FIC: Becoming One(Part 9)

What you've all been waiting for. Enjoy.

RESTORATION - PT. 2

"Wesley. What brings you here?" Giles asked.

Willow studied his face. She walked up to him. "You have something, don't you? Something to bring her back."

"Possibly, yes." He pulled a large book out of his bag, and opened it up. He handed it to Giles.

"Not to sound, ungrateful, but why are you here?" Xander asked.

"As in, why are you helping us?" Cordelia asked.

"Valid questions. The Council's in a less than stable state at the moment -"

"Someone wants to get a Slayer back into their employment. Anyone else sense a bribe?" Xander asked.

Oz raised his hand in answer.

Giles studied the book, and shook his head. "Once the Council hands down their decision, they don't go back on it. No matter what the circumstances."

"Quite correct, and as I was about to say, I came here because I've been aware of what happened to Buffy, and I want to see her well again."

"They let you leave?" Giles asked, astonished.

"It surprised me as well. There seems something off about the Council now. Quentin seemed strangely.unraveled. I believe something rather big to be coming."

"Yes there must be, if the Council has let you leak information."

"I don't mean to sound rude, but right now the Council really doesn't matter to me. What is this book, and how can it help Buffy?" Willow asked, impatiently.

"Sorry." Wesley said. "Ah, this is the hand-written journal and spell book of Jonas Barton. He was a self-proclaimed warlock in the Middle Ages. It's true that most of the reported magick done during that time period was a hoax, but this man 's talent was genuine.

"He didn't advertise his services. In fact he was very much into isolation. However, he did extensive research and experimentation on soul existence. Soul mates, and the like. He was very adept at it."

"Kinda strange that a guy into isolation, would be interested in soul mates." Oz said.

"There are sketchy reports that even though he had a magickal ability for most of his life, the reason for his sudden interest in the subject was that he had lost his wife to a murderer, and he was afraid that she was not at rest in the afterlife." They stared at him. "Which is a story for another time. Anyhow, he refined his spells, and his learnings, into this book. Before he passed on, he donated it to the Council."

"That's great, but what spell -"

Giles pointed it out to Willow, and began to read Jonas' writing.

***

"This is your last chance to eliminate the obstacles that are a threat to our coming. A threat to the opening of the gateway below your feet." The cloaked figure said.

"Your point?"

"Whether or not you succeed, your energies must be refocused on preparing for my return. Completely. If the two light warriors are still breathing when I walk on this ground fully once more, they will be the first to die."

"They're my kill."

"We'll see. Focus, Angelus. I hope you're successful tonight, then you'll have fewer distractions later."

The figure vanished, and Angelus sat in the Master's old chair. There were eight hours until sundown.

***

They read over, more like scrutinized, the spell again and again. Willow mostly, because she was the one who had to recite it. It seemed simple, but she wasn't taking any chances.

Joyce had come to the house. She was basically a bystander, leaving her daughter's well being in her friends' hands, and out of hers. She wished she could've been more helpful, but Buffy's condition had to do with something she barely understood. But Willow was in control, and she cared about and loved Buffy as much as Joyce did. She would get Buffy back.

"Read it to me. Again?" Willow asked Giles.

" 'This must be performed in a completely positively charged environment. No negative emotions whatsoever, no hate, anger, they all must be cleared in order for this to work. The person's soul mate must be the one to carry it out, whether he or she is magickally versed or not. They must also be alone. No outsiders.

" 'Physical contact is necessary for the transference, as well as an open heart. This may sound less like magick and more like poetry, but in all my studies, I find that the soul creates its own magick, and we follow what it tells us. It is connected to every part of us, but for those special cases, the souls that are so joined together that they belong as one, but reside in two bodies, they sometimes get confused. So we must help them return to where they belong. The following words -' "

"I'm sorry, but can I mention something?" Joyce asked. They all nodded. "Buffy is in a hospital. The doctors won't let us take her home, so it would be.difficult to perform this without interruptions."

