FIC: Militat omnis amans (Every lover is a warrior) Part 6/?

Militat omnis amans (Every lover is a warrior) Part 6/?
K. Beckett © 2000

Disclaimers:
Buffy, Willow and all of the other characters and places from the show
belong to Joss Whedon, WB and Mutant Enemy etal. Everyone and everything
else is mine. None of my characters are meant to resemble anyone living,
dead or un-dead, if you see yourself you are looking way too hard.

This story contains sexual acts between consenting adult women, and was
written in a jurisdiction where it was legal to do so. If this offends you,
don't read.

Rating:
PG-13ish, not much sticky stuff this time folks, but lots of ritual action.

Other:
The Latin and Gaelic are mine; I take the responsibility for any
translations of them. In addition, the descriptions of the rituals, spells
and other craft work come from my traditions, so please don't take offence
if something described here does not match your traditions or what you think
it should.

Archiving etc.:
Ask and I will say yes.

Spoilers and other ramblings:
Everything up to the middle of season four - I diverge then.

Thanks to all who have commented, I appreciate everything that was said. As
before, all meaningful criticism, support and suggestions are welcome.

Please be patient, it takes me awhile to get everything down, as I have very
little free time for writing.

Please note that things perceived by characters other than by the five
acknowledge senses have been enclosed in < >, in addition, the ritual I have
detailed in this chapter has been done in English, rather than the Gaelic
that would be usually used for the spoken parts.

mailto:kevin.beckett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:kevin.beckett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
A priori:

Buffy and Willow were nearly driven insane by the results of what Buffy had
to do to heal Willow. They have been able to build the necessary tools to
maintain their sanity while using their new gift to its greatest potential.
They have also become involved sexually with Aiofe and Bridie, and have
learned that they are not in fact servants, rather they are also mages. The
demon army has struck and Willow has been put in charge of a strike force
tasked with the job of closing the hell-mouths. The two women have also
discovered another side effect of their link, they are both pregnant, how
and why has yet to be determined.

Synopsis for part VI:

Willow leads her strike force towards the first of the hell-mouths. She
will gain some experience in dealing with the amount of power she now has
available to her. Buffy chafes under the restrictions of the mage's
counsel, and Willow will find a way of handling her annoyance. The two
women will start to come to terms with their pregnancies, and will try to
determine exactly how they became pregnant. Buffy will be initiated as a
priestess, or will she.

Part VI - Dux femina facti (A woman was the leader of the endeavour)
I sat on the mountainside with peace of mind
I lay by the ocean making love to her with visions clear
Walked for days with no one near
And I return as chained and bound to you

Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover
Sophie B. Hawkins, tongues and tails
© 1992 Sony Music Entertainment Inc.

In a brightly lit tavern seven people sit around a table eating supper and
chatting softly. At a nearby table, four others are also sitting and
eating, while keeping careful watch on the occupants of the first table.
The tavern is located in an old four-story inn in the town of Smiths
Crossing. The building housing the inn is a double-bricked post and beam
structure with large windows and a slate roof. The tavern was designed to
serve not only the guests of the inn but also the townspeople, and is a
cheery place, capable of seating forty or so people. This night the people
sitting at the two tables, the other guests of the inn having eaten and
retired to their rooms earlier, are the only ones to occupy it. The trestle
tables that the guests are sitting at are made of heavy pine, and their
wooden captain's chairs are padded, well worn and very comfortable. The
lighting is provided by three large overhead candelabras, and augmented by
two large fireplaces. Outside the late winter wind howls down the streets
and occasionally rattles the thick panes of window glass. The food being
served by the waitresses is hot, hearty and plentiful; the inn has a
reputation for providing excellent board and bread, and being only one day
from the Capital it is usually full to capacity. These are not usual times,
and everyone in the inn is aware that only the night before the demon armies
had struck, and were even now on the way to lay siege to the Capital.

Most of the non-combatants in the city and in the surrounding towns and
villages had been evacuated South, away from the approaching army. The inn,
however, is in the direct path of the approaching army, being North of the
city. The inn will be evacuated in the morning, with the staff and most of
the guests heading south; that is all but the guests eating their late
dinner.

The larger group are talking about several pressing issues, primarily the
impending war and their role in it. They have also been celebrating the
news that two of their number are expecting, probably around the Winter
Solstice.
"I still can't believe it," Willow exclaimed to the assembled members of her
strike-force, "I mean, how?"
"We've been over this love," replied Buffy, who was herself still very
confused by the situation.
"I know," replied the arch-mage, "but just saying it has to do with the link
between us still doesn't answer the how."
"It's the only answer we have right now though."
"But I'm not ready to be a mother," Willow said, the terror of the unknown
evident in her voice, "I mean, what do I do, how do I do it?"
"I'm not ready either," Buffy said comfortingly, "but we'll deal, like we
have always done."

