FIC: The Rocky Road Chapter 13: Choices and Changes (14/?)

Title:  The Rocky Road Chapter 13: Choices and Changes (14/?)
Author:  Kimber (kacoe@xxxxxxx)
Disclaimer:  All BTVS characters belong to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy.
Author's Notes:  Thanks to my buddy Jen for suggesting the song lyrics.  You rock!
Thoughts are enclosed in < >
Flashback are enclosed in <<<<  >>>>
------------

?I once met a young girl filled with fire,?
?That saw through my front to this shell of a man ?
?She knew I'd be a handful from the start,?
?This strong willed woman had an angel's heart ?
?The holes in these wings don't allow me to fly ?
?So you'd better brace for a life of pain,
?And if fate is the path to this better life?
?Somehow I feel you'll never see the faces change?
?Through thick and thin, She stood by you?
?She held the key to my broken heart?
?Upstarts and Broken Hearts? by Dropkick Murphys

Buffy and Willow were laying in Giles? bed cuddled up.  Willow was laying on her side curled up facing the window with Buffy behind her.  She?d stopped crying about ten minutes ago and just rolled over and squished herself into this little Willow-ball.  Buffy was at a loss of what she should do.  Should she try to hold her?  Maybe groveling for forgiveness was in order?  Or maybe she should just lay in bed thankful that Willow was willing to be in the same room with her.  ?Will??

?Hmm??

?I?m sorry.?

?Buffy.?  She whined and turned over.  ?I know, but you have to stop saying it otherwise, well. . .it?ll lose it?s meaning.?

?Oh.?  Buffy looked down at her hands.

?Look.  I know you?re sorry.  I really do but, well, now comes the hard part.?

?I hate the hard part.?  Buffy pouted.

Willow took Buffy?s hand.  ?You have to show me you?re sorry and you have to earn my trust again.  I understand why you did it and that you may not have been a willing participant at first, but that doesn?t change the fact that. . .?

?I still did it.  I get that Will, I really do.?  Buffy looked up at her.  ?When I think. . .when I think of what my life might be without you I just. . .I can?t.  You not being with me is something that I never want to happen.  There?s just badness there.?  She shook her head and put Willows hand to her lips and kissed her knuckles.

Willow spread her fingers to cup Buffy?s face.  ?For me too.  That?s why this hurt so much.  I love you.  You?ve been my best friend for, God, for. . .do you realize it?s been almost twelve years since we met?  I?m gonna be twenty-seven next month and I can?t remember what my life was like before I met you.  I don?t even think I had a life then, I just kind of, you know, existed.?  She smiled a little remembering the first time they met.  ?I was eating lunch, you came and sat next to me and. . .?

?You asked me if I wanted you to leave.  I remember.?  Buffy smiled too.

?My whole life went into warp speed after that day and it hasn?t slowed up yet.  But you know what??

Buffy looked up at her.  ?What??

?I wouldn?t trade it for anything.?  Willow slowly brought her lips to Buffy?s and brushed them gently.  She moved on top of Buffy without breaking the kiss.  This wasn?t a sexual thing and they both knew it.  It was a comfort thing, both wanting to get as close to the other as possible so as to really feel the other one was there.  Willow laid her head on Buffy?s shoulder and Buffy stroked the red locks away from her face.

?I promise you Will, when this is all over, *when* we get through this whole prophesy thing, I?m gonna throw you the biggest combination birthday party graduation party Sunnydale has ever seen.  Mark my words Dr. Rosenberg.?  Buffy yawned.

?Dr. Rosenberg ? I?ll have to get used to the sound of that.?  Willow smiled.  ?Oh, and consider your words marked in permanent marker.?  Willow whispered.

Soon they both drifted off to sleep.

---------------

?Can?t say I didn?t expect that.?  The first man remarked.

?Me either.  At least he came right on time. There?s nothing left to do but wait.?

They rose to their feet and dusted themselves off.  Slowly they morphed from human to demon form and not a scratch could be seen anywhere on them.

?Hey Quentin.?

He turned around.  ?Yes, what is it Ethan??

?You think the old man has it figured out yet??  He smirked.

?I have no doubt, but it?s of no concern now.  The boy has taken her and no one can stop the transformation now.  The final ritual we performed will begin to work in an hour or so.  She?ll go mad ? madder than she is now if it?s possible.  He?ll be dead before the changing of the guards can take place.  With the current and future Shadowman dead, the gates will open and we shall have our revenge.?

Ethan smirked.  ?All in all I?d say it?s not bad for seven years of work.  Wouldn?t you agree old chap??