"I hadn't thought of that." Giles said.

"Speaking of things we haven't thought of, what about Angelus?" Xander brought up.

"When you do the spell, Angelus won't interfere." The Goddess said, appearing in the room. "But after this point, direct contact won't be allowed. You're on the right path, Willow, and I can't take you much further. You will learn much in the near future, and with Buffy at your side, you will go far."

Willow walked up to her. "Will I see you again?"

"I'll be around. Good luck to you."

"Thank you."

But the Goddess was already gone.

"Best entrances and exits I've ever seen." Oz said.

"We will worry about the hospital later. The sooner we do this the better for everyone. For the world." Wesley said.

"Tonight." Willow said, and closed her eyes fighting off the pain. Her soul wanted to keep Buffy bad. Not that she could blame it.

"Are you okay?" Cordelia asked.

"I will be. Giles, can you finish reading?"

"Of course."

***

At sundown, Angelus made his way to the hospital. He had one thing on his mind. No more games, no more scheming, nothing else except finishing off his ex once and for all.

So what if Willow had slaying ability? He didn't care. It was somehow connected to Buffy, and he figured if he got rid of her, Willow wouldn't be far behind. It would be simple. And it would have to be quick, because he had bigger obligations. Buffy and Willow were insignificant next to the larger plan.

Whether he believed that or not, it wasn't up to him to make the decisions. He had orders, and he hated following them, but that was the only way he'd get to stay among the human populated world. And get his power later on.

He entered through the automatic doors, and went to the front desk.

"Can I help you?" A woman asked, sitting beside a computer.

"Buffy Summers room."

"Friend or family?"

"Killer." He said under his breath.

"Excuse me?"

"Close friend of the family."

The lady was wary, but seeing look in his eyes, she also didn't want to object.

"Third floor. Room 308."

***

Xander and Oz returned to Giles' house after buying supplies at the magick shop. Willow was talking with Wesley and Giles, and Joyce was on the phone. Cordelia was simply offering silent moral support.

Willow saw them, and walked over. "You get the stuff?"

Oz nodded.

"Yep. One bag of pixie dust and a bottle of Love Potion Number Nine." Xander joked.

"Xander." She said forcefully.

"Sorry. Don't worry. We got everything."

"No," Willow grabbed her head, and took an exhausted breath, "I'm sorry. It's just.I'm on edge, you know? This is the only option we've got, and if it doesn't work."

Xander put his hand on her shoulder. "It'll work.It'll work."

"Make me believe that. Please."

Oz took his turn. "If anyone can do it, Will.it's you. She'll come back because you want her to. The spell stuff is just a helper, but if you want her to come back, she will. Want something badly enough, and you'll get it."

"I gotta tell you, Oz, when you decide to say more than a word, its strangely moving."

"I'm full of surprises."

Willow chuckled a little. "Thanks, guys. You're right. Just have to use my resolve face."

Joyce just got off the phone, and went over to Willow, Xander, and Oz.

"It took some pushing, but using the mother card, I got them to move her to a more secluded wing on the hospital. It's older, but they'll be fewer people around, and it'll be pretty much isolated."

"What about Angelus?"

"Oh, I gave them his description. They won't let him go near her."

"And they'll stop him, how?" Cordelia asked, coming out of her silent state.

"We go now." Willow stated, and Giles grabbed a bag of slaying tools off the table.

They were out the door immediately, no objections or questioning. This was Willow's plan, her rules. It was time to get Buffy back.

***

Angelus walked into Room 308, intent on his task, only to find it empty. He found it hard to keep his temper. He walked along the hallway, until he saw what he assumed was a doctor. He stopped him.

"What happened to the girl in that room?"

"Blond-haired girl? Coma?" The doctor asked.

"That's her."

"She was moved to another area of the hospital."

"Why?"

