FIC: Untitled(Chapter 5)

Hey.

Chapter 5 below:

CHAPTER 5

A little while later, there was a soft knock on the bedroom door. Willow looked at Buffy. She nodded, and sat up. Willow put her hand on her hand on Buffy's back, and rubbed in slow, comforting circles.

"It's okay." Willow said.

The door opened slowly, and Giles poked his head in. "Spike has returned. You might want to hear this." He disappeared behind the door.

The two girls exchanged confused looks, and got up.

"Promise me something, Will?"

"What?"

"After this is over, demon organized democracy or whatever, I could really, really use a vacation."

"Me too. So.what'd you have in mind?"

"You're coming too? I was just talking about me." Willow was silent, and then Buffy grinned. "Kidding."

Willow jumped on Buffy's back. "That was mean. I deserve a horseyback ride."

"Okay, you know how old you are, right?"

"Let me have my fun?"

"I can't say no to you. I think I'm gonna like this."

"Like what?"

"Making happy memories." The Slayer held her friend's legs and they walked out of the bedroom. They went to the main room, and everybody stared at them quizzically. "Willow felt the need to revert, so I indulged."

They plopped down on the couch, and saw Spike. He didn't look very happy.

"What is it?" Willow asked.

"I hate to break the happiness," Spike said, "but it's pretty much a damn certainty that this whole demon council thing is real. And I should know. I'm a friggin' member."

***

"Stonehenge? Are you sure?" Henry asked, sometime later.

"Look, I know what I saw. It's supposed to show how to get to the temple. They all hurried off." Spike said.

"And you didn't go because.?" Xander left the question hanging.

"Because it only works in daylight. And I'm all out of sunblock. Ninny."

"You weren't needed for the.whatever they need to do?" Henry continued his questioning.

"They told me I wasn't necessary, and that was fine by me. They don't trust me, and I don't trust them."

"So everyone went but you?" Willow asked.

"Not everyone." Ta'Hoffren said entering the room.

"You really have got to start locking your door, Will." Buffy said.

***

A truck drove up the main road around Salisbury Plain, and the demons inside could see Stonehenge in the distance. They also saw groups of people taking tours, and little kids desperately trying to get past the rope barrier to touch the stones, and annoyed parents fought to pull them back.

"We all decided that the Ethros and Wamn would be the ones to reveal the location. Are we still agreed?" The Kailei demon, which resembled a spider, said.

"Yes. And we also agreed to all come along so they did not double cross us." The Mothra demon added. "I still think he we should have eliminated the vampire."

"He is no threat. His intentions were questionable. It is best for all if he stays away." The Ethros said.

"What about Machin?" The Fearal grunted.

"He will just have to find a replacement. We're acting in his best interests. Speaking of vampires, Chaos, your slaves should not be allowed from this point on."

The Chaos demon sighed, mucous gathering in his throat. "That's a shame." He opened the door and pushed the two vampires out into the sun. "It's hard to find good slaves today. Let's get this done."

Driving, the Ethros saw the man who directed people to the parking area, holding his hands out. The man had seen the vampires' combust. Instead of following the man's instructions, the Ethros turned the car, and ran him over. He continued gunning the truck forward, as guards and frightened tourists trying to jump out of the way.

They crashed through the rope, and stopped. The seven of them exited their vehicle, and were greeted by three guards, weapons in hand. The rest of the people were screaming and scrambling to get to their cars. The people who were along the road and waiting to park, got out of their cars, and ran, leaving engines running.

The guards' eyes immediately widened and they didn't spare any bullets. The Kailei demon became angry. A bullet had struck one of his arms. He spit a torrent of black acid out of his mouth, which struck one of the guards. The man's flesh began to melt, and the others ran, fleeing with the tourists.

For the first time in a long while, Stongehenge was practically deserted. The seven demons made their way to the stone circle.

***

Ta'Hoffren sat on the couch, and everyone else sat opposite him, at a safe distance. The demon was quiet, as Spike paced behind him.

"Speak!" Spike finally growled at him.

"I don't want to see the group re-established."

"May inquire why?" Henry asked.

"I have what you may call, a grudge. I never did get my vengeance."

"So, what? You get a thrill out of making other people do it for you?" Willow asked.

"I remember you. I had hoped you would reconsider turning me down."

"She didn't, so let's get back to the point. Why are you here?" Buffy said.

"This vampire has as much dislike for starting the Dark Ones, as I do. I sensed it, and I want to see it ended once and for all."

"What can you do?" Spike asked, looking down at him.

"I know where the temple is, and if you hurry, you can get there before the others."

"But you said you had no idea -"

"One, I had to go down in that cavern so I wouldn't arouse suspicion, and two, I lied."

