FIC: The Dying Of The Light

Greetings, gang!

We're getting to the homestretch in my mini-epic. This is the penultimate chapter. I have one
final chapter, and an epilogue, which I will post as a single letter next week sometime.
Warning; this chapter gets a little violent. It's a big battle sequence, during which we learn
what the villains' master plan is, and Willow finally tells Buffy how she feels.

Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

Keep on Slaying,
Kirayoshi

Disclaimers;
It's Joss Whedon's world, I'm just playing with it. If we all play nice together and put the toys
back where we found them, everything will be lovely.

This story's rated between a PG and PG-13. No explicit sex, some sensuality, some
language, normal levels of slayer-ish violence. Nasties attack, Slayers slay, wackiness ensues.
And if the thought of two women(Buffy and Willow in this case) being in love with each other
wigs you out, then what are you doing on this website anyway?

Archives; Let me know, and I'm liable to say yes.

Feedback; give me a happy, and e-mail me at kirayoshi@xxxxxxxxxxx

Synopsis; One year into the future, the Hellmouth is wide open and the vampires have taken
over the Earth. A maimed Buffy travels back through time to stop the unholy bargain which
was responsible for her world's destruction, and help her younger self face the truth about her
feelings for Willow.

The Dying of The Light
Written by Kirayoshi

Chapter 6
Vows of Love, Vows of Hate

Buffy lay ten yards away from the two men, ignored as an inconsequence. As she listened to
them, she knew that she was getting weaker. It was all that she could do to keep her eyes
from shutting, to keep her ears attuned to the conversation between Quentin Travers and
Roland Snyder. She feared that should she close her eyes, they would never open in this life
again. Whatever Quentin pumped into her veins, it was far stronger than the stuff Giles gave
her on her eighteenth birthday. The part of her brain that could function coherently was
growing more and more quiet, and her respiration became more shallow with each breath.

She knew that she was dying, and despaired that there was nothing she could do to stave it
off, or to stop these evil men from their mad design. The more she heard of their plan, the
more she raged with desire to stop them. But her body would not respond to that desire.
She was trapped in a prison of useless dying flesh.

The sounds of energy weapons and screaming vampires interrupted Quentin's business with
Snyder. "It seems we have company," Snyder commented.

"No one ever accused you of being an original conversationalist," Quentin replied. "Don't
worry, Snyder, our troops will take care of them. Now, shall we get on with business?"

"Of course," Snyder smiled, a feral display of teeth. "Our negotiations have reached their
final stages, the...persons...I represent have agreed to abide by the stipulations of the
contract. However, we require possession of the disputed territory within the next twenty-
four hours."

"This doesn't give the residents of the disputed area time to evacuate," Quentin argued.
Snyder simply laughed at Quentin's observation.

"Mr. Travers, evacuation was never an option. The residents are part of the disputed area,
and must therefore be considered part of the trade. With the signing of this contract, the city
of Sunnydale and all its population become property of the Hellmouth."

"I understand your position, Mr. Snyder," Quentin sighed, "but there are those among my
organization who would find this clause in the contract unacceptable. There could be
reprecussions."

"Quentin, old bean," Snyder grinned like Satan's spin doctor, "you do understand what we
hope to accomplish, do you? We are on the verge of forging the first peace accord between
humanity and demonkind. This treaty between Earth and the Hellmouth will forever assure
the peace for your world. You can no longer rely on your highly vaunted Slayers, Miss
Summers and Mr. Giles have guaranteed that. This measure is required for humanity to
survive. If a few thousand souls must sacrifice themselves to save a few billion, then, well,
you know what they say about making an omelet. You have to break a couple of eggs."

Quentin lowered his shoulders, swayed by Snyder's logic. "I suppose you're right. As long
as I have your assurances that the demons of Hellmouth, once they take over Sunnydale,
won't cross over the boundary lines to invade the rest of the world."

"You have my word," Snyder lied. The two men shook hands.

>From her vantage point behind the bleachers, Alt-Buffy seethed, her disbelief at what she had
witnessed; Quentin Travers just sold out the human race to Belial. She made a silent vow at
that very instant, that before she completed her mission to undo what Quentin and Snyder
were doing, she would kill Quentin with her bare hands. As far as she was concerned, he
had proven himself more evil than any vampire, any demon, any monster she had faced
before.

Master? Yeah, right.

Angelus? Amateur!

At least those creatures didn't have the burden of souls. Quentin Travers didn't have that
excuse. He had a soul and chose to sell it to the devil. He could go to hell as far as she was
concerned.

