FIC: The Ties That Bind (2/?)

TITLE: The Ties That Bind (2/?)
AUTHOR: Kimber (kacoe@xxxxxxx)
DISCLAIMER: All BTVS characters belong to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy.
RATING: High PG
SUMMARY: The Scoobs are torn apart and try to come together five years later to save
their relationship and an old friend.
SPOILERS: Branches off to an alternate reality during the Yoko Factor.
DISTRIBUTION: Pat Kelly, Rodrigo, Gary Thompson, Syrenslure, Serendipity and J&J Xena
Site. Anyone else, e-mail me please.

-----------

?Willow? Come on Willow, we?re here.? Tara was gently shaking the redhead in the
passenger seat.

?Hmm?? Willow opened her eyes and looked around confused. ?Oh. . .I was kinda hoping
this was a bad dream.? She sat up and stretched then looked over at Tara. She had a
wounded expression on her face. ?I?m sorry, but you know I was anything but keen on this
twisted little reunion.?

Tara sighed. ?I know. It?s just. . .? She made a face. There wasn?t really any use in
getting into it again, especially after the last fight they had. ?Shouldn?t we, um, go
inside??

Willow gazed out the window at the all too familiar apartment complex. She, Buffy, Xander
and Anya had so many great picnics right there on the bench. . .and the path leading down
the stairs to Giles?s door. How many times had she and Tara walked that path hand in hand
on their way to a Scooby meeting?

?Willow.?

She turned and smiled. ?I know. Can?t put off the inevitable, right??

Tara nodded and placed her hand over Willows. ?Just know that I?m h-here for you.
Always.?

A bit of concern crept across Willow?s face. Tara only stuttered when she was very
nervous or upset. This had to be hard on her too. ?I do know.? Willow turned to face
her and took a firm hold of her hand. ?Tara, you know how much I love you, right? I?ve
said things to hurt you, God, I?ve even made you cry. . .but you know I still love you as
much as I ever did. Right??

Tara nodded. ?I know this has been h-hard on you and I can?t help but feel responsible
for most of it.?

?You?re not responsible. They made their choices, and so have I. Never once did I regret
leaving here with you five years ago. I?m better for it, for being with you and if they
can?t see that then it?s their loss. Okay??

?Okay.? Tara smiled. She brought Willow?s hand up to her lips and kissed it gently.
?Ready??

?Ready.?

---------------

He saw them pull up. Saw the driver wake the passenger. He imagined that Willow was the
one who was sleeping. This had to be difficult for her, more difficult than Xander or
Buffy could even begin to understand.

In the middle of the night sometime around 3AM two weeks ago, Tara called Giles crying
uncontrollably. It took him a good fifteen minutes to get a coherent word out of her, and
even then he had to sort through what she was saying between the hiccups. Willow was in
trouble so deep that she couldn?t see it for herself. It was then that they devised a
plan to get her back to Sunnydale. She?d be told that Buffy wasn?t herself and it was as
good a time as any for the gang to reunite. It wasn?t really a lie, more of a nice
healthy stretch of the truth. Giles had hoped that Tara could pull it off. A phone call
three days ago confirmed that they were on their way.

Now here was the moment of truth. Willow and Tara were about fifty yards away from the
?family? they?d left five years ago. The minute they walked through that door it could
all fall into place or all fall apart.

?When did they get here?? Buffy asked from behind Giles.

?About five minutes ago. I thought we?d give them a few minutes to get their bearings.
The rain has let up some. Perhaps they could use a hand with the baggage.? Giles turned
around and saw they were both standing behind him. ?Shall we??

They both nodded silently and followed the Watcher out the door.

----------

Tara?s smile switched into a neutral expression. ?We have company.?

Willow closed her eyes and took a deep breath. ?The three musketeers are waiting for us
to get out.? She ran her hands nervously though her hair. ?Just like them to gang up on
me and I?m not even out of the car yet.?

?Willow. That?s not fair.?

Willow shot Tara a look that when right through her. ?Don?t talk to me about what?s
fair. You want to know what?s not fair??

?Can we not do this? They?re waiting.? Tara pleaded.

?Let them wait then. Five years have gone by, what?s five more minutes.? Willow sat back
against the seat and folded her arms across her chest.

Tara shook her head and opened the door. If Willow was going to have another one of her
tantrums, she?d have to do it alone.

----------

?Tara.? Giles smiled.

?Mr. Giles. It?s nice to see you again.? She smiled back at him. ?How have you been??

?Fine. Just fine. Can we help you with the bags??

?Yes, please.? She made her way to the front of the bug. ?We weren?t sure how long we
were going to be here so we packed a little bit of everything.? She unlocked the trunk
and began to pull suitcases out. After a few minutes all the bags were laid out on the
sidewalk and Tara noticed them all staring at the pile as if it were going to grow fangs
and bite them.