Both women had woken up that morning with Willow's unanswered question of
the night before first in their minds. They had done without their usual
exercise routine and had quickly bathed and gone of in search of Amana.
They correctly assumed that the older woman would be the best person to
discuss the subject with. Amana had not disappointed them. After a series
of questions to determine if they had had any male sexual partners in the
previous month, she had performed a simple pregnancy test spell, which had
indicated that the two of them were somehow pregnant. After conversing
briefly with Grael, the three women decided that detailed questioning would
have to wait since they were leaving before noon to head North to the first
hell-mouth. The rest of the morning had been spent in hectic preparation
for the trip; co-ordinating with the military for the needed communication
codes, collecting Daithi and the other three guardsmen and finally packing,
mounting up and heading out on the Northern road. One surprise that morning
had been the addition of the Sage Frankel to the party. He had asked to
join them since they would probably need his specialized knowledge for some
of the work they were going to do. Once they had left the city they
initially travelled with a reinforced company of troops, which was going out
to support the delaying tactics that were being employed by the army, which
were being used to give Willow time to start closing the hell-mouths. They
had met a constant stream of people heading away from the impending conflict
and back into the city and as a result of this traffic had only made the
town of Smiths Crossing just as night was falling.

Thinking back on their journey Willow commented, "I still can't get over the
people we met on the road today. I mean they were desperate, scared and
trying to carry everything they owned on their backs."
"War brings out the worst in society," commented Aiofe, who was sitting
between Bridie and Willow, "it is especially bad on the civilian
population."
"Particularly if your enemy has sworn to kill everyone," commented Frankel,
"the demons have never attempted to hide the fact that their goal is to have
all humankind dead or enslaved to them."
"I guess that's where we come in," commented Willow, "I mean we, or rather
I, have to give these people enough time to get to safety."
"That's work for tomorrow," Amana said, "but, I think that details can wait
until we are closer to the hell-mouth. I think that we should spend some
time on another subject."
"What would that be," asked Buffy.
"Well," the older woman replied tentatively, "we've never really had the
time to discuss the matter, what with both you and Willow so sick, and in
truth we don't even know if we have the right to bring it up."
"And that is?"
"The ethics of your actions towards Willow."
"What!"
"You have got to be kidding," interjected Willow dumbfounded, "I mean she
healed me, when everyone else, myself included, was thinking I was going to
die."
"I understand," replied Grael, "but the fact of the matter is that she used
magic on you without your permission, and that is against the laws of the
counsel."
"The counsel be dammed," replied the offended slayer, "I did what needed to
be done. Its not like I knew what I was doing."
"We understand," Amana said, "and we are not trying to reprimand you."
"It certainly sounds that way," replied a hurt Willow. It was looking like
another group of people were trying to meddle in her life, again.
"Don't take us wrong Willow," pleaded Amana, "we are not angry that you were
healed, its just that as a result of Buffy's actions we have been rethinking
some of our premises."
"Huh."
"We realised that our prohibition against using magic without the other
person's consent had to have this situation as an exception," replied Amana,
"and we are going to train other mages to become healers, since Buffy has
now demonstrated that it is possible."
"Oh," said Buffy, "well as long as they don't have the side-effects Willow
and I had. I can't see any harm in having other people who are able to
heal."
"There is one other thing," said Grael, "that we would like to see happen."
"And that is?"
"We would like to see you initiated as soon as possible," replied the older
man, "We think that it will help you and Willow in the upcoming work."
"Ok," replied the slayer, "when?"
"Tonight," replied Amana, " we will have to wait another four hours till the
moon is right, so I suggest that the four of you bathe and get some rest."
"Sounds good to me," commented Willow, "after all before we crossed over to
this Earth that was our plan."
"Okay by me," agreed Buffy as she stood up from the table, "lets go dears,
to the baths."

With that the four young women, followed by three of the guardsmen from the
other table, left the tavern and headed upstairs to their lodgings for the
evening. Grael had previously arranged for the eleven of them to have four
suites, however, with the rush of people trying to leave the area and head
to safety the inn was over-booked so they had to make do with only two
rooms. The four young women were staying in one of them, with Amana, Grael
and Frankel in the other. Daithi had decided that he and his guardsmen
would sleep in the hallway, in front of the doors to the rooms, as guards
and as a precaution against any otherworldly intruders. The suites were
luxurious, and in addition to a small sitting area, each had its own private
bath. The four women quickly bathed and headed off to their large
king-sized bed. They decided that sleep was going to have to take a
priority and therefore settled for snuggling into each other as they drifted
off to sleep.

< You up for this Buff? >
< I guess, bit scared though. >
< How's that? >
< It's just different, that's all. I mean that when you were going to
initiate me at Imbolg it was going to be with all of our friends and
something special. Here it's like its rushed and almost an afterthought. >
< I'll make it special, I promise. >
< Okay, see you in a couple of hours, love. > Buffy mentally caressed her
lover with gentle loving emotions and was able to boost Willow's endorphins,
just a little bit, < Oops, bad Buffy, didn't ask permission first, will you
forgive me? >
< Always, for anything. >

With their brief mental conversation concluded, the two young women drifted
off to sleep. Meanwhile the three older mages were deep in preparations for
the upcoming ritual. They had discussed matters with the innkeeper and had
arranged for the use of the tavern's common room. Currently two of the
cooks were clearing out tables, while the waitresses were busy washing the
floors.

"How are we going to proceed," Grael asked Amana as they were arranging
candles and other items on a table that they were going to use as an
improvised Alter.
"I think the best method is for us to set-up and then let Willow proceed,"
she replied after a moments pause.
"I agree," replied Frankel who was helping to set up the room for the
evenings work by arranging improvised candle stands in the four quarters,
"after all Buffy is unlikely to fully trust anyone else other than Willow,
given that either you or I will have to be in the centre with them."
"You're right," agreed the other man, "with Aiofe and Bridie as our only
other mages we are going to have only a half circle anyways, the less
distractions we have to work with the better."

