FIC: The Road to Recovery (5/?)

Title: The Road to Recovery (5/?)
Author: Kimber (kacoe@xxxxxxx)
Disclaimer: All BTVS characters belong to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. If girl-girl
action bothers you then you’re on the wrong list.
else, e-mail me please.
Author's Notes: The more feedback I get the more fic I write. . .nuff said. Thoughts are
enclosed in < >
------------

“So this guy. She dated him in college?”

“Yes.”

”And now they’re together again?”

“No. They broke up two years ago. They both thought it was for the best. She hasn’t
been with anyone since then. She is roommates with Xander though, if you can believe
that.”

“I believe it.” He smiled.

“Riley was. . .he was kind of the last straw. They both had the same ends but their means
clashed. She’s all theory thanks to Giles and he’s all science thanks to the government.”

“I see.”

”So if the Initiative is closing down and moving camp then this must be their final
project here in Sunnydale.” She fell into thought for a moment. “They’re killing babies,
Angel. It’s so horrible. Half-demon or not, how could anyone live with themselves?”

He shook his head. “It’s more of a job to them. They don’t see the human side of it, the
side with emotions and feelings. They just see them as. . .what do they call them again?”

“HST’s. So what are we gonna do?”

“I’m going to stick around and see what else I can find out. You two can head back to
L.A. Check on Wesley and the couple, make sure they don’t need anything and that they’re
safe. Cordelia knows where the petty cash is. I’ll drive you to the airstrip. An old
friend of mine owes me a favor.”

”Private jet?” Cordelia chimed in.

“No. Helicopter. It’s not much, but you’ll be back in L.A. in an hour or so.” He got up
from the couch. “Why don’t you get your stuff together. I want to drop you off within
the hour.”

They agreed and headed off to the bedroom. Cordelia emerged from the room after a few
minutes and approached Angel. “Hey.”

”Hey. How is she?”

She shrugged. “Okay. It was bad, Angel, wasn’t it? I mean she told me some of it but. .
.”

“Really bad. Never in 246 years did I ever. . “

”I know. I mean I don’t know everything, but I know enough to know.”

”You’re good for her.” He smiled. <Good for me too.>

”You think? I’m trying to be her friend but it’s a little hard. There’s so much mucky
stuff to get through from the past. You know?”

He nodded. <All too well.> “Cordelia. If she can forgive me for what I did to her then
she can forgive you.”

”I do. Forgive you I mean.”

He smiled sadly. “But, Cordy. . .if I ever, I mean. . “

”If you ever I swear you would so be fertilizing my plants!”

He chuckled. “Good to know.”

Willow came out of the bedroom with bags in tow. “You two ready?”

They nodded and Cordelia walked past her. “I just have to grab my bags.”

“Give me a half-hour and we’ll go. I have something to take care of first.” He walked
out the door.

Willow shook her head. “Always the mystery man.”

--------------

“Damn it! I should have known better than to trust her.” He was standing in the spot she
stood last night. There were signs that someone had been there. A fire pit, footprints
that weren’t theirs. Had he been more careful he would have noticed it last night. Now
the demons were far ahead of them.

“I don’t know. I find her kind of trustworthy.”

He turned. “Show yourself. Who are you?”

He stepped out from behind a tree. “A friend.”

”I don’t need a friend.”

”Didn’t say I was yours.” He walked closer so they were about three feet apart. “There’s
more to this than you know.”

”How do you know what I know?”

“You should back off of this one, Riley. It’s no concern of yours.”

“How do you know my name? Who the hell are you?” He stepped forward and looked at his
face closer. “You’re not human.”

”That’s right. I’m not human and you’ve forgotten how to act like one. Killing babies?
I’d figure you for a humanitarian, not a murderer.”

”They’re demon spawn, not children. Small HST’s that may seem harmless now, but when they
reach adulthood. . .why am I explaining this to you?”

“He has a way of getting people to open up. It’s one of his better qualities.” Buffy
stepped out from behind some bushes.

Angel turned. “Buffy.”

Riley looked back and forth between them. “You know each other?”

Xander stepped out from behind the bush too. “Dead boy. Should have known.” He pulled a
stake out from his pocket.

“Xander.” Angel nodded his head to the boy. “And could you not call me that?”

Buffy tried to ignore their exchange. “You look good.”

Angel looked at her. “You too.”

”Could someone please tell me what’s going on?” Riley yelled and they all looked at him.
He moved over next to Buffy. “You two know this. . . .vampire?”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah. . .he’s an old, um, acquaintance.”

