FIC: The Road to Recovery (2/?)

Title: The Road to Recovery (2/?)
Author: Kimber (kacoe@xxxxxxx)
Disclaimer: All BTVS characters belong to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. If girl-girl
action bothers you then you?re on the wrong list.
else, e-mail me please.
Author's Notes: The more feedback I get the more fic I write. . .nuff said. Thoughts are
enclosed in < >
------------

About 200 miles away, Buffy Summers was in a fight.

?God, Xander!?

?What?!?

?Can?t you think of anything else??

?Hardly.? He smile the oafish smile that had gotten him out of situations like this
countless times.

?Don?t even.? Her arms crossed her chest and she chastised him with a look. The Look.

?Now Buff, don?t give me the Slayer-eyes. You know I get weak in the knees with the
Slayer-eyes.? His expression shifted to wounded puppy. Suddenly he stumbled back and
flopped on the couch. ?See?? He made a grand gesture with his arms to demonstrate his
point.

?Xand. . .? She warned as she crossed the room and sat next to him. ?Men, I swear. They
only have one thing on their minds.?

?If you?re referring to sex then. . .?

?Xander!? She popped him with the pillow.

He held up his hands in defeat. ?Fine, fine. . .don?t tell me. See if I care.? He
crossed his arms and pouted.

She looked at him sympathetically. ?Xander, it?s just weird, that?s all. I mean, I
usually talk to Willow about these things.? She studied her hands. ?I called her, but
Giles said she was studying. Again. All she ever does is study. . .I wonder if you can
go into a coma from excessive studying??

?You hardly have to worry about that.? He smiled but was nailed by the pillow again.
?Ouch! Who knew feathers could be used in hand to hand combat? You know, come to think
of it, I haven?t spoken to Will either. I?ve gotten a few letters but, ? He shrugged.

?I know. The Watcher council must be keeping her real busy.?

?Yeah, but she?s never been too busy for her friends. I wonder if something?s up?? He
fell into thought for a moment. ?And don?t think you?ve gotten out if it by changing the
subject either.?

?Okay, fine. Torture me with a hot poker why don?t you?? She saw the look on his face.
?Don?t even go there.? She warned. They settled down. ?It was. . .nice to see him
again, and strange. It?s been a long time.?

?But you were alright with it?? He shifted from clown to concerned friend-mode.

?Yeah, it was alright, I was alright. We had coffee and talked, that?s all. He?s only in
town for a few weeks. He had some loose ends to tied up. Apparently they?re shutting
down the compound, but I didn?t pump him for information.?

?Well it?s about time. Those commando guys really creeped me out. Especially him. I
didn?t trust him to begin with.?

?Riley was okay. Well, other than not believing me about Professor Walsh in the beginning
and doubting everything our relationship was built on.? She glanced over at Xander?s
unbelieving look. ?He turned out to be okay, Xand. You know that as well as I do.?

?I know, I know. I still have a hard time trusting the guy.?

?So something?s come up. A final project or something and he asked me to help out.?

He arched his eyebrows. ?And you had an incredible moment of clarity and turned him down
flat??

?Not exactly.?

?Buffy.?

?Xander, I owe it to him. He?s helped me out too you know.?

?You?re not doing it unless I get to be involved too.?

?Xand. . .?

?Nope, I?m not budging on this one. I don?t want you alone with him. He?s got shifty
eyes.?

She laughed. ?Actually, he mentioned that you could help. He brought it up.?

He tried to hide the surprise from him voice. ?Really??

?Yes really. He knows our situation and he figured he?d invite you before you got all
postal and invited yourself.?

?I don?t go postal. Overprotective, maybe. Suspicious, definitely. . .especially when it
comes to the Buffster and mysterious men from the past.?

?We?ll meet him for coffee tomorrow at the Espresso Pump. He?ll tell us everything then.
In the mean time, I?m going to bed.? She rose from the couch and gave a little yawn.
?You staying up??

He got up too. ?Nah, I?m wiped out.?

?Yeah, I can see how watching TV all day can really tire a person out.?

?You strike me!?

?You?re lucky I don?t strike you. . .now come on. Walk me to my room and don?t forget to
turn out the lights.?