"Do we have everything we are going to need," asked Daithi who had just come
into the tavern, after arranging security with the other guardsmen for the
ritual.
"Yes," answered Amana, "what I don't have in my travel kit, I will be able
to find in the kitchen here." She paused for a moment, "Given the potential
for interference tonight I trust that you were planning on acting as the
Summoner for the ritual?"
"I wouldn't have it any other way," Daithi replied as he sat down by one of
the fireplaces signalling to one of the waitresses for a beer, "I'll keep
watch for now, why don't you three go on upstairs and grab a quick nap, I
have a feeling you are going to need the energy."

The other three agreed that a nap would be useful and headed upstairs.
Daithi sat quietly thinking about the events that had happened, and what the
group of them was planning to do. He thought over their chances and decided
that they would have a good chance to close the first transfer portal, but
after Willow closed it, things would get rough. He figured their chances,
and by extension humanities, was about one in six in surviving long enough
to close all of the hell-mouths.

Later that evening, about a half-hour to the moon's zenith, Willow felt a
soft, feather light caress on her cheek. Brushing it off with a
"Shadow-cat, go away, I want to sleep," was not successful, as the touch
returned. Half waking she opened her eyes, and although she still felt the
touch could not see what was causing it, < Buffy! Where are you, and what
are you doing? >
< In the bath love. Amana dropped of the herbs and stuff for the ritual
bath, I'm just about done, and I figured you should get up and get going. >
< Okay, Okay, I'm up, but what are you doing, > Willow was being driven to
distraction since she was still feeling the light touch on her cheek and
neck.
< Why caressing you. >
< But HOW. >
< Don't shout love, I'm using an extension of the shield thingy that Amana
taught me. I figured it might be useful to have a tool to do things like
open doors and stuff, where I might get hurt if I opened it myself. >
< Great idea, love. Now out of the bath - it's my turn now. Is everyone
else done? >
"Yes sleepy head," Buffy answered entering the bedroom, "only you are left."
"Ok then, I hope that they will let me lead tonight," Willow said as she
stripped off her sleeping attire.
"They will," Buffy replied drying off and looking for her ritual robe in her
luggage, "Aiofe was talking to Amana and was told that you will lead, and
that you get to choose who else to work with you."
"Cool, I think." Willow jumped into the tepid bath and began to wash with
the ritual herbs and oils, "I don't think they are going to like my choices
though," she continued cryptically.
"How's that?"
"You'll see," Willow replied with an impish smile crossing her face, "now
scoot downstairs and get ready."
"Yes massa." < Love you. >
< I love you too, you remember everything we discussed about this? >
< Yes, don't worry, everything will be fine. >

Downstairs, waiting for the two principal participants, were the other five
members of the group who would be taking part in the ritual.
"Evening Buffy," Aiofe called out as she crossed over to kiss her, "where's
Willow?"
"Witch girl will be down in a minute, she was just finishing up in the bath
as I left." Buffy was wearing only her ritual robe as Willow had
instructed. She was just a little cold and immediately went over to stand
in front of the fireplace.

"I'm here," Willow said as she joined the other, "how much time do we have?"
"About fifteen minutes," Amana replied, "I trust that Buffy told you that
you will lead tonight?"
"Yes," Willow said, "and I think that I'm going to break with tradition in
my working partner."
"How's that," Grael asked wondering what exactly they were getting into.
"Well the way I was looking at it, I want to balance things as best I can,"
she replied as she motioned for everyone to join her in the centre of the
tavern, "so the way I'm going to work it is as follows: I'm going to put you
in the North Grael, with Amana balancing you in the South. With the
importance of tonight's work, and that Buffy will be invoking the guardians
of the East, I need to have Frankel in that quarter. Bridie, you will take
up the West. Aiofe will join me in the centre. This way I think that I
have the best balance of power, gender and experience." She looked around
at the others, and seeing no obvious signs of opposition continued, "okay
then, lets get to it. I trust that everything has been cleaned," seeing an
answering nod from Amana, "right, I'll ask Frankel and you Bridie to see to
the candles, while Amana and I take care of the runes."
"That leaves me to brief and ward the Summoner," commented Grael, "while
Aiofe prepares Buffy. Good plan Willow." Grael was seeing Willow coming
into her own as the arch-mage, and that she was quickly learning to take
command of situations, becoming the leader that they would need in the days
to come. This was one of the reasons for the initiation tonight, and he was
happy to see that he and Amana were correct in their assumptions and
decisions.

They quickly got to work and within a few minutes had all taken up their
appropriate places. Daithi and Buffy were outside of the circle, waiting
for their part in the ritual. Willow and Aiofe were in the centre with the
others at the quarters. Willow, looking to Amana for confirmation of the
timing, began the ritual as the moon was reaching its zenith, starting with
the preparatory breathing exercises and chants. After very little time she
was able to sense that the six of them were ready to proceed. She and Aiofe
then cast the circle and returned to centre to draw in the energy. The
energy she collected was tremendous, far more than she had ever collected
before, and she paused to think, "if this is what I'm collecting from a
half-circle what would the energy from a full or double circle be like?"

