FIC: Enough of Me (Epilogue)

Title: Enough of Me (Epilogue)
Author: Kimber (kacoe@xxxxxxx)
Disclaimer: I am a gnat in the world that is Joss. All characters belong to him and
Mutant Enemy. I'm only borrowing them.
Author's Notes: Feedback = Food. Thoughts are enclosed in < > and flashbacks are
enclosed in <<< >>>
------------

He crouched down next to his companion, both watching the fight ensue nearby.

“What do you think?”

“I think they can handle it. You?”

“Yeah, but I have a funny feeling about this one.” He motioned to the masked figure
currently on the wrong end of a high kick. “It’s un-nerving. He’s human but he’s
strong. I recognize the scent he’s putting off but I just can’t put my finger on it.”

He glanced up at the dark-haired man, then turned his attention back to the fight. “Yet,
she had a bad-ass Wicca to fight next to her, so, there’s an upside.”

They watched the fight continue and Willow appeared from behind a tree. She chanted some
words, raised her hands in the air, and swiftly planted an energy ball at the feet of
Buffy’s opponent. The fight stopped, Buffy turned to Willow in surprise, and the opponent
took that opportunity to high tail it out of there through the bushes.

“I don’t like it, Oz. He’s working for someone . . or with someone which is worse. I
can’t fight the feeling that it’s not over yet.” He brought his hand up to his chin as if
in contemplation.

Buffy and Willow exchanged some dialogue they couldn’t hear, then headed off in the
direction of the dorms.

Both remained in the bushes until the two girls walked out of sight. “I think it’s safe
now. We should go.”

No answer.

He rose to his feet and his companion glanced up at him. “Come on, you can perfect your
brooding skills on the ride back to LA.”

“It’s not over yet. We should stick around.”

“If you insist. After all, you’re the expert on lurking.”

----------------------

“. . .the point is that I was handling it. I didn’t need your light show to bail me out!”

“Buffy, you were getting your ass kicked out there. I was only trying to help.”

They walked into the dorm room, Willow flipped on the lights and Buffy stomped over to her
side of the room and tossed her bag into the closet. It had been a month since they’d
faced Arthur and won.

“Of the two of us, which one is the slayer here? I can handle myself and my slaying, I
don’t need you momming me. Last time I looked, this job wasn’t opening up.”

“I was only trying to help. It looked like you were in trouble so I . . .”

“Jumped in with your Samantha routine.”

“That wasn’t very nice.”

“THAT was the truth.”

Willow got up off the bed and headed for the door. “I really don’t need this right now. .
.” She opened the door and slammed it behind her.

-------------

She wasn’t sure where she was heading as long as it was away from her. Things had gone
seriously downhill since Christmas and neither one of them could figure out why. It
wasn’t all bad all the time, but each one felt like the other was on a different page
sometimes.

Willow found herself at The Grotto. <May as well have some coffee. I don’t think I’ll be
going to sleep anytime soon.> She walked in, ordered and sat down at a nearby couch.

“Willow?”

She looked up and saw him. <I really don’t need THIS right now> “Jeff.” She had to
admit to herself, he looked good except for the shiner he was sporting under his left
eye. “What happened to you?”

He walked around the couch and sat next to her. “Two hand touch football with the guys.
Some one has to explain the rules to them.” He shrugged and gave her a sheepish grin. “I
haven’t seen you around lately. How have you been?”

“Good, I’ve been good. Keeping busy with classes and the computer lab.”

“Willow . . .I just wanted to apologize for the way I acted last time I saw you. It
wasn’t me, really, and I feel really bad that I made you cry.”

”Forget it, Jeff. It’s over . . .I’m over it, really.”

”No, I need to explain. See, Veruca and I, well, we had something. I knew she was . .
.you know, grrr, but it didn’t matter to me. I should have kept a closer eye on her. If I
had then maybe. . .”

Willow’s eyes went wide with surprise. “Wow, you knew? But it’s not your fault. Veruca
was responsible for her own actions, not you, and Oz was responsible for his.”

He smiled. “How’d you get so smart?”

“I had some help.” Her mind drifted to Buffy and the fight they just had. “Listen, I
should get going. It’s late and I have a class at nine tomorrow.” She rose to leave.

“Let me walk you back. It’s the least I can do since I was so horrible to you.”

”Okay.”

--------------

Buffy looked out the window again. Willow had been gone only an hour, but she was worried
none the less. She knew after all, what lurked out there in the darkness. Probably
better than anyone.

