Re: Whole 'Coming Out' thing

Now, as to 'coming out' in Buffy and Willow's case. I don't think it would
be that big of a deal. I think the only ones who would have trouble with it
would be Xander, at first, and Joyce. But the world population at large,
why should they care about that?

What world do you live in Pat because I want to move there. :-)

The world never cared about them before. No loss. Besides if a >college
hangs a large 'Lesbian Alliance' banner in it's lounge, it >seems pretty
open to me.

It's tough being Gay in this world and the banner in the lounge doesn't mean
the college on the whole is open minded.

Now, I don't know what 'coming out' is like for the real(though I'd imagine
it's difficult), reality-type people, but in Two Of a Kind I tried dealing
with it the best way I knew how. It was easier for Joyce because at the
time she had just had come to terms with her daughter battling demons.
Anything found out after that, in small time frame, would pale in
comparison.

Now I went to the extreme with Willow's parents. They kicked her out,
because of religious beliefs. But when Willow went into the synagogue, and
her father was sitting in there too and heard her, he realized what an ass
he'd been.

I liked that story and thought it was rather close to being real--except for
Willow's father backing down.

I dunno. I just think trying to write a realistic 'coming out' stor
wouldn't work in the BTVS Universe. Y

Don't you think the entire "Buffy comes out of the Slayer Closet" wasn't a
real coming out story? The way Joyce handled it was exactly how parent deal
with their Gay children. First they over react, and then accept it because
they love the child. Even a lot of Run aways are gay teenagers who were
kicked out their homes by their parents for being gay.

ou could spend a whole fic on how outsiders perceive them, but they never
really cared about outsiders in the first place(high school) and I tend to
think college people would handle it better anyway.

Buffy did care what the outsiders in High School thought about her--at
first--then with the support from Willow and Xander she grew out of it. And
college people are just older High School students.

But what do I know?

You actually know a great deal and your writing reflects it. The fact that
you even considered this idea, of making Willow's and Buffy's coming out
more realistic, shows why your writing is so good. It also shows how open
minded you are to consider other people's view point--even when you don't
agree--I think that proves that you DO KNOW alot.