"Her mother asked us to, and as we saw no harm in it -"

'Joyce. Who would've thought you had any intelligence?'

Angelus grabbed the doctor by his shirt, and held back a snarl. "Where is she?"

He looked the man over who was holding him more carefully, and knew from description and his current predicament, that this man was dangerous.

"I'm sorry. I can't reveal that."

"Listen to me. I can do one of two things. If you tell me, I let you go. If you don't, I can kill you and tear this building apart until I find her. Your choice."

"I won't." The doctor squeaked out, still trying to appear unfazed. Plus he figured that this was a hospital. With potential witnesses. The man had to be bluffing. But he was wrong.

"Don't you know the brave ones are always the first to go?" He snapped the doctor's neck, and threw him to the ground.

"Security to the third floor. Security to the -" A nurse said into an intercom on the wall.

Angelus rushed over to the woman, and knocked her to the floor. Tears were forming in her eyes. "I know you're not as foolish as the doctor. Are you?"

The woman didn't move or speak.

"Tell me what I want to know."

"She wasn't on my rounds, I don't -"

"Wrong answer."

"Wait!" She said frantically. "I can find out."

"Better answer."

***

Everyone got to the hospital, and went to the wing on the lower level where they said Buffy was moved. They were all pretty much regulars, so the staff recognized them, and didn't bother them. But one of the women at the reception desk saw where they were headed, and ran to them hurriedly this time.

"Are you going to see Miss Summers?"

"Yes. Is something wrong?" Giles asked.

"It's not safe. There's this crazed man, and the guards have -"

They ran past the woman, ignoring her warnings.

"He isn't going to take her from me.he isn't going to take her from me." Willow kept repeating to herself.

***

He stood in Buffy's room. Seeing the machines, the tubes, the wires.he was getting a rush of pleasure just from the sight before him. He walked to her beside.

"We could've made such a good team." He kicked the plug for the heart monitor out of the wall. "But you made your choice."

He bent down to her face. "I'd say goodbye, but.let's just get this over with." He removed the ventilator tube from her mouth, and started to push down on her throat.

***

As they raced into the hallway, Willow completely hunched over and nearly screamed. "He's.he's killing her. We have to -"

One of the security guards came running down. His face was bloody, and his shirt was torn. "He's a monster! Don't go." He kept running.

When they got closer to Buffy's room, they saw more guards' bodies piled up.

'Come on, Goddess. If I ever needed you, it's now.'

***

"Remove yourself from this room." The Goddess said, appearing from behind Angelus.

"Not this time. I'm not finished."

"Remove yourself now." He ignored her. "I banish you from this room. I cleanse it of your evil, and may the goodness of this girl and all she represents torment and torture you."

Angelus tried to fight the sensations trying to overpower him, but it was gaining strength. His flesh started to crawl, and he felt like he was burning. His head started to throb, feeling like it was about to explode.

"I spare you because it is not my duty to kill you. I leave that pleasurable task up to this girl and her partner. And believe me when say that I sincerely hope it is slow and painful for you."

He was flung from the room, and the Goddess vanished.

***

They reached Buffy's door just as Angelus slumped against the wall. Willow ran over and saw he was shaking.

"Does it hurt? Here, let me help." Using a combination of slayer and Wicca ability, Willow threw him down the hall, and he crashed into the doors. "I don't think he'll try anything else, but watch him anyway." She moved to go into the room.

"Good luck." Giles asked.

"We're all here for you." Joyce said, as her friends nodded.

"Thanks. And you too, Wesley. Without you."

"No need, Willow." He said, even though he was touched.

"Here goes nothing."

***

"Hey." She said to Buffy. "You ready?"

She set candles in a circle at the side of the bed, on the floor. Pink, for love and friendship; White, for peace; Red for protection, passion, strength, and courage; Orange, for vitality; and Purple, for intense healing. She stood in the middle of the circle, and then sat down.

