FIC: The Rocky Road Chapter 1: Every Road Leads Back to You (2/?)

Title: The Rocky Road Chapter 1: Every Road Leads Back to You (2/?)
Author: Kimber (kacoe@xxxxxxx)
Disclaimer: All BTVS characters belong to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy.
else, e-mail me please.
Author's Notes: The more feedback I get the more fic I write. . .nuff said.
Thoughts are enclosed in < >
Flashback are enclosed in <<<< >>>>
------------

Spend all your time waiting
for that second chance
for a break that would make it okay
there's always one reason to feel not good enough
and it's hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction oh beautiful release
memory seeps from my veins let me
be empty and weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight
Angel by Sarah McLachlan

The first thing he noticed was that he was moving. Not in the sense of one foot in front
of the other, but still. . .moving. He opened his eyes slowly and focused on the ropes
that were around his wrists. The zapping pain in the back of his head was proof positive
that he was in a world of trouble.

God, were am I?

Dont bring him into this, mate. Hell be of no use to you now. A distinctly British
voice came from the other side of the van.

Xander squinted. Spike?

He lit a cigarette and it illuminated his face. In the undead flesh, boy. Got yourself
into a heap of trouble, did you now?

What did I do to deserve this? He leaned back and closed his eyes.

Thats what Id like to know. Rupert sent me looking for you. Youre a slippery one,
Ill give you that.

Giles? Oh man. This was getting worse and worse by the minute.

So whatd ya do, boy? Steal one of his dusty books? Or even better, did you tell him
you wanted to shag?

You know, Spike. . .your village called. They said they were missing an idiot.

Good to see you still have a sense of humor. He flicked the cigarette out the back
window. So what happened?

I dont want to talk about it.

Well, youd better get chipper and chattery there pretty quickly, mate. From the looks
of it well be hitting Sunnyhell in about an hour.

--------------

Sleeping. She was curled up on the couch sleeping peacefully. From what Willow could
surmise in the quick walkthrough shed done, Buffy had been sleeping on the couch ever
since she left. Over four months ago, shed laid her red sweater down on the bed and
forgot to pick it up before she left for the airport  it was in the same place shed left
it.

Willow sat in the single overstuffed chair with her feet pulled up under her. Shed been
there for over an hour and sat for most of it watching Buffy sleep. She still didnt know
what to do, what to say to her, if she should wake her up, let her sleep, or run screaming
into the night.

Buffy stirred and reached out to the coffee table for a glass of water. She sipped it
without opening her eyes then put it back down.

Willow held her breath and watched the sleepy movements she made. It would have gone
unnoticed by anyone else, but Willow saw Buffy stiffen slightly. She knew someone was
there and she was running scenarios through her mind. Same old Buffy. Ive missed
you.

This time, Buffy visibly stiffened and her breath caught. Slowly she turned her head in
the direction of the voice she knew so well. Will. Then she opened her eyes.

----------------

Come on. Up and out you go. Spike was pulling Xander to his feet and dragging him to
Giles door.

Xander put up what little fight he had left in him but he knew it was no use. He gave up
and slumped against the wall.

A moment later, Giles opened the door. Spike.

Spike gestured to Xander. Look what I found crawling around in an alley like a rat.

Giles sighed and nodded to him. Xander. He stepped aside so they could both walk in.

Spike led him to the couch and pushed him down.

Do you really think this is necessary? Xander held up his bound hands. It kind of
itches.

It took me almost a year to find you. Your not getting away now. He turned to Giles.
Almost had him in Santa Fe then he just disappeared into thin air. Spike turned back to
Xander. I underestimated you once, it wont happen again.

Giles paced in front of Xander then stopped in front of him. Seems like I underestimated
you too, Xander. He sat down on the coffee table and was face to face with him. You
have a lot of explaining to do so I suggest you start at the beginning.

Xander sat back and sighed. I guess I owe you that much.

Giles became angered and grabbed him by the shirt, eyes blazing. You owe me nothing!
Buffy and Willow on the other hand. . .God help you boy when they find out. And they
will, I assure you.

-------------

She sat up and wiped the sleep from her eyes. When did you get in?

Willow glanced at her watch. Almost two hours ago.

She tried to hide her surprise. Really?

Willow nodded. I wasnt sure if. . .I didnt know how. . . She was struggling with the
words. None of them wanted to form understandable sentences.

How was your flight? Her voice was level, cold.

Why are you sleeping on the couch?

Buffy shrugged and got up. She went to the kitchen and refilled her glass. Did Giles
pick you up?

I called a cab and how long are we gonna do this, Buffy?

She looked up at the clock on the wall. Not much longer. I have a second patrol to
run.

A second patrol? Buffy, we havent seen each other in over four months and you tell me
youre going on patrol?

