Fic: The Wolf Within (16/?)

TITLE: The Wolf Within
AUTHOR: Erin (erin@xxxxxxxxxxx)
SPOILERS: None, really.
RATING: PG-13 at worst, because of some violence. It is a
Buffy/Willow fic, so if that bothers you, or it's illegal to even
think of a Slayer and a Witch getting it on, then just don't read it.
Or move.
DISCLAIMER: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and all characters belong to Joss
Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and Fox. I'm just borrowing them for a bit.
I'll put them back when I'm done, no worse for wear (but maybe a
little happier). Most of the werewolf stuff is copyright White Wolf,
such as Garou, Crinos, Child of Gaia, Glass Walker, etc.
ARCHIVE: Currently, I believe my stories are being archived at the
following places:
Kim's Corner - http://www.fortunecity.com/village/villageplace/93/
Bill's Page -
http://members.spree.com/entertainment/kerrison29/default.htm
Gary's BtVS Fanfiction -
http://psycho.simplenet.com/fanfiction/index.mv?index+buf
Please let me know if I've left someone out, or if one of the URLs is
in error. Anyone who isn't listed here who wants to archive my
stories is welcome to, just let me know so I can add you to the list.
Thanks.
FEEDBACK: Constructive comments are encouraged.
SUMMARY: (Buffy/Willow) Willow discovers that there is more to her
than meets the eye, and it could tear her life apart.

Part the Sixteenth

Bright sunlight shining in her eyes brought Willow to full
wakefulness. She rubbed her eyes, careful not to disturb the figure
sleeping next to her; she looked down at the blond head fondly,
noticing that even in sleep Buffy held on to her protectively.

She shifted a tiny bit, kissing the top of Buffy's head.
Unfortunately, this also brought a corner of the dusty fur that served
as their blanket right underneath Buffy's nose; she snorted, then
sneezed, startling herself awake. Willow giggled.

"Wha's so funny?" Buffy mumbled, rubbing her hand over her face.

"You," Willow replied, kissing Buffy soundly, and pulling her into a
big hug. "You don't know how glad I am that you're ok."

"Count me as a big ol' likewise, babe," Buffy said, smiling at her
lover delightedly. "Not to look a gift life in the mouth, but do you
have any idea _why_ we're ok?"

Willow frowned, remembering the events of the night before. "I'm not
sure, the last thing I really remember is..." she shuddered, not
wanting to remember the feel of Oz's talons tearing through her skin.
"I woke up sometime after, and I think we were rescued, but by who or
what I'm not sure."

Any further conversation was forestalled by Buffy's stomach, which was
protesting its emptiness in a very vocal fashion. Willow laughed
again and jumped out of bed, her feet touching the cold, dusty floor.
Their backpacks had been placed next to the large, wooden bed they
both had slept in, so Willow grabbed hers and began to rummage through
it, looking for powerbars. Unfortunately, it appeared that they had
none left.

"Bad news. Looks like we finished off our last powerbars already,"
Willow said, watching Buffy stand and stretch. The sunlight played
over Buffy's limbs, and the mild ripple of muscles under skin always
fascinated the redhead.

"What's that?" Buffy asked, pointing at a large kettle warming over a
banked fire in the fireplace.

"Dunno, could be laundry for all I know."

Buffy lifted the cast-iron lid and peered in, sniffing experimentally.
"Smells good for laundry."

"It's soup, and you can help yourself if you like." A deep voice
startled them both. The source of the voice was standing in the open
doorway, a canvas bag slung over his shoulder.

The man was nearly wider than the doorway itself, Willow noticed. He
was very tall and broad, and his long salt-and-pepper hair and beard
nearly hid an omni-present smile. His faded denim jeans and flannel
gave him a Grizzly Adams appearance.

He walked in without another word, and set his canvas bag down on the
rough-hewn wood table. Coming to stand in front of the girls, he held
open his arms in a welcoming gesture. "Be well, young sisters.
Welcome to the knowledge of Gaia and Her creation. Be easy in all
your forms, and walk lightly upon the Earth. I am Artur Mountainwind,
Gurahl Tale-spinner of the Mountain Guardians. To meet you is my
honor." He inclined his head out of respect for his guests, and they
did likewise.

"I, um..." Willow was unsure how to respond after the formalness of
the man's greeting. Still, she gave it a valiant try. "I am Willow
Rosenberg, Garou Theurge of the Glass Walkers, and this is my
companion Buffy Summers, the Slayer. The honor is, um, ours."

