FIC: Questioning

Hey.

It's a shorty. I use "Love of My Life" here. Words by Dave Matthews and Carlos Santana. Sung by Dave Matthews. Off Santana's newest album, "Supernatural".

QUESTIONING

Buffy sat at her dresser, just staring at her reflection in the mirror. She was going to do it. No matter what happened, no matter what risks would arise, and no matter what demons might haunt her. She was prepared. She was ready.

With a determined nod, she stood and moved towards the door of her room. Then she stopped short.

But what if she wasn't ready? What if she wasn't strong enough? It would probably be a struggle. And what if she couldn't...? Sure she had overcome challenges before, but this was on a totally different level.

The Master, Acathla and Angelus, the Mayor, her junior year of college, they all seemed to pale to the task ahead of her. The end of the world. That's what would happen if she failed. And it was too important to even think about failing. She had to commit to this. She had been waiting a long time. And the time was here. Do or die. Don't or die.

Not much of a choice. She wanted the first choice so badly.

If she could pull it off, if she could find the confidence in herself to keep it together, there would be great rewards. Great, spectacular, wonderful rewards. And the best things were worth fighting for. And what could be better than the world? The one she had sworn to protect? Her world.

She was going into territory that she never thought she'd set foot on. Going somewhere she never thought she ever would. The rest of her life hung in the balance.

It was frightening, but exciting. It was a rush. She didn't question what was about to take place, or what she knew inside her, she just was worried she'd let...

There was a soft knock at her door, and then it opened. Willow came in, and walked over to her.

"You ready?"

She needed to stop thinking for a few minutes. She just needed to feel. To clear everything. If she were strong enough, her heart would tell her. Her brain wasn't helping boost her confidence. It was just raising more questions. The heart never lied, and it hadn't failed her yet.

"Dance with me?" Buffy asked turning on her radio.

Willow looked at her for a second, and then she heard the song. She smiled, and wrapped her arms around Buffy's neck.

"Are you okay?"

"Ssh." Buffy whispered quietly, as they began to sway slowly to the music.

(Where you are, that's where I wanna be
And through your eyes, all the things I wanna see
And in the night, you are my dream

(You're everything to me
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

(I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

(Everyday, every night, you alone
You're the love of my life
Everyday, every night, you alone,
You're the love of my life

(We go dancing in the moonlight
With the starlight in your eyes
We go dancing till the sunrise
You and me we're gonna dance, dance, dance)

When the instrumental section came on, and the song sped up, they stopped dancing. Buffy realized that it wasn't just her who had to work at it, Willow had to also. And her doubt was washed away, because they both wanted this, and they'd both be working together. This was where she, where they both, wanted to be.

She started to cry softly.

"Buffy, why are you crying?"

"I'm just happy, Will. Incredibly, in fact."

"Good to know I'm not the only one."

"You'll never be the only one again. I promise."

They kissed, and headed for the door.

"Wait. Isn't it bad luck for -" Willow started.

"Relax, that's only if there's a groom involved."

Smiling at each other, they left the room hand in hand, their white dresses trailing behind them.

"If I could just say a few words...I'd be a better public speaker." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You know what the secret of life is?"
"Your finger?"
"One thing. Just one thing."
"That's great, but what's the one thing?"
"That's what you gotta figure out."
(Jack Palance, Billy Crystal, City Slickers)

"I heard your heartbeat." (Buffy Summers, to Angel, ANGEL)