two mugs. "Nonsense. It's good to talk about it. It's the only way to heal." He grabbed the coffee can off of the counter. "I know it's not the same thing…exactly…but when Hank wanted a divorce after…what happened at Hemry…I felt lost for a long time. He and I didn't have the best marriage, but we did have a wonderful girl, and I loved him once. I wasn't sure how to handle anything."

"You seem to be doing well now."

"Appearances are deceiving. I may have a nice house and a steady job that's now in a police…" She trailed off when she realized what she was saying. "I'm sorry."

"It's all right, really. But I know…if it wasn't for me, she would've never gotten mixed up in all of this." He said, an angry edge to his voice.

"She made her own choices, Rupert. You're not to blame."

He ran his hands through his hair. "Whether I caused her death directly or indirectly, I'm still at fault." He threw the can hard onto the floor, and the ground beans spilled across it.

He dropped to his knees, and broke down, crying. "Two people. Two people are dead because they chose to get involved with me and my…what is my life now?"

Joyce knelt down, and put her hand on his shoulder. "You're a father. Whether you know it or not, you've become that for Buffy. You've been there for her, and I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful man to guide her through everything she's had to deal with. You're someone who I've come to -" She stopped herself. She got up for a second, and grabbed a few tissues.

He took them, and stood up with a slight smile. "Thank you. For -"

She shook her head. "Now, coffee seems out. What do you say we try tea?"

***

"As far as I can ascertain, the demon nest was in his house before he moved in." Wesley told Angel as the vampire sat at his desk.

Cordelia was sitting in front of it. "So he didn't invite the demons in to…do it." She looked disgusted with her own words. "Well good. Cause taking a client that's an evil breeder would *so* not look good for our reputation. And then we'd have to file for bankruptcy…"

"I wasn't aware we had a reputation." Wesley said.

"You do. I assure you." A woman said, standing in the doorway of his office. She was wearing a professional looking suit, and had a cocky grin on her face.

"Lilah." Angel said stone-faced.

"I wasn't aware we were addressing each other on a personal level."

"'Ms. Morgan' might give you the impression that I have respect for you and the work you do. I don't."

She grinned. "Touché."

Cordelia whispered to Wesley. "How come he seems to know any woman who walks in from the street? Is it like some bizarre 'I'm a tortured, souled vampire' flirting routine that he -"

"She's a lawyer for Wolfram and Hart."

"Ohh…" She thought some more. "Oh. Then I'm not here."

She got up out of the chair, and Wesley walked behind her. She made sure she glared at Lilah before she left.

"As you probably know, we've watched you ever since you arrived in town. You've certainly attracted attention. Its caused setbacks for the firm."

"I hope you don't expect an apology."

"Please, I wouldn't -"

"Right. Feel free to get the point and then show yourself out."

"Very well. Mr. Hart would like to meet you. Face to face."

"I'm not the suicidal type." He got up out of his chair, and began to walk around the office, not making eye contact with her.

"You're being extended a courtesy. I can guarantee you that you won't get this chance again. And we do have other interests we could be focusing on."

He turned around to face her. "I'll be there within the hour."

"There's a limo outside." They stared at each other for a few more seconds. "I'll be waiting."

She left, and he waited until she was completely out of the office before grabbing his jacket and walking to Cordelia's desk.

"I'll be back."

"You're not going with her are you? Into the lion's den?" Cordelia asked frantic.

"I like to live on the edge."

Wesley came up to him. "I don't have to ask if you're armed, do I?" Angel was quiet. "Thought not."

"Call Faith. Something may be up, and she should watch her back."

He walked out of the office, with Cordelia and Wesley staring after him.

"Don't die, you hear me? I need paychecks!"

***

"This is cleaner." Anya pointed out.

"Well, I thought about city clean-up, but I have delicate skin." Xander said.

"A mop is better."

Xander was now the maintenance supervisor at City Hall. The place was a bustle with governmental and new mayoral decisions that they weren't being paid much attention to. He would still be close to the source…just a lot less slimy. Unless the new mayor wanted to ascend into a demon slug. Currently, he wasn't supervising anybody, but he was looking forward to it. Being a boss. He had shown considerable enthusiasm, but he had no clue if he could actually do the job or not. They had just been looking for someone, and he had been the only one willing.

"So do you know anything about this Raziel guy or what?"