?Absolutely.  Demons shall walk this earth ? just as it should have been before the Slayer and her little followers got in the way.  As soon as the boy is dead, she?ll go after them.  If she doesn?t kill them first, well, when the gates open they?ll be wishing she had.?

----------------

?Oh, dear.?  Giles sat down on the couch.

Cordelia slammed her book down.  ?Giles, enough with the British drama already!  What is it??

?We may want to get Buffy and Willow down here for this.  I?d hate to disturb them now, but. . .?

?I?ll go.?  Angel offered and headed up the stairs.

About five minutes later, Angel came down with two cranky girls in tow.  They both flopped on the couch and rubbed their eyes.

Buffy spoke first.  ?So what?s up Watcher guy?  This better be good cause I was in the middle of one really good dream.?

Willow nodded in agreement and put her head on Buffy?s shoulder.

?Cordelia found the missing book with the prophesy in it.  It seems to me that Xander found it, read it and tried to hide it among my lesser used books, possibly to buy himself some time.?

?So what does it say already man!??  Spike was growing impatient in the corner of the room.

?Well, it?s not a prophesy at all.  It?s an ancient foretelling of the changing of the guardians.  I?ve researched this at length and all signs point to the fact that the Shadowman is prepared to go into a sort of retirement and he is looking for a replacement.?

Willow asked the question on everyone?s minds.  ?What is the Shadowman?  I remember you mentioning it before, but. . .?

?He?s the guardian of the gate between this world and the next.?  Anya chipped in.

?You knew of this??  Giles looked at her.

?Of course.  Hey, I was a vengeance demon for over a thousand years.  You do make contacts you know.  I lost track of the time when I became human.  See, the Shadowman is either killed because he is careless, and the one who kills him becomes the next Shadowman, or he retires.?  She smiled with pride.

?Yes, yes. . .it says here that in the office of the Shadowman or Gatekeeper, one must execute certain duties.  Keep our world and the demon world as separate as possible for one, aide in the delivery of ?those with darkness? to the nether realm. . .?

?Those with darkness?  Can your books be anymore vague G-man??  Faith asked from the corner.

Willow perked up.  ?Hey, I remember studying this when I was working on my doctorate.  Those with darkness refers to really evil people or demons.  They have to be escorted to the nether realm otherwise they?d go off on their own and wander around in limbo forever.?

?Hell.?  Angel finally said.  ?They get escorted to hell.?

?Angel, you know about this too?  Am I the only one who is to remain uninformed??  Giles looked over at him.

Angel struggled with his answer.  ?Well, actually, that comes from personal experience.?

Giles was caught off guard.  ?Oh, of course. . .sorry.?  He began flipping through the pages again.  ?Another duty of the Shadowman is to. . .?  He looked up at Buffy then to Angel.  Angel simply nodded his head.  ?You knew?  You knew of this and never told me??

?Would it have mattered, Giles?  I helped and we did a lot of good, that?s all that should matter now.?  Angel waved the comment off as if it were nothing.

?This is serious Angel.  Had I known I would have never. . .?

?Never what?  Never allowed it to happen?  Never allowed a vampire to fall in love with a Slayer?  There were other forces at work here, that book isn?t going to tell you everything.  You can count on it.?  He was getting angry now.

Cordelia touched his arm.  ?Angel??  She pointed to his face.

He had unknowingly slipped into game-face and as soon as she pointed it out he slipped back to human guise.  ?Sorry.?  He kissed her on the forehead and put his arm around her.  ?Giles, ?  He began calmly.  ?You have to know, you need to understand that I knew the risks going into this.  Had I left things the way they were supposed to be then, well, there?s no telling what would happen.?

?Could someone please fill us in on what you two are arguing about??  Buffy yelled at both of them.

Giles put the book down and looked at her.  ?The most important role of the Shadowman is to aid the Slayer in her duties.?

?Then why didn?t I ever meet this guy??  Buffy questioned.

?Because Whistler found me.?  Angel began.  ?Said I had it in me to be one of the good guys.  He told me that the Powers That Be sent him to find me and that I had a destiny, a purpose.  When he found me my only purpose was trying to stay alive on rats in alleys.  He intervened and in turn, I intervened with your meeting the Shadowman.  He saw that you were well taken care of and decided that you were the one Slayer that didn?t need his assistance.  I met up with him again.  He took me to hell.  He said his time was short and he had less than a decade to complete his office, then a new person would be called whether they were willing or not.?

