FF:There but for the grace of getting bit.

Title: There but for the grace of getting bit.
Rating R? or PG13
Disclaimer: All BTVS characters belong to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy.
Note: This is my answer to a challenge. Willow is the slayer. Buffy and
Cordilla are
friends and grew up in Sunnydale.
>From the journal of Buffy Anne Summers,
February 2, 1997
Ok, here it goes. Great start huh? Well let's see what am I doing? Starting
a journal. Why? Because my freak of a step-dad wanted me to record my
thoughts for future generations. You have to understand Giles gets this
whole serious librarian thing going. British librarian thing at that.

You see my father, Hank. (I haven't called him Dad in years.) left my mom in
this Podunk town when I was 3, to find himself. Apparently my dad's self was
at a rich law firm in LA, Wolfman and Hart. He does pay child support, but I
don't think he even remembers my name.

In case you are wondering. Giles promised me no one would ever look at this
diary until I am dead or maybe that's 30. Ok back to the story

So it was just Mom and me. She runs a small art gallery downtown. Then about
3 years ago she met my stepfather. He took a job as the high school
Liberian. Giles is actually kinda neat; I just don't want him to hear me
that. He makes mom happy and she hadn't really been in a long time. So, fast
forward, I'm in high school. A sophomore. I am also a cheerleader along with
my best friend Cordillia Chase. We have been best friends since we were 5.
We became friends when Xander Harris stole her Barbie. I chased him around
the playground and beat him up so he would give it back.

Xander Harris comes from the other side of town. The rich side. His father
owns a series of car sales places. You buy a car in Sunnydale and you buy it
from Mr. Harris. He's also like the most popular boy in town. Personal, I
don't get it. He is cute but not gorgeous. He doesn't play any sports. No
hold that he plays put-put golf. But he is rich and dresses well. Always has
a new car. If you haven't guessed I have never really liked Xander, but
Cordillia does. She is" SO" in lust. She chokes all up whenever he walks in
the room. If I thought it would help I would beat him up and make him take
her out but she would kill me. So she just watches from a far. That and
draws pictures of him.

Which brings me to my next subject. Cordillia. She is great. I love her. She
is on the squad with me, cheerleading though I had to push her into it to
get her to try out. Cordy is kind of shy. She is a great artist. She can
draw anything only she never likes any one to know that she can draw. She is
terrified that her dad will find out. Exactly why this should wig her dad I
am not sure. I just know Cordy becomes afraid when he and a number 2 pencil
are in her bedroom at the same time. Her dad is out of work and he and her
mom drink. A lot! Cordy stays at my house a lot, which leads to another
problem. You see when I say I love Cordy; well I mean I love her like love
her, love her not like a friend love her. But I love her as a friend too.
Well I bet I could vague that up some more if I tried. As long as Cordy has
loved Xander I have been in love with Cordy only if the squad founds out I
would be kicked off cheerleading or banned from the locker room. I don't
know what would really happen I simple don't want to find out.

SO, there it is, the story of my life. Not even worth a post card much less
a dairy. Then she came and my world turned upside down. Her name is Willow
Rosenburg. All 5'4", red hair and a sweet smile of her.

I remember the first time I met her she was standing by the water fountain
getting a drink. I was suffering under the babble of Harmony. I wasn't
really paying attention when I realized Harmony had stopped at the fountain.

"Hey new kid are you done with that."
"AH who me"
"Yeah you nerd, by the way I love the dress. "
"My mom picked it out."
"Glad to see you seen the softer side of Sears.

>From the journal of Willow Rosenburg.
February 2,1997

Giles gave me this new leather covered dairy. He told me it was my duty as
the slayer. I have read lots of watcher diaries. Most are mind numbingly
boring but I have never read a slayer's journal, yet. Then again most of the
slayers before the 1850's never learned to read. The others, I suspect
never lived long enough to fill in their name much less a journal. So the
question is where to start?
Well, I once lived in LA with my parents. I went to Hermy High. I was in the
chess and computer club. I am your basic nerd. Then Merrik came. He said I
was a chosen one. The Slayer. In theory if you are reading this you already
know about watchers and slayers that or you're the little guys with the
white coats come to take me away, Oh MY Oh Me- I love that song.
All right back to the story well after Merrik there was lots of drama. I
found out Vampires were real. Learned to kill them .I burned down the gym.
It was full of Vampires. Then I burned it down again same reason. After I
was kicked out of school. I mentioned the gym thing already. My parents who
were always fighting divorced.
My parents are your average Jewish liberals. They both are college
professors. My mom teachers culture anthropology at UCLA and my dad teaches
archeology at UC Sunnydaly. Well he teaches at UCS now, He did teach at UCLA
but they had cost cuts and they asked my dad to come to Sunnydale. They lost
their resident professor of archeology in Sunnydale to a vampire. I hacked
into the coroner's office for this information. They claimed it was neck
rupture. I know Vampire bite when I see one.
So, dad and I moved to Sunnydale. I was all for it. Merrick had died. I was
kicked out of school. I just wanted to be a normal girl. Go back to being
net girl, the nerd instead of super slayer.

