Title: A Night Like Tonight
Author: MR
E-Mail: mrains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copyright: March 14, 2000
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Joss and Mutant Enemy own the show I don't get anything but fun
from this.
Content: B/W, X/A(nya), S/A,
Author's Note:Thanks to Jamie, my best friend!

A Night Like Tonight.

There was roughly 10 minutes until sunrise as Angel walked through the main
doors of Angel investigations, completely unaware that he was being observed
by someone on the opposite side of the street. Angel walked to the back of
the office and pressed the button that would call the lift to his
subterranean apartment, he then became engrossed in reading the note that
that Doyle had left him pinned to the lift's doors. So engrossed that he
didn't hear the lift arrive and the doors open, or the person behind him
until it was too late.

Angel felt arms grab him around his waist and felt himself being pushed into
the lift. Angel dropped Doyle's note on the lift floor. Angel was rammed
against the back wall of the lift and spun around to meet a right hook that
connected with his jaw and sent him sliding, dazed, to the floor of the
lift. The figure straddled Angel's midsection and as his face came into view
Angel heard him speak in that particular way of his. "Hello, Angel, you knew
that I always wanted to do that to you, didn't you?". Angel began to try and
move Spike off of him "Spike get off mmmmm ............................."
Angel was interrupted as Spike bent down and kissed him longingly, hardly,
sweetly, at first he wanted to break away but it felt so right that he
closed his eyes and returned the kiss.

Spike broke the kiss, opened his eyes, and looked down at his sire before
saying "You never knew that I wanted to do that to you did you?". Angel
whispered a silent "No." before grabbing Spike's head and kissing him. Now
it was Spike's turn to be shocked. He hadn't expected this but welcomed it
none the less. They kissed each other passionately, Spike allowing Angel to
kiss his neck, an important sign of trust amongst vampires. They rolled on
the floor of the lift kissing, caressing and discarding clothing as best
they could. The lift reached Angel's apartment. Spike, wearing only his
jeans and black T-shirt stood up pulling Angel, wearing only his leather
trousers, with him. In between kisses Angel managed to growl "bed!". The
intelligent part of Spike's brain that was still functioning reasoned that a
bed would be a good idea and allowed Angelus to swing him into his arms and
carry him down the hall to his room. They didn't stop kissing the whole
journey.

They stopped three feet into Angel's apartment when they heard a scream. The
vampires looked towards the direction of the scream, Angel's bed. They saw a
very awake Cordelia held in the arms of a very asleep Doyle. Both were very
nude. Angel groaned, remembering what he had read of Doyle's letter before
Spike had jumped him :

Angel,
I'm gonna' tell Cordy how I feel about her tonight. If all goes well I may
need to borrow you're

Angel guessed the last word was bed and groaned. Doyle would have to make
his move tonight wouldn't he? He turned around and ran to the spare room
where he and Spike continued their passionate activity.

Tonight seemed magical to Buffy as she looked down at the red head sleeping
peacefully nuzzled into her side. The past 48 hours had been weird. Buffy
had come out, she had told everyone she was Gay, only to have angry
reactions and shock drive her from the people she needed, the people she
loved. She had spent a miserable night wandering in the rain only to find
solace with someone she never thought of as a friend, Spike. Spike had even
played matchmaker and got Willow and her to admit their feelings for each
other just as Buffy was about to run away again. Buffy looked down at Willow
's beautiful face, idly brushing a stray strand of hair from it, to realise
that with the redhead she loved beside her she would never run away again.

They had kissed for some time after they had admitted their feelings and
then decided to sleep through the day, it had been an exhausting night after
all. They had pushed their two beds together and had fallen asleep in each
others arms. The clock on Buffy's nightstand announced it was now 00: 30.
Buffy looked back at Willow and leant down kissing Willow gently. She
finished the kiss and pulled away liking the small smile that had spread
across Willow's face. Buffy whispered to the half asleep redhead "C'mon Will
wake up, we should check in with the others,". Willow opened her eyes,
kissed Buffy and said "Sure, that's probably a good idea."