"There's always a price for your assistance, Ta'Hoffren." Anya pointed out.

"Indeed there is."

"I don't suppose you'll tell us." Janice said.

Ta'Hoffren was silent.

***

Five of the demons stood around the outer circle of stones, while the Ethros and Wamn stood inside the inner circle, around the altar. The Wamn looked to the Ethros for confirmation that it was okay to begin, and he nodded. The Wamn closed his eyes and began to concentrate.

Reality began to change. The downed stones, the rubble, "fixed" itself. Stonehenge was being rebuilt. Stones were placed in their proper spots, brought together, and it was if time had never worn away the mysterious structure.

The Ethros demon stuck his hand on the altar, into the sun's path. It hit him, and burned through his flesh. The sun reflected off his hand, off one stone, off another, off another, until the ray hit the ground.

"I give my pain. I hurt in this place where symbols of goodness were worshipped. May the location of the Temple be revealed, in the name of Machin."

The sun burned away the grass, uncovering the evil that Stonehenge's builders had hoped to counteract. They had succeeded, the religion, the goodness in the area diminished the evil, but not completely. A message was still left behind.

The Wamn returned Stonehenge to its current state, and the demons looked at the message in the ground. Just as they finished reading, it vanished, the light regaining control, and the grass re-grew.

***

"Etna? No." Willow asked.

"It's a volcano in Italy. With a lot of mythology behind it." Janice said.

"Home to the Cyclops' of Greek Mythology among other things." Giles said.

Spike rubbed his hand through his hair. "Yeah, that's spectacular. But that's where this Temple is?"

"In the volcano." Ta'Hoffren clarified.

"Who wants to sweat?" Xander asked.

"You didn't get lost then." Anya said.

"No, I did not. I knew where the temple was. I had planned on simply ending it, quickly. But I had been in Arash Ma'har so long, that I forgot the limitations I had in this world at first. The most important being not being able to raise a hand to kill."

"I know something about that." Spike said.

"Yes, well.I knew I had to follow instructions then, and get to Paris. Then I saw you," Ta'Hoffren said looking at Xander and Anya, "and not only did I know you would be transportation, but I see the world from my dimension, and knew you were acquaintances of the Slayer."

"You keep saying you had signs, and instructions. I didn't have any of that." Spike continued.

"You've had dreams haven't you?" Spike nodded slowly. "Instructions come in all forms. Why yours is more obscure, I do not know."

"This is great," Buffy started, "but it'll still take us almost half a day to get there."

"There is a way. But it's dangerous."

Xander saw where Ta'Hoffren was going. "I remember what you said. You said -"

"The risk is lessened for many individuals who are touched by mystical or supernatural forces."

Willow, Buffy, and Spike raised their hands. "What are we volunteering for?" Willow asked suddenly.

"Interdimensional travel."

"How long does it take?" Buffy asked.

"If all goes well, in your time, less than a second."

"And if it doesn't?" Spike asked.

"Limbo." Anya said.

Buffy looked at Willow and Spike. They nodded.

"It's a risk we'll have to take. Everyone else drive, and we'll meet you there."

"We need backup. Someone else who can fight." Spike said.

***

"We need a new catch." Cordelia said to Angel in the office.

The souled vampire stared at her. "What?"

"You know, something to attract a wider base of clients. We need to.expand! Go outside LA. Think big."

"Cordelia -"

"I know, we've been doing pretty good for six years, but I'm almost twenty-six. I have a retirement plan to start thinking about. That means we have to start bringing in new money."

Angel cleared his throat. "What about my sensitivity to sunlight? Depending how far away the client is."

"Oh. Yeah. Right. There's no way I'd drive six hours to pick up your car if it got stranded in the middle of a highway with Angel ashes as its driver. But do you see my point?"

"Clearly."

Then, a purple tear appeared right in front of his desk. He and Cordelia both backed up, and he tensed. Ta'Hoffren, Spike, Buffy and Willow came out. The tear repaired itself, and the four people, well two demons, two actual people, looked shaken up.

"Hey, Angel. Cordy." Buffy said.

"Hi, guys." Willow said.

"Hi dad. Cordelia." Spike said.

Cordelia finally spoke up. "Where'd you come from?"

"France." Buffy began.

"Via dimensional portal." Willow continued.

"Provided by a creator of vengeance demons." Spike finished.

"Is that far enough outside the city for you?" Angel asked Cordelia.

***

Willow and Buffy were below the office, and in Angel's home. Ta'Hoffren said that his strength got drained every time he opened passages in the dimensions, and he needed to rest. Which was fine, because Spike needed to talk to Angel, and Buffy was using the time to train. Willow simply walked around looking at Angel's collection.

