The Phone (rated: 12)

The Phone
by Ryan
Rating: 12 (British system)
E mail: ryan.hufton@xxxxxxxxxx or ryan.red@xxxxxxxxxx
Disclaimers:
1. Willow and co. are owned by Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy and WB.
2. Song: It's Just Another Morning Here by Nanci Griffith from the album
Late Grande Hotel
3. No copyright infringements intended.
Feedback: Please, please. I need feedback OK It makes me write more!

<The telephone is ringing' in the middle of the night
And I pull the bed clothes higher
Will it stop calling out if I turn on the light?
I'm afraid of these shadows here
'Cuz my past is truly frightening
And I'm afraid of the warmth in the down
of a feathered heart in flight >

The phone next to the redhead's hotel bed began rang. She pulled the bed
clothes higher. In her half sleeping state, she will the phone to stop
ringing. To her this was still the middle of the night. The shadow's cast
by the early morning light, on the faded wallpaper appeared to be her
personal demons.

<It's just another morning here (it's morning)
It's just another morning here
It's just another morning here (it's morning)
And it's a miracle that it comes around
every day of the year >

The phone kept ringing. She slowly opened her blood shot eyes. The first
rays of sun hurting her sore eyes. She sighed heavily and covered her ears.

<The neighbours scream and their baby cries
I'm hiding in the corner
I won't be them, pray I won't be them one day
Maybe it's just the breath of August
so hot upon my shoulder
Or an open window for a winged heart
to fly away >

Though the thin walls of the hotel her heard a baby scream and a couple
yelling. Willow's mind screamed. 'Never I won't be them, one day!' The
phone carried on ringing. Had someone found out she was here? Did that
person know she was heading to Sunnyhell? Willow knew she was going to be
driven out of this bed. She knew it was that phone's fault.

<It's just another morning here (it's morning)
It's just another morning here
It's just another morning here (it's morning)
And it's a miracle that it comes around
every day of the year >

She closed her eyes and reached out for the phone. She picked it up.
"Hello."

"Ms Rosenberg, this is Carl Hardwick. I was wondering, if you could help
me?" A man's voice came over the phone.

"With what?" She put on her best false voice.

"Council business." He replied.

"You know what you can do with your council business!" Willow yelled,
slamming down the phone. Her relationship with the council was strained at
best. Several curses and swear words came from her mouth.

<It's just another morning here (it's morning)
It's just another morning here
It's just another morning here (it's morning)
And it's a miracle that it comes around
every day of the year >

Willow sighed slipping out of bed and heading into the bathroom. She turned
on a tap and let the water run into the sink. She splashed the cold water
on to her face. She thought of all the chances she had for love over the
years. Ruined by one man's actions. Her oldest friends turning against
her, Amy and Xander betraying her. Costing her the ability to trust anyone
even Giles.

<The telephone is ringin' in the middle of the night
I pull the bed clothes higher
Will it stop calling out if I turn on the light?
I'm afraid of these shadows here
'Cuz my past is truly frightening
And I'm afraid of the warmth in the down
of a feathered heart in flight >

She realised then she was afraid of being in love. Afraid of even the love
of friend. The phone began to ring again.

The End?