She’d been feeling strange this past month. She was more sensitive than usual to anyone
helping her fight the good fight. She noticed that every time a fight ended and a vamp
was dust at her feet, she could still feel it there, like it was lingering and didn’t want
to give up.

She also wasn’t sure why she freaked out on Willow like that. She’d only tried to help
the way she did a thousand times before. Now Buffy felt guilty for driving her away and
making her leave.

-----------------

They approached the door and Willow pulled out her key. She hesitated and Jeff noticed
it. “What’s wrong?”

“Hmm? Nothing. I had a fight with Buffy earlier and I’m sure she’s still in there and .
. .”

“You don’t have to go in if you don’t want to. We can sit and talk . . .”

“I don’t know . . .”

“Come on . . .what could it hurt?” Without waiting for an answer, he ushered her away to
the lounge.

------------

One hour later.

“…she just doesn’t want my help anymore. I don’t know what to do.”

Willow had explained more or less, the problem she was having with Buffy. Avoiding all
the vampire and prophesy stuff, she did a pretty good job of it.

“She’s crazy not to want you around to help her all the time. If you were my best friend,
I’d never let you out of my sight.”

”That’s sweet, Jeff.” A thoughtful look washed across her face. “Maybe it wasn’t such a
great idea for us to room together after all. We have opposing personalities, she’s messy
and I like order, she loves to cut loose and I love to sit and read a good musty old
book. Totally different.” She sniffled and wiped a threatening tear from her eye.

“You could be right. Maybe you two just need some time apart. Chris and I decided not to
room together . . .best idea in the world. He just can’t seem to keep his dirty socks on
his own lamp.” She chuckled a bit. “Yeah, you think it’s funny . . .do you have any idea
what warm week old gym socks smell like?” He crinkled up his nose to demonstrate the
point.

Her mood lightened a little. “Thanks Jeff. I really needed a laugh.”

He put his hand on hers. “You should really do that more often. You have a great smile
you know.”

She glanced down and noticed his hand. <Now how did that get there?> She felt the color
rise in her cheeks and tried to pull her hand away. “Jeff, I don’t think this is such a
good idea. . .”

He leaned in “Do you know how cute you are when you get nervous?” He hesitated a moment
then leaned in some more, just brushing her lips with his. “I think you’re beautiful,
Willow.” He kissed her again with more determination this time. “And I intend to show
you just how beautiful you are . . .” The sentence was broken by yet another lingering
kiss. It was passionate, desperate . . .sensual.

Willow gasped at the invasiveness of his lips. Definitely not like kissing Buffy.
Buffy’s softer and more gentle. Not like Oz either . . .he had more stubble. Suddenly
she realized what was happening. <Kissing Jeff, kissing Jeff…..I can’t be kissing
Jeff!> She pushed him away at arm’s length. “I can’t . . .”

“But you just did. Didn’t you like it?” He was puzzled.

“Yes . . .no, I mean I can’t I’m . . .involved with someone.” She rose to go and he rose
with her.

“Willow, wait. . . .please don’t go.” He reached out and touched her shoulder. “We were
just getting started.” He looked at her with a gleam in his eye.

She couldn’t think . . .couldn’t respond. It was like she was crazy-glued to that spot
and not even an earthquake was going to make her budge.

He took the opportunity to kiss her again. This time when she gasped, he took it as an
invitation to deepen the kiss. He reached up and let his hand get lost in her silky
hair. After a few seconds, he pulled her in closer and enveloped her in his arms.

As soon as she moved, she realized again what she was doing. She allowed him to pull her
in and then suddenly planted her knee snuggly in his groin. He immediately fell to the
floor and doubled over in pain.

“I don’t know what you think your doing, but you won’t be doing it again mister!” She
stormed off to her room.

He could do nothing but curse under his breath and try not to move.

---------------

She crept into the room, hoping that after all this time, Buffy was sound asleep. No such
luck.

Buffy looked up when she heard the door open. “Hey.”

Willow jumped a little at the sound of the slayer’s voice but didn’t respond. She walked
over to her bed and sat down with her back to Buffy and put her head in her hands.

<Will>

<. . . .>

She got up and crept over to the bed and sat down behind the redhead.

<Come on, Will. I’m sorry.>

<. . . .>

“Damn it. Don’t shut down on me, not again.” Buffy reached out and touched her shoulder.

She bent a little under the slayer’s touch. All the words swirling around in her head
were trying to force their way to the surface but she wasn’t sure she wanted them to.

“Hey.” Buffy tried again.