And she would send him there herself.

"Team one, forward! Team two, ground support!" Riley shouted to his men, who
responded with both professionalism and gusto. A khaki swarm poured into the football
field, as the Initiative soldiers sought out and targeted their undead prey. A number of
vampires broke through Initiative lines, only to be felled either by their energy weapons or by
the stakes and crossbows wielded by Giles and the Slayerettes. They advanced toward the
center of the field, toward where two older men were talking. Giles recognized them as
Snyder and Travers.

"Look!" Willow shouted excitedly, pointing toward the two men. "Just past Snydeman!"

Giles, having dispatched a clumsy newbie vampire, craned his neck to see where Willow was
pointing. Ten yards behind where Snyder and Travers were standing, a body slumped over
on her side, seemingly unconscious. "Buffy," Giles whispered. "Willow, quickly, get to her
and give her the anti-toxin. Xander, Anya, Spike, cover her!"

"On it, Fearless Leader!" Xander shouted, his customary fear of nasty situations forgotten by
his concern for Buffy. Willow sprinted toward her fallen friend, only to have a pair of
especially disreputable looking vampires cut her off.

"Well, ain't that sweet," the female vamp, her tattered leather clothes barely concealing her
decaying body.

"Looks like fresh meat," her male counterpart added.

"Geez," Willow teased, her right arm raised, to release the herbal spell. "What are you, the
vampiric answer to Team Rocket?"

Xander knew a cue when he heard one. "If that's the case," he quipped, "I choose you,
Crossbow!" He promtly fired two bolts in rapid succession. They hit their targets with
deadly accuracy. Two more piles of dust were kicked aside by Willow's feet as she ran
toward Buffy.
Xander simply stood back with his crossbow in hand, saying to Anya, "Gotta slay 'em all!"
Willow silently gave Xander a raised eyebrow and a withering stare, recognized by all the
Scooby Gang as meaning, Man, Xander, are you ever dumb!, then headed back to where
she had seen Buffy.

After quietly felling a demon who had snuck up on Xander and Anya, Spike stood beside
them, his sword resting casualy in his hand, strangely evoking the image of William Wallace,
or at least Mel Gibson in that role in 'Braveheart'. "Nice slayage, Deadboy," Xander
quipped, and the former William Blood smirked at the left-handed compliment.

He managed to peg two other vampires that had threatened himself and the others. With
each blow against his former bretheren, he came closer to the realization that he could never
microchip that kept him from harming humans.

He had little choice in the matter, but when push came to shove, he chose which side he
would be on in the eternal battle. It wasn't a matter of humanity, for he still had no soul.
More a matter of enlightened self-interest; having turned against his own kind, he knew that
they would declare him enemy. So it was only fitting that he declare himself their enemy in
deed as well as by perception. And if that meant that I would be forced to join Buffy's
merry marching society, he thought at that time, then, Scooby-bloody-Doobie-Doo! He
turned his mind away from thoughts of the future, instead thinking only of the present, and the
fight at hand.

As it turned out, Willow didn't need the cover fire from Xander and the Initiative, since her
herbal spell was still protecting her. She didn't even notice three vampires who had tried to
block her way to Buffy. They jerked back from her as though she had erected an invisible
force field around her, just like Susan Richards of the Fantastic Four. At least I can use this
spell to protect Buffy. Oh Goddess, grant that I'm not too late!

After running for what seemed to her like an eternity, she finally made it to the fallen Slayer's
side. Thankfully, neither Quentin, Snyder, nor any of their hench-monsters seemed to notice
her slipping through their defenses, as she concentrated on Buffy's condition. Buffy's eyes
were closed, her lips parted, her skin pale and ashen. Willow fought down her panic reflex
as she placed her finger on her friend's carotid artery. The pulse was weak, thready, but still
there. After breathing a sigh of relief and offering a silent prayer of thanks to the Goddess for
saving the one she loved, Willow immediately got to work.

She opened the packet of herbs at one corner, and sprinkled them out in a circle, around
herself and Buffy. She muttered the invocation, modified for her purpose; "Henbane and
holly to guard our backs, Garlic and rue to repel all attacks." The utterance would activate
the defense spell, and allow her to work undisturbed. She opened the wooden case, and
primed the syringe, pointing it upwards and pressing against the plunger to squirt out any air
bubbles. She then gingerly pressed the needle into the lower basalic vein in Buffy's right arm.
As the needle first made contact with the skin, Buffy's eyes fluttered open. "N-no, no," she
murmered, "no..more...ne-needles..."