Duty calls, Will. I have obligations, no one is gonna do it for me.

Ive missed you. You dont know how much.

No I dont.

Her head shot up. Whats that supposed to mean?

Buffy put her head down. Nothing. It meant nothing.

Willow got up again and walked over to her. This isnt what I wanted to happen. This
isnt what I wanted to say.

Buffy looked up at her. Then what did you want? What did you expect? She walked
around her and stood in the living room. Look, Im not up for a patrol. Im gonna go
take a shower. She walked away into the bathroom and shut the door.

Willow stood there in shock. She never expected Buffy to be so cold, so uncaring. She
was ready for a fight, ready for the screaming and harsh words, but not this. Never
this. She walked into the living room and curled up on the couch. It was still warm from
when Buffy was sleeping. She pulled the blanket up over her shoulders and began to cry.

-------------

And you never got his name?

It wasnt tops on my list, Giles.

Giles walked over to a bookshelf and took out six large binders. He dropped them in front
of Xander on the table. This is a record of every living Council member. Distinguishing
marks, achievements, where they are assigned  complete with up to date photos. Xander
gave him a blank look. Start looking.

Giles, there has to be over three thousand pages here! You really dont expect me to. .
.

I whole heartedly expect you to. Giles glared at him. And I dont expect to be let
down.

He shook his head. Fine. Untie me. Once untied, Xander got up to stretch and found
Spike at his side in an instant. Relax black ranger. Im a little stiff here.

Giles stood back and took in his features for the first time since hed been dragged in by
Spike. Xanders face looked drawn, older. He had a trimmed goatee and mustache that came
together at the edges of his lips. He was dressed all in black, complete with a black
cloak tied around his shoulders. There were lines in his face. Giles was disturbed most
of all by this. A boy so young shouldnt have lines like those.

He took the cloak off and tossed it on the couch. He was wearing a black skull cap that
completely hid his hair and it was beginning to itch so he removed it and tossed it aside
too. This drew gasps from both men flanking him. He gave them a sheepish smile.
What? He reached up and ran his hand through his hair. Oh, yeah. That. He shrugged
and sat down.

Spike shook his head. No wonder I had such a hard time finding you.

Giles nodded in agreement. Yes, I see the trouble now.

Xander looked up at both of them. Get over it already. He began to flip through the
first book.

Neither one of them could believe it. His hair was cut drastically short in a military
flat-top style and it was. . .bright yellow sun blonde. They stood there and just shook
their heads.

--------

Willow blew her nose and took a deep breath. This wasnt going at all the way shed
expected it to. She sat up and looked at her watch. Buffy had been in the shower for
almost forty five minutes now. She hesitantly made her way to the door and knocked.
Buffy?

Silence and running water.

Buffy, are you in there?

Where else would I be?

Willow let out a sigh of relief. Youve been in there a long time. Are you okay? She
waited a few moments for an answer then tried the door. It was unlocked. She stepped in
and was hit by a wave of steam.

Leave me alone. Came from the shower.

She walked over and pulled back the curtain. Buffy was sitting curled up in the tub with
the shower water running across her back. Her head was down an she didnt look up.
Willow reached out to touch her and jerked her hand back. Buffy!

Get out of here, Will. I want to be left alone. Her voice echoed a little against the
porcelain.

Are you trying to boil yourself alive? She reached around the other side and turned the
water off. Youre a slayer, not a shrimp! Now get out of there.

No.

Buffy.

No.

Youre not gonna make this easy, are you? Willow reached down and put her hand out.
Buffy wasnt in the mood to fight, so she complied. Oh, well, maybe you are. She led
Buffy to the bedroom and sat her down on the bed. She gently dried her off with a fluffy
white towel patting her back lightly. The skin there was red and swollen and boils were
beginning to form. How could you do this to yourself? She whispered.

Theyll be gone by morning.

Willow looked up at her, shocked. Then the realization dawned on her. How did you know
theyd?. . .Oh God, Buffy. The phone rang. The phone always rang at times like these.
Willow silently cursed to herself before answering it. Hello? Her voice was strained.

Willow. Is everything alright?

Giles. Its not a good time.

Im sorry but, I need you two here right away.

Willow looked at her watch. Giles, its midnight. Cant this wait till morning? I just
got in two hours ago and . . .

Willow. Its about Quentin.

What?

Just come here. Both of you.

Fine. Give us about an hour. She hung up the phone.

Buffy hadnt moved. So?

So Giles needs us at his place. Something about Quentin.

Her head shot up. I thought he was. . .

So did I. Giles didnt say much but it sounded important.

Buffy was up and dressed in fifteen minutes. She emerged from the bedroom and looked at
Willow sitting on the couch. Ready?

She nodded and followed the slayer out the door.