Giles ventured a guess. ?Um, magic??

Tara nodded and smiled. ?Yes. There was no other way we were going to fit everything
into such a tiny car. A small chant and everything fit in.?

?Is she going to spend the night in there or what?? Xander finally broke his silence and
motioned to Willow in the passenger seat.

Tara looked up at him and shrugged. ?She?s not very happy right now.?

?Now that?s an understatement if I ever heard one.? Buffy replied none too nicely and
shot a look at Tara.

?You j-just have to give h-her some time right now.? Tara managed to say.

Buffy opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by Giles. ?Why don?t the
three of you bring the bags inside and I?ll see to Willow.?

?But Giles. . ? Xander began.

?No. Do as I say, Xander.? He warned.

Tara began gathering the bags and eventually Buffy and Xander followed suit. Giles
watched them with mild interest until all the bags were in and they had no excuse to come
out again. He approached the driver?s side door and got into the car.

He sat there for a few moments giving Willow enough time to speak. When she didn?t he
decided to tread very carefully. ?How was the drive? I trust you didn?t encounter bad
weather all the way here??

?Fine. Weather got bad when we crossed the city limits. Must be a sign.? She mumbled.

?Willow. . .?

?Don?t Giles. Don?t try to give me Watcherly advice or tell me it?ll all work out and
it?s for the best and how much I?m needed and missed. I already did that dance with
Tara.?

?Fine, fine. Well, there isn?t much more I can say to you then. I?m glad you agreed to
come. I know it?s been a long time, but I do think it will be good for all of you to be
together again. Perhaps work things out??

?We?ll see.? Willow finally unclasped her seatbelt and turned to him. The first thing
she noticed was that he?d gotten more gray hairs. The second was the lines in his face.
He looked old, older than she remembered him being. Guess that?s what living on top of a
Hellmouth will do to a person. She was silently glad she?d gotten away when she did.
?You look. . .different.?

He smiled. ?I suppose five years will do that to a person.? He paused a beat. ?You look
well. I am very glad to see you, Willow. I hope you know I?m sincere.?

She offered him a very small smile. ?I know Giles. It?s good to see you too. I think I
agreed to this trip more to see you than the other two inside.? A sudden realization hit
her. ?Are Buffy and Xander inside??

?Yes, yes they are. They helped Tara bring in the. . .oh, dear.?

?You left them alone with Tara?? She hopped out of the car.

Giles finally caught up to her near the steps. ?Willow. I?m sure they?re fine. It has
been five years and they?re all adults. They can handle themselves.? A loud crash could
be heard from inside the apartment followed by muffled yelling.

Willow gave Giles her best ?I told you so? face before making a beeline to the front door.

Giles stood there for a moment and shook his head. ?Or perhaps I?m giving them too much
credit.?

-------

That's all for now folks. Keep feeding me though...the feedback is very very yummy and my
imagination thanks you for it *grin*....oh, and just so you know, this is a
fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants fic...meaning I have no clue where I'm gonna wind up next
with it.....any and all suggestions are welcomed.

--
Your humble bard and Rodrigo's dedicated love slave,
~~Kimber

Shadowlander's #1 fan and her 'Official Un-Official Idea Bouncer Offer'
Pat Kelly's #1 fan and his 'Offical scene runner-by-er'
Now self-proclaimed #1 fan of AMGlass!!!

'Exquisite Coalescence' - Your source for BuffySlash fiction on the web. Coming soon!

- Eternally jealous of Erin 'cause Joss and Fury impersonated her. *grumble*
- Member of THE CITIZENS OF KANE - I have Christian's tousled hair on retainer
- Member #102 of the Amber Benson is a Hottie Club
- Humble reciever of Joss love --- Joss says: (Wed May 17 14:05:24 2000 152.163.205.76)
Hi, Kimber. I give you love. There is a squishy element to it that I'd rather not discuss.
But it's pudding-free.
- VERY humble reciever of an e-mailed "DAVID FURY-LOVE" ---I love you, Kimber. There,
happy? :-) Fury --
- SO's to all VIPS - Alyson, Amber Benson, James, Nicholas, Anthony, Jeff, Joss, SMG,
Eliza, David, Seth, Marti, Jane, Sophia, Fury and last but never least, Erika from Velvet
Chain (my fellow Duran Duran lover)!!!!!!
- Keeper of Tara's ability to make Willow's eyes sparkle in "Superstar."
- Keeper of Tara's smokin sleeve ability in "Superstar."
- Keeper of Tara's stutter when she says the word Scoobys in "New Moon Rising."
- "Heavy lesbian witches rock!"

Final thought:
"One out of every ten people are born to give the other nine trouble. Guess what number I
am."