They walked down the narrow hallway together, stopping at the first door. Buffy reached
up and tousled his hair. He leaned down and she planted a kiss on his forehead. ?Night
Xand.?

He smiled at her before she closed the door. ?Night roomy.? Then he made his way to the
next door and closed it behind him.

-----------

Running. Running, and running and more running. Sweat poured down her forehead and she
wiped it away with her sleeve. As she brought her arm down, she noticed the crimson color
left on the back of her hand and thought that sweat wasn?t supposed to be that color.

Footsteps. Three, maybe four sets of them. Her eyes darted about her, looking for
someplace, anyplace to hide or crawl into until this was over. They were close. . .so
close she could hear their whispering. She pressed herself up against the wall and cursed
silently when she looked down and noticed her coat was gone and the light was illuminating
her white blouse like a beacon on a lighthouse.

They came close and passed. She could smell them. Smell the death lingering on their
clothes. If she got out of this alive she knew she?d never forget that smell.

Two hands grabbed her and she struggled, tried to break free but it was no use. He?d
found her and there was no where left to run. She defiantly looked into his steely blue
eyes and found no remorse, no hesitation. . . She spit in his face and it only made him
laugh.

Suddenly she was thrown to the ground. Absentmindedly she thought about how the stains
would never come out of her jeans and she?d have to throw them away. God! The things you
think about when fighting for your life, your dignity. She tried to scream, but no sound
came out. She was horrified and terrified and prayed to any Gods that would listen that
if she got out of this alive then she?d do her research and put her clothes away and
listen to the professors and everything else a good little Watcher in training was
supposed to do.

He was on top of her, shaking her. He had a death grip on her shoulders and shook her so
hard she almost lost consciousness. She screamed and screamed and screamed. . . on the
inside.

?Willow, wake up.?

She?d been tossing and turning for at least ten minutes now. A thick sheen of sweat
covered her face. Cordelia was shaking her, trying to get her to wake up but so far it
was no use. Suddenly she shot up in bed. ?No! Stop! Don?t!?

?Willow, it?s me. . .Cordelia. Are you Okay?? She touched her shoulder and Willow?s eyes
shot to the brunette in front of her.

?Okay?? She mimicked back. ?Where am I?? She looked around at the unfamiliar
surroundings.

Cordelia rubbed her shoulder, the worry was apparent in her face. ?Will. You?re in my
apartment. Are you okay?? She leaned forward and placed her head on Cordelia?s
shoulder. Awkwardly, Cordelia reached up and rubbed her back. ?Willow, what is it??

She was silent for a few moments. She gathered her bearings and realized where she was
and who?s arms were around her. She jerked back. ?Sorry. Bad dream. Really, really bad
dream.? She was embarrassed by the display. ?I didn?t mean to . . .I didn?t mean to put
you in a bad position I?m sorry not that it was a bad position but it?s just I didn?t mean
to freak you out and the dream was bad, bad dream and I didn?t scare you did I?? <God,
around Cordelia for less than twenty-four hours and you?re already in high school babble
mode. Nice Rosenberg, real nice.> She ran one hand through her hair and noticed how
sweaty she was and made a face.

?It?s fine, Willow, really. I?m not going to come at you with a ripping comment or sly
remark. We all have bad dreams.? She offered a smile. ?Dennis made us breakfast. Why
don?t you hop in the shower and freshen up?? She got up off the bed and walked away. She
turned back a moment. ?I get all yucked up and sweaty when I have nightmares too. You?ll
feel better, I promise.?

Willow was standing in the shower with the water on as hot as her skin could stand it.
She was still having some trouble wrapping herself around the new Cordelia. Angel was
right, she was still Cordelia but different. It was like she was de-thorned or de-clawed.
. .or something like that. She rinsed off the last of the soap, stepped out and toweled
off. She was running through the dream again in her mind. The training she?d received in
the past year had taught her to be more analytical of everything, even things she took
personally. Each time she had the nightmare, she remembered more and more of the
encounter, the attack. She shuddered a little then shook it off as she pulled her pajamas
back on. For now, she?d put it out of her mind. She?d have no choice but to think about
it soon enough.