"He's got stuff here that any archeologist would kill for." She said aloud.

"Well," Buffy said swinging a staff, "maybe if you ask really nice he'll give you something." She thrust the weapon up, which would have given her opponent a nasty blow to the jaw. If she had an opponent.

"I couldn't ask him that. I'm just saying."

Buffy put the weapon down and started to walk over to the punching bag. Willow met her there, and stood behind it. "I never could believe you became an archeologist, you know. Ready?"

Willow placed her feet, and prepared for the strike. "Yeah." Buffy hit the bag, and Willow was able to hold it steady. "Why?"

"It's not that I didn't think you'd be good at it, I knew you could do anything you wanted," she began a steady two-jab set of punches, "but it's just that you're so nice and caring, and most of those people are cutthroats. Stabbing their colleagues in the back to get the big find."

"That's true, but if you have friends in high places, it's hard for them to steal from you."

"Henry?"

"Yeah. He's pretty well respected. I was lucky that I got to know him. Not only did I get connections from him, but he was my 'Giles.' He really gave me the kick-start I needed."

"I got that." Buffy stopped punching, and switched to kicking. Willow had to adjust. "Kind of eerie that he was Giles mentor, huh?"

"Uh huh. But.neat."

"If you have so many good connections, why'd you join up with a money-grubbing sleaze like Danton?"

"Most of the connections I have are financial ones. Danton knew others in the field. I couldn't dig by myself, and he was a good choice at the time. He wasn't really that bad of a person. Just a little money hungry."

"He saw an opportunity to steal the glory from you and tried to seize it, Will."

"Yeah, but he wouldn't have gotten far."

"Why?"

"I'm better than he was." Willow grinned, and then slapped her own hand in punishment. "That was bad."

"It's good to have some ego. It gives confidence." Buffy stopped kicking, and the bag slowly swayed back and forth.

"Kiss me."

"Yep, ego." Buffy went into the bathroom.

Willow stood in the doorway. "I'm confident in my statement, if that's what you mean."

"Are you?"

"Damn straight. Cause I know you'll do what I ask."

"Oh really? Since when did you become such an expert on me?" Buffy walked out wiping her face with a towel. "I'll just cave every time you want something?"

"Now you're getting it. I know you."

"Let's just see. Okay Miss Scientist/Archeologist girl, what do you know about Buffy Summers?"

"Judging from outward appearance, I'd say she's about twenty-four years old, is a beautiful specimen of the human race, and she has an ability to kick serious ass."

"That's it?" Buffy asked, stepping closer.

"She's got a good heart, she's intelligent, caring, loyal to her friends, she sleeps with a stuffed pig, she used to talk to the Mrs. Butterworth bottle, had a crush on Vanilla Ice -"

Buffy quickly put her finger on Willow's lips. "Okay, okay, I'm convinced. But you forgot one thing."

"Did I?"

"Yes you did. The most important part. She loves an amazing, gorgeous redhead who she'd do anything for."

Buffy then kissed Willow, and her friend smiled in the midst of it.

"Told you."

"I'll never question a scientist's and or archeologist's conclusions again."

***

Angel stood in his office with Spike. The door was shut. His 'child' was pacing.

"What's going on, Spike?"

Spike stopped. "Temple of the Dark Ones. Heard of it?"

"Not much. Darla used to tell me stories, but that's all I took them as."

"Well, it's the real deal. Organized evil."

"And?"

"I'm part of it. But the thing I can't figure out is, why me and not you?"

"It goes by bloodlines?"

"You're next in line, mate. Not me. But I'm the one they chose."

Angel sat down on the edge of his desk. "It's because of my soul, I guess."

"Damn it!" Spike punched the wall. "I'm so bloody tired of that thing. You get let off the hook all the time for that. Your hundred years of murderous rampages? Forgotten. Forgiven. Your membership to a demon government? Exempt."

"It's not my fault that -"

"Like hell it isn't! You made me pal. And I've never forgiven you."

"You think I don't remember? You were different. You didn't radiate goodness, but evil wasn't there either."

"When you're homeless long enough, you become comfortable with your lot in life."

***

In 1875, in England, all eyes were on the Americans. Their former colony was still bickering with itself. Civil War and ten years of rebuilding the section that supplied England with cotton, still didn't heal the deep wounds. Which was fine to the English, because they still had lingering hopes of reclaiming the large continent.

One man, however, didn't. Just leaving a village, a now uninhabited one at that, the carriage he occupied traveled on a dirt road and into the large countryside. He had picked up for his companion. a doll in the village, and he smiled at her delighted reaction.

Off in the distance, he saw a man walking through the deep grass, a bag flung over his shoulder.