"Shh," Willow soothed her friend in a delicate. "Don't try to move. I'm not hurting you,
Buffy, I'm giving you an antitoxin. Giles gave me this, it'll burn out the bad stuff that Quentin
gave you." Buffy tried to squirm, but could only put up token resistance. Willow carefully
found the vein, pressed the needle into her arm, and injected its contents. "There now,
Buffy," Willow soothed, placing the Slayer's head on her lap. "That wasn't so bad now, was
it?"

"C-can I...have..a...a..lo-lollypop?" Buffy asked, her voice barely audible.

Willow just smiled at her beloved, and stroked her blonde hair. "Now you just lie back for a
few minutes, let the antitoxin work. Don't worry, your Willow is here for you." She placed
her hand in Buffy's, who squeezed her hand lightly, but with growing firmness. Willow
smiled, relieved that the antitoxin was working.

Outside of the protective circle, the battle raged. The Intitiative's soldiers clashed with the
vampires, and both sides drew heavy casualities. Buffy, hearing the din of battle, tried to
stand up, to join the fray, but her center of gravity suddenly seemed to shift to somewhere
above her neck, and she collapsed quickly. "No," Willow tried to take her arms, to get her
to sit for a few more minutes. Buffy despaired as she tried to move with limited success. "I
have to get in there," she lamented. "I need to find Giles, to tell him..."

"Hush, Buff," Willow consouled her. "Giles is out there, he knows what Quentin and Snydely
are up to. You'll be up to full strength in a few minutes, and we'll be safe inside the protective
circle." She took Buffy's hand in her own again and whispered, "I'm not about to lose you
again, do you hear me Buffy? You're too important to the world. To me." She closed her
eyes, knowing that with her next sentence, nothing was going to be the same. "I love you,
Buffy Summers. More than anything or anyone else in this world. Always have. Always
will."

Her declaration, her vow, was greeted with silence. For five seconds, each one dragging on
for what seemed like an eternity, Willow was convinced that she had gone too far, that she
had crossed a line from which she could never go back, that she had jeopardized her
friendship with Buffy forever. She kept her eyes closed, afraid to face Buffy. Then, she
heard Buffy speak, an edge of laughter in her voice; "Damn. I wanted to be the first to say
it."

Willow's eyes snapped open, revealing to her the face of her beloved, her Buffy, smiling at
her. She tried to think of something to say, to make sure that Buffy meant what she said, and
then felt a hand gently but firmly grasp the back of her neck and draw her closer, and a pair
of warm clinging lips press against her own.

Buffy's lips were sweeter and softer than she had imagined, and the thrill of kissing her sent
electric jolts throughout her nervous system. It took her a second to recover from the shock,
and start kissing her back. For a timeless instant, Buffy Summers and Willow Rosenburg
were the only two people in existence. No Sunnydale, no Hellmouth, no vampires, no
demons, no Quentin, no Initiative, no...

"Mhi-mhey!" Buffy mumbled against Willow's mouth.

"What?" Willow broke off the kiss reluctantly.

"Riley," Buffy repeated herself. Willow turned around, to find Riley Finn staring directly at
them. Oh God, Willow thought, I feel a babble attack coming on...

"Buffy?" he asked. "Are you all right?"

"Right as rain," she answered quickly. Willow just waved at the hapless Lieutenant, clamping
down hard on her mouth to keep the babble dam from bursting.

"Good," he answered simply, although both women could clearly see the disappointment in
his eyes.

"I'm sorry, Riley," was all that Buffy could say.

"Hey, it's okay." He gave her a half-smile, and said to Willow, "You take good care of her,
or I'll beat you to death with a shovel." Riley tipped his right hand toward the two in a casual
salute, and turned around, barking orders to his men; "All right, men, let's finish what we
started!"

Willow looked back at Buffy, saying, "Hey, I'm sorry about..."

"Don't be, Wills," Buffy soothed her friend, as she struggled to get to her feet, and became
relieved to find that her legs would support the weight. "This is what I want. I'm the one who
initiated the kiss, remember?" She suddenly regarded Willow with a tooth-bearing grin.
"And once this is all over, I plan on kissing you again. Repeatedly. And probably a lot more
than that."

"Talk about incentive for world saveage!" Willow answered back with what could only be
described as a shit-eating grin.

Buffy returned that grin with one of her own, sighing, "I do love you, Willow Rosenburg."
She then stopped, the smile vanishing from her face. "We gotta find Giles. It's worse than he
knows. Quentin's signing a deal with Sny- uh, Belial! He's going to hand Sunnydale over to
the Hellmouth!"