"There were just rumors. Back when I first was elevated -"

"Eighteen-hundred and eightyish, right? I don't know if I've said this before, but you look damn good for your age, honey."

Anya fidgeted. "I want you…but this is your place of employment…so thank you, instead." Xander looked disappointed, but this was what he wanted, so he smiled quickly. "Where was I?"

"Long time ago."

"Yeah, so…he was a demon ghost story. There used to be this really old temple, and demons would pass it, scared out of their minds. I was new in the demon area, so I stayed away too."

"So how -?"

"Oh! I remember now. They said he was a vampire who was older than the world itself and that he murdered any demon or human that disturbed him. He was supposed to be unkillable. Most demons probably won't know anything about it these days."

"It's not just a story anymore. Buffy and Faith went up against him."

"And don't forget. They could've easily been killed by him." Xander shook his head. "Which would be bad of course."

"What's his story? There's gotta be more to it."

Anya shrugged, and Xander continued to mop.

***

"Now that's a shame." Mr. Hart said into the intercom on his desk. "I was hoping no more action would be necessary on our part. But we must do what needs to be done to keep things running smoothly."

"It'll be handled, sir."

"I have no doubt."

His office was bathed in black, the curtains shielding the day from creeping in through his large window. He himself was hidden by the shadows, and he preferred it that way. He smiled as he saw the doors to his office open, and Angel step in. He had seen pictures, but the man exuded strength of intelligence and body by the look on his face. He hadn't seen that in a long time.

"You like the dark." Angel stated.

"A preference we share, I believe. Please sit."

"No thanks." Angel seemed to squint, and had a questioning look. "What are you?"

"What do you think I am?"

"First guess? Vampire."

"Always trust your instincts." He stared at Angel for a second. "You look confused."

"You weren't -"

"Giving off a vampiric scent? No. Well, not one you would recognize."

Angel's neutral look was back on, and he began to walk closer to his host.

"What's your game?"

"Game? I'm a business man who happens to make a successful living."

"By using demons to murder witnesses before they can take the stand. Among other things, right?"

"Don't tell me you're surprised."

"No. Just disgusted. Where's your partner, Mr. Hart?"

"I'm not sure. He hasn't shown up for work in a very long time."

"He was human."

"Looks good for the firm to have a partner. If only simply in name. PR reasons." Mr. Hart stood up, scrutinizing Angel more closely. "I didn't believe it at first. A human soul."

"What other kind of soul is there to have?"

"So young. And so uneducated."

***

"Time?" Buffy asked, now knowing the limits of their new bed quite well.

"Just past two." Faith grinned.

"And we've been here since -?"

"About nine."

"That a new record?"

"I don't think Guinness covers this category, B."

"Love you anyway."

"Something to keep me going while I finish the one thing that can give me a future. I hate pressure." Faith kissed her softly, coming down off the seemingly never ending high that involved hearing Buffy yell out her name. "That's better."

"When do you have to be at the testing center by?"

"Five thirty. I'll be outta there by nine."

"You can do it. I know you can."

"I think I proved that several times already."

Buffy snuggled closer, not having the energy to playfully reprimand her. "You know what I meant."

"Just like messing with your head. But that means a lot. Really."

"So what do you want to do?"

"I should probably…" She couldn't believe she was saying this. "Hit the books one last time."

"Then I'll let you study in peace. I'd only distracting you."

"Wouldn't want that." Their tongues jousted for a few seconds.

"I want…to see how…Giles is anyway." Buffy said, trying to catch her breath.

Faith looked at the brand-new phone on the bedside table. "It's not like the phone could distract me, either. Seeing as the damn phone company hasn't hooked us up yet."

"Then nothing will stand in the way of your book-cracking."

"I'm ecstatic." Faith muttered.

***

"I always like to learn new things." Angel said.

Hart walked around his desk, still careful to hide his face from Angel's view.

"I'd imagine there's quite a conflict between the soul and your demon."

"Your point?"

"With a demon soul there isn't such a conflict. "Invitations" are unnecessary, and immunity to holy water and the light of day is developed after only a few years. Demons today have devolved to the point where demon souls are non-existent in this world."

"How do you know all this?"

"I used to have one. Until it was…" He cleared his throat. "That's not the issue. I have adapted over the years, and have come to terms with the fact that our reign is over. Having power now is…more fruitful. The population, the opportunities…"

"Why should I care? If you're trying to tempt me -"

"My motive here is quite simple." He glanced back at his prized, encased sword.
"This law firm does not like -"

"To be directly connected to any demon activity. I know the drill."