Willow let out a sigh. <Hey yourself>

“No cheating, Will.” Willow huffed a little at her choice of words. “Turn around and
talk to me. I want to look into those beautiful green eyes when I grovel for your
forgiveness.”

She turned around slowly, unsure if she was really able to face her.

Buffy quickly enveloped her in a hug. She began to rub her back soothingly and play with
her hair. “I’m so sorry, Will. My mouth runs away from me sometimes. I didn’t mean what
I said before. I wish I could take it back.”

She couldn’t take it. “Buffy I . . .I’m sorry too, I didn’t mean to. . .”Her voice caught
in her throat.

Buffy pulled away to face her. “No, it was my fault. I never should have attacked you
the way I did. You were only trying to help” Buffy looked at her questioningly.
<Something’s different.> She leaned in and sniffed her shirt. “Will, you smell
different. You smell like . . .you smell like a guy!”

<Great, now she’s a bloodhound.> Willow looked at her and couldn’t deny it. She also
couldn’t bring herself to say anything yet.

Buffy saw the guilty look on her face and wasn’t sure how to take it. “Will?”

“Jeff” She whispered.

Buffy couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “What about Jeff?” She quickly got to her
feet.

“I went to the Grotto . . .I only wanted coffee . . .he was there . . .we talked and he .
. .made a pass at me here in the lounge. It happened before I knew it was happening! I
didn’t mean to do it, I swear. Before I knew it he was kissing me and . . .and . . .”
She broke down and cried.

Buffy stood there for a few moments with her mouth open. “He what!? Did he hurt you .
.did he, I mean . . .he didn’t . . .”

“No, he just kissed me. Twice.” She finally looked up and saw Buffy’s expression. “I’m
sorry, I didn’t mean to. He was being so nice . . .a-and he apologized for everything he
said. . .I didn’t want to . . .Buffy, please say something.”

A few moments passed and Buffy broke out of her silence. She looked calm. Too calm.
“I’ll kill him.”

Before she knew what was happening, Willow watched as Buffy became a blur running out the
door.

--------------

“She looks a little miffed.”

The were watching Buffy go to town on the masked opponent again. He got a few sucker
punches in, but he soon found himself on the business end of a right-hook. He stumbled
back a little dazed.

He looked over at his companion. “Still the king of under-statement.”

“Long arduous hours of practice.” He dead-panned.

-----------------

Willow ran up the path and noticed Buffy fighting. “Buffy, be careful!”

Buffy turned at the sound of her voice and the figure jumped her from behind. They
wrestled on the ground a little. He was on top of her and she brought up her foot to kick
him back, but not before grabbing the ski mask and pulled it off. He fell backwards into
the bushes but quickly recovered and was on his feet again.

Buffy got up and looked over at him in shock. “I can’t believe it.”

Willow ran over to where Buffy was standing and stopped cold in her tracks. “Jeff?”

He was crouched in a defensive stance and breathing heavily. He looked over to the
redhead. “She doesn’t deserve you, Willow. She’s not good enough for you.” He raised
his hand in a beckoning motion.

She didn’t know what was happening. She was walking slowly towards Jeff, unable to stop
herself.

Buffy shook herself out of her reverie. <Magic? Jeff knows the dark mojo?> She quickly
advanced on him and tackled him to the ground gaining the upper hand by getting on top of
him.

He held her at arms length. “You don’t want to fight me.” He looked into her eyes. “You
know she belongs with me.”

Willow saw the fighting stop and saw Buffy freeze under his gaze. <Two can play at that
game.> She chanted a few words and suddenly Buffy was flung back off of him and at her
feet. “He’s using magic Buffy. It’s his eyes. He has will-bending contacts in. I’ve
read about them but . . .man, he must have paid a fortune for those!”

“Gotcha, Will. Be right back.” She advanced on him again. He’d scrambled to his feet
and was ready for her. He rushed her but she sidestepped easily. He turned around and
tried for a left-hook but she ducked and slammed him on the back of his head as hard as
she could.

Willow heard her make contact and saw two green sparks fly from his eyes. She chanted,
raised her arms, and a red spark flew from her hands to where she’d seen the contacts
land. As soon as the spark hit the contacts a large explosion occurred and both Buffy and
Jeff were flung backward from the blast. Willow ran to Buffy’s side. “Buffy, are you
okay?”

She sat up. “Fine, Will. Remind me NEVER to make you angry.” She looked over at the
fire in the grass. “I don’t want to find myself on the business end of one of those.”

