FIC: The Ties That Bind (4/?)

TITLE: The Ties That Bind (4/?)
AUTHOR: Kimber (kacoe@xxxxxxx)
DISCLAIMER: All BTVS characters belong to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy.

RATING: High PG
SUMMARY: The Scoobs are torn apart and try to come together five years
later to save their relationship and an old friend.
SPOILERS: Branches off to an alternate reality during the Yoko Factor.
DISTRIBUTION: Pat Kelly, Rodrigo, Gary Thompson, Syrenslure,
Serendipity and J&J Xena Site. Anyone else, e-mail me please.

-----------

Two years previous. . .
New Orleans (The French Quarter)

Willow made her way up the block. It was around 2AM and she had finally
finished her shift at the local magick shop. Friday nights were the
worst, especially around a full moon. She put her key in the lock of
the double front door and it creaked out a welcome as she opened it.
The old house had been a steal. It dated back to the 1800?s and still
had a slaves quarters in the back. The previous owners were anxious to
get rid of it because there had been some ?strange? occurrences as of
late. Bottom line was they thought it was haunted and wanted to get out
of there post haste.

Tara and Willow moved in three days after they saw it for the first
time. It was exactly what they?d needed and were looking for. It had a
living room, dining room, sitting room and kitchen all on the first
floor. The kitchen had a walk in pantry and there was a dumb waiter
hidden behind one of the panels in the dining room. On the second floor
were three very large bedrooms. Tara and Willow took the room with the
most sunlight in the morning and the other two were converted to a
computer room and a Wiccan room respectively. The house needed a
paintjob badly ? and the wrap around porch was in bad need of a new
screen all around. Especially since winter was almost over and the bugs
would be coming out soon.

She dropped her keys on the small table in the hallway and stood there
for a moment and closed her eyes. The scent assaulted her at once. The
warm sweet smell of home, hers and Tara?s.

?Your late tonight.?

?It was a rough night. I swear, if I had a dime for every wanna-be
wiccan in this town we could retire on the Riviera. I had one guy come
in and swear that he was a cave dweller in a past life. Oh, and those
creepy twins came in again spouting off about their ?master? again.?

?There?s something about them, Willow. I?m not sure what it is but,
please be careful around them.?

Willow walked into the sitting room and sat down in her favorite chair.
?I will be. I still say they?re harmless though. Just another added
bonus of the towns quaint charms.?

Tara rose from the sofa and stretched. ?I just wanted to make sure you
got in alright. I?m going up to bed. Coming soon?? She closed the
distance between them and pushed some stray hairs away from Willow?s
forehead.

Willow looked up at her and smiled. ?In a few. I just want to unwind a
bit.? Tara kissed her on the top of the head and made her way up the
stairs.

Willow sat in silence for a few moments listening to the house. It
spoke to her sometimes through the creaks and moans every old house is
infamous for. Willow was one of the few people that listened, really
listened, and the house was telling her a storm was coming ? a very bad
storm. Somewhere in the back of her mind she knew this, but wasn?t sure
how. She pulled a crumbled piece of paper out of her purse and read
it. She?d been reading it over and over all night and by now she knew
the words by heart but still had to look at it because she couldn?t
believe what she was seeing.

Dear Proprietor,

Your presence is required and sought after by our Master. There are
troubled days coming, long troubled days indeed. Only the Master can
save the Daughter of the First Blessed. Only you can help. Two days
from now, at the witching hour, in the woods behind St. Anne?s. All our
lives depend upon it.

~~T&T~~

Willow folded the paper up and placed it back in her bag. She knew full
well who the Daughter of the First Blessed was ? it had to be Buffy.
The Chosen One, The Daughter of the First Blessed, The Slayer. . .she
had these titles imprinted on her brain from the day she found out about
Buffy?s status. The minute she got the note from the creepy twins she
decided it was best to investigate for herself and leave Tara out of
it. There was nothing she could do to help, and the note was
specifically addressed to her after all. Now all she could do is wait
the two days and meet this ?Master?.

She made a mental note to look through the books she had with her about
a prophesy. The books were nowhere near the collection Giles had, but
they?d proved useful before. She turned off all the lights and headed
upstairs to bed. No use in worrying about it now.