Giles crossed the room and sat down on the coffee table so he was facing Buffy and Willow.  ?When Angel stepped in, it changed things.  Changed the course of both of your destiny?s.  Had Angel not stepped in then the next appointed gatekeeper would have been the Immortal Watcher.?

?Giles that?s impossible!?  Willow argued.  ?We didn?t know anything about me being the Immortal Watcher until after I joined the Council.?

?No, no we didn?t.  But that doesn?t mean the Council didn?t either.?  Giles let out a sigh.

?You mean I was set up?  But why?  I?m not the Immortal Watcher, they didn?t get what they wanted.?

?Yes they did.?  Buffy was finally catching on.  ?They did Will.  Don?t you see?  They set it up right from the beginning, and I?ll be it was those bastards Quentin, Ethan and Richard all along.  When they didn?t have Xander doing their dirty work for them anymore, they knew somehow that I was going to visit and knew I would find out what was done to you.  They even made it so that Angel had no choice but to turn me into a vampire.  But they didn?t count on you turning your back on me.  No, what they  probably counted on was me killing you.?

?Yes, I see it now.?  Giles began.  ?I told them you were coming Buffy, it?s standard procedure.  With Xander?s refusing to help anymore, they knew it was a matter of time before the two of you came together again.  Therefore they counted on your reaction to Cordelia?s and Willow?s relationship to ensue a fight.  I can?t believe we didn?t put this together before.  They knew what lengths Willow would go through in order to save you, even counted on it.  When Willow gave up her station, she did exactly what they wanted her to do all along.?  He ran his hand through his hair.  ?You see what this means, don?t you.?

Buffy shook her head.  ?Not exactly.?

?Xander thinks he?s preordained to be the Gatekeeper??  Willow asked.

?Not quite.?  Giles corrected.  ?You see, without an Immortal Watcher, the office of gatekeeper is somewhat up for grabs.  The current office holder could have someone in mind, or when the time to change comes, it could simply be at random.  I?m almost positive that Xander is doing this to protect you, both of you.  The next Shadowman has to go through a ritual, an exchange of blood with an immortal.  I suppose any immortal will do ? which is why he?s taken to Drucilla?s company.?

?He thinks this Gatekeeper guy is coming after Will?  Is that why he. . .?  Buffy couldn?t finish her sentence.  The implications were far too great.

?Yes, I?m afraid so.  Remember, Xander wasn?t here when we arrived back from England.  He still doesn?t fully know what happened to the two of you there.  He may have been under the impression that Willow has been in danger all along.  For all we know, Quentin could have told him she was to be the next Immortal Watcher, and when he read the book years ago. . .?  Giles didn?t have to finish.  They all knew the conclusions that had been drawn.

?I still don?t see where Xander fits into this??  Anya chimed in.

Giles shook his head.  ?Neither do I.  How in God?s name did he wind up with Drucilla of all people??

?Hey!?  Spike sounded offended.  ?That?s my girl your talkin ?bout.?

?Seems to me she?s wonderboy?s girl now, Spikey.?  Faith smirked.

Anya folded her arms and pouted at that comment.

?It is imperative we find Xander.  There?s nothing else useful in any of the books.  He?s the only one that can fill in the blanks now.?  Giles rose to his feet.  ?The sun is down.  I suggest we break up into groups and go searching for him.  It?s the only way.?

?Fine.?  Buffy got up off the couch.  ?Will, Angel and Cordy will go with me.  Giles, Anya and Spike go with Faith.  We?ll canvas the town and meet back at Restfield in about two hours.?

------------

?I knew you?d find me.?  Dru was smiling down at him.

Xander stirred and sat up.  ?Uh, God Dru. . .how much did you take this time??

?Mommy was thirsty.  You look stronger now. . .inside *and* out.?

Xander shook his head in an attempt to clear it.  ?How do you know what my insides look like??  He put up his hand.  ?No, never mind, I?d rather not know.?  He stood on shaky legs.  ?My turn.?  His voice took on a grainy tone and he began to burn blood without even thinking about it now.

She nodded.  ?Yes, pet.  You know what this means, don?t you?  Shadowman, Shadowman. . .he walks the line where no one can.?  She walked over to him and kissed his neck.  ?Your time has come. . .your transformation, your new life, your destiny.?

He?d had enough talk of the damn prophesy, enough of his friends being in danger, enough of this insane vampire ? enough of it all.  He took the pen knife out of his pocket and approached her.  She complied with his silent wish by offering her wrist.  As soon as he licked the fresh wound, the swoon came.  It would be complete soon, very soon.

maybe I'll post the rest...maybe not...it depends.  *evil grin*

your humble bard,
~~Kimber