Re: [buffyloveswillow] Onelist family filter - Please read

Forgive me, digest subscribers, but I'm going to quote
Roman's post in it's entirety before I reply:

--- Roman <rrivaso@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Delurking a bit.
> I think we should not jump to conclusions here. As
> it seems, the Family Filter is not involved in the
actual movement of e-mail within a list, but
> in the process of finding lists to subscribe to on
> the website. If you do a Search on the Onelist
website it will not give back lists with adult
> categorization so that you or your children can't
> subscribe to them if the filter is On. That is why
the link is above the Search engine in the site.
> This is from the FAQ in the Onelist site:
> ---------
> Q. What is the Family Filter?
> A. The Family Filter is an optional setting which
> restricts access to
> adult-oriented content areas on eGroups. Use this
> setting to hide
> objectionable content while you (or your children)
> are browsing eGroups.
>
> The eGroups Family Filter is largely based on
> categorization self-assigned
> by individual moderators, and does not use keyword
> filtering or blocking
> technologies. If you believe that a group is
> inappropriately categorized,
> please contact us with the name of the group.
> ---------
> As I understand this, there is no e-mail blockage of
> any kind. It is just a filter on the Search engine
on the website. The creators (lists' dads or moms) are
the ones that set the category of the lists when they
create them, and the filter use this categories so you
can't find them on the website and therefore you can't
subscribe to them.

> Just my two dinars.
> Roman

Heya Roman!

Always glad to see another lurker delurk!

I had actually read the Onelist FAQ before I decided
to post this to the list. I went ahead and posted
anyway because I still think the warning is entirely
pertinent, for several reasons:

A) Because I'm paranoid. ONElist says the filter is
not keyword based, etc. I'm not sure I believe them.

B) Even if ONElist set up the filter with the best
intentions in the world, intending it to only affect
the search function and not the movement of mail
within the lists, it's still entirely possible there's
a bug in the filter's programming that *does* affect
the movement of mail within lists. I know a lot of
people, and not just people on Yahoo, who are having
trouble getting all their ONElist mail. The Family
Filter and the mail troubles may not be connected, but
who knows?

C) Because it affects *everyone's* search function. I
feel safe in assuming that subscribers to lists such
as "Buffyloves/wantswillow" might well be interested
in other adult rated lists. Because this filter is set
*automatically* to on, they will not find them.

I'm furious that all of the ONElist searches I have
done since this filter was installed (and who knows
when that happened?)have been, not only censored, but
censored without my knowledge. No wonder I haven't
found any interesting lists lately. I have to wonder
if there hasn't been a drop-off in new subscriptions
to the slash lists since the filter was installed.
Can't subscribe if you can't find it.

DG