---------------

Willow stood in a clearing in the woods behind St. Anne?s Cathedral.
The scent of Magnolia?s hung thickly in the air and there was a warm
breeze coming in from the east. Every nerve in her system screamed at
her to leave this place, but still she stood and awaited the arrival of
the one who had summoned her. This was a place of magic and rituals ?
she could feel it in her bones.

?It was wise of you to come alone.? A soothing female voice came from
nowhere. It was as if it totally surrounded her.

?What do you want from me?? Willow tried to sound brave.

?Ahh, cut right to the chase without wasting time. A witch after my own
heart.?

The creepy twins appeared from out of the shadows and flanked her. They
smiled broadly at her and stood at attention about five feet from her
side.

?There is a great disturbance in the balance and order of things to
come. Only you can avert the consequences and save The Daughter of the
First Blessed.?

?The Slayer.? Willow smirked. ?Why can?t I see you??

?Because you are looking with your eyes, child. You must first look
with your heart.?

Willow smirked again. The voice was definitely beginning to grow on
her. She wasn?t sure why, but she felt safe. Suddenly a small
lightening-bug looking thing flitted around her face ? she tried to swat
it away but it was too quick for her. The light settled on a low branch
in the giant oak in front of her and morphed into human form. ?A
sprite?? Willow asked.

?No. Not a sprite ? though I do envy their footloose and carefree
attitude ? hardly know what it?s like to do a little work. Wish I was
so lucky. No, I am a Dryad or Tree Nymph, and this is my home, my
lifeline.? She gestured to the grand oak she was sitting on. ?I am the
guardian of the tree of life and I am in danger. This is why I turn to
you. The Slayer will be in danger, and that is why you would have come
to me on your own. We must not waste time and that is why I contacted
you now.? The Dryad floated down to the ground and gestured for Willow
to come closer. Willow sat down next to the Dryad in the grass. The
Dryad continued her story. ?The Tree of Life has been well guarded
since the beginning of time. Through trickery and black magic, it?s
source has been discovered by a powerful demon ? the same demon that is
to kill the eldest Daughter of the First. I require your help young
one.?

?Me? What can I do? I?m not even that powerful.? Willow shook her
head.

?Oh, but you are. You are more powerful than you know. One does not
reside on the mouth of Hell without receiving some of it?s after
effects.?

?Is this The Tree? How is Buffy in trouble??

The little nymph gave off a sweet melodic chuckle. ?One question at a
time my dear. This is not The Tree of Life. The Tree resides between
this world and the next. Well protected I can assure you. For now that
is. As for your Slayer friend. There is a demon to rise and it is
foretold that he will bring the death of the eldest Daughter, unless of
course you find a way to stop it. After he kills her, he will drain her
of the essence of the Slayer. A demon as old as this in possession of
the Slayer?s essence is virtually unstoppable. He will undoubtedly find
his way to the Tree of Life and destroy it. This will create a tear in
reality and all of the beasts of hell will pour out onto this earth.
Human existence will simply cease to exist.?

?But why me? How can I stop him??

?You will find a way. Your connection with the Slayer is important,
that is why I have chosen you for this task. You alone know the danger
faced by the Slayer on a daily basis. She has saved mankind more than
once, and more than once you aided her in that quest with you knowledge
of magic.?

?I still don?t understand.?

?Allow me to start from the beginning then. . . .?

--------------

Present Day. . .

Tara woke up slowly and instinctively reached over to the warm body next
to her. Well, if there was a warm body there to begin with. She opened
her eyes and squinted at the bright sunlight pouring into the room.
Willow was sitting in a chair next to the window watching some children
play on the swing set just outside of Giles? apartment complex.

Tara sat up and stretched. ?How long have you been up??

Without looking over, Willow responded. ?About an hour. Hope I didn?t
disturb you.?

?Not at all.? Tara checked her watch. ?Willow, it?s 9:00 in the
morning. You never get up this early on a Saturday.?

?Couldn?t sleep. Must be the old familiar vibes of the Hellmouth.
Makes my stomach all tumbly.?