Ok fast forward again. After promising dad not to get throw out of this
school, I went into meet the school's principle. Bob Flukie. He seems nice
but stuck in the 60's. Anyway he gives me this whole speak about getting a
new start at Sunnydale and rips up the transfer paper. Then he tapes it back
together. Then he reads it. He gets to the burn down the gym. He looks at
me, then the paper, then me and then he says in a dead pan voice, "It was a
chemistry experiment gone wrong wasn't it." I just shugged The bottom line
was, he thought I should wait until next year to take chemstry.
>From there the day went down hill. First I bump into this girl. Pretty, Dark
hair but she was a cheerleader. When I bumped into her I dropped my bag. One
of my states fell out and I didn't notice. She gave it back to me later.
Then I go to class only I don't have a book so I end up sharing with this
guy, Xander Harris. His jokes were all growner's but we hit it off. I though
that we might move into that potential friend area. He showed to the library
to get a book of my own.
That is when I meet Giles. He throws down this big old VYMPER book. I freak.
I freak so bad I ran out of the library.
SO then I go to the water fountain to calm down when this annoying blond
cheerleader comes over and insults my wardrobe. Of coarse half the school is
watching. SO while she is ragging my clothes I look at the cheerleader with
her, and I noticed that she is actually angry. And not at me. She is hiding
it but I can tell it's a slayer thing.
Anyway, Harmony, that is the annoying bitches name, storms off saying,
coming Buffy."
Then Buffy shocks me even more She stands there with this killer smile and
says, "Later Harm."
Everyone else disappears, or I was too busy to notice and Buffy says, I am
sorry about that. Harm is a world unto herself. Just ignore her. God knows I
try to. It is good to have you here at Sunnydale."
Then she disappears down the hall, which was good for me, I had stopped
breathing.
Ok fast forward to lunch. I have these classes to catch up on. Getting
kicked out does that. Anyway the school counselor, I won't even began to
tell you what she had to say about my permanent record, anyway she told me
that Cordillia Chase was a great tutor. So I saw her outside all alone
eating yogurt. I book over and ask, "Hey, your Cordillia right?" Not
original I know.
"Yes why."
Ms. Dennis said you might be able to help me get caught up on my schoolwork.
I'm Willow by the way. I'm new."
"Oh, Ms Dennis did say something to me this morning, though I expected, "
Then she stops in mid sentence. I know what is on my records so I can guess
what she thinks. So I say: "To be wearing more leather, and chain smoking."
"Yes," she says and then takes a huge breath and then smiles. I really like
her at this point.
"Willow I would love to help you caught up. I have a free period 6th we
could meet in the library."
I panic. I go into babble mod. "Or not, we could meet some place quieter, I
mean louder. It is just the library gives me the wiggins."
"Most of the kids here feel the same. I just love the library. Mr. Giles
brought all this old books and am I the single most dullest person you ever
met."
"No, I love books too. But I am surprised; you're a cheerleader. I thought."
And this time I stopped and held my breath.
Cordy just laughed and finished for Me." we were all bubble headed bleach
blondes who don't have a brain cell between us. Yeah, unfortunate I know
what you mean."
"Bubble headed bleach blond we are speaking about Harmony right." Buffy said
as she and nice looking guy came up and sat down beside her."

"Harmony would be a good example but we were talking about cheerleaders in
general." Cordillia answered
"Ok, well Buffy's not got a natural blond hair on her head and Cordy is a
major non blond, They get points for that," Jesse joked as he playfully hit
Buffy
"Willow" this joker is Jesse and the not so natural blond is"
"Hey I think we have already met. I'm Buffy and just for the record it I
could be blond like dishwater blond. "Cordially, gave Buffy a funny look.
Jesse continued to play with Buffy's hair.
In silent answer to Cordy's eyebrow question Buffy said "Willow met Harmony
for her fashion revue. "
"I think you mean fascist review," Jesse said.
"Don't let her get to you, Willow, she has to exercise that one brain cell
or it freeze up." Cordillia smiled.
Hey I have a great idea why don't you come to the Bronze with use to night".
Buffy enthusiastically asked.
"The Bronze?"
"A club, It's the only happening place in town. But it's in the bad end of
town." Buffy said
"Where's that? "Willow asked
"About a block away from the good side of town". Cordillia added, "We don't
have a lot of town here"
"What do you expect from a one Starbucks kind of town." Jesse added.
It was at this point that Harmony descended on them. "Well I see some of us
are downwardly mobile. Anyway I just came by to tell you that gym is
canceled today due to the extreme dead guy in the locker room.
I panicked again. "How did he die, were there marks."
Morbid much, I didn't see him" With that she waddled off.
I have to go someplace to do something which is not at all to do with .ah
never mind I got to book." So I ran."
It took me a little while and a picked lock. As a slayer it took me a short
period to figure out it's sometimes better to pick locks then to break them
if you don't wish people to know you have broke in. The dead guy Vamped.
That is when I got pissed. You know what they say about red heads? Well it
is true for me.
So I storm off to the library.

Buffy: I don't play well with others.