Spike opened his eyes and fought for a moment to remember where he was. He
remembered getting the Slayer and the Witch together, the drive to Los
Angeles and then...... . Spike placed his hands over his eyes as he
remembered finally getting the courage together to do something about the
way he had felt for Angelus for his entire unlife and he smiled. Spike got
out of bed and noticed that Angel was missing. This worried Spike who began
to look for his clothes only to find them neatly folded on a chair near the
bed, his duster hanging on a hook on the back of the door. Spike put his
clothes, minus his duster, back on and was about to go and look for Angel
when the door to the room opened and he, fully dressed as well, walked in
carrying two mugs.

Angel passed one mug to Spike, changed into game face and drank the contents
of his own. Spike did likewise. Angel sat down in the chair which had
previously contained Spike's clothes, Spike sat down on the edge of the bed
facing Angel.

"Spike we need to talk....". The blond vampire cut across his sire "Angelus
let me speak first, please?". Angel looked up, a little shocked at his
childe's civility and at the use of his proper name, but nodded anyway.
"Last night, you may remember me hitting you and then kissing you," Angel
nodded "but you don't know why I did either, do you?" Angel shook his head
"I'll tell you the reason I kissed you and shagged you, Angelus," Spike's
voice took on a sadder tone "I'm in love with you, I have been since the
night you sired me, 126 years ago."

Angel looked up, shocked by what Spike had said and murmured in a distant
voice "I had no idea....." . Spike looked hurt and in an angrier tone said
"Of course not, did it never even cross your mind why I hit you, why I was
so continuously pissed off with you every single moment in your company"
Spike stood up and began to pace. Angel stood up and replied "I often
wondered, I just assumed you were jealous of my position, of my power....."

Spike span around to face Angel showing the tears on his face and shouted
"Your power? Your position? You were grooming me to be your replacement when
all I wanted to be was your partner! You have no idea how much I envied
every virgin, every fledgling, even Druscilla that you fell for and shagged
because I wanted them to be me! So I stood idly by waiting for you to notice
me but you never did!"

Angel walked up to Spike and placed his hands on his Spike's shoulders.
Spike looked him in the eyes and said "I love you Angelus....". Angel
frowned and said "I'm, sorry Spike I need time to think, maybe you could
leave......". Spike ripped Angel's hands from his shoulders and kneed him in
the groin as hard as he could, Angel curled into a foetal ball on the floor
"So that's it is it? So long, thanks for the shag and I don't care about
your feelings! Well sod you 'mate'!". Spike grabbed his trenchcoat from the
door and ran from the room, his plan involving a bar and a long order of
drinks.

Willow and Buffy had gotten ready and Buffy had called around to find out
where everyone was only to discover that they had congregated at her mother'
s house once again. She and Willow had headed over to her mother's holding
hands for support, this was something they each doubted they would relish
doing.

The vampire smiled from it's hiding place as it watched the two girls walk
along the street blissfully unaware of the danger they were in. Oh yeah he
thought, this should be fun, he shifted into game face enjoying the feeling
of power it gave him, the next thing the vampire felt was immense pain
emanating from a spot on the back of it's skull. He landed on the ground and
rolled over to see his attacker.

The vampire's attacker was about seven feet tall, he wore black trousers and
a black top, he also had black biker's boots and black leather gloves on.
Chains hung freely on the figure, under and, attached to his black
trenchcoat. In his right hand he held a black rod of 1 foot in length and
his head, with the exception of his hair was covered by a skin tight black
mask. Where he should have had short brown hair, instead were flames
mimicking said hair. His eyes were pure red. In a voice that so cold it
could have frozen hell the figure pointed at the vampire at his feet and
said "Those two are under my protection!". The vampire, a young fledgling,
was scared witless, he thought he was the only creature of the night and he
jumped to his feet trying to run from this new weird attacker. He got 3 feet
before he exploded into dust. Had he been facing his attacker he would have
seen the black rod extend to 6 feet in length before it was plunged through
his heart.

The figure shadowed Buffy and Willow until they were almost at Joyce Summer'
s house by jumping from tree to tree that were in front of each of the
streets houses. Doing this also enabled him to hear their conversation.