Tara got out of bed and walked up behind the redhead. She placed her
hands on Willow?s shoulders and began to rub them. ?So tense.? Willow
simply nodded. ?I. . .I love you. . .you know that, right? I mean I
worry about you and if anything ever h-happened to you I?d??

Willow reached up and touched Tara?s hand. ?I know.?

Tara walked around the chair and knelt in front of Willow. ?They love
you too. They only want what?s best.?

?I want to believe that, but so much time has gone by and so many bad
things have been said. Really bad things.? She pouted a little.

?I know. I was there. Remember??

Willow nodded and finally looked at her. ?What. . .what are we doing
here? They can?t help me, no one can.? A protest formed on Tara?s lips
but Willow reached up and pressed her finger to Tara?s mouth. ?I know
you said Buffy was in trouble and maybe that?s true. But I also know
you know about the mark and that you called Giles. I can do simple
addition you know.? She smiled faintly. She wasn?t mad really, just
resigned to the fact that she?d been caught.

Tara?s eyes fell. ?I can?t help you. Maybe I?m too close to the
situation, maybe I?m too worried and maybe it?s not my help you want.
Either way, someone has to do it and if anyone can, it?s Mr. Giles and
the gang.? She looked up at Willow hesitantly. ?You?re, you?re not mad
at me??

Willow cupped her face with her hand. ?I was but. . .? she shrugged.
?I know you worry and that I?ve put you through a lot. I?m in over my
head.? She frowned and swallowed hard. ?I never thought I could feel
so. . .I just want things right again. I want me back, all of me but I
don?t see how. . .?

Tara kissed the palm of her hand. ?I know.?

Giles knocked on the door and called to them. ?If you girls would get
dressed I?ll make some breakfast.?

?Thank you Mr. Giles.? Tara called back. She turned back to Willow.
?How did he know we were up??

Willow shrugged. ?Must have heard us talking. Come on.? She rose from
the chair and put her hand out to Tara. ?Let?s get dressed and go eat.
I forgot how much I missed Giles? pancakes.?

------------

Buffy and Xander were sitting at the table when Willow and Tara finally
came out of the back room. Willow stopped dead in her tracks and looked
over at Giles.

?I, um, thought it would be nice if we all had breakfast together. It
has been a long time since we were able to do so.? He smiled at them
and gestured to the two empty chairs. ?Please, sit.?

Buffy sat at one end of the table and the two chairs next to her were
open. Either way, Willow had to sit next to her. With a heavy sigh she
sat down on Buffy?s left and Tara took the seat to right.

The meal began in relative silence with minor tension. Giles finally
looked at Tara and smiled. ?I hear things are well with your store? I
have an old friend that lives in the district. He says business is
wonderful for you two.?

Tara smiled back. ?Yes. We?ve been open for three years now and have
some regulars.?

?What kind of store Giles?? Buffy asked.

?It?s a, um, magic shop from what I understand. You also run seminars.
Correct?? He looked back at Tara.

?Yes.? Tara replied. ?Those are the most fun. You get to meet a lot
of interesting people. A lot of crazies too.? She smiled. ?There?s an
old slaves quarters off of the house we bought. That?s where we hold
the seminars.?

Buffy looked at Giles again. ?Wouldn?t a slaves quarters be just
totally eww? I mean those things date back to like the 1800?s. I?ll
bet it?s all dusty and creepy and stuff.?

?Actually, Willow and I did all the work ourselves. Some of the
neighborhood kids pitched in too. They?d do anything for their ?Miss
Willow?.? Tara smiled at her.

Willow smiled back. ?Yeah, the kids are great.?

?I didn?t know you ?set up shop? so to speak, Will. Thought you?d move
back here at some point.? Xander chimed in.

?No. We?re very comfortable where we are.? She remarked.

Tara looked over at Xander. ?We?ve invested a lot of time and money in
the house and the shop. As it is, we?re working on paying off a fifteen
year mortgage and two loans we had to take out for the store.? She
looked back at Willow. ?It was worth it though.?

Willow nodded and smiled back.

?So if you invested all this money, who?s taking care of your store
while you?re gone?? Xander directed his question to Willow again.

Willow looked up at Tara and gestured for her to answer. She knew what
Buffy and Xander were trying to do and it wasn?t going to work.