Willow grounded herself, and cast the sphere that would protect them and the
mundane world from potential harm due to the magic they were about to
perform. As she was casting the sphere she was able to actually see the
manifestation of her abilities when a blue-tinged transparent dome appeared
over them. Willow began to pour the collected power into the sphere, and as
she did so, the dome started to become opaque.
"This is new," she commented allowed, "I've never seen the shield become
actually visible before."
"It's new to us too," Amana said with the awe in her voice very evident,
"I've never even heard of it happening."

Willow took up Grael's sword, which she had borrowed for the ritual, and
began the process of invoking the guardians. Starting in the East she
raised the sword and called out for the Guardian of the East to attend her
in her work, "Guardian of the Air, I beseech you to come near and watch over
our work tonight. You are the strength that is subtle, the giver of life
sustaining air; you are the one without whom we would perish. You who are
the herald of Autumn, in whom we trust the bounty of the Earth." Willow
used the sword to etch in the air the symbol for the Guardian, as she did so
a pale yellow flame briefly followed the tip of the sword and for a moment
the symbol hung in the air, visible to all.

She then moved to the South and called for that Guardian to attend to her
with, "Guardian of the Fire, I beseech you to come near and watch over our
work tonight. You are the strength that burns, the giver of life sustaining
heat; you are the one without whom we would perish. You who are the herald
of Summer, in whom we trust the growth of the Earth." As before, when Willow
traced the symbol in the air a pale red flame followed the tip of the sword
and briefly hung in the air before her.

As she approached the West she felt just a little bit apprehensive, very
unusual things were happening in this ritual, and she was not at all certain
of where it might all lead. However, she knew that she would have to finish
what she had started and so called to the Guardian of the West with,
"Guardian of the Water, I beseech you to come near and watch over our work
tonight. You are the strength that is fluid, the giver of life sustaining
water; you are the one without whom we would perish. You who are the herald
of Spring, in whom we trust the rebirth of the Earth." A blue flame hung in
the air as Willow traced the symbol.

Finally Willow travelled to the North to call out the last Guardian with,
"Guardian of the Earth, I beseech you to come near and watch over our work
tonight. You are the strength that is solid, the giver of life sustaining
reserves; you are the one without whom we would perish. You who are the
herald of Winter, in whom we trust the renewal of the Earth." With this
final invocation a green symbol was traced in the air.

Willow returned to the centre of the circle and prepared to ask the summoned
Guardians to bring forth their power for the work she was going to do. She
had given this some thought, and had decided to initiate Buffy as more than
a priestess, she was going to attempt to bind Buffy's magic with her
fighting abilities. She was going to initiate her as a warrior-mage, a
difficult procedure, but one she innately knew she would be able to
complete. She had not discussed this with Amana or Grael, she figured that
they would be against it, and since she was not feeling all that charitable
to them just now, decided they would learn when she started the ritual.

She gathered in the power and called out to the Guardians, "Guardians, I
beseech you to lend me your strength as we work together to initiate this
supplicant into the mysteries of the great work. May you help us to bring
to her the knowledge and understanding she will need in order to complete
her responsibilities here. For she is to be that which is whispered, that
which is feared by all enemies and that which is the curse of demon kind
everywhere. She is to be the demon-bane, the slayer, the warrior-mage."

Both Amana and Grael were startled by the invocation, and by the events that
had happened so far in the ritual. They knew the power that Willow had, and
had been prepared for an intense ceremony. However, the visible
manifestation of the shield, and the visible symbols of the Guardians were
beyond their expectations. They were surprised by Willow's decision to
initiate Buffy as a warrior-mage, but, unlike what Willow had been thinking,
were not against the idea and were willing to wait a little longer before
asking any questions.

As Willow finished her invocation four pillars of light appeared outside of
the circle; in the North a pillar of green appeared, in the East a
translucent yellow one. To the South, a pulsating crimson pillar, and in
the West a shimmering blue pillar joined the others.

At this point all of the participants in the circle paused, and Amana
decided that waiting for answers was no longer an option asking, "Willow,
what is going on here?"
"I don't know," the equally confused arch-mage replied, "has this ever
happened before?"
Not in recent history," replied Frankel, "only in our legends has this ever
happened before."
"Oh," Willow replied softly, "well, I've started and I guess we had better
finish. Is Daithi ready with Buffy?"
"Yes he is," replied Grael, "I hope you have no other surprises for us
tonight dear. I mean seeing actual manifestations of the Guardians is
surprising enough."
"I'm not planning any, and to be truthful, I am as surprised as everyone
else."

Willow began to centre herself again, in order to focus her mind on the task
ahead. When she felt ready to continue she took Aiofe by the hand, went
over to the Northeast edge of the circle, and called out, "Summoner, is the
initiate ready?"

Buffy and Daithi had been standing quietly by the fireplace meditating in
preparation for their parts in the ritual. Daithi had watched with surprise
the visible demonstrations of the power being raised, and wondered briefly
if all of this was a good idea. The disruptions being made in the magical
universe was certain to be a flag to any demons in the area that something
was going on. He tightened his grip on his sword, and kept a closer eye on
the windows and doors to the tavern. He also hoped that his guardsmen were
also alert and keeping an eye on things outside.