Willow was scared, she was about to tell everyone exactly what Buffy had
said the night before and it had not gone well for her. Worse still was the
fact that tonight they were going to have to break the news to everyone
about them being a couple. Still, Willow felt much better doing it with her
love by her side, Buffy looked truly beautiful walking in the moonlight.
"What are thinking about Will?" Buffy asked. "Oh just about how I'm gonna'
do what you did... oh..and about how were going to tell them about
us.....and.". "Okay Willow enough of the babble mode were nearly there,
Buffy nodded indicating her mother's house less than ten yards away. "Oh,
then you won't want to know just how beautiful I think you look in the
moonlight....." was Willow's response. Buffy looked at Willow "You think I
look beautiful..." Buffy was interrupted by Willow kissing her. They broke
off and Buffy heard Willow's answer "Uh-Huh.". They both smiled and told
each other that they loved them. They walked the rest of the way in silence,
arms resting on each others shoulders in a gesture of love. They reached the
front door, knocked and went inside.

The figure in the tree in the front of the Summer's residence was deep in
thought. He removed a large bag of Krispy Kreme doughnuts from inside his
trenchcoat and ten seconds later a new figure dropped from the tree holding
the same bag of doughnuts. After hearing that, and witnessing how much they
loved each other how could he give them a hard time, after all, they'd be
just as shocked to learn the secret now harboured by ................
.....................Alexander Lavelle Harris.

4 hours later Buffy and Willow were in their dorm again talking about what
had just happened at the Summer's residence. It had been......weird. Anya,
the psycho-loonie vengeance demon had been totally supportive. Giles had
said he was fine. Joyce admitted that she would have to get used to it but
she was at least happy that Buffy was dating someone like Willow instead of
another Angel.

Those reactions were welcome but the weirdness had come from Xander. Instead
of railing at them at hating them ha had been pleased for them. Willow was
talking to Buffy who was changing "..... and wasn't it weird when he said
'never break up, you two are fated to be together, I swear it, it just took
me a long time to realise it.". Buffy slid her top off "yeah it was almost
like prophecy talk, and I never want to go down that road again. No from
here on in it's only new roads and new steps...."

Buffy turned around and was silenced as she saw Willow, standing in front of
their dorm's window, full moon behind her , highlighting the pale creaminess
of her skin and fiery ferocity of her red hair. Willow stepped forwards and
kissed Buffy hardly whilst caressing her shoulders. Willow broke the kiss
and offered Buffy her hand "What are we doing?" Buffy asked. "Taking a new
step." Was Willow's husky reply. Buffy took it and allowed herself to be led
back to their bed. They lay down and began kissing with renewed passion.

There was a knock at the door. The two girls froze. In a very drunk British
accent someone sobbed "Help me please!" through the door. Buffy said sorry
to Willow and, pulling her shirt back on, went to the door and answered it.
A very drunk, battered, bruised and crying Spike fell into the room. Spike
could barely move he was in so much pain. It took Buffy and Willow together
to drag him down the hall to one of the bathrooms. Once there they locked
the door, Willow ran a hot bath and Buffy removed Spike's clothes.

Once in the bath they dealt with Spike's injuries. Three fingers on his
right hand were broken. His left arm was dislocated. When Buffy had stripped
him they're had still been a knife in his right leg. Most of his ribs were
broken and he had 32 bruises in total. Willow and Buffy washed and dealt
with those injuries they could.

Spike kept fading in and out of consciousness as he told them exactly what
he'd done since that morning. Willow was shocked to hear about the Angel
part, Buffy was just sad to hear his name. Apparently Spike had left Angel's
had far far too much to drink, beaten some people at cards and let his mouth
get the better of him. The end result was bar room brawl with Spike being
the centre of attention. They were all human. Spike got slaughtered. He
barely had the strength to drive to Buffy's.

Once he was clean and bandaged the girls put Spike in their bed and he fell
sound asleep. The girl's were watching him and about to leave when he came
around. "Wha' where am I? Oh yeah thish must be Buffffysh's bed" Spike was
still very drunk "Theresh shomthin' I must tell you Boooofy" Spike giggled
"Your name ish funny,". Buffy lost her patience "What is it Spike?". Spike
became serious "In the pub one of them was a a a vampire an he shaid that he
couldn't believe it was a worthless corpse like me that was involved in the
new prophecy.." Spike burst into tears before falling into a fitful sleep.

Buffy looked at Willow, at the same time they thought 'great another
prophecy'. Willow hugged Buffy to offer her support and they were about to
kiss when the phone rang. Buffy answered so as not to wake Spike "Hello?
Giles, let me guess there's a new prophecy, I'll tell you how I knew when I
see you. Me and Willow will be right over, okay, I'll see you soon." All
hell only broke loose on a night like tonight, Buffy thought .............

TBC

MR

~RITERAITH~