?We, um, have a few f-friends from the coven we belong to running it
now. They can take care of things w-while we?re gone.? Tara was
becoming uneasy yet she tried to smile through it.

?Never figured you for a coven-gal, Will. Thought you liked practicing
alone.? Buffy sipped her juice.

Willow sat there for a few moments and stared at her plate. She swore
that she wouldn?t let them get to her like this but enough was enough.
?Why don?t you ask Tara how we got into the coven. She tells the story
better than I do.? She looked directly at Buffy.

Buffy looked back at her but was unable to answer. She put her juice
down and shoveled another forkful of pancakes into her mouth.

?I thought so.? Willow finally said. She got up from the table and
tossed her napkin onto the plate. ?You know, for someone who is turning
twenty-five soon, someone really needs to teach you some manners.?

?Manners?? Buffy got up now and pushed her chair back. ?Me? My
manners are fine. Someone should teach you how to dial a phone
sometime. It?s a great new invention you know. . .reach out and touch
someone.?

Willow expression went from annoyed to angry in no time. ?Oh, how about
if I reach out and??

?That?s enough!? Tara yelled.

They both looked over at her, shocked.

?You two were best friends at one point now look at you! Your not even
in the same room for more than ten minutes and your at each other?s
throats. If this is what our whole visit is going to be like, I may as
well pack my stuff now and save you both the trouble of running me out
of here. I can?t take this!? She got up and ran off to the back room.

?See what you did?? Willow looked accusingly at Buffy.

?What I did? How about you??

?Enough, both of you. I?ve had quite enough of your petty nonsense
already and Willow and Tara haven?t even been here for twenty-four
hours. Now if you can?t get along then just don?t speak to each other.
Buffy, you can stay away from here and report your patrols into me by
phone and Willow, you and Tara can stay as long as you wish. Xander can
putter around the basement and none of you will have contact with each
other for another five years. Is that what you want?? Giles looked
around at the three of them. ?Well is it??

?This is crazy.? Willow stormed off to the backroom.

?Giles. . .? Buffy started.

?Would it kill you to look at her? To have a small conversation with
her? Is that really too much to ask? Both of you can make this visit
much more pleasant if you?d only try. I feel like I?m dealing with a
bunch of two year olds.? He shook his head and began to clear the
table.

?Let me help.? Buffy picked up a plate.

?Yeah, Giles, let us pitch in.? Xander got up from his chair.

Giles looked up at her. ?I think you?ve don?t quite enough. Both of
you.?

--
Your humble bard and Rodrigo's dedicated love slave,
~~Kimber

Shadowlander's #1 fan and her 'Official Un-Official Idea Bouncer Offer'
Pat Kelly's #1 fan and his 'Offical scene runner-by-er'
Now self-proclaimed #1 fan of AMGlass!!!

E x q u i s i t e + C o a l e s c e n c e
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
http://www.redrival.com/exquisite
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
F/F Slash fiction & artwork for the Buffy and Angel show

- Eternally jealous of Erin 'cause Joss and Fury impersonated her.
*grumble*
- Member of THE CITIZENS OF KANE - I have Christian's tousled hair on
retainer
- Member #102 of the Amber Benson is a Hottie Club
- Humble reciever of Joss love --- Joss says: (Wed May 17 14:05:24
2000 152.163.205.76) Hi, Kimber. I give you love. There is a squishy
element to it that I'd rather not discuss. But it's pudding-free.
- VERY humble reciever of an e-mailed "DAVID FURY-LOVE" ---I love you,
Kimber. There, happy? :-) Fury --
- SO's to all VIPS - Alyson, Amber Benson, James, Nicholas, Anthony,
Jeff, Joss, SMG, Eliza, David, Seth, Marti, Jane, Sophia, Fury and last
but never least, Erika from Velvet Chain (my fellow Duran Duran
lover)!!!!!!
- Keeper of Tara's ability to make Willow's eyes sparkle in "Superstar."

- Keeper of Tara's smokin sleeve ability in "Superstar."
- Keeper of Tara's stutter when she says the word Scoobys in "New Moon
Rising."
- "Heavy lesbian witches rock!"

Final thought:
"One out of every ten people are born to give the other nine trouble.
Guess what number I am."