Buffy had been quietly watching the proceedings, thinking about the upcoming
ritual and trying to remember all that would be required of her. She and
Willow had had several discussions both here and in Sunnydale about the
initiation. But at no time had Willow mentioned anything about visible
domes or pillars of light. She wasn't worried as she had complete faith and
trust in her lover and in her abilities. Still when the call came to the
Summoner she felt her heart race, just a little bit.

"Yes," he replied as he first blindfolded her, and then bound her hands in
front of her; he then grasped her by the arm and brought her before the
circle. Willow cut a gate in the circle saying, "then bring her forward and
allow her to enter our sacred circle." As she did so, blue flame chased up
the edge of the sword and remained visible in the air, outlining a door in
the shield. Daithi pushed Buffy forward so that she was standing on the
edge of the circle, when Willow suddenly raised her sword and placed the
point of it at Buffy's heart. "Better for you to fall upon my sword now if
you come here with anything but love in your heart. Do you come in peace
and love?"
"I do," replied the slayer.
"Then enter of your own free will, for once upon this path you may not
return. Summoner, remain behind to protect us and guard this gate in the
sacred circle."

Willow stood aside to allow Buffy to enter into the circle, as she did so
Daithi turned so that his back was to the circle and he was blocking the
gate with his body.

Willow now prepared to administer the blessings and the oaths, while she did
so the other members of the group silently meditated and prayed for their
new sister on the path. Willow cut off Buffy's ritual robe and led her to
the centre of the circle. She then knelt down in front of her while Aiofe
took up her place behind Buffy with the sword resting on Buffy's shoulder,
the edge pressed hard against her neck. Willow kissed Buffy's feet and
said, "Blessed be, these feet, for they will walk the path of the Goddess.
Do you willingly take up this path?"
"I do," replied Buffy.
Willow then kissed Buffy's knees saying, "Blessed be, these knees, for they
will bend in supplication to the Goddess. Do you willingly take up this
path?"
"I do."
Kissing Buffy's stomach, just at the navel, she said, "Blessed be, this
womb, for it will bring forth life as the Goddess wills. Do you willingly
take up this path?"
"I do."
Willow stood up and kissed the hollow above Buffy's breasts saying, "Blessed
be, this heart, for it will beat in service to the Goddess. Do you
willingly take up this path?"
"I do."
Willow removed Buffy's blindfold, and kissed her between the eyes saying,
"Blessed be, these eyes, for they will see in the light of the Goddess. Do
you willingly take up this path?"
"I do."
Finally, Willow kissed Buffy on the forehead saying, "Blessed be, this mind,
for it will seek knowledge in the name of the Goddess. Do you willingly
take up this path?"
Buffy replied for a seventh time, "I do."
"Then know this," continued Willow, "you have sworn seven times that you
will willingly taking up this path. If you fail to do as you have sworn,
you will be cursed for all time, and you will never know the joy of re-birth
or the never-ending love of the Goddess. I ask you one last time, do you
willingly take up this path?"
"I do."

Willow went over to the alter and returned with her ritual knife, she stood
in front of Buffy and as she cut the rope that bound her hands said, "You
have accepted to act and work with the Goddess always first in your mind. I
therefore release you from your bounds and welcome you into our fellowship."
While she was saying this, Aiofe went over and re-sealed the circle, after
inviting Daithi into it. After the circle was re-sealed Willow said to
everyone, "Blessed be, I ask you all to now welcome our sister on the path,
show her that her love is returned and shared by all."

Everyone else now took the opportunity to come up to Buffy, each
congratulating her and giving her a hug and a kiss. When they had all
finished, they returned to their places as Willow began the next part of the
initiation ritual.

"Initiate, you who are called Elizabeth, are you ready to proceed into the
mysteries of our path?"
"I am."
"Then," she said handing Buffy a new robe, "re-clothe yourself and prepare
to take your vow."

Buffy dressed in her new plain white robe and wrapped the silk cord once
around her body. Turning to the East she said her vows, "Blessed be,
Guardian of the Air, hear my vow, and grant my request. I swear that I will
always follow the path, use my gifts for the good of humanity and never bow
to the temptations of evil. You are the source of my power, you are the
giver of life sustaining air. Grant me the wisdom to use my skills wisely.
Grant me the understanding to find my way on the path. Grant me the
strength to fight the enemies of humanity."

As Buffy finished her vow, the column of yellow light that was standing in
the East solidified and created an extension that reached out from it, going
through the shield, to touch Buffy on the head. Buffy would have collapsed
to the floor if it hadn't been for Willow and Aiofe reaching out to support
her. As they held her up, everyone noticed that Buffy's hair had turned
white where the Guardian had touched it.

"You ok," Willow asked her lover softly.
"Yeah," Buffy replied shaking her head gently, as if to clear out the
cobwebs, "that was... intense."
"Are you able to continue," he soul-mate asked, "we can take a break if you
need it."
"No, its ok. Let's go on."

"All right then, on to the home stretch." Returning to the alter she sat
down on the floor, indicating to Aiofe and Buffy that they should sit on
either side of her. The others gathered in front of the alter and sat down
waiting expectantly, since none of them had ever been involved in the
initiation of a warrior-mage.