"And you, Slayer," the quietly evil voice of Quentin Travers replied from out of nowhere, "will
not interfere with these proceedings. Buffy and Willow turned around to face Quentin, who
held a small handgun aimed directly at Buffy's heart. "I had hoped to let you die in peace,
without pain or bloodshed, but since you insist on being difficult..." Without another word, he
pulled the trigger.

The bullet ricocheted off of the protective field in front of the two young women, and back
toward Quentin, lodging in his arm. Buffy looked at Willow and said, "That is one user-
friendly spell you got there."

"I don't know my own strength!" Willow breathed, awed by the power of her own spell.
"That one's definitely a keeper."

"I'll just relieve you of that, if you don't mind!" Giles, suddenly standing in front of Quentin,
grabbed his neck in a hammerlock, and wrested the gun from his hand. Buffy had never seen
Giles this angry before, not at her when she had lied about Angel being alive, not at Angelus
when he killed Jenny Calendar, not even at Snyder for any number of reasons. There was a
flash of white fire in his eyes, and she swore she could see sparks flaring out of his mouth as
he ground his teeth. "And now, traitor," Giles snarled, throwing Quentin to the ground, "I
would have words with you!"

"You are persona non gratia among the Council, Giles," Quentin puffed himself like a penguin,
as though being bodily assaulted had done nothing to his composure. "You have no authority
in these proceedings."

"What authority do you have," Giles shouted indignantly, "to make such a deal with Roland
Snyder? You are talking about sacrificing tens of thousands of people to the Hellmouth!"

"Why, Giles," Snyder suddenly stepped forward from his observation perch, oozing mock
civility. "What an unexpected surprise. You and Miss Summers, and her little witch friend,"
he grinned evilly at Buffy, who held Willow a little tighter, a little more protectively. "I
suppose that Xander Harris is here as well? How delightful, I get to see the four who caused
me so much grief over the years die at the hands of my associates."

"This is not about revenge, Mr. Snyder," Quentin glared at the former principal. Apparantly,
he hated the man as much as Giles and Buffy did. "Giles, what I am doing here is
safeguarding the lives of over five billion humans. I have met with Mr. Snyder, who has
represented the denizens of what you euphemistically call 'the Hellmouth', and together, we
have forged the first treaty between humanity and demonkind. Sunnydale will be sacrficed to
the Hellmouth, and yes that is a tragedy, but that is the price that we were forced to pay
because of you, Buffy Summers."

"Oh, no, no, no," Buffy flared, her rage slowly matching that she saw in Giles. "You try to pin
this one on me, I'll filet you!"

"Indeed, Miss Summers, it is that attitude," Quentin continued, "that has forced the Watcher's
Council to accept this non-aggression pact with the Hellmouth. You and your fellow slayer
Faith have proven unreliable, therefore we require a peaceful solution."

"Peaceful solution?" Giles sputtererd. "You honestly think that you can deal with that--that--
creature?"

"Sticks and stones, Giles," Snyder tut-tutted.

"You're a greater fool than Neville Chamberlain," Giles continued his tirade, ignoring the
demon in barely-human form, "when he signed a non-aggression pact with Nazi Germany!
He called it 'Peace in our time', then shortly after began the Blitz! You think you'll fare better
dealing with demons?"

"If you had kept a tighter rein on your charges, none of this would have happened." Quentin
then turned to Buffy, damning her with his eyes. "Your rebelious nature has made you a
liability, I'm afraid. You have constantly defied our orders, flaunted your association with
your so-called 'Slayerettes'--"

"We prefer 'Scooby Gang'," Xander chimed in. The horde of vampires had thinned out
considerably, and the Initiative was eliminating the last few of them, so Xander and Anya had
joined the debate at the center of the football field.

"Besides, we wanted in," Willow defended the gang. "Buffy's our friend, we watch her
back."

"My point exactly," Quentin growled. "The Slayer is a solitary person, she must go alone
through her life--"

"Blah, blabity blah, I'm so stuffy, get me a scone!" Giles interrupted, shouting a line Buffy had
used on him when he delivered a similar speech years ago. Buffy, remembering that incident,
had to laugh out loud as she heard those words coming from Giles lips. In his own way,
Giles was saying that Buffy was right all along. And he had heard enough of this fool
Quentin, he was going to give him a piece of his mind. The Ripper is back, Giles thought,
taking names.