"Which is why I need you. An enemy of mine has finally come out of hiding. We have unfinished business. If you could bring -"

"I'll find the way out." Angel began to walk toward the door.

"I could kill you at any time. And it would solve many of my problems."

Angel reached down to his pant leg, turned around sharply, and threw a stake directly at the firm owner's heart. It lodged there. Hart pulled it out calmly, and threw it back. Angel caught it.

"Now, as I was about to say, this enemy of mine seems to have taken residence in the area. A town called Sunnydale, I believe."

Angel's eyes widened. "Who are you?"

Hart leaned forward, and the side of his face was charred and black. The skin was barely holding onto face. He had a large, rather hideous scar on the other side. The only thing that looked vampiric about him was his full set of fangs.

"You don't want to know."

***

Buffy walked into her mother's home, somewhat surprised to see Willow and Tara sitting on the living room couch. And they were beaming like love-struck fools. One might say they were practically glowing. And they were as close as two people could get without actually going for all out cuddling. Buffy smiled a knowing smile as she went over to them.

"Congratulations."

The two girls blushed. "Thanks." They said quietly.

"That good, huh?"

If it was possible to blush any more, they accomplished it. Buffy grinned, but left them in their own world of bliss when Giles walked in from the kitchen. She immediately met him, and hugged him tightly. She was happy when she felt him hug back.

"How are you?" She asked into his chest.

"I'm…doing better. I've had lots of support."

She looked into his eyes. "And it'll be here as long as you need it."

"Somehow I knew that."

"When's the funeral?" She asked, walking him to a chair.

"Ah…tomorrow. Around noon."

"Do you want me to go? I'd understand if…you wouldn't…seeing as she was…"

"I'd appreciate that. Very much, actually." He smiled.

"Giles…I…can we talk on the porch?"

"Of course."

***

Raziel looked into Willy's bar conspicuously from the street. Willy was arguing with another man. The man stood calmly listening to his frantic objections, and when Willy finished, the man reached inside his jacket and pulled out a wad of what must have been large bills, because Willy suddenly became less hostile.

Turning to the bar's demon customers, the man flashed the money in front of their eyes as well. After a few moments, the demons nodded in agreement to whatever the man had proposed, and then he discreetly left the bar. Raziel was immediately suspicious of the human. He seemed too well groomed to want anything to do with such a poor establishment.

He planned on following him, as he hadn't eaten since Olivia, but he wanted to know who the person was. Raziel had a feeling that he couldn't shake. He was just about to follow, but someone else caught his attention. Someone who was coming down the street. He made sure he was hidden from view.

It was the brown-haired slayer.

***

"I'm sorry." Buffy started out by saying. She and Giles were sitting on the porch bench.

"What for?"

"For being scarce like…almost all of freshman year."

"Buffy there's no need for -"

"Yes. There is. For three years you were there for me through everything, and as soon as college started…boom. I'm gone."

"Things change. Circumstances change."

"But it's not like I was that far away, Giles. Sure I came to see you, but only because some nasty was on the loose."

"You think you were using me, don't you?"

She nodded. "And it wasn't intentional. I just didn't think about how what I was doing might…how you might feel. And that was wrong."

"It was a strenuous…different year for all of us. And we all reacted…or didn't react, in different ways. There's no need for you to feel guilty about trying to figure out how to survive a very new situation.

"I'll be honest with you. I missed your company. I was used to the routine of seeing everyone throughout the course of the day, the comfort of the library, the employment," Buffy smiled, "and I hadn't prepared myself for the day when the routine would have to change. But I don't hold anything against you."

"I missed you too. There were so many things going on, and I guess somewhere I thought you were glad to be free of me so I didn't want to bother you."

"You were never a bother to me. Never. I'll always be here if you need me."

She grabbed his hand. "And I'll be around a lot more. Cause college gets harder, and I need you to keep me on track. And listen to me complain."

"One of my favorite things to do." He smiled. "And I'll return to the gallery when your mother releases me."

"Just do what she says and you'll be fine. Eighteen years of experience talking here." She grinned.

"I'll take that advice then. No appearances from -?"

"Nope."

"The only logical answer is that the sword was a hoax. It's still bothering me that I couldn't find any information on it."

"Well it's his move. He's probably just real ticked."

"I'd imagine so."