Cordelia was sitting at the kitchen table and syrup had just floated over to the table.
?Thanks.? She continued to read the paper.

Willow sat down. ?I don?t think I?ll ever get used to that.?

?Dennis? You will. He?s a great roommate. A little jealous at times, but great over
all.? She smiled at nothing in particular. A warm breeze passed by both of them.
?Sorry, Dennis. . .I didn?t mean to embarrass you.?

Willow smiled to herself and they ate breakfast in compatible silence. They both
finished and were reading the paper, slowly sipping the coffee that had been served to
them moments before. Willow looked up at her. ?You know. . .had I said I?d be having
breakfast with Cordelia Chase in L.A. with her ghost roommate a year ago, I would have
been committed.?

She smiled and looked up from her paper. ?Tell me about it. When I graduated high school
I never would have guessed I?d be working for Angel. Now look at me, office gal with her
dead boss the vampire.?

They loaded up the dishwasher together. After that, Cordelia decided that Willow needed
to be shown around L.A. properly. Willow protested a bit but Queen C won out and sent her
to their room to change.

KNOCK, KNOCK.

Cordelia opened the door. ?Angel??

?Hey.? He walked in past her and stood in the middle of the room. ?Where?s Willow??

?Changing and I thought you avoided mornings. . .I know how you are in the morning plus
the whole sun factor.?

?It?s important. We have a situation.?

?The woman last night??

Willow emerged from the bedroom. ?Good morning, Angel.? She smiled but still found it
peculiar to see him at this hour.

?I need your help with something. This case is getting stranger and stranger by the
minute. What can you tell me about The Initiative??

Her mouth opened but no sound came out. She gathered up all the thoughts that flooded her
mind and tried to form sentences. ?The Initiative??

?Apparently it?s some covert military operation designed by the government to capture
demons, vampires, imps. . .you name it they take them in alive.?

?I know. They?re based in Sunnydale.? She still couldn?t believe this conversation.

?The woman I found last night. . .her husband wasn?t the one that worked her over. It was
the Initiative. They tried to kill her and the baby. The husband fought them off and was
hurt pretty badly himself. He?s at the hotel with her now. He was trying to get them to
safety when the clan discovered where they were. To top it off, he says that this
Initiative is after them for research.?

?I remember. They catch them, but don?t kill them. They take them to a laboratory and
study them, to find out what makes them tick. Generally, they just do tests, it doesn?t
sound like the Initiative to try and kill them. Are you sure it?s them??

?Positive. This guys clan, the Badahu demons, they?re peaceful. He?s just trying to earn
an honest living and raise his family. They?ve been moving around for the past year and a
half with the Initiative on their tails.?

?Just like with Doyle. . .but with camouflage?? Cordelia spoke to no one in particular.

Angel nodded his head sadly. ?Yeah. Anyway, they?re safe now, but I can?t guarantee for
how long. Before you say it, Cordelia, it has nothing to do with the Scourge. This is
completely government run.?

Willow cut in. ?Riley.?

Angel turned to her. ?Who??

?Riley. Riley Finn. He went to College with Buffy and I. He was an agent for the
Initiative. If anyone would have information it would be him.?

?How do we track him down??

?We don?t. After college he took over the operation. As far as I know he?s still in. .
.? She stopped herself and looked at him apologetically.

He caught on. ?Sunnydale.? She nodded. ?So, I guess we?re in for a road trip.?

Willow shook her head. ?Angel, I can?t. No one knows I?m here, not even Buffy.?

?Don?t worry about it, Willow. She won?t see you, I promise. I was stealth guy during
that whole Indian incident a few years ago. Remember??

?I remember Xander seeing you and spilling everything.?

?They won?t see you, I promise. I know you?re here for yourself and I wouldn?t ask if it
wasn?t important.?

She cut him off. ?I know.? She paced a bit then stopped in front of him. ?So who?ll
take the first driving shift??

-----------------

?. . .So you?re killing them now?? Xander took another sip of his espresso.

?Well, not exactly. They?re not exactly HST?s.? He was having trouble explaining without
giving too much away.