Artur smiled at the two girls. "Geth-Uzmati," he said, turning to
Buffy. "We have known about your kind for millenia. It was because
of the Gurahl that Gaia created the Slayers as protectors of mankind
against the Pattern Breaker." Knowing the questions that the two
girls would want to ask him, Artur held up a large, weathered hand.
"But you are hungry, and the Ritual of Hospitality dictates that first
you must break your fast. Please sit." The two friends looked at
each other and then sat around the large table while Artur filled up
earthenware bowls and plates with food.
Setting the food on the table, he said, "Take this fish and these
berries. The berries are the fruits of Gaia, which I bequeath to you.
Their sweetness is all we need to tell us why we nurture Gaia's
creation. The fish has been salted to remind us of the tears that
have been shed in protecting Gaia. The fish has given of itself so
that we may nourish ourselves; we honor its sacrifice. Never fail to
offer Gaia's bounty to any in need."

He poured large mugs full of water from a clay pitcher. "This is
fresh spring water. It symbolizes life. Drink, and gain the wisdom
of Gaia."

The two girls drank deeply; Willow noticed how refreshing and clean
the water tasted, not at all like "natural spring water" found in
supermarkets, and certainly a far cry from city tap water. It was
cold, crisp, and slightly sweet, and she found it very refreshing.
The three of them ate in silence; it seemed almost sacreligious to
disturb the peacefulness of the meal.

Buffy thought about the different family dinners she had gone to over
the years, and how often her grandparents would say 'Grace' before a
meal. They always thanked God for their food, but never did they
actually thank the food itself. She began to wonder why not.

Finally, when they had eaten their fill of the fish soup and berries,
Artur leaned back and regarded his guests seriously. "I am sure we
all have many questions; so since you are my guests protected under
the Ritual of Hospitality, I will let you ask yours first."

Willow and Buffy exchanged glances, and after a moment Willow asked,
"You are a werebear? A, um, Gurahl?"

Artur nodded. "I am."

Willow relaxed somewhat. "I'm sorry, I just didn't realize what kind
of, uh, reception we were going to get, seeing as how I'm Garou and
Buffy is human."

"You have no need to fear that." Artur smiled at them. "We Gurahl
are protectors and healers. We enter combat only rarely, and then
never without good reason. Only those corrupted by the Pattern
Breaker have any need to fear us."

"You said you knew about the Slayers," Buffy said. "And how the
Gurahl created them?"

"Actually, Gaia created them," Artur corrected. His eyes became
distant, the flickering firelight reflecting in them like dark,
underground pools. The girls listened with rapt attention to his
story. "In the early days, Man had a difficult time surviving in the
harsh wilderness. He was without claws, without fangs, without speed,
and without strength. We had sympathy for Man, and helped him build
shelter, make tools, and hunt and dig for food.

"As the human settlements grew, the Soul-Dead known as Vampires came
in to hide among the cities and prey on the weak. Thus the Pattern
Breaker was served as more corrupted, soulless creatures were spawned.
Night by night they ravaged the human cities, spreading their plague
of corruption.

"The terrified humans called out to the heavens for a savior, one who
would protect them from the Soul-Dead just as their hunters protected
them from the wild beasts. Our Kinfolk brought this before us, and we
brought it before Gaia. We pleaded with her to help Man fight against
the Pattern Breaker's minions, for we knew then that Man would be a
force in the world, and could tip the scales of the war. The Great
Mother said to us, 'If you can find someone who is willing to fight
and die on behalf of Man, I will make of him a savior.'

"So we went into the human cities, and asked for one who would be
willing to take on the burdens of a savior, one who would fight and
die for their people. We travelled from city to city, and found no
one who was willing to stand up to the horrors of the Soul-Dead.

"Finally, in a small village, we found someone. Not a warrior, or a
hunter, but a young girl, one who loved her people and wanted them
safe from harm. She boldly stepped forward and said, 'Wise ones, I
will give my life to save those of my people. I would do it ten or a
hundred times if I could, for I love them.' We heard the voice of
Gaia, then, and She said, 'So it shall be. This young girl and those
who come after her will be the saviors of Mankind, and they shall slay
the Soul-Dead who prey on her people.'

"And so it was from that moment on that one young girl is chosen to
receive Gaia's gifts and be the savior of mankind, fighting the
minions of the Pattern Breaker to protect her people." Artur fell
silent, his tale finished.
"How much of this is true?" Buffy asked, quietly. "I mean, I've heard
stories about how the Gurahl were jealous of Garou, so they started
fighting, and stories about how the Garou demanded obedience and the
other shape changers didn't like it... I guess I'm wondering what the
heck I can believe."

Artur just smiled. "That is something you have to find out for
yourself."

* * *

Oz paced the dark cave, rubbing his arms vigorously as if to ward off
a chill. That...thing...had killed Anoorach and had taken the two
girls to god only knows where. It was all he and Onaalth could do to
get away before they were torn to pieces as well.