Angel winced at her words. “I know what you’re doing, Finn, you and your military boys.”

“Good. Could you clue us in cuz we’re a little confused.” Xander added.

“Killing babies.” Angel said.

Riley shook his head. “Demons. HST’s. . .not children.” He turned to Buffy. “You were
there, you witnessed a birth. They come out. . .”

“Demon born, human raised. You’re not giving them a chance to become human.” Angel
interjected. “It stops now. You won’t hurt them, I won’t let you.”

“And who’s gonna stop me?”

“I am.” He walked over next to Angel. “Sorry it took so long, mate, you suck with
directions.”

Riley threw his hands up in frustration. “Hostile 17?” He turned to Buffy. “Are you on
a first name basis with all the HST’s in this town?”

She laughed. “No, just these two.” She turned. “Spike. Good to see you. I think.”

Angel turned to Riley. “I want to make a deal with you. Give me a week and you won’t see
the Badahu demons again. Unless of course you want to.”

”The Initiative wants them wiped out. They’re a threat to the community.”

Spike stepped in front of them. “They’re no threat to you, you wanker! They’re just
trying to live their lives. They didn’t expect to be hunted down and send into
extinction. Now you’ve got the Slayer involved and I’ll bet you didn’t even tell her the
whole story.”

“Spike.” Angel warned behind him.

“So that’s the whole story? They’re peaceful, not hostile, and you still want them
dead.” Buffy turned accusingly to Riley. “And you were gonna tell us this when?”

“Look, I have a job to do, the less you knew the better. . .”

”And I have a job to do too.” Angel interjected. “These people are under my protection
and you won’t harm them. You give me a week and you’ll never see them again.”

Riley shook his head. “They’re not people, they’re animals like you. You don’t know what
your asking.”

”I do know and it’s not that hard. Just continue to follow Buffy on these wild goose
chases. After a week she can start to really track them. If she can’t find them, you
never will.”

He looked at Angel and stepped up to him until they were nose to nose. “A week. Then
they’re fair game.”

”Good choice.”

”Was there really any other?” He narrowed his eyebrows.

“Yeah. . .” He shifted into game face. “. . .but I don’t think you would have liked
it.” He stepped back, gave one last look to Buffy and walked away with Spike two steps
behind him.

He turned to Buffy and she shook her head. “Don’t. Just don’t.”

“Fine. I’m going. I have some fake demons to track.” He walked away.

“Coming Buff?” Xander said from behind her.

“No. I’ll do a quick sweep then be home in time for Nightline. I need to get rid of some
of this energy.” She smiled at him. “Save me some donuts.”

They walked off in opposite directions.

---------------

“Where the hell is he? I wanna get out of this one Starbucks town already.” Cordelia was
standing at the window, looking out into the darkness.

“He’s not gonna get here any faster if you stand there. It’ll only seem like it’s taking
longer.” Willow was stretched out on the couch, flipping through a magazine.

She walked over to the couch and finally sat down. “I just don’t like it that we could
get caught. Buffy and Xander. . .”

”They’re probably at home watching TV and eating left over donuts.”

“He went to see her you know.”

Willow looked up. “I know, and neither one of us could have stopped him.”

On cue, Angel walked in and tossed his keys on the table. He stomped to the refrigerator
and pulled out a packet of blood, poured it into a glass, and drank it down in one gulp.
He looked over at them. “What?”

Willow sat up. “First of all, wipe off that face. Second of all, how did you think you’d
feel after you saw her?”

“I don’t know. How did you feel when you saw Oz again?” He meant for it to cut but
couldn’t stop himself from saying it out loud.

She stood up. “For your information, I never did see Oz again.” She walked off to the
bedroom.

“Willow. Willow, wait!” He called after her but she closed the door behind her. He took
the glass and threw it against the wall, pieces flew all over.

Cordelia glared at him from the couch. “Nice going Mr. Insensitive dead-guy. We’re
supposed to be helping her not making her feel worse.” Cordelia marched off to the room
too.

“Tell her I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it.” He called after her.

She turned. “Tell her yourself. That is if she can ever look you in the face again.”
She opened the door and walked in, locking it behind her.

---------------

“Will.”

She looked up, her eyes blood shot from crying. “I’m okay.”

”It was mean.”

“It was true. I knew it would hurt him if I said it.”

“And he knew he’d hurt you, now you’re even.”

She nodded. “You know, as much as I hated him for hurting Buffy. . .Now I hate to see him
hurt over her. It’s like I hate them both for hurting each other.” She sighed. “They
both mean different things to me.”

