FF: NKA part Two

Okay, this is a bit rough, but I wanted to get it out there to see what people's thoughts are on this story...like it...hate it...lump it...curious minds want to know.

Disclaimer: Characters of the show Buffy:The Vampire Slayer belong to Joss. Characters of Star Trek: Voyager belong to Paramount, I own none of them.

Pairings: Willow/Buffy, Janeway/Seven

?Keep it steady, Tom. We don?t want to be detected by Earth?s satellites, and keep an eye out for that Borg cube. I don?t want it finding us before we find it. I?ll be in my Ready room.? Captain Kathryn Janeway delivered her orders to the crew, then left them to handle it. Entering the Ready room, she sat down in her chair and pulled up the mission files StarFleet had graciously bestowed upon her at the onset of this mission. She still thought that they were crazy, sending one Intrepid class starship back in time to stop the Borg from getting it?s hands on Earth?s greatest weapon. The fact that this weapon just happened to be her Ancestor only increased her determination to meet this mission with success. But she had to admit, even for her it was a longshot. She had managed to get her entire crew back to Earth from the Delta Quadrant seven years after she had managed to loose them there in the first place, only to discover the Borg?s latest plan to assimilate humanity.

Now she was here, hovering over Earth, searching desperately for the Borg drone that had been altered to appear human in the Borg?s attempt to get closer to and assimilate her Ancestor. Kathryn wasn?t quite sure why the Borg felt the deception was necessary. Earth?s present day technological progress could in no way repel a Borg attack, and the straight forward approach had certainly worked in the past...but the Borg Queen seemed to be getting cagey in her old age.

This was a certain suicide mission...but they didn?t call her Captain Insaneway for nothing. She readily accepted the challenge the Borg Queen had thrown down before her. She had defeated the unfeeling bitch before...she?d do it again.

Before she had a chance to get too lost in her thinking, she heard Seven?s voice coming over the comlink.

?Go ahead, Seven.? Janeway said, initiating the oral com link in her office.

?I have made visual contact of the target.? Seven replied, her voice a bit muffled by the noise of the music and the crowd.

?I can barely hear you, Seven. Where are you?? Janeway shouted over the comlink, trying to make herself be heard.

?It is a place visited by the locals...some place called ?The Bronze?. I am not sure why they would have chosen such a name. It doesn?t seem very reminiscent of their Bronze age.? Seven processed the confusion for deliberation later. ?It is very loud though. I think Tom would like it here.?

?You?re getting off track, Seven. You say you?ve found the Borg drone?? Kathryn asked, sitting forward in her chair, tension filling her previously relaxed form.

?Yes Captain. I was uncertain at first, but after making eye contact I could easily see the visual implant...though I think a normal human might not notice the difference.? Seven was glad the loud din in the room prevented bystanders from overhearing the conversation. It would have been hard to explain away.

?You made eye contact with the drone?!? Kathryn asked, alarmed, hoping Seven hadn?t given herself away. ?Have you been recognized?? If she had been, Kathryn would pull this project right now, assign someone else to track down the drone...even though it had taken days to track down the drone, it wasn?t worth it if Seven was hurt in their attempt to locate and eliminate the Borg presence.

?No. I don?t think I was recognized, the contact was too brief...though I think I made her nervous, somehow.?

?Her?? Kathryn twitched in her chair, warring with her need to protect Seven, and the need to protect Humanity from the invasion of the Borg.

?The Borg Drone is female, and I believe she has made contact with your ancestor, in a round about sort of way. She seems to have insinuated her way into her life by...becoming romantically involved with your Ancestor?s...? Seven recalled the way the blonde had been clutching her cup in a death grip and the impressions she had got from the scene. ?Love interest.?

?Swell.? Janeway said, her lip twitching wryly. ?Sounds like a tactic the Borg Queen would use.? The sarcasm in her voice was not lost on Seven, as her blue eyes twinkled for a moment. ?And has.? Seven commented, drawing a sharp laugh from the anxious captain.

?I wish to follow them when they leave here...track them back to where they live. Maybe we?ll be able to develop a more decisive plan of action, then.? It was obvious from Seven?s tone that she was in no way happy with the cat and mouse game they were playing with the Borg.

Janeway sighed, reclining back in her chair and mulling the situation over in her mind. The tactic could give them the information they needed to get close to the endangered humans...it could also get Seven caught if she wasn?t careful. The need for information was the deciding factor, though Kathryn wanted to make sure the ex-Borg would be careful. ?All right.? She said, finally, the consternation tight in her voice. ?But at the first sign of trouble you beam yourself out...Is that understood??

?Yes, Captain.? The ex-Borg, replied.

?And for God?s sake, be discreet.? Janeway commanded, her blue-gray eyes twinkling at the in-joke running between them.

?I believe after three years with you, I have learned to be discreet.? Seven replied, hearing her lover?s bark of laughter echo over the comlink, before she saw the group of people she was supposed to be trailing walk out the door. ?They are leaving. I?ll contact you again when I have more information.?

?You do that. That?s an order.? Kathryn ended the communiqué with a gentle warning to be careful, as Seven headed out the door.

To be continued...