FIC: A Night In

Hey.

Combination if 'Moon' and 'Coming Out'. Something I've been playing with for the past two days. Let me know what you think.

A NIGHT IN

"You're sure you two will be all right?" Joyce asked trying to hurry and rush out the door. "I wouldn't leave but the gallery."

Buffy and Willow were lying upside down staring at the brand-new entertainment center. It was the weekend, and they had left the dorm to come visit. Well, that's what they said.

"We're college girls, we can handle ourselves." Buffy said.

"Maybe, but I've read the percent of college kids who drink."

"That's on campus only. The kegs are safely locked away in our dorm."

"We don't. She doesn't know what she says." Willow said defending herself and her image. "And if we did, it'd be non-alcoholic."

"How come I get the feeling this weekend visit is just to watch the new TV?"

"It's an entertainment center. Geez. You bought it and you don't even know what it's called? Besides, I had to see what you bought since you don't have to spend money on me anymore."

"Tuition?"

"Oh." Buffy blushed. "Yeah. But we have to put this baby to good use. Or, since you're busy most of the time, we could take it to our room -"

"But Buffy it won't -" She clamped her hand over Willow's mouth. "Mefpht."

"I don't think so. Let your friend breathe, and I have to go. Behave."

"Love you too, mom."

"Byffph, Mersh. Supthers." Willow pulled Buffy's hand off her mouth finally, and she started to tickle her side. Buffy's laughter started to become more hysterical. "I'll keep her in line."

"I'm sure you will, Willow."

Joyce shook her head smiling, and walked out the door.

***

Buffy was dragging Willow to the kitchen. Once they got there, she started shuffling through the cabinets. She picked out a large bowl, shoved it into Willow's hands, and went directly to the fridge.

"But.movie."

"All in good time my best, witchy, friend. A high fat and calorie dessert is necessary first."

"Whoa. You have other witch friends? Mixed feelings."

"You're my only, witch and best, friend." Willow smiled. "Except."

"Excepts are bad. No excepts."

"Does a Witch Hazel doll count?"

She breathed a sigh of relief. "No. Especially cause she tried to cook Bugs Bunny in a cauldron."

"Who doesn't try to cook Bugs Bunny in an oversized pot? Catch."

Buffy tossed her the hot fudge, and she put it on the counter.

"Touché."

"Ooh! M&M's." She tossed Willow the bag.

"Shouldn't we call Xander?"

"I did. His phone was busy. That means that -"

"He and Anya are -"

They shuddered, and continued gathering the items essential for a large sundae. They used vanilla ice cream. A lot of vanilla ice cream.

"Didn't you feel bad for Elmer though?" Buffy asked, trying to scoop.

"He hunted animals."

"But he never did a good job."

"That's a good thing."

"Depends on what way you're looking at it. If hunting is what you do, you want to be successful at it."

"Well.if we're looking at that way.you blow up the entire forest with ACME TNT, and hope the wabbit gets cooked."

Buffy stuck the last scoop in the bowl. "That's quite a dark side. Even for a cartoon."

"No it's not. Every cartoon had somebody blowing up. It's not me. It's the cartoons. They were sick.and yet strangely funny."

"The fifty's were a wacky time."

"The wackiest. Is it topping time?" Willow said giddily.

"Greatest part of the making of a sundae. Next to the application of whipped cream and hot fudge, of course."

"Of course."

***

The microwave was warming up the hot fudge, but for the most part their masterpiece was finished. Topped with miniature Reese's Peanut-butter Cups, Hershey Kisses, M&M's, and jimmies, it was just waiting for the final touches. The beep signified the fudge was done.

Buffy got it out, and walked over to the bowl. "Would you like to do the honors?"

"Really? I mean.this is an important part.this makes or breaks everything we've done. That's a lot of pressure."

She put her hand on Willow's shoulder and handed her the bottle. "I have the utmost confidence in your fudge-applying ability."

"Well.if you think I can."

"Have faith my redheaded Wicca."

"Here goes nothing."

Willow slowly squeezed the bottle in such a way that when the fudge hit the highest scoop, it cascaded over and down the others like a waterfall. No swirling of the bottle, no movement, was necessary.