Joyce poked her head out the door. "Buffy? A Mr. Pryce is on the phone." Buffy got off the bench and grabbed the cordless her mom handed her, giving Giles a quizzical look.

"Wesley?"

"Buffy? Is Faith there? We've been trying to reach her. We tried your new number but it didn't go through, and we just found your mother's number -"

"She's on her way to take her the rest of her GED by now. Are you okay? What's going on?"

"I don't know exactly…but you may want to find her."

Buffy automatically went into panic mode. "Thanks." She hung up.

"What is it?" Giles asked.

"Faith might be in trouble."

"Go."

She started to run, but turned around quickly. "You know I love you, right?"

"I consider you my daughter. I think I always have." She smiled at him through tear-filled eyes. "Hurry."

She ran.

***

Faith was nervous. Really nervous. Everything rested on that stupid test. If she wanted to make something out of herself, she needed, at the very least, a knowledge of all the things taught in high school. At the most, a college level education. But she was taking one step at a time. The first part of the exam wasn't that bad, but the second part was going to be English. That wasn't her strong point.

But she had confidence. Everyone had confidence in her. She was going to do well. As she passed Willy's place, she looked at it with disgust, but also with fond memories. Those demons were scared of her. And that was the way it should be. She was a slayer, part of a team. She had to make sure they knew where their place was. The good guys were in control, and it was going to stay like that.

As she continued to walk, she felt eyes watching her. She stopped, and started to look around. The sun was still shining. Who would risk getting seen now? She gasped in surprise when she felt several hands, and things she was sure weren't hands at all, grabbing her and holding her legs and mouth.

She was pulled into an alley.

***

 Buffy practically flew past the Bronze.

'Damn it! I knew there was something she wasn't telling me. '

Her worry increased, and so did her speed.

"Please let her be alive…please let her be alive…"

***

"Don't kill her." One of them said. "You heard what he said."

Together there were fifteen demons, and they drug Faith deep into the alleyway. The one who was carrying her threw her up against the alley wall. Wasting no time, she found a broken glass shard, jumped up, and slit its throat. He gagged, trying to stop the blood. It did her no good because the other fourteen were backing her into a corner, and began to attack.

No matter how many she threw or kicked away, there was always another one ready to take its place. When the blows got more frequent, she started to slow down, but never gave them the satisfaction of screaming. She had so many thoughts running through her head, that she couldn't concentrate on putting up a decent fight.

'These are the guys from Willy's…I didn't think they had it in them…maybe they don't. Is this because I bought the place? The test. Shit. You've gotten yourself into a real fucked up situation, you know that? There's only one way out of this. What a way to go. Ambushed cause you weren't paying attention.'

Her whole body ached. And hurt. It wasn't letting up. Her face was cut, and would definitely bruise. Her vision was just of claws and fists coming at her. She couldn't pinpoint exactly where the damage had been done, but she was beyond caring. And then suddenly…it was over. Just like that.

She heard clomps of feet and hissing, and it was all gone. She felt someone kneel down beside her, but she couldn't tell who it was.

"You're going to help me. You and your partner."

She knew she recognized the voice, but couldn't place it. Whoever it was had gone just as quickly as he had arrived, and then she heard a voice. If she went deaf she would still be able to hear it. And know it. It was unmistakable.

"God, Faith!" She could feel Buffy's eyes scanning her body to assess her injuries. "I should've…we should get to a -"

Faith had to look her in the eyes. "No. Home."

"But…"

"I'll heal up…there." She tried to stand, but immediately began to fall. Buffy caught her. "Always here for me, B. But go into guilt mode…and…I'll kick…your ass." Faith wheezed.

It all hit Buffy at once, and she embraced Faith. "Don't leave me. I was so scared." Her voice was small. Like a frightened child's.

"Hey…I'm still here, ain't I?" She ran her fingers through Buffy's hair. She winced as Buffy tightened her hold a little. "Don't know what that…was…but…"

"Sorry. It's not that bad." Even though it hurt to laugh, Faith had to chuckle. "You'll be fine."

They began to walk, but Faith wasn't doing too well, so Buffy picked her up, and saw Faith about to protest. "It's this or I go to the nearest phone to get an ambulance and take you to the hospital."

"All right." Faith conceded, in no shape to argue. She switched to angry in the blink of an eye. "The test…damn it…"

"Later, okay? We'll figure it out later."

"There's things…I…gotta tell you."