Buffy looked over to him. ?So what exactly are they, Riley? And how exactly are you not
killing them?? She knew him well enough that he wasn?t giving them the information
freely.

?Look, demons. . .the Initiative has always been able to handle them. We leave the humans
to the public authorities but this is. . .different.?

?Again, how is it different and why are you being cryptic about it?? Xander had just
about had it. They?d been talking in circles for about an hour and were getting no where.

?That?s classified.?

?Your being cryptic is now suddenly classified information?? He shook his head and got
up. ?Come on, Buffy, this guy doesn?t really want our help.?

?No, wait.? Riley rose too. ?I, I want to tell you, but. . .? He looked around
suspiciously. ?Fine. Come on. It would be better if I showed you.?

Buffy and Xander looked at each other for a moment then got up and followed him. The walk
to campus was short. Buffy and Riley walked it almost instinctively having gone there for
four years. They arrived at the house and walked through to the mirror. Riley had his
retinal scan approved and they got in the elevator.

?Gee, I have not so fond memories of this place.? Buffy made a face.

Riley looked over at her. ?Sorry. It?s the only way.?

They got out and Riley led them over to a door. He swiped his card and held it open for
them. They walked through a corridor to a small room. Inside, there were about six or
seven scientists looking into another room through a large window. Riley pointed to it.
?We can see them, they can?t see us.?

?Has that whole interrogation room feel to it. Scary, antiseptic interrogation room.?

Buffy poked him. ?Shh, Xander.? She turned her attention to Riley. ?What?s going on??

?Well, at first glance, it would appear that we?re about to witness a woman giving birth.?

?Cool.? Xander got out before he got poked again.

?It is a woman giving birth, but with a twist. She?s being used as a containment for a
small HST.? Buffy looked at him confused. ?Basically she had sex with a demon and is
giving birth to it?s spawn.?

?Eww!? She covered her mouth with her hand but not before receiving looks from the other
people in the room. She whispered to Riley. ?Why would a human want to have sex with a
demon? That?s. . .so not natural.? Xander cleared his throat and she shot him a look.
He gave her that ?I know what you know? look and it dawned on her. <Angel.> She gave him
a sheepish grin and turned back to Riley. ?So what?s the what? Why do you need us??

?Fortunately, these things haven?t been procreating for very long. We?ve discovered that
the incubation period is the same as a human child. If the spawn is taken away from the
human mother, it dies within five hours, probably from lack of nourishment.? He pointed
to the window where they were beginning the procedure. ?The woman is under anaesthesia,
the spawn is taken by cesarian section and brought to a confined area. It?s left there
until all signs of life have diminished totally.? He stopped speaking as the small demon
was lifted out of the woman. ?It?s in true form when it?s born . . .demon form. It
doesn?t have the ability or knowledge to change until it?s reached puberty. The woman
will be taken to another room where the memory of all this will be stripped away. As far
as she?ll know, she?s been in a state of amnesia for the past year. We?ll help her
recover and send her on her way.? The mini-demon was taken out of the room. He turned
back to Buffy and Xander. ?We need your help to track the males. As far as our research
tells us, it?s only one breed of demon that?s doing this. We?ve had little success so far
because it?s very difficult for us to go out in civilian clothes and be ready for an
attack by the male. I thought that if you helped, you could track it and we could do the
rest.?

?Sound?s easy enough.? Buffy commented and looked at Xander.

?I don?t know, Buff. I don?t like the fact that this gets you back in the middle of
commando land.?

?She won?t be in the middle of it. All she has to do is find out where the males are
dwelling and we?ll do the rest. In and out, nice and clean.? He tried for a reassuring
tone.

?Not without me.? Xander said levelly.

Riley shook his head. ?Not with out you. That?s why you?re here.?

Xander looked at Riley then back to Buffy. ?I don?t see why we can?t do a little re-con.
I?ve been bored lately. What do you say, Buffy??

She looked up at Riley. ?I think you?ve got yourself two trackers, Agent.?

?Great. We?ll head to the debreifing room and tell you what we have so far.? Riley led
the way out of the room to a larger conference room and began to tell them the plan.