"It's a work of art. Emeril couldn't do better."

"I didn't know I could do that."

"Must be a gift. Now, the whipped cream." Buffy grabbed the canister off the counter, and unscrewed the lid. "Always sample." She sprayed some in her mouth, sprayed some in her mouth, and swallowed. "Open up."

She pointed at Willow's mouth. "But -"

"No buts."

Willow opened her mouth and Buffy sprayed some in. She swallowed, smiling, and then she saw Buffy staring at her. "What?"

"You've got some on your -"

Then she felt it. A little whipped cream had missed its mark, and ended up on the corner of her mouth. But she didn't move to lick it off. "Oh."

They just stood there looking at each other. Something was happening. Something was changing. In the silence, they could hear the other's breathing. After about a minute, Willow realized she had to get them out of.whatever they were in. She went to lick it off.

"No, I'll get it."

Buffy wasn't quite sure why she said that, because she knew Willow was perfectly capable, but she wanted to. She reached her finger out, and gathered the rebellious whipped cream on her fingertip. She saw Willow's eyes close briefly.

Then, she quickly licked the whipped cream off her finger. Her friend whimpered.

"All clean?" Willow nodded. "Then let's go.enjoy this."

"Sounds good to me."

They walked out of the kitchen in a haze.

***

Willow walked over by the front door of the house and looked out the window while Buffy was putting the movie in the VCR. It was the full moon. A lot of things got thrown out of whack when the full moon was up. And emotions were at the top of the list. What had happened in the kitchen?

Something, that was for sure. Definitely something. The first thought that crossed her mind, after the thoughts of the possible outcomes for what could have happened in the kitchen, was it was a desert fluke. But the more she thought about it, she knew it was no fluke. It was feelings.nice feelings.

Xander was a fluke. Buffy was.

"Thinking about him?" Buffy asked coming behind her.

"Him? Oh Oz.full moon and change.no.not really."

"No?"

"It's not like I don't.just.don't do it so much anymore. I guess you were right. It does get easier."

"Everybody benefits from the pain that is mine. Come on. It's gonna melt."

"Can't have that."

***

Sitting up against the couch, they put the bowl between them, and grabbed one large spoon each. Buffy hit play on the remote, and they watched the previews come on. They began eating in silence.

What had just happened between them? She didn't know, but a part of her liked it. A very big part. She found herself questioning and re-evaluating every moment, every world, and every hug, which the two of them shared.

But why? Because of one little dab of whipped cream? No.though they had never made sundaes before together.but that was just plain stupid. She was grasping at straws. They spent a lot of time together with each other lately, because that's what college roommates did. Especially the ones who were absent lives.

They certainly fit into that category. But why now? Maybe it was the full moon. Brought emotions to the surface. Being there together. No worries accept how much ice cream could they eat before they got sick.

"I hate this." She said finally. Had to say something, right?

"Hate what?" Willow asked, glad for talk as well.

"The previews always last twenty minutes long."

She took another spoonful of the sundae, gathering up as much as she could.

"Topping hog!"

She dueled spoons with Buffy until the Slayer relented.

"I give. I give."

"Why don't you fast forward then?"

She ate slowly to rub in her victory.

"I like to watch."

"But you just said." Willow trailed off, thinking it was better to let it go. "Hey you know what we should do?"

"What?"

"Go make some vampires real angry, make them chase us back here, run in and leave the door open, then laugh and tease them as they try to get in."

"You okay?"

"Sorry. I think I was channeling Xander's brain. Oh wait. That was mean, wasn't it?"

"Just a little."

Both girls started to crack up.

***

Soon, the incident in the kitchen was pushed to the back of their minds. Still there, just the tension gone. The crappiness of the movie led to more frenzied eating and hurried attempts to find something to do that didn't require cash, leaving of the house, or the gaining of more pounds.

They settled on board games.

"Scrabble?" Willow asked.

"Still can't spell Mississippi. So.no."

"Monopoly?"

"Don't have a bank account."

"Chess?"

"Too violent. I'm violent enough already."

"Trouble?"

"Now that's something I'm good at."