Willow paused for a moment to collect her thoughts then began her discourse
with "Blessed be."
"Blessed be," replied the others.
"We are gathered in this place and time as participants in the making of a
warrior-mage, this is a difficult and perhaps dangerous undertaking. We
must ask the Guardians to bind Buffy's power to her slaying abilities, and
to give her the knowledge and strength to use them. Do you have any
questions?"
"Yes Willow," asked Grael, "why didn't you talk about this before?"
"Good question Grael," Willow replied, "primarily because I didn't really
think about it till tonight, and second, I wasn't certain if I would be
leading tonight, nor what your response would be."
"We would have given it some thought," answered Amana, "but we would have
agreed. In fact, we would have suggested it ourselves, if we had thought
about it."
"Alright, I apologize for not telling you sooner," Willow said to the group,
"I am a bit worried about what has been happening tonight, but lets hope
that everything turns out ok."

"Now," she continued, "we come to the next part of the ritual, we are going
to start by having Buffy lie before the alter, on an East-West axis. Then
we will perform a binding ritual with the sword. Grael, I'm going to ask
you to sacrifice your sword, ok?"
"Fine with me, what is going to happen to it?"
"If everything works, it will essentially become part of Buffy's essence."
"What!!," asked a surprised slayer.
"It's just that you will be able to draw on its strength, and by extension
the strength of the Guardians when you face the demon hordes."
"Ok, then," Buffy replied, "just as long as I don't become some sort of
'bionic slayer'."
"No," Willow replied, "we had enough of that with Ted."
"Ted?" Amana wordlessly asked Grael, who replied with a shake of his head
and a hunching of his shoulders.

"Now, Buffy, lie on the floor," Willow asked softly, "everyone else back to
your places."

Once everyone was ready Willow took the sword and set it on top of Buffy
with the pommel resting between her breasts and the blade pointing towards
her sex.

< This going to take long love, this floor is COLD! >
< No sweetie, about ten minutes, if everything goes ok. >

Willow centred herself, and the circle, and once again drew up the power
from the others. When she felt ready she began the spell that would give to
Buffy the powers of a warrior mage.

"Mighty Goddess in your role as the warrior maiden," Willow began, "I ask
you and your Guardians to grant me my petition. It is only due to our great
need that we seek to have this initiate transformed into the role of a
warrior mage," as Willow began her spell the four pillars of light flared,
then solidified, "give to her the ability to combine her great strengths and
abilities to be a force for good, and to aid our civilization in its
struggles against the demons who plague us." Willow turned to Buffy and
began the litany:
"Initiate, do you promise to always use your strength in the service of the
Goddess and her Guardians?"
"I do."
"Do you promise to uphold the rights of all against tyranny and oppression?"
"I do."
"Do you promise to think only of others, and not yourself when exercising
your powers?"
"I do."
"Do you promise to do all that you can to eradicate the enemies of
humanity?"
"I do."

As Willow was reciting the litany the Guardians began pulsating, and it
appeared that the elements themselves were rising up against the inn. The
occupants of the circle could feel the wind shake the building, the rain
pounding against the windows, the earth tremble and the fireplaces flared up
with the flames dancing to music only they could hear.

"Do you promise to only tell the truth," Willow pressed on, trying to ignore
what was happening outside of the circle, "when asked about the Goddess and
her servants?"
"I do."
"Do you promise to teach others on their journey on the path, if you are
called to do so?"
"I do."

Just as Buffy finished speaking the wind which had been rattling the
shutters over the windows forced open the windows and swirled into the
tavern, causing the four pillars of light to flare up in response. The wind
forced its way into the circle and under Buffy. Suddenly Buffy was
levitated into the air and crucified in mid-air, ten feet above the heads of
the others, on an invisible cross. Somehow the sword stayed where Willow
had placed it, it appeared as if it was welded to Buffy's body.

Everyone stood speechless at this latest spectacle, Willow, very worried
now, sent a tentative, < you ok Buff? >
< Fine, I should be terrified, but somehow I feel nothing but peace. >
< How are you being supported? >
< Let me tell you witch-girl, if you don't know, why do you think I would? >
< Wishful thinking I guess. > Looking over at Grael, she asked, "you have
any ideas?"
"None," he replied a little fear creeping into his voice, "this is beginning
to scare me though."
"Me to," Willow agreed, "I guess we have no choice but to finish."

Suddenly everyone felt an invisible presence with them in the circle, they
instinctively genuflected and bowed their heads.
Willow said tentatively, "Goddess, you grace us with your presence, how may
we serve?"
The presence replied mentally to all in the circle except Buffy, < YOU SEEK
TO MAKE A WARRIOR SERVANT FOR ME FROM THIS INITIATE? >
"We do," replied Willow.
< I SEE THAT YOUR NEED IS GREAT. I AM HONOURED BY YOUR THOUGHTS AND I
ACCEPT YOUR GIFT. >

Buffy suddenly felt an overpowering presence in her mind and body. She knew
that she should be terrified, but was overcome with a blissful peace.
Suddenly the presence started to ask questions.
< Initiate, you seek to serve me? >
< I do, > Buffy replied, realising that this was the ultimate test, that
there was no way to be untruthful, for the Goddess was reading every nuance
in her body and her voice.
< Do you seek to strike fear in my enemies, the enemies of humankind? >
< I do. >
< Do you seek to be my avatar and serve as my strong arm in the realm of
man? >
< I do. >
< Then know that you are my servant and avatar. That you will be so marked
and that my servants will aid you should you require their skills. >