Jeff was kneeling in front of the fire. He got up and turned around to face the girls.
“Are you nuts? Do you have any idea what I had to go through to get those?” He put his
hands to his head in frustration. “Man! My dad’s gonna kill me!” He got up and started
to pace.

Buffy looked amused. “Um, your dad’s the big creepy warlock that gave you those?”

“No you idiot! My dad’s the demon that made a deal to get those. Now he’s gonna be
enslaved to a succubus for the next 1000 years.” His pacing increased. “I am SO
grounded.”

Willow gave him a look of shock. “You’re a . . .a demon?” She made a disgusted face and
started to wipe her mouth. “Ack, eww . . .demon fluids, demon fluids . . .”

“I’m not a demon. He’s my step-dad. Adopted me when I was two. A friend of my mom’s . .
you wouldn’t understand.” He stood still. “Why am I telling you this?”

Buffy couldn’t resist. “Um, ‘cause you’re a big fat loser that needs magic to win people
over?” She smiled. “Listen you little half-breed. I never want to see you near my
Willow again. Do you understand me?”

“Your Willow?” he gave her a confused look.

Willow stepped up in front of Buffy. “That’s right. I told you I was involved with
someone.” To demonstrate her point, Willow turned around and planted a very passionate
kiss on a surprised slayer.

“Yuck. Oh, man. . . I was just trying to get into your pants when I said . . “ He
realized they weren’t listening. “Never mind. You two deserve each other.” He turned
around and started to walk away but stopped. “I don’t know if I’m grossed out or really,
REALLY turned on.” Buffy glared at him. He raised his hands in defeat and quietly
slipped away.

-----------------

“That does nothing but put a very interesting twist on things.” He smiled to himself
thinking about the display they just witnessed.

“I know what it is.”

“What’s that?” He looked up at the taller man.

“What it was I sensed on him before.” He turned to face the blonde. “Jealousy. He was
jealous of what they shared. . .so jealous that he went to great lengths to get what it
was they have.”

He contemplated the statement. “I see what you mean. Makes sense.”

“They don’t call it the green-eyed monster for nothing.” He stood in silence a moment,
choosing his words carefully. “I didn’t recognize it before . . .probably because I
didn’t want to admit to myself I’d felt the same thing.” He looked in the direction of
the two girls. “Maybe that’s why we’re here.”

Now he was really puzzled. “How’s that?”

“We’re jealous. We now know exactly what we gave up. Maybe subconsciously we’re lurking
around hoping for another opportunity.” He paused. “They’ll be fine as long as they
have each other.”

“Yeah. We’re not gonna get that chance.” He gave his friend a defeated look then glanced
over at the two girls who were retreating up the path. “Come on. I think we need to file
this one under ‘Hellmouth activity’.”

They began to walk. “No, it’s much worse than that my friend.” He paused a beat. “It
gets filed under male ego. . .human emotion. They don’t need us anymore and we didn’t
want to accept that.” He smirked. “And I thought I’d learned every lesson there was in
243 years.” He shook his head. “Go figure.”

---------------

“. . .So, in the plus column, I didn’t kiss Jeff willingly.” She smiled at the blonde in
front of her.

“I’m glad.” Buffy smiled. “I never should have treated you the way I did earlier, Will.
I’m so sorry.”

Willow looked up at her. “We’re both sorry, Buffy. I can’t even begin to tell you how
sorry I am.” She paused a moment in thought. “I guess I was jealous of you a little
bit.” Buffy gave her a surprised look. “You’re the slayer, Buffy. You get to kick
undead ass every night. It’s a good fight and I wanted in. I mean, what can I do?”

“You do a lot, Will. You have no idea how much you help me. If I didn’t have your
support, mixed in with a little mojo, I can’t even begin to imagine what could have
happened to me by now.” She reached over and touched her cheek lightly. “I’m jealous of
you in a way too. I wish I could summon up powers and shoot sparks from my hands.” She
smiled. “Imagine the look on the vampires face . . .”

“Well, the lesson in all of this is that we compliment each other. I have my powers, you
have yours. Together we make a pretty good team. Don’t you think?” She turned her head
and kissed Buffy’s hand softly.

“Mmmm, I can think of something else we’re good at too.”

<You’re bad.>

<That’s not what you said last night.>

<Buffy!!>

That night, they made a great team. Really . . .everyone in the whole wing could attest
to it.

FINIS

~~Kimber
//Comments? Questions? <VEG>//

--
Willow: It's horrible! That's me as a vampire? I'm so evil and... skanky. (aside to
Buffy, worried) And I think I'm kinda gay.

Visit me! http://go.to/KimsCorner