Cordelia sat down. “I know. I was never close with Buffy but with Angel. . .he broods in
his office all day and I know it’s over her. I just wish he’d get over it already. Even
if it’s just a little bit.”

“I’m over Oz. . .over his hurting me anyway. . .I’m not crying over that, I just. . .” She
shrugged. “Oh, Cordy, it’s all so complicated.” She reached over to the night stand and
took two more pills.

“Don’t you have a limit with those things?” She took the bottle and read it. “Take one a
day with a glass of milk.” She looked at her. “Will, you’ve taken four today, are you
trying to. . “

“No! No way. I’ve been taking them since, well, for about 6 months now and I think I’ve
built up an immunity to them, that’s all.” She looked into her eyes. “I’ll be fine
really. I don’t want to hurt myself. Just the opposite.”

She brushed some hair away from her face. “Okay.” It was a simple, friendly gesture. So
then why did it feel so. . .electric. She bent down slowly, never breaking eye contact.
She was going to kiss her. Kiss Willow! Never in a million years had she ever thought,
well, maybe once or twice, but still. . .

They were startled by a crash from the living room. Cordelia got up and went to the door
to peek out. “Damn.”

”Cordy, what is it?” She came up to stand next to her. “Damn. Xander.”

”Stay here. He can’t see you but he can see me.” She walked out and closed the door
behind her.

Angel was in game-face against the wall. Xander had him pinned there with a loaded
crossbow to his chest.

“Xander. Don’t kill my dead boss!”

He looked over at her shocked. It was just enough time for Angel to grab the crossbow and
break it in two across his knee.

“What are you doing here?” He looked between Angel and Cordelia. “You’re not. . .I mean
you couldn’t be. . .” He made a face.

”No, Xander. Unlike you I don’t want to sleep with every woman I’m friends with.” Angel
commented.

“We work together. Hello? Or have you not been reading the letters I’ve sent you?” Her
hands were on her hips and she was fast changing into bitch Cordelia mode. “or haven’t
you learned to read yet you big oaf?!”

“Cordy, I just wanted. . .”

”You just wanted to storm in here with half a brain like you always do and try to hurt
Angel. He’s trying to help you and Buffy.”

Xander turned to Angel. “He can help Buffy by staying away. Far away.”

Angel straightened up. “I came here for information. I got it so now I’m leaving. I
hope you’ll be doing the same.”

He looked around the room and noticed the bags. He bent down and upon closer inspection
found something very familiar. “This! This is Willows! It’s a mini-beanie baby frog key
chain! I gave it to her before she went to England! Where is she?” He Made a beeline
for the bedroom. “Will?! Willow?!”

He searched the bedroom, the closets, the bathroom, the kitchen and even under the couch.
She was no where to be found. He stepped over to Angel and dangled the key chain in front
of his face. “Where did you get this?”

Cordelia snatched it from his hand. “It’s mine. They’re a dime a dozen at the novelty
stores in L.A. Xander. God, forget Mel Gibson, they should have cast you for the
Conspiracy Theory!”

“I just thought. . .and then, well. Never mind. I just leave while I still have some of
my dignity intact.” He walked out the door and Cordelia watched him as he rounded the
corner towards his apartment. She closed the door and turned to Angel. “That was close.”

”Too close, but. . .where’s Willow?” They headed to the bedroom and Angel called out.
“He’s gone. You can come out now.”

”A little help here guys.” They looked up and saw some red hair peeking out from the top
of the canopy. Angel shook his head. “How did you get up there?”

She looked down and rolled her eyes. “Don’t ask. Just get me off of this thing.”

With a little maneuvering, Willow managed to step down onto Angel’s shoulders. She
wobbled a little and sent them both crashing to the floor with a resounding thud. She sat
up and rubbed her shoulder. “Thanks.”

He rubbed his head. “Don’t mention it. Ever.”

Cordelia was suppressing a grin. “I don’t know. I’d give you a six for form but the
dismount gets a two.” They all laughed.

Angel got up and put his hand out to help Willow. “Willow, I. . .”

She nodded. “Me too.” And she reached over and hugged a very surprised vampire.

“I’d hate to break up this touching Hallmark moment but I really want to leave. As in an
hour ago?” She walked out of the room.

Angel looked after her. “Meow. What’s with her?”

“I don’t know.” She grabbed Angel’s arm. “Come on.” She stopped short and turned to
him. “Meow?” He shrugged and walked out of the room.