She lit each of the candles, and pulled a bowl, ingredients, and a knife from her duffel bag. She put a dove feather in the bowl, and a powder that held healing properties. She needed something. Symbols of their union.

She took her ring off, and put it in the bowl. She stood up, and leaned over Buffy.

"Just need to borrow this." She carefully got Buffy's ring off her finger, and put in the bowl.

The final ingredient was some of her blood. Jonas wrote that for a soul to leave its mate's body, it needed something from that person, something familiar in its body to entice it to return. Blood was the best choice.

So Willow took the knife, and cut her finger slightly. She let a few drops fall into the bowl.

Now the true test. She stood once more, and gripped Buffy's hand.

"Help me, okay?" Willow shut her eyes. "With complete love, trust, and friendship, I call on my soulmate within. It is time to return back to the body to which you were born. Our joining is forever, but you must take your rightful place.

"Return knowing that we are one. That flesh is a necessary boundary between us."

She felt Buffy begin to shake. She felt herself start to shake.

"Our feelings surpass the body. Take comfort in the fact that we are not weakened by minor separation. That the love and feelings are expressed in every possible way. Return to this plane. This physical world. Come back so we can be together as we were meant to. Not just our souls, but our minds and bodies as well. Come back. Come back to me."

The candles flickered, and the contents of the bowl, created energy in the air, a bright blue energy, that went right into Buffy. Their convulsing increased, and Willow felt something leave, as well as stay.

After a few seconds, it was over. The candles were out, and sometime during the course of the.whatever happened, Willow ended up on the floor. She cleared her head, and jumped up to see if it worked.

Buffy's eyes slowly came open, and she smiled. Willow thought she was going to faint. She had so many things she wanted to say, do, but she had to tell everyone. She squeezed Buffy's hand, and smiled when Buffy squeezed back.

"I'll be right back, okay? Gotta go tell your mom and everyone. Right back. So don't go anywhere."

Buffy rolled her eyes, and Willow went to go get their friends.

***

Later, Willow sat at Buffy's bedside late after the big welcome back, and after the hectic time they had with the cops, and trying to explain what happened to the guards outside in the hallway.

'Will? You there?'

Willow was a little startled. 'Whoa. It's been a long time.'

'Too long. Come sit the bed up for me?' She got up, and hit the remote, and the bed moved so Buffy was in a sitting position. 'Now come closer.'

'Why?'

"So I can kiss you." Buffy said aloud, but softly.

Willow leaned in immediately and kissed her soulmate. Her friend. It had been so long. There was a passion and a gentleness to it at first, and then Willow increased it, needing to feel her breath, her warmth. Just to make sure it was real.

And then they stopped, and Willow broke down into sobs. Partly out of sadness, but mostly out of joy. She had been holding it in for months, and it all came pouring out.

"I missed you so much.I."

Buffy put her arm around her, and felt tears start to come as well. Her body had been doing nothing, and she had no way to release her emotions. This was a relief for her. She could feel again, feel Willow again.

"God, I missed you too. But I knew you'd do it."

"Now that I have you again.I don't want to let you go."

"Then don't."

And Willow didn't. In fact, she gripped Buffy tighter. "Love you."

"I love you too, Will. I love you too."

They both cried until they couldn't anymore, and fell asleep content in the knowledge that everything was restored, and that they were in each other's arms.

"When I held that gun, I felt an incredible surge of power. Like God must feel when he's holding a gun.." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You've been fighting evil here for three years, and I've helped some, and now we're supposed to decide what we want to do with our lives. And I just realized that that's what I want to do. Fight evil, help people. I mean, I think it's worth doing. And I don't think you do it because you have to. It's a good fight, Buffy, and I want in."

"I kind of love you."
(Willow Rosenberg, Buffy Summers, BTVS)

"Don't.."
"What? Don't love you? I didn't know I got a choice in that."
(Angel, Buffy Summers, BTVS)