The box was opened and the pieces placed. Willow pushed on the 'dice bubble' and got a five. Buffy got a two. Willow went again. She got a six.

"I go first!"

"You sound way too glad about that, Will."

"You're not the only one who likes to cause trouble."

Willow put her hand on the bubble, and Buffy a bit miffed, put her hand atop her friend's. She had been planning on defending herself, but the touch of their hands was electric. Logically they knew it would probably be a good idea to just ignore it and play the game, but neither of them moved.

"Ooh! You have a Quija board."

Willow jumped up and went to get it. Buffy sighed in relief, but was also a little disappointed. They should have been dealing with it. She knew Willow felt it too. The more she thought about it, the more she knew what that feeling was.

What was happening? She was realizing that she loved her best friend.

***

Willow didn't know why she wanted to use the Quija board. That would have just led to more touching.dangerous thing to do. But she also wanted an excuse to feel the sensation that coursed through her body. When Buffy got the whipped cream off of her, and when their hands touched on the dice bubble. She knew there was a reason the game was called Trouble.

Buffy helped her put the game away. Rather quickly too. She could see her friend was feeling the same effects she was. The quiet was nice. That meant they didn't have to deal with it. But if they didn't.there'd be alienation.complications.bad, bad, bad.

But she.she was thinking maybe she loved her.

They sat the Quija board up next to the bowl that held the remnants of their sundae, one that they'd be paying for tomorrow, and stuck their fingers on the magnifier. They suppressed their thoughts.

"With the moon and all, it should be a really good night for this. Better connection. You want me to ask the first question?"

"Sure."

"Will Oz come back to me?"

Boyfriend. Remembering the boyfriend was good. The magnifier moved.

'NO'

"No? And why not?" That was scary.

'YOU'

'DON'T'

'WANT'

"Is it right?" Buffy asked. Now it was getting freaky.

"Don't be silly. It's just a dumb game."

"Why doesn't she want him back?"

'HAS'

'LOVE'

"What's that mean?" Willow asked.

'YOU'

'KNOW'

"You do?"

"I don't."

Buffy took a deep breath. "There's talking that needs to be done, isn't there?"

"I think so." Willow responded quietly.

"What's happening?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Yeah. I was just trying to start off and build our way up. But if you want to get right to it, I'm game if you are."

"Well we've been avoiding all night, so that'd probably be good."

"Here it goes. If I said I loved you, what would you do right now?"

"Shock would come first.a little bit of disbelief.worry.gladness.happiness. Then I'd probably say ditto."

"And if I said I'd wanted to kiss you since the kitchen?"

"Another big ditto."

"And if I said I was scared out of my mind?"

"Big Ditto squared. Cubed. Quadrupled even."

"And if I said that I really didn't care about that at the moment cause all I want to do right now is kiss you?"

Willow pulled Buffy to her and kissed her like her life from that point on depended on it. It felt good. Really good. It wasn't supposed to.it shouldn't have.but it did, and she couldn't fight it anymore. And now that she was doing what had fogged up her brain for most of the night, she didn't want to fight it.

She felt Buffy moan into her mouth, she wasn't expecting it, and broke off the kiss abruptly. Something in her clicked. She realized what just happened, what it meant, and also she wasn't as scared as she thought. "Wow.I love you.I love you. I -"

"I got that." Buffy said now lying on the floor. She couldn't seem to sit up after that.

"No. I mean.the gay thing."

"Oh."

"We're gay now, right?"

"If by that you mean happy, than yes. If you mean because we just said we loved each other and had an amazing, mind blowing kiss.well, then yeah."

"Have you ever.before?"

"Never really thought about it. You're really.I dunno."

"What?"

"The only person I've ever.I guess I like to think I love someone because I like who they are as a person. Not based on gender. Just because I've gone out with guys."

"You mean if you really got to know a girl you might."

"Right. Like you. But a few years ago I probably wouldn't have thought too much about it. My priorities are in other, more earth protecting places now. Not what gender I might like. That's just a stupid thing to worry about.

"If I love someone, I love someone. Can't help it. And I'll take love where I can get it."

