FIC: In a Minute (1/1)

Title: In a Minute (1/1)
Author: Kimber (kacoe@xxxxxxx)
Disclaimer: All BTVS characters belong to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy.

Serendipity and J&J Xena Site. Anyone else, e-mail me please.
Author's Notes:
-----------

1:30am

One second. She?s here, looking at me from across the room and I
suddenly think: How the hell did someone like me get so damn lucky?
What do I have to offer her? Well, other than anything she?s ask for
that is. Every word in the dictionary strung together coherently is
still an inadequate attempt at describing who she is, and what she has
suddenly started to mean in my life.

Two seconds. Now she?s smiling. Wow. I mean. . .wow. That?s a great
smile to have really. I hear my inner voice say, ?is that for me or is
someone else standing behind me?? I quickly dismiss the thought when
she beckons to me with a quick movement of her head. Yeah, it?s for
me. And look at that! The smile just gets wider upon my approach.

Five seconds. She touches my arms lightly and drops her head in that
shy, really cute way I could never get tired of. Damn, did I do that?
Lifting her head with my finger, I smile back.

?What??

?Nothing.?

?Really??

Nod. ?I just, um, really like you.?

Smile. ?I really like you too.?

Ten seconds. . . .and the kiss is just. . .wow. Again. I really need
to study up on that new fangled book called the dictionary, ?wow? has
suddenly become my favorite word. Not much of a vocabulary for a
college student, I know, but can I help it if all motor function goes
out the window when she?s -thisclose-? . . .and the neck thing. .
.where?d she learn to do *that*? I get a shiver and realize that it
doesn?t matter where she learned it, as long as she keeps doing it.

Twenty seconds. I could really get used to this stand and snuggle
thing. We just, I don?t know. . .um, ?fit? I guess? I don?t know how I
manage it, but another thought creeps into my head. How could anyone
think this is wrong? Someone our age was killed only a few states away
almost two years ago simply because he suggested it. Here I am actually
doing it. I hold on just a little bit tighter, she doesn?t seem to mind
and nuzzles my neck in response.

Forty seconds. Laying on the bed, lazily running my fingers up and down
her arm. . .starting to get lost in the chocolate brown eyes. *This* is
what it?s all about. Saying without speaking ? feeling without having
to second guess ? knowing the answer without having to hear the
question. It?s all about being on a journey. We?re lucky when we can
find someone willing to walk the road with us, even if it?s only for a
short time. The beginning of the journey is always the best part
though. Getting to know each other, telling secrets, repeating the
tragic stories of our past, and finding out when it was that we stopped
believing in monsters under the bed. I sigh. . .don?t you just wish you
life consisted of beginnings only?

?Something wrong??

?No. You?re just. . .so adorable.?

Blush. ?Thank you.?

Fifty seconds. She closed her eyes a few seconds ago. Now comes the
part I like: Wacthing her sleep. It?s been a rough day, hell, it?s
been a rough life. Things are never easy and life sure doesn?t come
with an instruction booklet. I?m just struggling alone, same as anyone,
trying to find my place amid the confusion and chaos and hurt. It?s not
about sexual attraction for me ? it never has been. I can go without,
probably longer than most. It?s about that pull you feel, not in your
heart, but in your soul. It?s like a physical ache, but more acute and
tuned in. I can?t describe it. If I?ve learned anything in life, I?ve
learned that my body is just a temporary housing, a vessel. It?s a
storage containment for something even more beautiful ? the human soul.
I sigh again and she snuggles closer. Did I mention that I could really
get used to this? Where was I? Oh yeah, we?re souls with bodies, not
bodies with souls. If the hate mongers and the preachers and the
bashers thought about that long enough, well, maybe they?d see that it
isn?t just two women lying here. Maybe they?d see that it?s two people
who connect and enjoy each other and are that much better for it. That
there were, at one time, two souls rattling around searching and
desperate to find something to cling to. Now, there are two souls that
are silent and content and anything but desperate.

One minute. I push some stray hair away from her forehead and she
smiles in her sleep. Leaning in, I kiss her shoulder lightly and . .
.there?s that smile again. Yeah, I could *so* get used to this.

1:31am and all?s well.

FINIS

--
----------------------------
http://www.kimbers-corner.net

"Seduce my mind and you can have my body but find my soul and I'm yours
forever" -- "To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to
achieve distinction." -- "Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and
it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems
like a minute. That's relativity." -- "Love is friendship set on
fire." -- "Everybody is somebody else's weirdo." -- "I refuse to
enter a battle of the wits with you. It's against my morals to attack
an unarmed person." -- "I'm like a mosquito in a nudist camp; I know
what I should to do, but I don?t know where to start!" -- Reality is a
just temporary illusion caused by a lack of alcohol in the
bloodstream." -- "I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have
been more specific." -- "I like long walks, especially when taken by
people who annoy me." -- "Madness takes its toll. Please have exact
change." -- "There is a fine line between the sane and the insane. I
walk that line. Walk with me."