Fic. "Predator 9/10" 'R'

Title: "Predator"9/10
Author: Angela
Copyright: Jan. 14, 2000
E-Mail: glasswrks@xxxxxxxxx
Rating: 'R'
Disclaimer: Joss owns the characters from "Buffy The
Vampire Slayer". I'm only using them for a brief
interlude. No copyright infringement is intended or
inferred. All original characters are the sole
property of the author and can not be used without
expressed permission first. *Ooh* I'm not even sure at
this point if there *will* be any original characters
yet.
Author's Note: I believe this story will be a somewhat
radical departure for me, in regards to the content of
the story. I hope not to disappoint any one who has
read my previous stories with this one. I will be
using a single quotation marks ( ' ) for thoughts and
the asterisk for ( * ) emphasis on words.
LATIN NOTICE: I've used latin text, and they may *not*
be entirely correct.

Part 9

Giles waited until Buffy had come back downstairs with
a shirt, before explaining what he meant. Throughout
his explanation, he realized that he was beginning to
regain the use of his limbs. By the time he was
finished, he was able to stand up and walk around with
Buffy's assistance.

Willow cursed her luck when she was finally able to
open her eyes halfway through his theory and could see
that he was wearing a shirt once more.

"So, what do we do now?" Buffy asked. She really
hoped that whatever the answer was, that it would
entail some heavy-duty butt kicking.

"How are we supposed to find some& *thing* when
it makes everyone involved forget?" Xander asked.

"To tell you the truth. I'm not quite sure.
Having experienced the attack first hand, I am at a
loss. I& I'm afraid I can't help you," Giles said,
remorse coloring his voice. "I'm sorry Willow," he
told her.

"For what?"

"For not being able to protect you," he said.

She was shocked. The very thought that he might blame
himself had never crossed her mind, not a second.

"How do you know?" she asked.

"Um, Xander. Why don't we see if we can find
something to eat?" Buffy said, recognizing the need
for privacy.

"Food? How can you think of food?" he said
watching as Buffy motioned towards Giles and Willow.
"What?"

Buffy walked over to him and propelled him towards the
kitchen.

"I think they need time to talk about this," she
told him.

"Why didn't you just say so?" he asked.

"Giles& Rupert?"

He turned his head towards her. She had never called
him by his first name before.

"What makes you think that you didn't? I& I
mean,
just because I have a few bruises on my neck doesn't
mean that you didn't try to protect me," she told him.

"Willow& that's very kind of you to say."

"Hey, kindness has nothing to do with it. I know
you; at least I'd like to think I do. And the man I
see
before me, would no more let harm come to the people
he cares about& than& than& I would& would& I don't
know. Kiss the Master," she finished. She knew she
could never tell anyone that she believed that
something else had occurred to her while she was
unconscious. She was far too embarrassed.

"Thank you Willow. You have a very rare talent
of
making me feel better," he said, chuckling at the
thought of her kissing the master.

Willow smiled.

"You absolutely astound me," he muttered to
himself.

"Hey Giles! What have you got in here to eat?"
Xander called out.

"Let me check," he answered, slowly getting up
from the couch.

Willow went to him, offering her hand. He glanced at
her, smiling ruefully. He took her hand in his and let
him help. Once again had a brief feeling when he held
her hand. Something& he couldn't put his finger on it.

"Food," he told her, shrugging his shoulders.

"Food," she replied.

They walked side by side into the already crowed
kitchen.

"Xander, for pity's sake. Get your hands off my
biscuits."

***

"Willow, has there been any new developments?"
Giles asked, slowly walking towards her.

"No. Not& not since&"

"Yes. I& I don't understand. Perhaps who or
whatever this was, only needed one last attack?" he
questioned, sitting down gingerly on the couch.

"Are you doing any better?" she asked, concerned
that he hadn't recovered as quickly as the other
victims had.

"I have my good days," he said, trying to
reassure her.

"I wish there was something I could do," she
told
him.

"You do more than I could ever repay you for,"
he
said.

"Are you having any more dreams?" she asked.

"Yes," he sighed, taking off his glasses and
rubbing his eyes. "Every time I have one, I'm
exhausted in the morning," he told her. "And you? Are
you still tired?"

"Sometimes. Giles& you don't think we're sharing
the same thing do you?"

"I'm not sure," he said, having thought about
the
very thing earlier.

"At least there haven't been anymore attacks,"
she said.

"Yes. We must be thankful for that," he said,
absentmindedly rubbing his chest. The bruise had not
faded since his attack two weeks previously. He didn't
tell them that each morning after one of his dreams he
woke sore all over. He would never tell them that he
felt exhausted& sexually as well.

"Is Buffy on patrol?" Willow asked.

"Yes. She should be returning shortly," he told
her.

The door to his apartment opened.

"Hey Will."

"Hi Buffy. I was just asking Giles about you,"
she said smiling.

"How did you do?" Giles asked her.

"Fine. I took out about four of them. Is it me,
or are all vampires dumb?" she asked rhetorically.

"Why?"

"They attacked my at the *lumber* yard."

"Them," Willow answered.

"I take it things went smoothly for you then?"
Giles asked.

"Expect getting a splinter, yeah. Chalk one more
up for the good guys," Buffy replied.

"I guess we should get going," Willow said
standing up.

"Yes. I don't see any reason for you two to hang
about with me," Giles answered, using the ornate
mahogany cane that Willow had given him, to get up to
his feet. He didn't want to use it at first, only when
he stumbled going downstairs that he decided push
aside his feelings of uselessness.

It was heavy, but well balanced. The rubber tip could
be removed and the cane could be used as a makeshift
stake. The handle, which resembled a gargoyle, could,
with a quick flick of his wrist, reveal a sterling
silver blade, which measured at least 24 inches long.

He was quite impressed with it and her generosity.
He'd recovered most of the strength in his limbs, with
the exception of his left leg, which was still weak.
He walked them to the door.

"Do be careful," he told them as they exited the
apartment.

Willow stopped and smiled at him. Walking back, she
placed her hand over his.

"Of course we will. I'm the safest person in
Sunnydale," she told him, kissing him on the cheek.
She walked past Buffy who seemed as surprised by her
actions as Giles was.

He shrugged his shoulders when Buffy looked at him, to
Willow, then once again back to Giles.

"Will! Wait up!" Buffy called out, jogging after
her friend.

Giles closed the door. He walked into the kitchen and
placed a kettle of water on to boil. He slowly raised
his hand to his cheek and smiled.