Willow frowned. "Why do you do that? It makes me really upset when you do that."

"Do what?"

"Have to go search for love, and you think nobody will love you back."

"Maybe you can help me then. But wait a second. What about you?"

"Gay or not gay. That is the question. Maybe. I've had one crush and one semi-serious relationship. And he left. I've never thought much about it either. What do I know?"

"And I'm the one selling myself short? Miss 1560 on my SAT's."

"That's different."

"Not as different as you think.but I'll drop it."

"So, what do we do?"

"Set a 'coming out' date?"

"Huh?"

"Well we have to pick when we're going to destroy our family and friends perception of us."

"Do we? I mean really? We should just do what we want."

"Around them? Without telling them first?"

"If they're really friends, and family, they'll accept. This is our lives, we're out of the house, so why do we have to make a big production?"

"Different approach."

"Now that we know, I don't wanna hide. Been hiding most of my life. Plus I live on the Hellmouth. Every moment counts."

"I hear that. Well, I'm behind ya. Could be rough, though."

"When aren't our lives rough?"

"You're making a lot of sense."

Willow leaned over Buffy, smiling. "Must be the moon. Clearer thinking. Buffy, I love you. It makes me happy just saying that. This can't be wrong. Can it?"

"I love you too. That does sound good. No.this isn't wrong. It's not even different. Pretty soon I bet the amount of SG's and OG's will be about the same."

"That's a Buffy prediction. They usually come true."

"I also predict a kiss in my future."

"And I'm on the receiving end?"

"As long as you don't move and I end up tasting the carpet."

"Won't move. Not a problem."

"Good." Buffy pulled Willow down to the ground with her, and she was the one who initiated their second kiss. "I can't see ever getting tired of doing that."

"Me either."

"Excuse me?" Joyce asked, standing by the recently opened door, a wide-eyed look on her face.

***

"I hope you know what you're doing." Buffy whispered to Willow.

"I'll wait on the porch." Willow got up, and moved past Joyce. "Bye Mrs. Summers." She shut the door.

"I know. I'll clean up before I go." Buffy said gathering up the bowl, and putting away the board games.

"Um.when."

"About five minutes ago."

"How did you -"

She shrugged. "Just did."

"Why?"

"Why does anybody love anyone?"

"You love her? And that doesn't answer my question."

"Sure it does. Why did you love dad? He was never around, and he left us. How could you love a guy who turned out to be a jerk?"

"Because.I just did. It's not something I could help. I loved him."

"Bingo. There's your answer."

"How'd this get turned around? And that doesn't -"

"I'm not trying to turn it around. Love knows no gender. Hey, that's good. I should write that down."

"Willow -"

"Is someone you know, and is a nice, funny, intelligent person. Doesn't do drugs, isn't an alcoholic, she likes witchcraft, sure, but that's a valid choice. Considering the locale. And she's cute too."

"You think she's -"

"Don't you?"

"Well."

"Either you do or you don't."

Buffy waited for a second, then walked into the kitchen and put the bowl in the sink. "That it?"

"I.I." Joyce stood at the entranceway. "I guess so."

"Great. I ate more dairy then I should have, and I'm beat. We'll go back to campus." She moved past her mom and went to the front door

"Buffy."

"Yeah?"

"Nothing."

"Then I'll be by tomorrow. We'll talk some more if you want. Love you mom."

"Love you too."

Buffy walked out the door, and Joyce watched out the window as the two of them walked down the street, hands linked. When she really thought about it, and Buffy's explanation made sense that she couldn't argue with, what was so different?

Shaking her head, she went to wash the dishes.

***

Halfway there, Buffy started laughing.

"What is it?"

"It's stupid."

"No, what?"

"It's just.we spent the night in, and it ended with us coming out."

Willow had to think a second, then she realized that was indeed a stupid joke, but couldn't help laughing with her.

"I have misplaced my pants." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You know what the secret of life is?"
"Your finger?"
"One thing. Just one thing."
"That's great, but what's the one thing?"
"That's what you gotta figure out."
(Jack Palance, Billy Crystal, City Slickers)

"I heard your heartbeat." (Buffy Summers, to Angel, ANGEL)