Everyone in the circle was then addressed, < THIS IS MY AVATAR, SHE WILL BE
MY AID TO YOU IN YOUR TIME OF NEED. SHE MAY BE HARMED, FOR THAT IS THE FATE
OF HUMANKIND, BUT SHE WILL HAVE THE ASSISTANCE OF MY GUARDIANS. I SO MARK
HER, SO THAT ALL MAY KNOW HER AS MY FAITHFUL SERVANT. >

There was an intense flash of light surrounding Buffy, which was so painful
that everyone had to avert their eyes. Buffy felt a searing pain where the
sword had been resting on her body, when the pain ended she could see that
her robe was burned away, and that the sword was gone. On her chest and
stomach there was a burn in the shape of the sword, and she heard in her
mind, < Child, the burn will heal, but you will carry my mark forever. When
you have a great need, call forth and my sword will be your tool. > Buffy
had been gently lowered to the floor as the Goddess had been speaking. When
her feet touched the floor, she collapsed.

The Goddess then addressed Willow directly, < I GO NOW, MY CHILD. WHEN YOUR
NEED IS GREAT, I WILL RETURN. >

As suddenly as it had appeared, the presence was gone from the circle. The
elements, which had been howling outside of the inn, subsided and the four
pillars of light standing outside of the circle, disappeared.

"Dramatic," commented Willow.
"See to Buffy," Amana said, "Frankel and I will collapse the circle, and
banish the shield."

Willow went over to where Buffy was laying on the floor. She could see that
her lover was shivering, and called out, "blankets, something. I need to
get her warm, she is freezing."
Amana and Frankel had by then collapsed the circle and had banished the
shield, so Aiofe ran to the fireplace and grabbed a couple of the house
blankets that were kept there for cold guests. She quickly returned to
Willow and helped her to wrap them around Buffy, Willow was a little frantic
and called to her soul-mate, < Buffy are you ok? >
< Cold, so cold. >
< We'll have you warm soon love, > Willow said, the relief evident in her
mind.
"Let's get her seated by the fire, and some hot cider into her," she said
aloud and she bent down and picked Buffy up in her arms.
"I can walk," Buffy whispered, "after all I'm a big girl now."
"You're my big girl," Willow replied as she carried Buffy over to the
fireplace and deposited her gently into an overstuffed armchair, "and I want
to take care of you."
"Yes love," Buffy answered, as she accepted a mug of hot cider from Bridie.

Everyone drew up chairs around the fire, and began to discuss the
extraordinary events that they had witnessed. Daithi stayed for only a
short while, excusing himself to go check on the other guardsmen. Within
twenty minutes the others all headed upstairs, it was very late and they had
a hard days travel ahead of them in the morning.

Later that night, four young women were asleep in bed. Spooned together
they slept dreamlessly, they were far too exhausted to dream. As dawn began
to creep over the horizon, one of the women stirred and carefully detached
herself from the others. Buffy went into the bathroom, and striped off her
robe to take a look at herself in the mirror. Since the evening before she
had changed, spectacularly. She started her examination at the top; the
most striking change was the three-inch stripe of snow-white hair that
started at the roots where her hair parted. However, the most dramatic
difference was the red brand on her body, in the shape of a sword. The
vivid burn from the night before was gone and in its place the mark had
changed its appearance, it now had the appearance of a tattoo. Other
changes were subtler, she had always been in excellent physical shape, now
she looked like an Amazon. Her muscles were superbly developed, they were
not grotesque, but perfectly in proportion to her body, they were also well
defined, almost sculpted. She heard the soft rustle of someone getting out
of bed and softly walking across the floor to the bathroom. She thought to
herself, "my hearing has also improved, I wonder what else has changed?"

< Looking really buff, Buff. >
< Morning love, who are you and what have you done with my sleepyhead
Willow? >
< Missed you, > she said as she came up behind Buffy and firmly hugged her.
< What exactly happened last night? >
< We had a visitor, a very important visitor. >
< I guessed that, but why? >
< That I don't know love, and I have found it unwise to ask. Join me in the
bath? >
< You never have to ask me that. >
Willow proceeded to run a bath for the two of them. The tub wasn't as large
as the one back at the castle, so there was no room for extended play. They
had to settle for quick snatch and grabs, and extended back washings. As
they were finishing up rinsing each other's hair, Aiofe and Bridie joined
them in the bathroom.

"Morning loves," Aiofe called out as she went over to the sink to wash, "how
are we all doing?"
"Fine," replied Willow, "you two cool with what happened last night?"
"It was weird," replied Bridie joining her lover at the sink, "having your
Goddess appear in the circle with you, "but I'm ok with it, in fact
honoured."
Aiofe and Bridie finished up washing and turned to leave.
"We will head downstairs and get things ready for the trip," Bridie said as
they finished dressing in their armour.
"Daithi said last night that he was hoping to head out about two hours after
dawn," added Aiofe, "that's in about thirty minutes."

< No time for jollies this morning I guess, > commented Willow as she was
drying off.
< Not in the conventional sense anyway, > agreed Buffy, < but I do have an
idea, if you are willing. >
< I'm always willing to try something new, with you, > Willow replied
excitedly, < what do we do? >
"Lie down on the bed," Buffy said, "and close your eyes.
"Now, what," Willow asked as she did as Buffy asked.
< Now you let me concentrate for a second, > she said as she joined Willow
on the bed.