"Has it ever occured to you, Quentin," Giles continued, "that Buffy is the most successful
Slayer in the long recorded history of the Watcher's Council? That she is so successful, not
in spite of her defying our ancient, archaic traditions, but because she defies them? And that
is why you wish to eliminate her? Because she's her own person? Nice plan you have here,
eliminate Buffy, and Faith while you're at it, she'll be killed while she's in a coma, and destroy
an entire town to cover up the evidence? And then two new slayers will emerge to replace
Buffy and Faith, and hopefully be more pliant to the Council's wishes? I will never believe
that the Council would ever approve such a monstrosity!"

"None the less, Giles," Quentin said quietly, "the pact is struck. It only awaits my signature,
and..." A sledgehammer blow interrupted his declaration, sending him reeling to the ground.
Buffy and Willow shuddered when they saw the figure who delivered the blow, and was now
punching, kicking, clawing and kneeing the hapless Quentin.

Alt-Buffy had remained hidden from sight, listening to Quentin's mad plan until she could hear
no more. "Don't pass out on me now, ass-wipe!" she shouted, a year's worth of rage boiling
over in her gut. "I want you to look at me, to know who it is who kills you!"

"Buffy, don't do it!" Giles shouted at the time-traveler. "He's not worth it!"

"Oh, this is worth it, Giles!" Alt-Buffy screamed, a desperate cry of righteous rage. She
grabbed Quentin by the collar of his shirt, and shook him with her one good hand. "Do you
know who I am, Quentin? DO YOU?"

Quentin, dazed by the onslaught, turned a bruised eye toward his captor, and gasped. "Bu-
Bu- Buffy?"

"Yes, dickweed, Buffy! I came from the future, from the world that you created. You signed
a deal with that thing that calls himself Snyder. But do you know who he really is? He's
Belial, a major demon! He used your blasted contract to invade this world, to lead an army
of vampires, to destroy every living thing on this planet!"

She threw him onto the bleachers, hard enough to break his arm. "My world is dead!" As
he struggled to right himself, she rammed her palm up his jaw, breaking seven of his teeth.
"Humanity is extinct!" She tried to kick him in the side, but Xander finally managed to grab
her by the arm, restraining her, just barely. "And you killed them all!" She struggled in
Xander's grip, but was unable, with only one arm, to get enough leverage to break free.

"Congratulations, Quentin," Giles intoned, his disgust at his former superior officer putting
steel in his voice. "You just surpassed Judas Iscariot as the greatest traitor who ever lived."

Quentin, his body one vast area of pain, looked around at the two Buffies, and the others
who had gathered around them. "My-my God," he stammered, his speech slurred by
extensive injuries to his jaw. "Is this true?" Giles nodded. Alt-Buffy finally stopped
struggling and just glared at Quentin. Perhaps no human face before had ever displayed such
contempt, such raw, unfettered hatred.

"Come now, Quentin," Snyder smiled. "You're not going to let these deliquents sway you
from the great work you're about to complete, are you? For the first time in millenia, there
will be peace between the two worlds. You can't bail out now."

"Get thee behind me, Satan!" Quentin whispered. "You misrepresented yourself, demon.
You lied to me about your intentions. You make me ashamed of my part in this blasphemy.
No more! I refuse to sign your contract, monster! Our pact is null and void! Begone to
your realm and never come back!" For a full ten seconds, not a sound could be heard. The
injured Quentin and the supplicant Snyder just stood, staring at each other, each daring the
other to make the next move.

Snyder stepped forward until he was just inches away from Quentin. He sagged his
shoulders, saying, "I'm sorry you feel this way, friend." He then lunged his right hand
forward, bursting through Quentin's ribcage, and pulling out his still-beating heart. He
stepped over the newly-killed corpse, taking the parchment on which the contract was
written. He smeared the heart over the parchment, chanting;

"Words of a traitor, penned in black;
Blood of a traitor, to seal the pact.
So long as this contract is in my hand,
This world is no more the dominion of man!"

His laughter echoed across the field, and beyond, disturbing the dreams of all sleeping people
around the world, and chilling the souls of the waking. Snyder turned toward the younger
Buffy, the grin on his face reminescent of Batman's eternal nemesis, the Joker. He seemed
taller, more muscular, no longer the weakling authoritarian he appeared to be at Sunnydale
High, but a true force of evil. "Remind me, Buffy, what was the name of that song you and
your classmates liked?" he chortled. "By REM, I believe? Ah, yes; 'It's The End Of The
World As We Know It, And I Feel Fine'!"

To Be Concluded.....