Re: [buffywantswillow] Hello, and a question

Erin,

you asked about why there aren't more (or any) Uber
type stories (a la the Xena-verse) for Buffy or other
fandoms.

Well, I'm a fan of both shows and actively read both
sets of fiction...

In MY opinion (and what is that worth, really??) there
is a quality to the characters of Xena and Gabrielle -
that of eternal soulmates - that truly lends itself to
the Uber relm. In Buffy the show's mythology doesn't
support (at this point) that Slayers are reincarnated.
They go to great lengths to state that DEAD is DEAD
for a Slayer. Xena has never had a problem beating
death.

The show has established that reincarnation is fact
(one of the Indian arc from season 4 and the finale
from that year) therefore they have been "reborn" in
different places and times and bodies. They do not
have stay the same sex or the same relative ages.

Plus Uber doesn't have to have them reincarnated.
Sometimes it is a distant relatives (The Xena Scrolls
with Mel and Janice). Or related at all. Many Ubers
just take the commitment they have for each other and
play on that. They swicth up their physical
appearances (the "strong" one is blonde and tall) or
their relative ages ("Xena" is younger).

As to why other fandoms haven't seen a boom in Uber
stories... I can only guess. It's my opinion. The
actual time line may have more to do with it. Xena is
set so far in our past the show itself spans centuries
as if they were months. As long as the stuff happened
in BC (or BCE) the creators are fine with it.

Buffy, on the other hand, sticks with a very tight
time frame. Years are years and they are current years
so we - the audience - knows the time period
intimately.

I think it all hings on the soulmate principal. The
Buffy mythology has not stated she has found a
soulmate - not in Willow or Angel or Riley.

Some Xena Uber has the pair as immortals (See the
Blood and Roses Universe) - that I could see working
in the Buffy-verse before actual independant
characters.

And I can see that last line taken as a personal
challenge - it's not meant to be. Please don't shoot.

~ kimly