Buffy expanded her awareness, and looked with her second eyes for the now
permanent link between her and Willow. She perceived it as a thick twisting
rope of energy, which bound each of their essences together. Buffy was
going to try to do consciously what she had experienced before, she was
going to let Willow feel what she felt, see what she saw and know what she
knew. Buffy had experienced this when she had healed Willow, and wanted
Willow to know the depth of love that she felt for her, since she had
experienced Willow's emotions already. Buffy looked deep into the link,
then translated into it. She followed along until she reached Willow's
conscious mind, she then altered her own personal shields and mental
barriers and invited Willow in, to see everything and anything she wished.
Tentatively at first, and then with greater confidence Willow explored. She
looked into Buffy's oldest memories, the emotions when she became the
slayer, the pain when her first watcher died, the love she felt for Angel,
the pain when he reverted, the sorrow when she killed him, knowing that he
had regained his soul. Then Willow went deeper, she looked for and found
the emotions and memories that Buffy had for her. She saw herself, mirrored
in Buffy's mind when Buffy first met her in High School. She saw herself,
when she found out that Buffy was the slayer, and the fear and disapproval.
She saw the love that grew from their friendship, and the trust that had
been built between the two. She felt the confusion when Buffy realised that
she loved her more than a friend, she experienced the feelings and memories
of Buffy's rejection of her true feelings, and the attempt to bury them with
Parker and Riley. She experienced when Buffy tentatively approached her at
Christmas and expressed her love, as more than a friend. She remembered the
struggle that the admission had cost Buffy, and the fear that she would be
rejected. She remembered, from Buffy's point of view, the first time that
they had made love, the explorations, the tentative caresses that increased
in tempo until they had both exploded in mutual pleasure. The soft
caressing that they did after they had reached their plateaus, the sweet
nothings that they had whispered to each other. She remembered the
conversations that they had, the knowledge they shared, that when they fell
asleep they were in the arms of the one person who meant more to each other
than anyone else in the world, or worlds. Finally she saw the traitorous
attack on Buffy from Buffy's eyes, she knew the anguish that had gripped
her. The realization that the woman she loved was about to die and that
nobody was able to help, the desperation that drove her to attempt what had
never been done before, the pain that Willow had felt, mirrored, by Buffy's
desperate link. She felt the panic that was driven by love, which gave
Buffy the idea to try the impossible. She saw the complete trust that Buffy
had in her, evident in the faith that she had exhibited in the initiation.

Willow slowly regained her own senses, the phenomenon of experiencing
everything that her true love felt was breathtaking. She knew now, for
certain, that she would never be alone, that someone who had shared
everything with her, and in whom she could trust with her soul, would share
her journey through life.

< Thank-you, > Willow said to her soul. It was only two words but they
conveyed everything; her love, her dreams, and her desires to Buffy.
< You're welcome. >

"Come on love," Buffy said as she gently kissed Willow, "we have to get
going."
"I know," Willow replied as she carefully got out of bed, using Buffy for
support, "what ever gave you that idea?"
"I've been thinking for a while about it," the slayer replied, "and I
finally figured out a way to let you know how I truly felt about you, since
I already knew how you felt about me, from when I healed you."

The two women quickly left their room, after checking to make sure that they
had left nothing behind, and descended to the common room where the others
were waiting. They had a very quick breakfast and then headed to the
stables, where the guardsmen had already arranged to have their horses
saddled. Within minutes the eleven of them were heading North out of town.
Their initial progress was slow, since they were still dodging fleeing
refugees, but by mid-morning they had reached open road and were making good
time to their destination, the town of Wood Water, where the first of the
hell-mouths was located. As they approached a small hill they could see and
smell smoke from over the rise. Turning to two of the guardsman Daithi
ordered them to scout ahead and investigate. Dismounting he suggested, "we
might as well dismount for a while. Its nearly noon, and we should eat and
water the horses while we wait for Padrick and Seamus to get back with their
report."

Everyone did as he suggested, the remaining guardsman leading the horses to
a nearby stream. No one was very hungry, but they all walked around and
stretched their muscles while eating at least some bread and cheese, since
they had no real idea of when they would be stopping again. Suddenly they
saw the two guardsmen riding hard back down the road towards them. When they
were within shouting distance they could hear them yelling, "Demons, demons
are burning the farms!"
"They reached the party and quickly dismounted, their horses breathing hard
and lathered with sweat. Just as they started to give their report Aiofe
looked up the road and shouted, "we have company," as a band of twenty or so
demons poured over the hill in pursuit of the two guardsmen.
Everyone quickly grabbed their weapons and Daithi quickly formed a defensive
perimeter, with himself and the other guardsmen in front of the others and
behind some fallen trees.

Just as the first group of demons came into bow range, Bridie noticed that
an even greater group, at least one hundred, had followed them down the
hill.

"Oh, oh," she said, " it looks like we now have real trouble." It appeared
that they had found one of the main forces of demons, which had been heading
to the Capital.

"Do we run, fight or wait for the cavalry?" Willow asked thinking that their
trip might have become suddenly shorter.
"I hate to tell you this lover," replied Buffy, "but we are the cavalry."

Finis part VI

To be continued...