Oz looked over at the jackal-headed Spiral, who was busy whimpering
and whining in his sleep. Sickening. He had tried to convince Oz to
return to the Caern, to gather more Spirals, but Oz had refused. He
wasn't leaving here until Willow was his again. He had even refused
to sleep, because he could no longer bear the nightmares.

When it grew dark, he would track them and find them.

* * *

"Sir, were you the one who rescued us last night?" Willow asked.

Artur nodded. "I found two brave souls who were fighting for their
lives against the minions of the Pattern Breaker. I brought you both
back here for healing, since you were sore in need of it."

"Thank you." Willow bowed her head respectfully. "We, that is, Buffy
and I, were looking for you. I am on a quest, and I had hoped that
you would be able to help me with it."

"What desperate situation has befallen the Garou that they would send
a questing pup after a member of my race?" Artur asked, smiling
faintly.

"Well, sir," Willow began, "one of those Black Spirals we were
fighting last night is...was...a friend of ours. He was taken by the
Spirals and turned to the Wyrm -- er, Pattern Breaker."

Artur's smile faded, and he fixed a sad gaze on the two girls. "I am
sorry to hear that. The Pattern Breaker touches many, and his touch
always brings corruption. Still, I don't know why you came so far to
bring this news to me."

"One of my teachers thought that you knew of a way to cure Wyrm
taint."

The Gurahl stroked his beard thoughtfully. "The problem is not only
the taint, it is also the madness, correct? The madness could quite
possibly be cured, but I know of no way to cure a minion of the
Pattern Breaker completely."

Willow felt her heart sink with bitter disappointment. After they had
come so far and fought so hard. She swallowed, feeling Buffy's hand
cover hers. Then Oz was well and truly dead if even the Gurahl could
not help.

"So there's nothing we can do?" Buffy asked quietly.

"The spirit of Bear teaches all the Gurahl our healing gifts. He has,
on occassion, been known to teach certain gifts to Garou as well. You
may be able to call upon Bear, and He may deign to teach you something
that would help. But the confrontation would be dangerous; Bear is
not forgiving toward those who slaughtered His children."

Willow raised her head, looking Artur in the eyes for the first time.
Her tear-stained cheeks looked flushed, but she swallowed and said,
"If that is what it takes, I'll do it."

* * *

The late afternoon sun shone down on the small forest glade. There
was a tiny, bubbling spring here, just outside the cabin, and the
musical sound of rushing water was helping Willow focus her thoughts.

"You must be purified of mind, body, and spirit in order to survive
your confrontation with Bear; if you have any lingering doubt you must
rid yourself of it before the ritual," Artur had told her.

The crunching sound of boots on dirt and leaves told Willow that Buffy
was walking up behind her. Sure enough, a quiet voice said, "Willow,
please don't do this."

"I have to, Buffy. It's the only way I can save him."

Buffy crouched down next to her, hand clutching her shoulder tightly.
"Will, please. I almost lost you last night. It...it would have
killed me. Will," she said, raising Willow's face to look into her
own, "I can't live without you."

The redhead's eyes filled immediately with tears. "God, Buffy, I
wouldn't want to live without you. But I can't...I have to do this.
I can't turn my back on it now, not after everything that's happened.
Not after everything I know now."

Buffy dropped her gaze, and asked in a quiet voice, "Aren't I worth
more to you than he is?"

Willow nodded, tears spilling down her cheeks. "Yes, Buffy, you're
everything to me." She stroked one downy-soft cheek with the back of
her hand. "I've never loved anyone as much as I love you right now,
and every day I love you more.
"But what I'm doing isn't just for Oz. It's for you too. You saw the
Spirit World -- everything is slowly being drowned in _poison_. You
can fight it, but you can only fight so much.

"Every night you go out to risk your life, killing vampires and
demons, stopping apocalypses, all to save your friends and family.
This is something _I_ can do, something to stall the poison and let
us all live a little bit longer. I can do this, Buffy. Please
believe in me."

Willow felt herself get wrapped up in a hug, Buffy holding her tightly
to her. "God, Will," she said, voice roughened by tears. "I do
believe in you. I just worry so much about you, you know? I've been
doing it for so long now, I'm used to being everyone's protector."

Willow smiled, her lips brushing Buffy's neck. "I know."

"Ok. Well, I won't say I won't worry, but I believe in you. If
anyone can do it, it's my bad-ass werewolf." Buffy smiled, and hugged
Willow even tighter.

Willow allowed herself to remain in the embrace for several minutes,
gaining strength and comfort from her lover. Finally, she said,
"Thank you. It means everything to me that you believe." She gave
Buffy one final hug, and then stood. "Ok, I think I'm ready."

The two lovers allowed themselves one final kiss, and then they headed
back into the cabin.

END Part 16
--
Faith: "Ready to cut loose?"