FIC: Terra Australis (1-1/?)

Part 1/? of Terra Australis

AUTHOR: Tony McDonald
EMAIL: CDRERamius@xxxxxxx
FEEDBACK: Better or Santa will drop coal in your stocking.
DISCLAIMER: Don't own them, never have, never will. I wrote this out
of love for the show, not profit. No evil intended Joss.
RATED: M 15+
SUMMARY: A stranger arrives in Sunnydale, marking the beginning of
change in the relationships between the Slayer and her friends.

The path of love for our Slayer and favourite Wicca is long, twisted
and never easy. But persevere, love will always win through. This is
set in my own little universe which is a bit different to the shows.

<> indicates thoughs of character

Spring in Sunnydale. Normally a time to be happy. The long dark
winter nights are past, warm sunny days, new life emerging after the
winter slumber. And a time for romance. At that thought Buffy
frowned. The course of love for the Slayer and her friends was a
treacherous one. She sighed as she recounted how each had gotten to
this state.

After the disaster of Parker, Buffy had all but given up on
relationships. Then came Riley who ignited the old lusty feelings
again. All seemed to be going well, even after she found out about
Riley and the Initiative. However it became apparent that things
between them couldn't work in the long run. The events of last year
leading up to the death of Oz completely turned Buffy against Riley.
She both disliked and distrusted him. Then there was the small matter
of lusty feelings for a certain friend...

Xander, "can't win for losing guy", definately had had a rough trip
down lovers lane. Miss French (the Praying Mantis), Ampata (the life
sucking Inca Mummy), godd old Cordelia (what was he thinking?), Faith
(psycho Slayer), and lastly Anya. Having become mortal, Anya
discovered sex and Xander. At first it was purely physical, but
Xander began to fall for her. It was at this point that Anya decided
to explore sex with other men, and took off in search for the perfect
orgasm (or something like that). Xander was now spending alot of his
time listening to country music ("the music of soul destroying pain"
he once described it).

Then there was Willow. Buffy's bestfriend was no better off than the
rest of the Scooby Gang. First Oz slept with another werewolf,
Veruca, which was bad enough without the fact that Willow discovered
the two of them naked in Oz's cage. After killing Veruca (and very
nearly Willow) Oz left. Heart broken, Willow found another person to
love.
Admittedly the fact that it was a big breasted blond wicca by the
name of Tara, threw Buffy (not to mention Xander). Unfortunately it
was not ment to be and again Willow was left heartbroken. Then Oz
returned to ask for Willow's forgiveness. The bright spark which
should have lit Willow's life was snuffed out. The First Evil arose
and once again the gang were fighting for the world. Oz was killed
and very nearly was Xander who, despite his hatred for Oz, tried to
sacrifice himself for Oz. For ten long days Xander hovered between
this world and the next. The strain of it all nearly killed Willow.

Buffy shook her head in an effort to remove the thoughts from her
mind. <A good hard run, followed by a quick shower and some slayage
should do the trick>. Exercise and killing big honking evil was a
Slayers comfort food.

Down at the track Buffy started to stretch and took the opportunity
to look around. The first thing she noticed was the battle going on
in the centre.
It was not quite a battle in the strictest sense of the word. A group
of twenty or so guys were playing some form of game. It took Buffy a
while to deduce that it was some kind of football game which had no
apparent rules other than destroy the player with the football.
Players were punching and kicking the ball around, tackling, and
smashing into each other.

Then out of the melee one of the players managed to pick up the ball
and kicked it. It was a big kick, huge infact. A small knot of
players at the far end of the field jostled for position to catch it,
all the while keeping their eyes on the ball. One set of eyes Buffy
noticed belonged to Riley. His bulky frame ensured that he would be
in position to catch the ball.
Then at the very last moment a player scrambled up Riley's back and,
kneeling on Riley's shoulders, caught the ball in his out streched
hands some 12 or 13 feet in the air. Both Riley and the jumper
crashed to earth with a bone crunching thud.

"Wow! Did you see that Buff?" Willow exclaimed, startling the Slayer.
"Willow! Scare me to death! What are you doing here? I thought you
had an essay to write."

"It's finishedso I decided to come here in search of you. Say isn't
that Riley over there? If you want I could turn him into a rat or
something." Willow offered.
Buffy looked back at Riley who was very slowly and unsteadily getting
to his feet. The jumper was racing down the field in persuit of the
ball, showing none of the effects of the fall.

"I don't think that will be needed just at the moment. I think he is
in enough pain as it is." Buffy turned to her friend. "You know what
I need? A holiday. A week or two away from the Hellmouth, and slaying
and vampires. Just leave all the troubles behind and lay on a beach."

"Well you know what they say, a change is as good as a holiday."
Willow quipped. Buffy glared at the red head. "Then again maybe not."
Willow said meekly.

Buffy turned to see Riley chatting to the guy who had jumped him.
Riley turned for the change rooms and Buffy heard him say to the
jumper "OK, just before dawn at the cemetery." Riley then made his
way (rather gingerly) back to the change rooms.
Buffy's eyes narrowed at the conversation. Riley, at the cemetery, at
dawn. It could not be any good what ever was planned.

"Willow, how about you and I go to the cemetery, say around dawn.
Just for a change?"

In the pre-dawn light Buffy and Willow patrolled the cemetery. "What
ever Riley is up to it can't be any good." Buffy muttered for the
tenth time in as many minutes.
"What ever it is Buffy, it isn't vampires. Sunrise is only a few
minutes away." Willow told her friend. It was at this point that
Buffy saw them. In the war cemetery was 6 or 7 figures gathered
around a headstone. Each figure held a candle and appeared to be
chanting or reciting something.The Slayer and her friend crouched
behind the low hedge which surrounded the war cemetery and Buffy
strained to hear what they were saying.
"...grow not old...not weary...condemn...going down of the sun...we
will..."

"What are they saying Buff?" Willow whispered. Buffy said nothing but
placed her fingers on Willow's lips to silence her while Buffy used
her Slayer hearing to listen to what was being said. It was no use
because what ever it was had end. Buffy recognized Riley and the
Jumper from yesterdays game.

"See you later Riley." said the Jumper in an accent that Buffy could
not quite pick. Buffy watched the figures depart. Still watching them
Buffy said to Willow "OK I think there gone. We should see Giles and
tell him what..."
Buffy looked at her friend. Buffy's fingers were still on Willow's
lips and Willow was looking at her in a way that Buffy had not seen
before. Thoughts flashed through the Slayers' mind <lusty feelings
for about Willow. Bad Buffy! Bad Buffy!>
Willow gently kissed the Slayers' fingers. The world seemed to
contract until there was no one execpt for the two of them. Buffy
closed her eyes as sparks shot down from her fingers and down her
spine. She moaned and began to squirm.

Just then a dog started barking. The pair leaptd to their feet, ready
for an attack. But there was no attack, and the two began to relax
and start breathing again. Willow looked frightened and began to
stutter "I...I... I'm s... so sorry... B... Buffy..." The Slayer
looked at her friend and grabbed her hands.
"Don't be sorry, I really liked it and..." Buffy looked down at her
feet and then back at Willow with a coy look on her face "and it's
too early to disturb Giles with this just yet. So let's go back to
the dorm and maybe..." the coy look had gone from Buffy's face,
replaced by sheer lust "you could help me wash my back? What do you
say Will?"

Willow said nothing, unable to say anything. Her fantasy was coming
true. All she could do was nod dumbly as Buffy lead her out of the
cemetery and back to the dorm. Willow's last thought as they left the
cemetery was to wonder how Buffy would react when she found out that
Willow had been borrowing Buffy's underwear.