Re: [buffywantswillow] OT: The calling of a new slayer

At 01:39 AM 6/5/00 -0000, you wrote:
>I'm curious about how a new slayer is called. I'm working on a story
>and would like some input on this topic. My dilemma is that in the
>movie (if memory serves) it was mentioned that Buffy was called later
>than normal (was older than most when called). Yet in the series we
>have Kendra and every indication is that she knew before she was
>called and had been training since she was young. If there is
>foreknowledge of who the next slayer will be why wasn't Buffy told?
>And what would happen if a slayer-to-be is killed through some
>accident or even a deliberate act. For instance, what if Kendra had
>been killed in an automobile accident a few days before Buffy
>died/drowned. Is there an alternate slayer list? Maybe that was the
>situation with Buffy - the primary slayer-to-be was incapacitated so
>Buffy was pressed into action. Anybody else have any input on this
>topic - Please?

Okay, quick answer since I'm not supposed to be here.... From what I've
gathered, there is, at any given time, a pool of slayer candidates. A group
of girls scattered around the world who have the potential to become
slayers. It was established in the movie that all these girls have a
birthmark, which is pretty much how the watcher's council identifies them.
I'm assuming that the council would take and train any of these girls it
could get ahold of, like they did with Kendra. When the slayer dies, one of
the potential slayers gets the slayer powers. The council just has to
figure out which one got called. Since there is a group of potential
slayers, all with equal odds of becoming the next slayer, getting rid of one
of them wouldn't do any harm. The power would just pass to a different
potential slayer. The girls who are never called probably end up becoming
watchers if they were taken and trained by the watchers, or just going on
with thier lives if the council didn't grab them.

According to the movie, Buffy was missed completely as being a potential
slayer because she had the birthmark removed before the council noticed her.
Merrick told her that they had been searching for her for months. They
probably checked all the candidates they knew about first, figured out that
they missed one, and then had to track Buffy down.

tater (Vegetables of the world unite!)