"Stop." He said to the driver in an Irish accent.

His female companion stopped poking the eyes of her new doll, and looked up at him. "What do you see?"

"Someone to add to our family. Would you like that, Druscilla?"

"Could I keep him? Play with him, and dress him, and -"

"Anything. But stay here for now." She pouted. "You've already eaten tonight."

He got out of the carriage, and walked quietly in the direction of the wandering man. He didn't sense any emotions from this one. Except contentment. The man must have seen him out of the corner of his eye, because he stopped walking.

"Hello friend. What's your name?"

The man put his bag on the ground. "William. Might I ask what yours is, sir?"

"Angelus."

"You must be a child of God then."

"Why do you say that? Are you in need of salvation?"

William laughed. "Me? No."

"How do you live like this? Have you been without a home long?"

"Ten years. Best thing that could have happened to me."

"No family to turn to?"

William's face saddened. "They're with the Lord now. They took ill some years back. Blood problem, doctor said. It's been a long time."

"And you chose to live your life this way?"

"I had nothing after they were gone. I was only seventeen, and I worked at home. Rather than get caught up in the changing world, and because I knew it would swallow me up, I decided to escape it. I've been doing well so far."

"I've never met a man like you before. So pleased with so little."

"No offense, but I've met plenty of your kind."

"Have you?"

"That's your carriage down the way there, is it not?" William pointed.

"It is."

"You're pretty well off, I'd guess. Can always have anything you want, but you can't understand the acts of people lower than yourself."

"You're right. But I like to learn. And perhaps get you to change your mind."

"I appreciate the offer, but -"

Angelus' face shifted. "It's not negotiable. You'll be a challenge. I enjoy challenges."

***

"You, and Dru, taught me how to hate, the joy of killing, you helped me earn my name, you made me." Spike said. "I remember when I first woke up. The demon inside me was trying to find some memory, some pain that I had, but it couldn't find it."

"I had to get you to hate before the demon was able to take full control, I know."

"And it wasn't until Dru and I left you that she told me that you caused the 'blood problem' with my family. And I did everything Dru asked, cause I loved her. I might have never felt guilty about the things I did, I still don't, but I never enjoyed killing the way you did. I'd always been the 'eat and run' type of guy. Survival only.

"When that blasted Initiative put that chip in my head, I was pissed off. It took me a long time to get over your conditioning, and the need to eat people, but it shut my demon up. And now I kill them. Must be a circle of life thing, cause I'm content again."

"What do you need me to do?"

"If you can't take my place, then help us destroy this temple."

"I'll do it."

"Good." Spike opened the door.

"I'm sorry."

Spike turned around. "I know. But it's not good enough."

***

Buffy and Willow came up in the elevator, and went over to where Angel and Spike stood. Cordelia came over as well.

"He's in." Spike told them.

"Great! Do you want to pay now or later?" Cordelia asked.

"I'm not charging them." Angel said.

"It's no problem really." Buffy said.

"See?" Cordelia asked him again.

"No." Angel reiterated.

"Oh, come on. They at least owe us payment for the phone bills." Buffy and Willow looked away. "Oh yeah. You two called every day wanting to talk about how you missed each other, and wanted to know how the other was.that wasn't in the job description."

Buffy looked at Willow. "You mean you -"

Willow looked back. "And you -"

They started to laugh and Buffy sat her head on Willow's shoulder. Angel smiled at them and pulled Cordelia over to the corner.

"This isn't a job."

"Is it because they're friends?" Cordelia asked.

"No. I have to do this. For.different reasons."

"Oh." Cordelia thought. "This is one of those things I'm probably better off not knowing about isn't it?"

He nodded. "Get Wesley. I don't know how long I'll be gone, but he can handle most of the cases."

"You know how he gets. He'll get all macho and -"

"Then you've got to watch out for him. Can you do that?"

"Yeah. Just be careful. You're my favorite boss."

"I've been your only boss."

"Exactly."

Angel walked back to the group. "We ready?"

"Yeah." Spike said. "Ta'Hoffren! Get your ass in gear!"

"Maybe you should be a little nicer to him." Willow suggested cautiously.

"He's a demon."

"But you're -"

Angel put his hand on Willow's shoulder, and talked quietly. "I'd let him be."

Within minutes, Ta'Hoffren had opened the tear again, and the four of them, plus Angel, were on their way to Italy.

"I have misplaced my pants." (Homer J. Simpson)

"You know what the secret of life is?"
"Your finger?"
"One thing. Just one thing."
"That's great, but what's the one thing?"
"That's what you gotta figure out."
(Jack Palance, Billy Crystal, City Slickers)

"I heard your heartbeat." (Buffy Summers, to Angel, ANGEL)